Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

I never played the Witcher games, so I don't mind what races play the characters
    (in all likeness i won't even watch this anyway!)

I can see how some might dislike it, though.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

But for the fact that that region is a lot more diverse in the 12th to 14th century, sure, we'll take your word for it.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Interesting thing aren't slavs a ethnic minority too in Britain?
    yup, and british nationalists like to treat them like lepers. so?

Quote Originally Posted by LaMuerte View Post
    I came here for some hardcore Witcher talk and Witcher videos. All I found were fools discussing Asians. Left disappointed...
    you know how it is, roses are red, snowflakes are white and easily offended by the existence of....other people.

Well Netflix is planning to release it somewhere in 2019 (i doubt this though, 2020 most likely) and have already bagged Henry Cavill for the lead role of Geralt. Which i personally think is great because he's an avid gamer and a great actor. Think he can potray as a slavic monster slayer kinda look easily.

im a bit confused by the OP, they seem rather certain its coming 2019, not 20?

https://twitter.com/LHissrich/status...991169/photo/1

I simply disagreed with you claim in post #43.
    You claimed based on sword of destiny quote, that Ciri sounded more like an Anime character, then a traditional white person, that alone is a subjective assumption ( even though the quote describes a typically white person, not to mention that an Anime character might not be Asian necessarily ) , you noted that Ciri had Elven descent and thus that an Asian would be more accurate in portraying ciri then a white person. ( cant seem to understand the logic on that one. )
    So yeah I found that statement bull crap. The witcher Universe is strongly based of and inspired by Medieval eastern Europe, specifically Poland. There is a setting here to consider.... imo.
    Also all elves in the witcher universe are white, for example, that is a trait.
    Despite all that, i concede that some Asian girls can pass of as ciri as described.... i just dont agree that they are more accurate. That is a arrogant claim to say the least.
    I also cant understand how an Asian Girl ability to look like Ciri , excuses netflix Looking for BAME girls to play Ciri.
    No, the quote does not describe a typically white person in any way. Only a fraction of the white people in Europe fit that description. This is not really subjective. Whiteness isn't even something that is uniform. Sure, it made sense against Africans, but white people have many different shades that can go pretty dark. A Spanish, Italian or Greek will look vastly different from a Scandinavian. Many Asian races are more accurate to portray a person with ashen white skin. Most Europeans doesn't even come close to it. The game's depiction was more central European than ashen white. It was quite off. Having any random Asian girl would be more accurate to the depiction of ashen white. That's just common sense.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    I never played the Witcher games, so I don't mind what races play the characters
    (in all likeness i won't even watch this anyway!)

I can see how some might dislike it, though.
    Oh you will watch it, i know it. SO you can post interesting stuff about it, like you do in game of thrones thread

On another note, the witcher games are pretty good, i did found The Witcher 3 quite amazing.

There is Tywin lannister there as the Emperor of Nifgaard, and the biological father of Ciri.

And another character, the bloody baron, that i could swear was voiced by Robert Baratheon (allthough i know it isnt, but dam it really sounds the same.) he also is a drunk, who likes to beat his wife!!

The baron...

yup, and british nationalists like to treat them like lepers. so?
    So does Netflix apparently.

"Setekh"
    No, the quote does not describe a typically white person in any way.... Only a fraction of the white people in Europe fit that description....
    What is it then? in anyway or some do fit? I do think that those some, fit more that description then your typically Asian. But whatever.

Fair hair/ blonde hair, Green eyes, and having Pale skin, winch is what Ashen skin really means...

With a description like this, typically is white people who would fit the description. Not, Asian, not Black, etc. And i mean Typically, i mean generally or normally, meaning yes i dont mean all white people fit the bill.... To say the quote does not describe a white person in any way is borderline lunacy.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 09, 2018 at 04:17 PM.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

How is people being mad about a possible major deviation from the lore racist? I'd say Netflix going out of its way to force a change and basically saying "anything but a white actress" would be far more objectionable. If this were true I really wouldn't get it, Ciri and her heritage is one of the main plots in the Witcher stories and casting a BAME actress only complicates it for them. Because if Ciri is minority ethnic her family should also be of the same ethnicity and by extension Cintra and/or Nilfgaard probably as well.

