Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

Idris Elba as Geralt and call it done
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

checks out, our own race realists around here are making the argument you should cast by talent not race

https://www.reddit.com/r/4chan/comme...lba_as_geralt/

No not Idris as Geralt. He would suit more playing some villainous character from Zerrikania.

@Hannibal: Hahahahaha.
    Last edited by Ishan; September 10, 2018 at 10:01 AM.

Blog Entries

“Jaywalks on road to quest marker”

The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    Haha the internet is going wild with Ciri being BAME:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Top lel.
    Oh yeah...

Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 10, 2018 at 12:31 PM.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Is that horse so important?
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Here's a simple acid test. Did you have a problem with the way Ciri was portrayed by CDPR? No? Then there shouldn't be an issue with having a white actress for Ciri.

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    Lucy Liu
    Maggie Q
    Kelly Hu
    Elodie Yung
    Jamie Chung
    All are Westernized which I already covered.

Totally cool with Idris as Geralt after how he handled the Thor movies. Screw what other people think.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Here's a simple acid test. Did you have a problem with the way Ciri was portrayed by CDPR? No? Then there shouldn't be an issue with having a white actress for Ciri.
    CDPR depicted Ciri with warmer skin color. So, if you didn't have a problem with that when the books described her as having ashen white skin then you should be fine with any other actress from any part of the world portraying her.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    All are Westernized which I already covered.
    They didn't go through some kind of surgery to get Westernized. They simply managed to get the part done properly. You arbitrary criteria of Westernship is bogus.
    The Armenian Issue

Just sayin’. Ash White.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    CDPR depicted Ciri with warmer skin color. So, if you didn't have a problem with that when the books described her as having ashen white skin then you should be fine with any other actress from any part of the world portraying her.
    As I said, I don't have a problem with anyone's skin color, just so long as they can properly understand Western culture.

They didn't go through some kind of surgery to get Westernized. They simply managed to get the part done properly. You arbitrary criteria of Westernship is bogus.
    Lucy Liu was born and grew up in New York.
    Maggie Q was born and grew up in Hawaii
    Kelly Hu was born and raise in Hawaii.
    Elodie Yung was born and raised in France.
    Jamie Chung was born and raised in California.

These are all very Americanized people hence why they can act so well and naturally in any Western media. On the other hand, Asian actors and actresses are distinctly foreign in the media they appear in. They are either unable to act like Lucy Liu or choose not to. I wouldn't want either of them to portray a character that's so distinctly based on Western fantasy. Does that mean that I'll never accept a Hong Kong actress in a specifically Western role? No, people can certainly assimilate and understand a culture eventually. The rapper Tablo was born and raised in Canada and United States but eventually moved to Korea and started making music there. He lives there now and i'm sure he has a very good grasp of both cultures. I don't want an Asian actress who was born and raised in Beijing to do a role for Ciri when she doesn't know anything about either Western culture or the Witcher.

Blog Entries

I’m kinda done with the Ciri thing tbh. I’ve played witcher a tiny bit but didn’t know much about it, and at first I thought asian ciri would be fine. Then I found out it’s not Asian ciri, it’s BAME ciri, so idk.

I wanted to leave a segment of this reddit post here though, which neither proves nor disproves either side.

https://www.reddit.com/r/truegaming/..._in_the_books/
    Most people think "white complexion" is about her skin colour which is actually false but I can see how it could be interpreted like that from the context. However what the quote is talking about is just her hair "fair hair - ashen white complexion". Here is the same quote from the original books in polish:
    Miała jasne, mysiopopielate włosy i wielkie, jadowicie zielone oczy.
    Quote taken from: http://wiedzmin.wikia.com/wiki/Ciri/...C5%BCek_i_gier
    From this quote it is very clear that Sapkowski is talking just about her hair (literally fair and mouse-like) and her green eyes.

this is a good thread too https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/com..._to_book_ciri/

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Who are all these people who think Idris Elba or Sam Jackson looks like a 15 year old girl?

I don't even understand the joke unless you are saying HAHA ALL BLACK PEOPLE LOOK THE SAME
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    Who are all these people who think Idris Elba or Sam Jackson looks like a 15 year old girl?

I don't even understand the joke unless you are saying HAHA ALL BLACK PEOPLE LOOK THE SAME
    Would’ve thought at least you’d get the Sam Jackson joke. Good lord there’s even a post to explain it in detail.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Headline: Marvel announces casting call for 15-19 year old white male actor to play the role of Spider-Man

Internet: DUR HUR

DAE all white people look the same

BTW I'm totally not racist I just want an accurate depiction of modern New York

/s in case it's not obvious
    Last edited by the_mango55; September 10, 2018 at 06:17 PM.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

They should've just made Geralt black. Then they'd just need to stick true to some of his interactions in the book, now that would've gotten SJWs in a tizzy
    "People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do." -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

In Soviet Russia you want Uncle Sam.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Actually, Idris Elba might work for the protagonist's role here ^_^
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Let's not go that far. I'm just hoping Netflix gets this right.

Well we already know Henry Cavill has already bagged the role for it, so, not much point in talking about other alternatives.

True. Who do you think could pull off Dandelion?