Page 1 of 26 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

Default The Witcher (Netflix Series)

So, i think this needs a thread of its own, rather than discussing it in the game thread.

Well Netflix is planning to release it somewhere in 2019 (i doubt this though, 2020 most likely) and have already bagged Henry Cavill for the lead role of Geralt. Which i personally think is great because he's an avid gamer and a great actor. Think he can potray as a slavic monster slayer kinda look easily.

Though my personal favourite for the role was Mads Mikkelsen. But oh well.

Also it seems Ciri will be Asian and not white.
    According to a confidential National Youth Theatre ad listing, Netflix is looking "for a 16 or 15 year old BAME (black, Asian, minority ethnic) girl who can play down to 13/14." The listing adds that the applicant must be under 18.

What's noteworthy about this is that Netflix and co. are looking for a nonwhite actress. As you may know, in the source material, Andrzej Sapkowski's book series, Ciri is depicted as racially white.

The listing continues, defining the character as resilient, relentless, brazen, and growing, and providing the following blurb about her background and involvement in the series' plot:

"CIRI can often be found rough-housing with the Palace hands instead of sitting in finery at the knee of the QUEEN CALANTHE, her grandmother. That is, until Cintra is massacred by the Nilfgaardians and CIRI is orphaned, left to traverse THE CONTINENT, alone. She doesn’t know it yet, but she’s a direct descendent of LARA DORREN, an Elven Mage – which is why everyone in our series is after her. We follow CIRI as she evades her captors, and in the meantime, discovers her magical talents, her dark side, and the role she is to play in the coming apocalypse. We are looking for an extraordinary young talent to lead this series. She should be brave hearted and MUST have something truly special about her."
    ^Source

Mark Hamill has also shown interest to play the role of Vesemir:
    https://geektyrant.com/news/mark-ham...witcher-series

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

"Also it seems Ciri will be Asian and not white."

Not sjw/pc at all.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

oh no, the color of a fantasy characters skin will be slightly different. wont someone think of the children?

the more important question is: will the name of the witchers mother be MARTHA?

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

No, this critic has really nothing to do with this then, it is just totally against the lore, very bad idea for everyone who is a witcher lore fan. I thought or i read in the Witcher thread, they had good contact with Sapkowski. I think he can't approve that Ciri cast plan at all. I don't, too But well, perhaps it is too soon to judge, one must first see the actress and dressed up as Ciri.
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 08, 2018 at 10:42 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Anybody who doubts Henry Cavill go watch Mission Impossible Fallout. That guy owned the movie. I mean, that guy just OWNED. For all everybody likes to ride those movies into the ground as chase scenes stringed together. Henry Cavill actually OWNED that movie.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

i am totally fine with the cav, the snyderverse really doesnt do him credit.

but i also like cheap shots, dont judge me pls.

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Adela_Marta

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    i am totally fine with the cav, the snyderverse really doesnt do him credit.

but i also like cheap shots, dont judge me pls.

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Adela_Marta

I wasn't judging you. This is just the beginning of the thread and you know as much as me that there are people whose only experience watching him act is the DCEU.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

all good, twas merely a jest. and i intend to keep running the martha thing into the ground, and no mistake

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Personally I don't see an issue with Ciri having an Asian actress. The only visual characteristics that the books mention are that she a) has ashen hair, and b) is distantly related to the elves.
    Plus, Sapkowski is involved in the show and he's a crotchety old guy who thinks the games ruined his work, so I doubt he'd give in to SJW demands.

Just wait and see what it looks like.
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; September 08, 2018 at 02:05 PM.

I really didn't like Henry Cavill in DC films, but perhaps that's the fault of DC films. I heard he's quite a cool guy actually, a gamer and stuff, so maybe he'll have a better connection to the show than other actors might have. Especially if he played Witcher 3 (who hasn't?).

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

is distantly related to the elves.
    Guess that’s the reason then
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    Guess that’s the reason then
    Why not? So long as they look something like this, rather than this, its not something to get in a tissy fit about since its hardly like we can convince Netflix to change the casting.

An Asian actress would work for Milva, one of the Rats or the Elf Queen.
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; September 08, 2018 at 02:39 PM.

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I only just found out that they were thinking of an Asian actress to play Ciri and tbh I think it'd work quite well.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    Why not? So long as they look something like this, rather than this, its not something to get in a tissy fit about since its hardly like we can convince Netflix to change the casting.

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade_Rory View Post
    I only just found out that they were thinking of an Asian actress to play Ciri and tbh I think it'd work quite well.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My thoughts exactly
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Eh doesn't much matter to me, as long as the actor fits best for the role it's fine.

Asia's such a bigggg continent.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Asia's such a bigggg continent.
    with lots of different looking people, too. how we call these people again who think everyone who isnt the them looks the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post

i dont get it, no one had a problem with this, orlando bloom with just a wig and fake ears.

Last edited by HannibalExMachina; September 08, 2018 at 07:16 PM.

Blog Entries

Middle Earth was kind of more based on a fantasy Europe I think

Orland Bloom looked damn good as Legolas. My problem with going for an Asian actress, is that repeated attempts by Asian actresses (those based in Hong Kong and Korean film industry) to break into Hollywood showed some pretty lame acting if you ask me. Michelle Yeoh is the exception, not the general rule. Im thinking of Independence Day Resurgence, The Great Wall, X-Men Days of Future Past. Oriental Asian culture is just really different... I really don't Witcher to use a Hong Kong or Korean actress. There's plenty of domestic Americanized Asian talent or just use a white cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    Though my personal favourite for the role was Mads Mikkelsen. But oh well.
    I think he's not built to have a buffed body. He just has a leaner one. So, it's understandable they go for someone like Cavill.

Quote Originally Posted by gastovski View Post
    Not sjw/pc at all.
    What's PC about it?

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    No, this critic has really nothing to do with this then, it is just totally against the lore, very bad idea for everyone who is a witcher lore fan. I thought or i read in the Witcher thread, they had good contact with Sapkowski. I think he can't approve that Ciri cast plan at all. I don't, too But well, perhaps it is too soon to judge, one must first see the actress and dressed up as Ciri.
    Why is it against the lore?

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    I really didn't like Henry Cavill in DC films, but perhaps that's the fault of DC films. I heard he's quite a cool guy actually, a gamer and stuff, so maybe he'll have a better connection to the show than other actors might have. Especially if he played Witcher 3 (who hasn't?).
    The guy was born to play Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    Middle Earth was kind of more based on a fantasy Europe I think
    Fantasy based on European history, not races.
    The Armenian Issue

Page 1 of 26 1234567891011 ... LastLast