Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

Default Re: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    So Witcher can't be black, but Achilles can?

I call racism
    Isn't Achilles and Aeneias African heroes? Wasn't Zeus an African god? Makes sense to me.

From the book Sword of Destiny, page 416:
    She had fair hair, ashen white complexion and large impetuous green eyes
    Essentially, that sounds more like an anime character, but it doesn't necessarily describe a traditional white person. News flash to some but many Asians are more white than Europeans. I'm one of them. The game's depiction seems a little bit off as she looks to have a warmer skin color. Plus, she comes from Elven descent, right?

Ciri would look more close to the following:

So, no, having a white person play Ciri is not more accurate.
    The Armenian Issue

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Isn't Achilles and Aeneias African heroes? Wasn't Zeus an African god? Makes sense to me.
    Well, ok. Still, you are denying a black actor a job, which is racist ^_^

(ok, i will stop now)
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Sounds good except for the SJW appeasement bull . That's always always always always a terrible idea: Give those ass holes an inch and they'll take a mile ruining everything. That was one of the great things about the games, no s were given. Even after the usual cookie-cutter spurious accusations of racism, transphobia and homophobia were made, no apologies were offered.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Ciri would look more close to the following:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Are you... sure about that?
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    Yup. That's the game's depiction. The books go as far back as 1992 (which is when the book depiction that I posted happen) while the first Witcher game was published in 2007. The screenshots from the game shows a rather warmer skin color, definitely not ashen white.
    The Armenian Issue

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    All of those top hits are based on the game. I don't know if its possible, but it would be interesting to see what Google Images pre-Witcher 3 (or even pre-The Hexer movie and TV show) shows you when you google Ciri.

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    All of those top hits are based on the game. I don't know if its possible, but it would be interesting to see what Google Images pre-Witcher 3 (or even pre-The Hexer movie and TV show) shows you when you google Ciri.
    What year would the cut-off be?
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    What was the point of the picture?
    Back before ranting about SJW became a thing Marvel invented the very idea of changing the race of a character for the sake of changing the race of a character. And they used Samuel L. Jackson's likeness to do it with Nick Fury. With his permission and everybody's glee.

616 Nick Fury:

Ultimate Nick Fury:

Picture of Cirilla that is a joke about SJW:

Lets put it this way. Would you guys be ok with an Asian actress if the casting had been open to everyone, and they were just simply the best actress there by pure merit?
    I disagree with Netflix going out of their way to only cast/look for a non-white actress (since its specifically going out of their way to be contrary to the books, and prevents white actresses from being cast) but if they had just stumbled across an Asian actress during a normal casting session who was better than all of the white actresses, then I wouldn't have anything against it.
    Let me be blunt. I already watch about three movies a year doing something like what you describe. Nobody here complains. It was slid under the radar about a decade before it became a thing. You just don't remember it.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

What a load of Bull.... It is of course more accurate then an Asian person. Doesn't mean an Asian girl couldn't pull it off however. But i wouldn't call it more accurate.

Ciri was born in Cintra, the kingdom of Cintra is quite westernized based, probably more so then other kingdoms in the witcher world wich are more slavic oriented. At least more so then Redannia... even though Cintra is part of the Northen realms... the way i see it?

Nilfgaard = HRE of sorts
    Redania or northen realms generally speaking = Polish Slavic kingdoms and states
    Skellige islands = Vikings
    Toussant = Southern European Kingdoms, also south of France etc

The games depicted ciri based on the books, i would say the game depicts Ciri quite accurately looks wise, i dont understand why is everyone dismissing the games so readily. Their personalities are different though from the books to game. (Game ciri seems to be much more likeable.)

Btw this was Ciri GrandMother... Calanthe Fiona Riannon, High queen of Cintra.

From the book Sword of Destiny, page 416:
    She had fair hair, ashen white complexion and large impetuous green eyes

So a White blonde With big Green eyes...It doesn't scream Asian to me right of the bat...
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 09, 2018 at 08:17 AM.