What is it then? in anyway or some do fit? I do think that those some, fit more that description then your typically Asian. But whatever.
    Fair hair/ blonde hair, Green eyes, and having Pale skin, winch is what Ashen skin really means, it is a typical trait of Caucasian people. How is that not typical of a description of white people?
    With a description like this, typically is white people who would fit the description. Not, Asian, not Black, etc. And i mean Typically, i mean generally or normally, meaning yes i dont mean all white people fit the bill.... To say the quote does not describe a white person in any way is borderline lunacy.
    Typically implies in average. Ciri fitting only a fraction of white people in Europe does not mean a typical white person fits that description...

You jumped through logic there. Pale skin in contrast to Africans is not ashen white skin. I already posted an example with ashen white skin. It looks nothing like your typical European.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    How is people being mad about a possible major deviation from the lore racist? I'd say Netflix going out of its way to force a change and basically saying "anything but a white actress" would be far more objectionable. If this were true I really wouldn't get it, Ciri and her heritage is one of the main plots in the Witcher stories and casting a BAME actress only complicates it for them. Because if Ciri is minority ethnic her family should also be of the same ethnicity and by extension Cintra and/or Nilfgaard probably as well.
    you mean, like, elves? we already had that topic on page 1....

Not only elves. Cintrian and Nilfgaard Royal lines as well its Nobility.

Typically implies in average. Ciri fitting only a fraction of white people in Europe does not mean a typical white person fits that description...

You jumped through logic there. Pale skin in contrast to Africans is not ashen white skin. I already posted an example with ashen white skin. It looks nothing like your typical European.
    She doesn't look like the typical Asian either, that's for sure.

Europe is a big place. Eastern Europe you will find people like that much more comon...

Blonde, Green Eyes, Pale Skin, Scar on her cheek. Im sorry but the quote clearly states she has Ashen WHITE skin.

From Sword of Destiny page 416. “She had fair hair, ashen white complexion and large impetuous green eyes”

That is how i see her in the books. In the game she isn't far off the mark from that description.

I think you are just making some forceful gymnastics to prove the assertion that the book description, fits more easily a typical Asian then a typical white person. which is an Absurd.

Yep. Dont like Black Ciri? then you must be a racist. What is wrong with the world this days?!

Any way this is all mute, they could cast anyone, we wont know until it is announced.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 09, 2018 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    You do realize the Western cinema is full of far Asian actors and actresses capturing the local culture just fine, right?
    Such as?

@Knight of Heaven

Idk why we're econcerned about the way a person looks... I really can't give two if Ciri is Asian, White, or Black. What I do care is whether they can act the role well. I'm worried that this'll be yet another attempt for an Asian actress to try to break into Hollywood (mainstream Western media). Just cast a well-known American or European actor. Quality>Looks. Personally I wouldn't have minded Nicolaj Coster as Geralt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Such as?

@Knight of Heaven

Idk why we're econcerned about the way a person looks... I really can't give two if Ciri is Asian, White, or Black. What I do care is whether they can act the role well. I'm worried that this'll be yet another attempt for an Asian actress to try to break into Hollywood (mainstream Western media). Just cast a well-known American or European actor. Quality>Looks. Personally I wouldn't have minded Nicolaj Coster as Geralt.
    Talent regardless of looks? That would be grand if Netflix was looking for it, but they aren't, when they exclude ethnicities in their casting call. That is rather hypocritical stance if you ask me.

However the major issue that i have is that is a deviation from source material, and simply put the Ethnic roots of Ciri are rather a big part of the character and the major plot incidentally. There is probably other characters that would be fine to be different, but Ciri? It is a concern because the way a character looks it is part of their characterization. Sometimes is fine to change on several levels, other times is more tricky.

Personally im not a big fan of the whitewashing, or black-washing etc in films and such where you do have already established characterized characters. Netfliz already received flak on the account of their Death-note film deservedly so... i also remember the ghost in a shell debacle a way back.

At any case we really dont know what they are going to do ill wait and see.

The series takes flight.

Up, up and away!
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

I remembered that Cavill, in the past, has played a medieval role in Tudors:

As Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk.

And a mythological role as well, as Theseus, in Immortals:

So I think he would have no problem playing the role of a Witcher, swinging swords and .

Not only elves. Cintrian and Nilfgaard Royal lines as well its Nobility.
    She doesn't look like the typical Asian either, that's for sure.
    Europe is a big place. Eastern Europe you will find people like that much more comon...
    Blonde, Green Eyes, Pale Skin, Scar on her cheek. Im sorry but the quote clearly states she has Ashen WHITE skin.
    From Sword of Destiny page 416. “She had fair hair, ashen white complexion and large impetuous green eyes”
    That is how i see her in the books. In the game she isn't far off the mark from that description.
    I think you are just making some forceful gymnastics to prove the assertion that the book description, fits more easily a typical Asian then a typical white person. which is an Absurd.
    You accuse me of making gymnastics while demonstrating gymnastics yourself. Ashen white skin is not your typical white European skin. The label white came into being to distinguish between Africans and Europeans. It's not meant to describe skin color that is snow white. So, no, ashen white is not your typical white.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Such as?
    Lucy Liu
    Maggie Q
    Kelly Hu
    Elodie Yung
    Jamie Chung
    The Armenian Issue

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    I think he's not built to have a buffed body. He just has a leaner one. So, it's understandable they go for someone like Cavill.

What's PC about it?

Why is it against the lore?

The guy was born to play Superman.

Fantasy based on European history, not races.
    You asked me why it is against the lore (the Ciri Asian cast plan).

Simple. Sapkowski is the one who created the world and its characters. Therefor i mentioned him, that he would very probably not approve that cast for Ciri.

There is no mention in the books that Ciri would look like an Asian female.
    Vice versa, everything that can be taken from the books would suggest something else.

Also, as people refer for Elves to Asian looks, that is, if overall, an idea that comes slightly from CDPR's design for Elves, which is taken practically from or inspired by other existing games with Elves, i suppose.

No hint in Sapkowski's books that this design is suggested by him. At no point, iirc., Elves are described with Asian facial structures or any appearance in that regard and for example Spok ears.
    It's game production fantasy content. And it is no secret, that Sapkowski wasn't very fond of the Witcher games.

That said, ofc a game producer or movie maker has artistical freedom.
    Nonetheless, some lore fans who give something on lore-realism won't be convinced easily by those designs.
    Simple as that. And thus according critic is provoked, automatically.

As for Elves, look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elf ... nordic mythology!

As for the witcher's world geography, i would suggest that the following is what Sapkowski thought, circa: Nilfgaard = HRE regions including Alps and possibly even Italy and southern France for Toussaint; Northern Kingdoms = Poland and from this western Baltic areas to todays Germany and possibly even southern Danmark; Skellige = Skandinavian Isles; other regions = Baltic areas; and perhaps something into Hungarian hilly and steppe lands. Overseas to the south, northern Africa probably. While ofc that remains speculation (would need researchment, or an according interview, what Sapkowski really had in his mind).
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 10, 2018 at 07:04 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    As for the witcher's world geography, i would suggest that the following is what Sapkowski thought, circa: Nilfgaard = HRE regions including Alps and possibly even Italy and southern France for Toussaint; Northern Kingdoms = Poland and from this western areas; Skellige = Skandinavian Isles; other regions = Baltic areas; and perhaps something into Hungarian hilly lands. Overseas to the south, northern Africa probably.
    Yes that's how i always saw it as well. Anyways, lets see what NF casts as Ciri. I'm sure it will be fine in the end.

Senator

I`m always astonished by the fervor these Witcher Fans are having towards this Universe... I`m ecited about the news and positive about Carvill. About the Rest we`ll see, shall we?

so, it seems this needs pointing out, the author is on board, unlike the games, where he was very much not:

There are a veritable library of short stories and eight novels to choose from, but we'd bet our Nilfgaardian florens that the Witcher Netflix series will focus on the saga made up of five novels, which focus on Geralt's relationship with Ciri. Writer Sapkowski has already confirmed he'll be acting as a creative consultant on the show.

"I’m thrilled that Netflix will be doing an adaptation of my stories, staying true to the source material and the themes that I have spent over 30 years writing," he said when the show was announced last year.

https://www.gamesradar.com/the-witch...ate-cast-plot/

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

“When the show was announced last year”

”staying true to the source material”

gave me a chuckle ngl
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Haha the internet is going wild with Ciri being BAME:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Top lel.