Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    no black lannisters or starks indeed. since it never happend, and never would have,
    That is my point, though: it wouldn't have happened. But it did for Homer. Apparently either GRRM is in respect to maintaining authenticity more important than Homer, OR (maybe a tad more likely the case ^_^ ) it is easier to polititroll with some shows than it is for others. I am sure you can imagine that GoT would have faced serious problems if black Lannister protagonists were there.

It didn't happen with GoT because HBO wouldn't risk their show facing problems due to some strange casting decision re protagonists. Let alone that GoT was a serious production, unlike Bbc's 2-years-in-the-making terribly bad fiasco* which is ranked among the worst in IMDB :o

*goes without saying that after the show aired it became apparent it is garbage and would still be garbage even without the terrible casting. But this might be accounting a bit for the casting done as possible diversion (?), given the show took so long to actually produce a first trailer or other info.
    Last edited by Kyriakos; September 14, 2018 at 08:18 AM.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

GoT is an interesting case to bring up. Because beyond casting a few named characters as other races as guest actors for a season, they didn't do nearly as much as they could. See, cities like Kings Landing and the Free Cities are a lot more cross cultural with the amount of trade they get from around the world. Especially in the books. The tv show ignores this for its own convenience. Just having those people packed in there. Not even in a speaking role. But even the masses are 95% white in the tv show. For real, do you have any idea how many people in just Washington, DC come from other countries because they are sent there, do their work, but see opportunities, and stay? Do that math for King's Landing. Or, I mean, lets talk speaking roles. The man of power from the Iron Bank of Braavos that Cersei Lannister has to talk into loaning her money in Season 7. Could've easily been any race in the known SoIaF world, but...white.

So really, this race thing, is really the last argument you want to make with just the general makeup of the Game of Thrones tv show without wrecking the world and without changing a single shade of skin in the Lannisters and the Starks. Ok? Don't go to Game of Thrones. It doesn't help you.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

So, practically, it did happen with Game of Thrones, but it happened the opposite way and nobody made a fuss over it.
    The Armenian Issue

Then again maybe i noted that the point is about the protagonists, because i meant to make a point about the protagonists.
    Think about it

Sure, GoT show doesn't care about including many obvious minorities, but there is some difference between having one-shot (a few seconds) peasants being eskimo or other races, and having Lannisters (or Achilles ) be black. Once again, Gaidin, you seem confused as to what is being discussed, namely the difference between casting atypical race to secondary roles, and doing so for main protagonist roles.
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    Then again maybe i noted that the point is about the protagonists, because i meant to make a point about the protagonists.
    Think about it

Sure, GoT show doesn't care about including many obvious minorities, but there is some difference between having one-shot (a few seconds) peasants being eskimo or other races, and having Lannisters (or Achilles ) be black. Once again, Gaidin, you seem confused as to what is being discussed, namely the difference between casting atypical race to secondary roles, and doing so for main protagonist roles.
    So you don't care about racial casting when the point disagrees with you? Noted.

Debate is hard man. Do your research next time.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

At least i am not in 8-bit theatre mode

Game of thrones isn't even a good example how myopic people can be?? as it has lots of diverse cast. I can pick and cherry pick individual cases as well, to further my argument if i want to. So the Bravos banker is played by a white actor, have we forgotten characters like Salladhor saan? Hizdahr zo Loraq? etc? wihch are characters mostly in the same level of importance, imo.

I agree Some of the stuff should be handled better ( lots of stuff actually).

But have we forgot The Dothraki diverse casting figurines and all? as it should be. ( Momoa literally has Native American and Hawaiian descendency) The unsullied? Dorne? Carth? Essos generally speaking? So basically is just Westeros that isn't as diverse in its casting....

Honestly it was a shame the Tv show handled poorly the Dorne plot line, Pedro Pascal is probably my favorite character in the TV show.... and i had hopes for Alexander Siddig as Prince Doran. Literally game of thrones is a bad example to complain about lack of diversity.

I agree that kings landing should be more multicultural in its figurines.. but lets not pretend that GOT TV show made an unfair or crazy casting, generally speaking.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 14, 2018 at 03:08 PM.

Abdülmecid I's Avatar ¡Ay Carmela!
    Moderation Overseer Civitate Patrician

Please try to focus on the Witcher series. Debating in a civil manner about the casting or the lore-accuracy is fine, as long as it's directly related to the topic of the thread. Everyone is welcome to open a new thread in the Political Academy, if he wishes to generally discuss the issue of skin complexion in TV series and films.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren S. Hissrich
    Will I move through the book and start changing people’s cultural heritage or ethnic makeup or gender because I’m feeling really “liberal” that day? No. That’s ridiculous and contrary to what ANY writer would do, because we are storytellers. Story comes first.

But will there be minorities? Yes. A man would be a minority in Brokilon Forest. A person of color would be a minority in a small village. An islander would be an minority in Cintra. Mr. Sapkowski has said — publicly, and to me — that the Continent is big and diverse —

It's time for a Twitter hiatus. The love here is amazing, and the hate is enlightening, like a real-life Trial of the Grasses, except I HAVE to read less and write more -- or we won't have a damn finale. Be back soon with more insight and more Roach. Be nice to each other, okay?
    http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/ne...-bame-casting/

So it looks like because of the whole fuss over it and practically most of Poland going up in arms on the interwebz, the writer seemed to have backpedaled and taken a break from twitter lol.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

understandable that she focuses on her work, but how is

But will there be minorities? Yes. A man would be a minority in Brokilon Forest. A person of color would be a minority in a small village. An islander would be an minority in Cintra. Mr. Sapkowski has said — publicly, and to me — that the Continent is big and diverse —

something she already said quite a while ago, verbatim, backpaddeling?not surprised about the reaction in poland, they have some...issues...atm.

but how is
    something she already said quite a while ago, verbatim, backpaddeling?
    Well first she states officially that she's looking for a BAME actress:
    "Looking for a 16 or 15 year old BAME girl who can play down to 13/14. Must not be older than 18 years old."
    And then after all the fuss over it, she goes on to say:
    Will I move through the book and start changing people’s cultural heritage or ethnic makeup or gender because I’m feeling really “liberal” that day? No. That’s ridiculous and contrary to what ANY writer would do, because we are storytellers. Story comes first.
    And then announces a twitter hiatus. Which looks like backpedaling to me. Unless BAME doesn't necessarily mean black and it was all misunderstood by non-english speakers since it's a British slang and misinterpreted. Anyways, I don't get why she quits twitter by letting all this hate get to her. Should've just shrugged of all this BS.

And oh man, some of the comments were so ing stupid. "You're changing our polish history!" Hahaha such can't be serious. Masterful troll or downright stupidity.

"Looking for a 16 or 15 year old BAME girl who can play down to 13/14. Must not be older than 18 years old."
    Are you the one they call Bame?
    If i take that mask off, will you die?

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Bame Ciri?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

It will be extremely painful.

And then announces a twitter hiatus. Which looks like backpedaling to me. Unless BAME doesn't necessarily mean black and it was all misunderstood by non-english speakers since it's a British slang and misinterpreted. Anyways, I don't get why she quits twitter by letting all this hate get to her. Should've just shrugged of all this BS.
    They might cast a Polish Girl.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Great, more western fantasy shlock. I swear, it's like watching anime fans pretending their waifu bait is serious thinking material.

Just like with the new LOTR series, it's a shame they are doing this instead of something actually interesting.

Oriental shlocks?

They tried that with Marco Polo. which i liked it, but no doubt had lots of issues. Netflix is a hit or miss anyway.

once you have replaced all the white male cast members....you will have my permission to die.

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    Great, more western fantasy shlock. I swear, it's like watching anime fans pretending their waifu bait is serious thinking material.

Just like with the new LOTR series, it's a shame they are doing this instead of something actually interesting.

shots fired!

once you have replaced all the white male cast members....you will have my permission to die.

+1 ^_^

All publicity is good publicity I guess. The whole "black Ciri" is becoming so ubiquitous that I just offhand commented that my pizza turned into Netflix adaptation within a minute. True story.

well, i fail to see the upside of you burning your pizza.