Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

Default Re: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Sure, even if they aren't that common. But sure. Also on a side note Whitening of the skin surgery is a thing in some Asian countries like South Korea.
    Now explain the Black and other Minority ethnic groups, they are looking for.
    They dont care how she looks as established. They care about other stuff clearly.
    Anyway this is assuming the reports are true. But if true, i do understand why the famdom is upset.
    Yeah, if you ignore the Japanese, Korean, and Chinese, collectively making up about 1.5 billion people, sure...
    The Armenian Issue

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    So, i think this needs a thread of its own, rather than discussing it in the game thread.

Well Netflix is planning to release it somewhere in 2019 (i doubt this though, 2020 most likely) and have already bagged Henry Cavill for the lead role of Geralt. Which i personally think is great because he's an avid gamer and a great actor. Think he can potray as a slavic monster slayer kinda look easily.

Though my personal favourite for the role was Mads Mikkelsen. But oh well.

Also it seems Ciri will be Asian and not white.

^Source

Mark Hamill has also shown interest to play the role of Vesemir:
    https://geektyrant.com/news/mark-ham...witcher-series
    Ciri will a strong independent black woman who don't need no man

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    Yeah, if you ignore the Japanese, Korean, and Chinese, collectively making up about 1.5 billion people, sure...
    I agreed with you. There might be Asian girls that could pass on as a Ciri. I do disagree that is more accurate, given the Nature of the Witcher universe.

Also a lot of people seem to disregard that Netflix is looking for BAME Girls. ( British,Black,Asian, minority ethnicity) Its not about 1.5 Billion of people in the other side of the world...

Im yet to see you address the issue however.

At least three people have already posted on this. Including me. You've just ignored them.
    What can i say, i wasn't impressed by them.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 09, 2018 at 11:24 AM.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Henry Cavill is not Polish. Why nobody makes a fuss about that?
    It's about look. So if the character is described as white, then pretty much anyone who looks white fits the bill (could be Asian, European, Middle Eastern, American, etc.)

I never saw anyone have an issue with CDPR’s deiction of Ciri. I personally would want a Western actor, Asian or otherwise so long as they are Westernized. I simply dont think a Hong Kong cinema or Korean actor could capture the European fantasy vibe of the series properly.

I agreed with you. There might be Asian girls that could pass on as a Ciri. I do disagree that is more accurate, given the Nature of the Witcher universe.
    Im yet to see you address the issue however.
    You didn't really present much arguments to address what I already said. Your claim didn't go beyond being a claim. You didn't back it up nor try to refute what's been said on it already. Hence, I indicated as much in my response in post #52. In fact, your position stands in ignorance much of what I said in my post #43.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpy Hooves View Post
    It's about look. So if the character is described as white, then pretty much anyone who looks white fits the bill (could be Asian, European, Middle Eastern, American, etc.)
    If it was about looks then people would have waited for who got the role first. Its clearly about labels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    I never saw anyone have an issue with CDPR’s deiction of Ciri. I personally would want a Western actor, Asian or otherwise so long as they are Westernized. I simply dont think a Hong Kong cinema or Korean actor could capture the European fantasy vibe of the series properly.
    You do realize the Western cinema is full of far Asian actors and actresses capturing the local culture just fine, right?
    Last edited by PointOfViewGun; September 09, 2018 at 11:27 AM.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Ciri's appearance, including skin colour, was set in books, comics and game, and is important to the plot. It's not a minor, inconsequential detail or a decision that they can take freely without compromising the storyline or source material.

And the casting invitation specifically states BAME acronym-meaning, in essence, "anyone but white". They don't have a clear vision of the role, they just want someone not white for the role.

Together, it makes clear-cut example of forced diversity at the cost of quality.
    and is important to the plot.
    Is it though? Aside from trying to align her aesthetic with the books description is it important in any way what so ever? Where do her powers come from, who she's related to, her parental relationship with Geralt and others, people trying to use her, her fight with destiny. None of it honestly relates to her appearance.

Marvels Thor had Asgardians be of all races. Heimdall was black, asian dude in Thor's inner circle. It was fine, it worked fine, the actors did fine. What does it matter so long as the writing and acting are on point? Wave the Polish flag about it all day long but it's still a fantasy epic with no hard set rules on appearances, only popular ones.

As long as the movie/series is made well it doesn't matter.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

i remember the witcher tv series, that was very white and nerdy, ehhh, polish, and it was awful. but in general, it seems the "race over quality" demand is only made when non-white actors are involved. ive never seen ethno-fascists complain that "gods of egypt" and the like are bad because of their white-washed cast.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Is it though? Aside from trying to align her aesthetic with the books description is it important in any way what so ever?
    Because it would mean the Cintrian royal family would have to be black too.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

You didn't really present much arguments to address what I already said. Your claim didn't go beyond being a claim. You didn't back it up nor try to refute what's been said on it already. Hence, I indicated as much in my response in post #52. In fact, your position stands in ignorance much of what I said in my post #43.
    I simply disagreed with you claim in post #43.

You claimed based on sword of destiny quote, that Ciri sounded more like an Anime character, then a traditional white person, that alone is a subjective assumption ( even though the quote describes a typically white person, not to mention that an Anime character might not be Asian necessarily ) , you noted that Ciri had Elven descent and thus that an Asian would be more accurate in portraying ciri then a white person. ( cant seem to understand the logic on that one. )

So yeah I found that statement bull crap. The witcher Universe is strongly based of and inspired by Medieval eastern Europe, specifically Poland. There is a setting here to consider.... imo.

Also all elves in the witcher universe are white, for example, that is a trait.

Despite all that, i concede that some Asian girls can pass of as ciri as described.... i just dont agree that they are more accurate. That is a arrogant claim to say the least.

I also cant understand how an Asian Girl ability to look like Ciri , excuses netflix Looking for BAME girls to play Ciri.

Is it though? Aside from trying to align her aesthetic with the books description is it important in any way what so ever? Where do her powers come from, who she's related to, her parental relationship with Geralt and others, people trying to use her, her fight with destiny. None of it honestly relates to her appearance.
    It is. Unless you want to change the lore in some drastic ways.

i remember the witcher tv series, that was very white and nerdy, ehhh, polish, and it was awful. but in general, it seems the "race over quality" demand is only made when non-white actors are involved. ive never seen ethno-fascists complain that "gods of egypt" and the like are bad because of their white-washed cast.
    You dont remember but i do. The director of Gods of Egypt and the studio even had to apologized for the lack of diversity in his movie. There is ethno-fascists everywhere.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 09, 2018 at 12:21 PM.

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I mean if this was based on western European lore, the "everybody has to be white" argument might make more sense but eastern Europe in the medieval times would have likely been far less ethnically homogeneous that it is now. Part of the reason Slavic countries are so culturally different to each other now is because they had people coming to them from all directions. Norse, Cossack, Mongolian, Turkic, German, Greek, Turkish, etc etc.
    I'm not saying eastern Europe was some multicultural paradise or anything but just that if the mythology of any region in the world was likely to have people of most races, it would be eastern Europe.

But that's just me being picky. At the end of the day, just because they put out the casting call for "BAME" doesn't mean she will be black. There's a hell of a lot of actors in Britain, especially London, who come from east Asian roots. I'll be honest; I do think the person who is cast in the role needs to be pale. I just don't mind if that pale person happens to be white, Han Chinese, Korean, or whatever.

Maybe they should just cast a mixed-race actor like Jessica Henwick so that everybody is happy haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade_Rory View Post
    I mean if this was based on western European lore, the "everybody has to be white" argument might make more sense but eastern Europe in the medieval times would have likely been far less ethnically homogeneous that it is now. Part of the reason Slavic countries are so culturally different to each other now is because they had people coming to them from all directions. Norse, Cossack, Mongolian, Turkic, German, Greek, Turkish, etc etc.
    I'm not saying eastern Europe was some multicultural paradise or anything but just that if the mythology of any region in the world was likely to have people of most races, it would be eastern Europe.

But that's just me being picky. At the end of the day, just because they put out the casting call for "BAME" doesn't mean she will be black. There's a hell of a lot of actors in Britain, especially London, who come from east Asian roots. I'll be honest; I do think the person who is cast in the role needs to be pale. I just don't mind if that pale person happens to be white, Han Chinese, Korean, or whatever.

Maybe they should just cast a mixed-race actor like Jessica Henwick so that everybody is happy haha.
    BUT MAN...YOU FORGET...EVERYONE IN WITCHER IS WHITE WHITE WHITE.

Who cares. Netflix is a business. They will literally sit down and have a meeting and figure out how they can tweak certain things in subtle ways to attract cross-cultural viewers. So that, you know, they get more than a 12% black viewership like Game of Thrones. They'll do it in legit ways that represents the odd way of Ciri's birthline pushing out visually. She won't be Michelle Yeoh asian but she might be Asian. As I keep saying over and over, Asia's a big damn place. With a lot of people that look a lot of ways that we here in America don't even associate with the word Asia. And Netflix will probably do this with more than one character at least incidentally. Like, list the casting call without a required race, and just the best person gets pulled in. And they're not white. And KoH with the hardcore people. But more casual viewers watch. The numbers go up. Because here's the truth. Most tv viewers are between 18 and 45 years old. And they really only have time for about three tv shows a week. And Netflix wants to give more people more reasons both story-wise and cultural-wise to watch their shows.

And it works.

Look at the numbers. They are kicking HBO's ass. Because they figure out how they can attract viewers. And the viewers come. Even if it pisses KoH off.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Assuming they get more views because they have a more diverse cast.... quite stupid assumption. Tell that to the Titans movie.... And here i thought it was about the quality of some of the Netflix tv shows as well its format.
    The video games are also a business, and they are very successful, without pandering towards SJWs and Political correctness.

For me personally, it isnt that pisses me off, It just simply off putting. And It is understandable on why the famdom is upset by this.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 09, 2018 at 02:10 PM.

Assuming they get more views because they have a more diverse cast.... quite stupid assumption. Tell that to the Titans movie.... And here i thought it was about the quality of some of the Netflix tv shows as well its format.
    The video games are also a business, and they are very successful, without pandering towards SJWs and Political correctness.

For me personally, it isnt that pisses me off, It just simply off putting. And It is understandable on why the famdom is upset by this.
    Song of Ice and Fire books had a much more diverse setting than the tv show, to put it one way...
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Song of Ice and Fire books had a much more diverse setting than the tv show, to put it one way...
    Im well aware. Yet the TV show made a certain effort to portray diverse settings and its diverse people.

Even if lots of times it doesn't match the books to the letter.

Dorne and Essos, and Bravos, north of westeros, kings landing etc, have all different designs, and feel differently, people are different from place to place and are portrayed like that. People from the summer isles, are different from people in meereen, and the dothakri etc. You cant say There isn't plenty of Diversity in game of thrones.

But i would find odd and off putting if they would cast Daenerys as a BAME. And do not tell me it isn't the same with Ciri, because it kinda is.

Even if i know No purple hair for daario naharis...or purple eyes for Dany, nor the crazy hair styles of the essosi etc.

Is the witcher Universe as diverse as Game of thrones? For one the story is more contained, to certain areas geographically, even though there is no lack of fantastic, and various creatures, monsters and what not. But as Humans go? the story is mostly focused in an area that is akin to central to eastern Europe. Bogs and swamps are a thing, then there is the skillige isles, where pretty much are the vikings or norse peoples.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 09, 2018 at 02:46 PM.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

yeah, actually it is the same, because you got a problem, and race plays into it.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    yeah, actually it is the same, because you got a problem, and race plays into it.
    So does netflix, apparently...
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

I came here for some hardcore Witcher talk and Witcher videos. All I found were fools discussing Asians. Left disappointed...

So does netflix, apparently...
    Interesting thing aren't slavs a ethnic minority too in Britain?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamos View Post

Marvels Thor had Asgardians be of all races. Heimdall was black, asian dude in Thor's inner circle. It was fine, it worked fine, the actors did fine. What does it matter so long as the writing and acting are on point? Wave the Polish flag about it all day long but it's still a fantasy epic with no hard set rules on appearances, only popular ones.

As long as the movie/series is made well it doesn't matter.
    In books, Ciri didn't have, aside from hair colour, any unusual features, and could blend well with general populace. It was important because certain people could easily find a girl to use as an imposter, and Emhyr wasn't fooled only because he was her father, which they did not know, and important storyline developments stemmed from this attempt.

The books make it quite clear that general human population of northern kingdoms is entirely, or almost entirely, white. So they either have to force a lot of diversity into general population and throw away any sense of continuity and feel of the franchise, or abandon a part of story.

In either way, the series will suffer.