What a load of Bull.... It is of course more accurate then an Asian person. Doesn't mean an Asian girl couldn't pull it off however. But i wouldn't call it more accurate.
    Ciri was born in Cintra, the kingdom of Cintra is quite westernized based, probably more so then other kingdoms in the witcher world wich are more slavic oriented. At least more so then Redannia... the way i see it?
    Nilfgaard = HRE of sorts
    Redania or northen realms generally speaking = Polish Slavic kingdoms and states
    Skellige islands = Vikings
    Toussant = Southern European Kingdoms, also south of France etc
    The games depicted ciri based on the books, i would say the game depicts Ciri quite accurately looks wise, i dont understand why is everyone dismissing the games so readily.
    Btw this was Ciri GrandMother... Calanthe Fiona Riannon, High queen of Cintra.
    You didn't really address any argument there.
    The Armenian Issue

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I mean I feel like I should just quote myself to say that I really don't see what is wrong with an east Asian actress playing the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade_Rory View Post
    I only just found out that they were thinking of an Asian actress to play Ciri and tbh I think it'd work quite well.

And just for good measure...

And then from a different example, granted one that isn't as good an example but still...

So I really don't see the issue. Ciri's looks are meant to stand out from those around her. And you all keep bringing up her skin colour as an argument but both these actresses (funnily enough, both are called Bingbing) look more pale than the Ciri in the game.

Honestly how that even excuses Netflix actively looking for non white, actresses for Ciri?

According to the casting call in The National Youth Theatre of Great Britain, they are looking actively for Asian or Black or from a ethnic minority actresses for ciri. Excluding white actresses. That is the main issue of the complaints.

Way to hype kill on Netflix part.
    The ad, from the National Youth Centre of Great Britain, specifies the actress must not be older than 18, and that they’re looking for a “BAME” actress — that is, someone is black, Asian or minority ethnic — and provides a character description:
    “CIRI can often be found rough-housing with the Palace hands instead of sitting in finery at the knee of the QUEEN CALANTHE, her grandmother. That is, until Cintra is massacred by the Nilfgaardians and CIRI is orphaned, left to traverse THE CONTINENT, alone. She doesn’t know it yet, but she’s a direct descendant of LARA DORREN, an Elven Mage – which is why everyone in our series is after her. We follow CIRI as she evades her captors, and in the meantime, discovers her magical talents, her dark side, and the role she is to play in the coming apocalypse. We are looking for an extraordinary young talent to lead this series. She should be brave hearted and MUST have something truly special about her.”
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 09, 2018 at 10:14 AM.

Because people like you think Asia is a small place.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

I think we should all at least wait for what they would come up with Asian Ciri.

Vardan the Great's Avatar Campidoctor

expecting to see black, asian, lesbian and gay characters added to the East-Northern European tale.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    "An unexpected death is a death, an intended death - immortality"
    (c) Vardan Sparapet, before the Battle of Avarayr

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Because people like you think Asia is a small place.
    Oh please do educate me on how big Asia is, in London.

Also way to miss the ing point. She might not end up being Asian. She could be black, or she could be some other minority living in England. It is what they are looking for.

expecting to see black, asian, lesbian and gay characters added to the East-Northern European tale.
    What bothers me is the adulteration of key established characters.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 09, 2018 at 10:54 AM.

So a White blonde With big Green eyes...It doesn't scream Asian to me right of the bat...
    Not white. Ashen white. Certain Asian ethnicities come closer to that than your traditional European whites.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    Not white. Ashen white. Certain Asian ethnicities come closer to that than your traditional European whites.
    Sure, even if they aren't that common. But sure. Also on a side note Whitening of the skin surgery is a thing in some Asian countries like South Korea.

Now explain the Black and other Minority ethnic groups, they are looking for.

They dont care how she looks as established. They care about other stuff clearly.

Anyway this is assuming the reports are true. But if true, i do understand why the famdom is upset.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 09, 2018 at 10:53 AM.

Oh please do educate me on how big Asia is, in London.
    At least three people have already posted on this. Including me. You've just ignored them.

This is my shocked and surprised face:
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson