Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

Default Re: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

The games work out very well due to be a different medium imo.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfburk View Post
    IMO the books are miles better than all three games stories. Witcher 3 best plots are in their DLC, the main campaign is a simple as it is.

And i still have no idea why they decided to have 2 full games with triss as a main character and ditching Ciri and Yennefer. The games main stories are fan fiction as they come, no matter the amazing gameplay, immersion and world building you get on Witcher 3, mostly (which is indeed one of my favorite games of all time). There's a reason the bloody baron quest stood out.
    First of all, considering the medium there's very little to criticise about the story. It's perhaps the game with the best story ever. There's a reason why almost all movies based on games are bad. A movie or series based on the Witcher games series instead of the books would still probably be very excellent.

And secondly, while yes, the main story line of the main game became very weird (to find A you need to find B, to find B you need to find C...) but the developers were aware of that and even poked fun at that themselves:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Which means there were reasons why it became that way. One of them being that the game tried to deliver to you as much content as possible, give you the possibility to explore as much of the world as possible. The second being that because they tried to stuff the game so much, they eventually had to cut corners. You can actually see it with stuff like the temple isle, the hierarch, the city council and so on.

Those later parts of the game were probably also done at a later stage of development, at which point they had deadlines and time pressure they didn't during the red baron questline.

Thirdly, regarding Triss: They clearly didn't think that far ahead during the first game. Which is totally normal and understandable. The first game was I think one of the first games of that studio ever. They could've had many reasons to include Triss in that one instead of Yennefer, either due to simple preference of the makers, or, in my opinion more likely, because she fit the taste one could expect gamers to have during the 2000s. Yennefer is the smart, sarcastic one. Triss is much more sassy and flirty and a redhead. So probably the better choice for that time. And good on them for choosing Triss, instead of changing Yennefer into something she isn't.

Bottom line is that writing screenplays (including for games) has very different, and much tighter constraints than those a book writer faces. Calling it fan fiction is very unfair. Especially since fan fiction tends to be very, very, very bad. The Ciri & Yennefer romances in the games were extremely well crafted, and the main game quests were often imbued with deeper meaning. The game endings, for example, were also just glorious. Not just in themselves, but also regarding the fact that we learned Geralt was not the main hero. Ciri was.

Hearts of Stone reigns supreme story wise, but the main game story isn't that much worse when all the constraints they had during development are considered.
    On the other hand, I didn't like the Blood and Wine DLC that much. At least not the main story there.
    I know what they were going for, and I can accept it, but it wasn't my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Well, its a matter of taste, but even though i prefer Witcher 3 as a game, i quite prefer the story and plot in Mass Effect 1, and Knights of the Old Republic 2 (with the restored content mod obviously), for example, than the one in Witcher 3. But yeah, all three could work in a tv series or films.

Dandelion in Witcher 3 was, IMO, just a shadow of what he was in Witcher 2, not to even mention the books. The whole Nilfgaard and Redania plot in Witcher 3 completely sucked IMO, and the finale with Dijkstra and Roche was terrible and quite against what we saw of Dijkstra in the books. Heart of Stone is indeed amazing, and i really liked Blood and Wine, though its a simpler main plot.

Be that as it may, why would anyone in their sane mind ditch the books, and therefore
    ditch, for example, Something More, Last Wish, Lesser Evil, Sword of Destiny, Thanedd Coup, Battle on the Bridge, Brenna, Sodden, Ciri Ice skating, desert and tir na lia, Bonhart, Vilgefortz, Regis, Milva, Cahir, the Rats, everything Yarpen, an actual good Dandelion and Dijkstra, and so on and so on
    and instead do a game adaptation -first-?

Hearing from all these game fanboys on twitter, such as Angry Joe, getting mad that they arent even acknowledging the games, and that they should because the games made the books popular, is hilarious. Yeah its a given that they made the books popular in the west, but so what? Does that automatically means the games are better? Certainly the LotR movies brought the books to a lot of people that woudnt have read it otherwise, and pretty much all LotR games are based on the movies and are in fact movie adaptations, does that means the movies are better than the books and that everything else from then on should acknowledge and resemble Peter Jackson's adaptation in favor of the books?*

*Not directed at anyone here, just the thousands of twitter and witcher reddit posts ive been reading, my gawd.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

I agree regarding the book adaptation, though I haven't read them.
    I'm just saying that game is really that good that it could be done.
    The Dijkstra/Roche ending was bad. Also yes. I suspect that here once again they took a shortcut. He's well developed and smart in the game as well, until suddenly this happens. So most likely some cuts here and generally when the northern half of Novigrad is concerned. That's not something that you can blame the writers for, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

I'm hoping that the show is mainly influenced from the books, the story etc and adapts the visuals and style from the PC game series. It would be a good combination in my opinion. Although Showrunners have already said that they won't copy something from the games.

Btw does anyone have info on Elves and Dwarves in the show? Haven't read anything on it yet.

Not sure about elves, but dwarves, Yarpen and his company were already casted and will appear in the first season, on the episode with Borch.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

Cool. Such diversity in races is a integral part of witcher world, so it would be good to see how they handle it.
    Want my elves though. Characters like Yaevinn and Iorverth really packed a punch in the game. The whole mystical elves and their history really piqued my interest. Loved reading in-game books and stuff like that. So lets see how the show projects that.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

writers of the show

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    Cool. Such diversity in races is a integral part of witcher world, so it would be good to see how they handle it.
    Want my elves though. Characters like Yaevinn and Iorverth really packed a punch in the game. The whole mystical elves and their history really piqued my interest. Loved reading in-game books and stuff like that. So lets see how the show projects that.
    I just hope they'll play it straight with a specific anatomical difference between elves and humans that led Ciri to discover a dark secret of Tir ná Lia, reinforcing the overall theme that no matter what race they are, everyone is essentially a selfish bastard.

@gastovski: oh jeez. Witcher books carry many dark themes in relation to immigration, racial and cultural clash,forced resettlement and general scumbaggery, and offer quite interesting and unique perspective on it. This does not fill me with confidence that the writers can properly adapt it or refrain from politicizing it and twisting it to their own agenda.

@Sarin: Indeed. In the end everyone had an agenda and was willing to be completely ruthless about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gastovski View Post
    writers of the show

Mein Gott!
    Shift 1 immigrant family in each of their homes until they can afford their own house and stable income and they will instantly regret posting it.

writers of the show
    Writing room dominated by SJW females. I think D&D are going to have some challengers to their horrible writing throne.

Don't really give a about their personal political stance and other BS as long as the show and its plot comes out okay. Based on the books don't think they can twist it to great extents to fuel their personal agendas in to it since they also have to ensure show's success.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernXY View Post
    Writing room dominated by SJW females. I think D&D are going to have some challengers to their horrible writing throne.
    this is a dangerous forum for conversative/logical/sane people. expect to be silenced and yelled at, possibly suspened (like exarch) for writing such a honest stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    Don't really give a about their personal political stance and other BS as long as the show and its plot comes out okay. Based on the books don't think they can twist it to great extents to fuel their personal agendas in to it since they also have to ensure show's success.
    I don't, I'm able to separate the art from the artist most of the time. However SJWs seem to be unable to prevent their politics from infesting what used to be called entertainment. I mean she "admitted" that all the writers do all day AT WORK is sit around and talk about how great PC culture is. You'd think they'd be discussing plot lines and dialogue, but maybe that's why I'm not a show runner, I don't have my priorities straight.

Just looking at Nilfgardian armor tells me everything I need to know about the show runner and her ego. Didn't bother to listen to the arms and armor consultant as well as the costume designer. She wants it her way even if it makes absolutely no sense. The fluting on the breastplate would never happen (especially as ripples) and certainly wouldn't be worn by anybody who wasn't royalty or extremely wealthy merchant, not Henchman #5. That stuff wasn't cheap.
    Last edited by NorthernXY; July 26, 2019 at 07:32 PM.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

this is a dangerous forum for conversative/logical/sane people. expect to be silenced and yelled at, possibly suspened (like exarch) for writing such a honest stuff.
    If anything exarch ever said was honest I’ll delete my account.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

i certainly cant wait for the complaints about SJW ruining the show when Dandelion and Cahir state that,
    when a member of their party was pregnant,“No one has the right to influence her decisions” and “Its her inalienable right” to choose to do what she wants with her body
    . Or when the main -villain- complains about the too empowered feminine gender and that they are dominating magic, and that men should take control back!

I'm sure the Scoia'tael will betrayed as 100% noble freedom fighters and humans as medieval Nazis. SJWs are known for their subtlety and not just calling people evil they disagree with.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernXY View Post
    I'm sure the Scoia'tael will betrayed as 100% noble freedom fighters and humans as medieval Nazis. SJWs are known for their subtlety and not just calling people evil they disagree with.
    Hopefully the world in the show will be with more Grey then that. As advertised.

Hopefully Netflix will have it in it, to do it. Even if their track record isn't good on that front.

At any case i dont expect much.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

We should be a bit more hesitant in condemning the show for its overly contrived "wokeness" before we have even seen it. Being woke isn't always bad, it's just usually bad. This could be the long prophesized exception. I am hopeful and think that the inherent darkness and grittiness of the Witcher world will act as a sufficient buffer against the apparent overly zealous "wokeness" of the creators' personalities.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

The comments on this last page