Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

Default Re: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    It doesn't matter where in Asia you go, no, no matter where in the WORLD you go, Ash White a hilariously, hideously, unnatural skin color that will never occur outside of the palor of utter sickness of a deathbed.

In other words. To make that look natural on a person, they're dunking her in makeup. And you're going to live with it.

Again. Ash white:

So you know what? Get the frak over yourself.
    FFS will you stop this? The "ash white skin" was actually a mistranslation, and it was posted on previous page. She's described as pale in other parts of books.

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    Nice shifting of goal posts there. We moved from Asian descent to people from Hong Kong or Korea.
    Sigh...

post #19

Orland Bloom looked damn good as Legolas. My problem with going for an Asian actress, is that repeated attempts by Asian actresses (those based in Hong Kong and Korean film industry) to break into Hollywood showed some pretty lame acting if you ask me. Michelle Yeoh is the exception, not the general rule. Im thinking of Independence Day Resurgence, The Great Wall, X-Men Days of Future Past. Oriental Asian culture is just really different... I really don't Witcher to use a Hong Kong or Korean actress. There's plenty of domestic Americanized Asian talent or just use a white cast.

-liberals don't want to ethnically replace white pe.....

Oh wait.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    The latest rumors are that Ciri's casting is actually taking place in Poland, looking specifically for a Polish actress for young Ciri.

https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/com...regarding_the/

Man, it's gonna be sad if people spent all this time and energy being angry and racist over nothing.
    Yeah these ing racist s trying to push an Asian actress for a pure European white one. I'm glad they got scared and came into submission.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

I think that it is likely hyperbolic to care much about the non-protagonist's race casting (let alone that asians can look similar to 'white' europeans anyway). I personally wouldn't care even if they had cast a black person as the Witcher - but that is because i don't care about the Witcher/never played it
    That said, when compared to garbage casting like the recent one in Bbc's 'Troy', this show seems to be staying clearly out of such errors and unneeded controversy
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    I think that it is likely hyperbolic to care much about the non-protagonist's race casting (let alone that asians can look similar to 'white' europeans anyway). I personally wouldn't care even if they had cast a black person as the Witcher - but that is because i don't care about the Witcher/never played it
    That said, when compared to garbage casting like the recent one in Bbc's 'Troy', this show seems to be staying clearly out of such errors and unneeded controversy
    I agree if this was something i wouldn't care about, i wouldn't be annoyed. Most, if not all the witcher players i seen for example found that news annoying and confusing as well ( it could be fake news). And you know the internet being the internet and all that.

But god forbid for you to have a problem with a casting of a franchise that you hold dear, because that makes you a Raaaaaaaciiiiiisssssttttt!!!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The BBC and Netflix, Fall of a city is rated 25% as the audience score in Rotten Tomatoes for the first season ....and 3.8 in IMdb. And the reasons for that are varied im certain, but still, i can guess one of those reasons who put people off.

Btw speaking of the Game... Conan reviews the Witcher 3!

MILFGAARD!!
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 12, 2018 at 09:17 AM.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

nope, ones attitude makes one a racist. these excuses aint worth squat.

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    nope, ones attitude makes one a racist. these excuses aint worth squat.
    You mean attitude like specifically excluding one race from casting, in spite of source material?

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    You mean attitude like specifically excluding one race from casting, in spite of source material?
    dont make me laugh. not exclusively casting white people isnt exclusion. oh, and in case you have forgotten: its fantasy. none of these races exist.

Quote Originally Posted by gastovski View Post
    Yeah these ing racist s trying to push an Asian actress for a pure European white one. I'm glad they got scared and came into submission.
    Quote Originally Posted by gastovski View Post
    "Also it seems Ciri will be Asian and not white."

Not sjw/pc at all.

even dumber is the argument that you should cast for talent when made by racists. because what they mean is: except when it means to cast any non-white actors.

so, since you people dont have any arguments, why dont you quit stinking up this thread? in fact, i will appeal to an admin to clean this up.

dont make me laugh. not exclusively casting white people isnt exclusion. oh, and in case you have forgotten: its fantasy. none of these races exist.
    Except, they kinda do, in human minds at least. The author deliberately invokes the "European dung ages" trope as well as standard fantasy races, for good reason. It allowed setting the background without slowing down the pace of story, and many important themes in books resonate well with this specific setting. Further material-comic books and games-reinforce this. Saying that the characters are purely fantastic and disconnected from reality is idiocy, they're drawing heavily on both reality and preconceptions about the background of series. Between this, her portrayal in comics, games, and her description in books, caucasian actress makes most sense for storytelling consistency and success of the TV series, and specifically excluding such people from casting means the decision is not based on desire for quality and fidelity to original material, but on some other, racially oriented ideology. And we do have term for people promoting such ideologies, don't we...

even dumber is the argument that you should cast for talent when made by racists. because what they mean is: except when it means to cast any non-white actors.

so, since you people dont have any arguments, why dont you quit stinking up this thread? in fact, i will appeal to an admin to clean this up.
    You have arbitrarily, without any argument, classified everyone with opinion differing from yours as racist, without any argument to back it up, and try to dismiss them through that. Typical for modern crybabies. "Wah wah, everyone who disagrees with me is sexist/racist/fascist/whatever sound bad."

Your post is equivalent to Serena Willams breaking her racket and then crying how the fact that another woman won over her fair and square is sexist.
    Last edited by Sar1n; September 12, 2018 at 09:10 PM.

actually, you are making my argument for me, all the time

look up a definition of racism, this whole thread has become a showcase. racially oriented ideology indeed.

I dont mind some side characters being asian, or black. Cahir for example could be idris Elba, Milva could be of another ethnicity. Despite that, i hope the northern kingdoms is shown majoritarily as Sapkowski wanted: basically medieval poland... which means: mostly white people. Some characters being not so i dont care at all.

The main characters though, Ciri, Yennefer, Geralt and Dandelion, their appearence is very detailed in the books, and CD projekt red has portrayed them with accuracy.

I dont care for what reason someone would not try to have an actor that looks reasonably close to them, but doing so would be a big mistake IMO.

and yeah, lets call an admin to clean a thread of a on topic discussion, about casting of one of the main roles of the series which the topic is meant to be discussing about.

Ah and throwing the "its all made up stuff, who cares" thing is hilarious. If the writers go that way the Witcher series will be the Dawn of War 3 equivalent to the witcher.

Yeah a terminator doing flip rolls, but its all made up who cares.

If the series wont be an accurate depiction of the book series i love, why the would i watch it?
    Last edited by Wulfburk; September 12, 2018 at 10:14 PM.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

And why would "racial accuracy' be crucial to the story? Be smart, dont dig the hole deeper.

Because we are not having a book read to us. its an audio-visual medium, and i'll have you know, for most, the visual part matter to immerse yourself in a universe. if that isnt for you, kudos.

That said, my pick for Ciri would be the girl from Logan. Precisely because of appearence, and that she's an actual good actress, and is around the right age.

But yes, keep labeling people as racists, mate.
    Last edited by Wulfburk; September 12, 2018 at 10:27 PM.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

Asian Ciri, weird, because she is supposed to be the emporer's biological daughter, and she is a little bit elf, right? Are Nilfgaardians Asian? Elves have Asian features? I am asking a legitimate question, haven't read the books, nor previous posters in this thread, so this is no reply.

I always thought Nilfgaatdian's were like Germans, Holy Roman Empire, right? Weird, but I guess if Ciri's mom was Asian or something it could make sense? Probably a stretch, someone looking like Keanu Reeves could pass off though - if they were going for a mixed look.

I'm more worried about the actresses abilities, however.
    Last edited by SturmChurro; September 12, 2018 at 11:04 PM.

Her mother is Pavetta, the daughter of the Queen of Cintra. Cintra is one of the northern kingdoms.

And like i said the northern kingdoms is basically medieval poland. And indeed Nilfgaard has many inspirations in the Holy roman empire. So, holy roman empire invading the protagonist and heroic poles. The author didnt bother going much subtle.

OH! And actually the fact that Ciri didnt have any remarking feature outside of her white hair, compared to the POPULATION of Cintra and the northern kingdoms, allowed her to

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    hide after the slaughter of Cintra and later to be replaced by an impostor (which failed only because the impostor girl was recognized as so by Ciri's biological father, the Emperor).

Last edited by Wulfburk; September 12, 2018 at 11:37 PM.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by SturmChurro View Post
    Asian Ciri, weird, because she is supposed to be the emporer's biological daughter, and she is a little bit elf, right? Are Nilfgaardians Asian? Elves have Asian features? I am asking a legitimate question, haven't read the books, nor previous posters in this thread, so this is no reply.

I always thought Nilfgaatdian's were like Germans, Holy Roman Empire, right? Weird, but I guess if Ciri's mom was Asian or something it could make sense? Probably a stretch, someone looking like Keanu Reeves could pass off though - if they were going for a mixed look.

Having every fictional civilization in your fictional setting match up completely with a real world civilization, racially, ethnically, and culturally, sounds incredibly lazy to me.

What would be the issue with Nilfgaard being culturally similar to the HRE but having dark skin or features that we would recognize as asian?
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

There isn’t. Though the rampant eurocentrism in this thread is amusing to read. Ciri is a daighter of Pavetta who herself is a daughter of Calanthe and Roegner of Ebbing. Ebbing is a vassal state of Nilfgaard which is a rather large and what I would assume, multi ethnic empire. There was also the Olfieri people who are clearly Arabic-ish. We also have to consider an entirely different elvish species from a different dimension who have a genetic connection to Ciri. So yeah, an Asian casting is not at all unreasonable.

Just make sure the actress can speak and understand the intricacies of Western culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Sigh...
    post #19
    Yup, I realized your position was senseless from the beginning. You questioned if there was any Asian actors or actresses in Western cinema capturing Western culture, which implied that you were arguing based on race. Apparently I was wrong and what you were arguing about was really pointless. For you, it can be Asian by race, but not by nationality...

Make sure she breathes too. That's important...
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by SturmChurro View Post

Its a medieval fantasy setting based on 13th century Poland and eastern Europe. Not Unlike Westeros in Game of thrones where it is based in Medieval English in a way.

There isn’t. Though the rampant eurocentrism in this thread is amusing to read.
    Its an Eastern European Work of fiction based on its folklore.... Imagine The Romance of Three Kingdoms at its most fantastical, whitewashed, or blackwashed... wait ill rather not to.

Ebbing is a vassal state of Nilfgaard which is a rather large and what I would assume, multi ethnic empire. There was also the Olfieri people who are clearly Arabic-ish. We also have to consider an entirely different elvish species from a different dimension who have a genetic connection to Ciri. So yeah, an Asian casting is not at all unreasonable.
    I think we dont know how the Zerikanians and Olfieri really look like in the books. But yes i have no problem with them being depicted as Arabic, black, or Asian etc. In fact those lands do indeed suggest Arabic or African type of lands.

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Zerrikania
    http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Ofir

They could do well introduce a new character like that from those places.. although i suspect they wont, because it is too much work.

The Nilfgaardian empire has lots of vassal states but...Nilfgaard in itself wouldn't be Multicultural. About Ciri she doesn't really look elvish though. She just has elven "elder blood", and certain distinct features due to some other plot events.

Not saying she cant be played by an Asian. BUt it would be weird.

The Nilfgaardian Empire (Ceas'raet aep Nilfgaard in the Nilfgaardian speech) is the most powerful empire in the history of the known world. It is located in the southern part of the Continent and boasts both a thriving economy and a strong, well-trained army with talented commanders. It has expanded mostly through the conquest of foreign countries, which were then turned into provinces of the Empire. The Empire's inhabitants believe that "real" Nilfgaardians are only those born in the heart of the Empire, and not those born in the conquered provinces. The provinces are ruled by either stewards or kings (in cases in which a king willingly surrenders, he retains his throne but is subject to the Emperor or just a vassal). The empire has expanded throughout the years, conquering new lands and going as far to the north as the Yaruga River during the reign of Emperor Emhyr var Emreis.
    They tend to be quite xenophobic of other people in other realms too, especially the Northern realms.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 13, 2018 at 04:56 AM.