Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

Default Re: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

David Tennant for Dandelion and James Cosmo for Vesemir.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    As I said, I don't have a problem with anyone's skin color, just so long as they can properly understand Western culture.

Lucy Liu was born and grew up in New York.
    Maggie Q was born and grew up in Hawaii
    Kelly Hu was born and raise in Hawaii.
    Elodie Yung was born and raised in France.
    Jamie Chung was born and raised in California.

These are all very Americanized people hence why they can act so well and naturally in any Western media. On the other hand, Asian actors and actresses are distinctly foreign in the media they appear in. They are either unable to act like Lucy Liu or choose not to. I wouldn't want either of them to portray a character that's so distinctly based on Western fantasy. Does that mean that I'll never accept a Hong Kong actress in a specifically Western role? No, people can certainly assimilate and understand a culture eventually. The rapper Tablo was born and raised in Canada and United States but eventually moved to Korea and started making music there. He lives there now and i'm sure he has a very good grasp of both cultures. I don't want an Asian actress who was born and raised in Beijing to do a role for Ciri when she doesn't know anything about either Western culture or the Witcher.
    So? You think Netflix is looking for an Asian actor that can't even speak English? Sigh...
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    I’m kinda done with the Ciri thing tbh. I’ve played witcher a tiny bit but didn’t know much about it, and at first I thought asian ciri would be fine. Then I found out it’s not Asian ciri, it’s BAME ciri, so idk.

I wanted to leave a segment of this reddit post here though, which neither proves nor disproves either side.

https://www.reddit.com/r/truegaming/..._in_the_books/

this is a good thread too https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/com..._to_book_ciri/
    Direct quote from Lady of the Lake. Clearly describes her as pale.
    Now it’s our turn, thought Geralt. He was right. The officer stared at Ciri. His eyes shone through the opening in his visor, watching everything without missing a detail. Her paleness. The scar on her cheek. The blood on her sleeve and hands. The white streaks in her hair.

True. Who do you think could pull off Dandelion?
    David Tennant seems really the universal pick here..

Nicholas Hoult. ( he played The Beast in X-men days of future past) I could see him as Dandelion.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Btw i wouldn't mind Eva Green for Yennefer, other pick would be Carice Van Houten.

I read somewhere people were proposing Jeff Bridges as Vesemir

The other Popular pick would be Mark hammil. ( i could see it)

But i think Peter Stormare would be great too.

If Ciri is going to be black then Dany Glover or Idrids Elba should be emhyr var emreis ( depending on the chronological time...)

It would give the name Black Ones a new meaning!!!

Even though there is one who already played the role, and would be great if he could do it again... Its just a perfect fit really...

Anyway i would find this casting also interesting..
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 11, 2018 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    But i think Peter Stormare would be great too.
    Lovely example. He is a Scandinavian. White by any definition. Doesn't have pale skin.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    Lovely example. He is a Scandinavian. White by any definition. Doesn't have pale skin.
    Yet there is tons of native Scandinavians who do. It is a much more prevalent feature in European native peoples then in any other people in the world. It is delusional to deny this. As it is delusional to deny that Ciri isn't described as a white person in the books and series.

And yes im aware People native of Northeast Asia its common to have light skin tones and pale skin. But let me ask you this. What are the cultural origins, inspirations, influences of the witcher series?

Not to mention he is clearly Sun tanned in that pick.

Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 11, 2018 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    I remembered that Cavill, in the past, has played a medieval role in Tudors:

As Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk.

And a mythological role as well, as Theseus, in Immortals:

So I think he would have no problem playing the role of a Witcher, swinging swords and .
    Hopefully, the armor in the Witcher series is going to look better than this ("knitted mail armor").

Quote Originally Posted by Pinarius View Post
    Hopefully, the armor in the Witcher series is going to look better than this ("knitted mail armor").
    Hopefully, they'll stick to books with armour, meaning Geralt or other witchers won't be using any. Knitted mail and cardboard plate can be endured on minor characters.

I think the witchers use some leather stuff, but that's about it.

Yet there is tons of native Scandinavians who do. It is a much more prevalent feature in European native peoples then in any other people in the world. It is delusional to deny this. As it is delusional to deny that Ciri isn't described as a white person in the books and series.

And yes im aware People native of Northeast Asia its common to have light skin tones and pale skin. But let me ask you this. What are the cultural origins, inspirations, influences of the witcher series?

Not to mention he is clearly Sun tanned in that pick.
    The picture I showed is from a gathering. Most of his pictures on Google confirm to that. The one you showed is from a movie which looks tainted.

For every Scandinavian with pale white skin there are 10, maybe even 100, Asians with lighter skin. That's because of sheer numbers. I doubt there is any study that checks prevalence of pale white skin so your claim that it's much more prevalent in Europe is BS.

