Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

Default Re: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

Out of curiosity, how has it been more Americanised than for example the games?
    I didn't feel the games were Americanized at all. Both Aesthetically and contextually. Hell even the original voice over is in Polish. The games made it feel like you were in eastern Europe in 14th Century, with fantasy trow in the pot. A mix of Fantasy tropes, with Slavic supernatural, traditional superstitions, and lore.
    This combination made it somewhat for a unique, and novel experience, in the realm of fantasy/adventure genre.

The show seems to depart from, this, and present us the world of the witcher in a more generic setup. While the scenes with Geralt work very well, in no small part due to Henry Cavill, everything else seems devoid of novelty and inspiration.
    Imo

The rest was all as if it were in any other British/American fantasy. Including the ethnical make-up, but most importantly the behaviour. Everyone behaves Western and practically nothing of the lore makes it into the game.
    Yes it was obvious Netflix were trying to pander to a western audience, from the beginning. In the process they lost a bit what made this world more alluring. In my opinion.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Some interesting points! It's probably a matter of it being too long since I played the games, so a lot of nuance has been lost to time..time for a replay of 3 I guess
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

The books are more arthurian than anything else. The further the seasons go the more they should give nods to it, if they will adapt it faithfully.

Whats exactly slavic about the northern kingdoms in the books, that wasnt shown in the series, by the way?

I cant think of a single change from the books, other than introducing non white characters across the series, that is a change from supposed slavicness to american/british "generic" fantasy. If the costumes had been more faithful to the books it would have been even more "generic" medieval fantasy.

Most of the short stories are fairy tales turned upside down, in the source material, and the core of those were adapted quite faithfully id say.

It was the games that turned the whole "slavicness" up to eleven. I get that people love the witcher 3 and so do i, but saying netflix turned the witcher into a generic american fantasy show is rather hilarious. This netflix series with all its changes is ten times more faithful to the source material than the games, which have basically simply regurgitated the book plots in random ways, retconned the ending, kept ciri and yennefer out for 2/3rds of its run and made triss the main love interest in the meanwhile, and so on.

I get the impression the people wanting more slavicness would have loved if they had adapted the "slavic" quests of the witcher 3 other than the "generic fantasy" short stories. Have these people watched episodes 3? 4? 5? 6? If you think these episodes are generic american fantasy, im sorry to break it to you but you think the witcher source material is generic american fantasy. The problem is probably on your definition of that
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Renfri and Queen Calanthe are the best actors in this show. The female leads, Yennefer, is subpar.

Fighting choreography in Blaviken was awesome. I was super pumped to see it. Watching episode 3 now...

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Well my daughter picked the show to watch over kill la kill for now. Hmm so far I enjoy the series but season one feels lot an immense amount of plot lines that have to come out of nowhere each episode and I presume get somewhere in season 2 (I mean I keep expecting a bit character cross over if just in passing but no)? Or am I looking at something made up out short stories that will always feel more like a police procedural episode of the week with some characters or episodes I like?
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Writers apparently find new ways to defy original material, common sense and the expectation of quality, not to mention their apparently inexistent reading ability.
    Episode 4:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Duny was cursed into appearance of hog, as in boar. Not hedgehog, especially not one that looks like it was stolen off initial Sonic movie trailer.

Could be differences in translation. There's a bunch of different fan translations out there.
    Anyway, I checked the one I have here. It's unclear, though the description is more consistent with a boar than hedgehog, and at least once he gets called pig in reference to the looks.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Well I checked the most trusted source on the internet now: Polish Wikipedia. "Jeżem z Erlenwald" = Hedgehog/"Urcheon of Erlenwald". Sar1n you either misremember or your translation is shite.

Not to mention that this is a ridiculously small detail to get angry at. Does this change the story so significantly if he's a bear instead of a hedgehog?!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Well I checked the most trusted source on the internet now: Polish Wikipedia. "Jeżem z Erlenwald" = Hedgehog/"Urcheon of Erlenwald". Sar1n you either misremember or your translation is shite.

Not to mention that this is a ridiculously small detail to get angry at. Does this change the story so significantly if he's a bear instead of a hedgehog?!
    It's mostly that it looks ridiculous...kinda looked out of place for me.
    I haven't checked the Polish translation to be honest. Referring to his name in connection with the curse, however, might be shoddy (though readers will know that it's an alias for a good reason)...

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

It's always been a hedgehod.

Not to mention the name itself Urcheon means hedgehog.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Could be differences in translation. There's a bunch of different fan translations out there.
    Anyway, I checked the one I have here. It's unclear, though the description is more consistent with a boar than hedgehog, and at least once he gets called pig in reference to the looks.
    Hm, it's hedgehog in the German book editions. I guess only a Polish reader of the original Sapkowski book releases could say for sure, or ofc Sapkowski himself.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

I very much like the series, I'm impressed with Henry Cavill's portrayal really.and all that

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    It's mostly that it looks ridiculous...kinda looked out of place for me.
    I haven't checked the Polish translation to be honest. Referring to his name in connection with the curse, however, might be shoddy (though readers will know that it's an alias for a good reason)...
    See the final battle, not only Yen's dress but also the same less than 2 dozen Nilfgaardians in that glorious armour in every shot, and then we can talk about looking ridiculous and out of place. You can really tell the series had a tight budget and ran out of money at a certain point. The hedgehog is ok under those circumstances. I wasn't weirded out as much as you were, not least because I didn't read the books and thus didn't have a mental image as to how he's supposed to look to me.

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Yen's dress but also the same less than 2 dozen Nilfgaardians in that glorious armour in every shot
    Yes but do want bad CGI instead? I mean even back in the day (with a A picture) Kubrick caused apoplexy when the Studio suits realized how many extras he was hiring for Spartacus and how long it was going to take to get them move like a trained army (and of course most of it cut by the suits because they thought it was boring - that is the final deployment by the Romans as per cohorts and sub units.)
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Citizen

I'm not necessarily blaming them, as long as they did the best with their budget they could (I hope that to have been the case). It's just very cheap shots in this case and yes, plenty of CGI. At times you'll see the same guys several times marching near each other to make it look like a bigger army. The number of extras used is really painfully low. If at least the substance of the battle had been better, but no. Might well be the worst battle I ever saw on screen. I'm not sure though. Hollywood & Co. have never been good at filming battles, and yes, that includes most of GoT.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Only seen 2 episodes so far, first one I was disappointed in and second one was much better.

Episode 1 was filled with too much pointless exposition. Especially in the tower about the women born during the eclipse.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

It was a pretty bad battle i'll give you that. And the result is that now, on a rewatch, i think episode 8 is probably the weakest.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

about halfway through, positively surprised, its quite fun. a sense of humour and self-aware at that. "here we go again, delivering exposition."