It's a fact that Ciri was not described as white. Most white people can not be described as having ashen white skin. Simple as that.

Cultural origins of the Witcher means jack. How an actress looks as long as its within the acceptable parameters is not dependent on her being white.
    The Armenian Issue

So? You think Netflix is looking for an Asian actor that can't even speak English? Sigh...
    No... that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that Hong Kong or Korean actors are typically hired to play foreign roles and they don't seem to possess the cultural knowledge to act out a role of an Asian American for example, nevermind something like a contemporary Western.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    No... that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that Hong Kong or Korean actors are typically hired to play foreign roles and they don't seem to possess the cultural knowledge to act out a role of an Asian American for example, nevermind something like a contemporary Western.
    Nice shifting of goal posts there. We moved from Asian descent to people from Hong Kong or Korea.
    The Armenian Issue

The picture I showed is from a gathering. Most of his pictures on Google confirm to that. The one you showed is from a movie which looks tainted.

For every Scandinavian with pale white skin there are 10, maybe even 100, Asians with lighter skin. That's because of sheer numbers. I doubt there is any study that checks prevalence of pale white skin so your claim that it's much more prevalent in Europe is BS.

It's a fact that Ciri was not described as white. Most white people can not be described as having ashen white skin. Simple as that.

Cultural origins of the Witcher means jack. How an actress looks as long as its within the acceptable parameters is not dependent on her being white.

You cant claim Non facts as facts. That is just your opinion, it is not a fact. Read the books. I did, she is clearly described as a white person, as well her parents. That is a fact.

You are shifting it, so that she could also be interpreted as an Asian in the books. With total disregard about the cultural slavic inspirations , and local influence in the universe of the witcher. Contrary to your opinion it does mean jack, hell in fact it is a big part of the charm of it.

How an actress looks as long as its within the acceptable parameters is not dependent on her being white
    Only one of those parameters is light white skin. Green eyes is also not common in North east Asia natives btw. Much less Blonde hair.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 11, 2018 at 01:54 PM.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Only one of those parameters is light white skin. Green eyes is also not common in North east Asia natives btw. Much less Blonde hair.
    “I’ll mark it on your map traveller”

Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    Well we already know Henry Cavill has already bagged the role for it, so, not much point in talking about other alternatives.
    Much as I like the Cavill casting, there’s always a point in saying Idris Elba is awesome.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    “I’ll mark it on your map traveller”

That’s a lot of Asia!
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    That’s a lot of Asia!
    Oddly enough it doesn't seem, to be North East Asia, where there is White skinned native Asians....

You know part of me thinks the studio doesn't want another Dany look alike, in the New game of Thrones type of show.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Geralt has cat eyes so clearly Cavill is terrible casting.

Oh wait colored contacts exist.

Also Ciri doesn't have blonde hair. She has grey and white hair. White hair is just as common in Asia as it is in Poland.
    Last edited by the_mango55; September 11, 2018 at 06:59 PM.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Oddly enough it doesn't seem, to be North East Asia, where there is White skinned native Asians....

You know part of me thinks the studio doesn't want another Dany look alike, in the New game of Thrones type of show.
    It doesn't matter where in Asia you go, no, no matter where in the WORLD you go, Ash White a hilariously, hideously, unnatural skin color that will never occur outside of the palor of utter sickness of a deathbed.

In other words. To make that look natural on a person, they're dunking her in makeup. And you're going to live with it.

Again. Ash white:

So you know what? Get the frak over yourself.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    Geralt has cat eyes so clearly Cavill is terrible casting.

Oh wait colored contacts exist.

Also Ciri doesn't have blonde hair. She has grey and white hair. White hair is just as common in Asia as it is in Poland.
    In the books she has Blonde fair hair, but sure ill bite. Green eyes are not supernatural feline eyes. And way to miss the point i was making originally.

It doesn't matter where in Asia you go, no, no matter where in the WORLD you go, Ash White a hilariously, hideously, unnatural skin color that will never occur outside of the palor of utter sickness of a deathbed.

In other words. To make that look natural on a person, they're dunking her in makeup. And you're going to live with it.
    Quite besides the point. They dont need to go to those lengths obviously.

Assuming that casting call is even legit.

Making Ciri Black or (BAME) is mostly ridiculous considering the source material ( Specially with Ciri this is true) . For me as a fan is mostly an annoyance really. If i wasn't a fan i would probably not care. But i do find myself caring in this case.

I dont think there is nothing wrong in having this opinion. And there is that, deal with it.

So you know what? Get the frak over yourself.
    You too, very rude man.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 11, 2018 at 09:54 PM.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

The latest rumors are that Ciri's casting is actually taking place in Poland, looking specifically for a Polish actress for young Ciri.

https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/com...regarding_the/

Man, it's gonna be sad if people spent all this time and energy being angry and racist over nothing.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince