Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526

Thread: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

I enjoyed season 1 but it took almost half the episodes to get the ball rolling. I won't watch the trailer since I can wait for the show to come out. But that being said I have no idea why they are advertising this in July if it is meant to come out in December. They could have waited until September to drop the trailer honestly. Disregarding the fact that this was obviously a ploy to build up anticipation and to remind people that the series existed.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; December 30, 2021 at 08:46 PM. Reason: "took" as in I took your money at gun point

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    I enjoyed season 1 but it talk almost half the episodes to get the ball rolling. I won't watch the trailer since I can wait for the show to come out. But that being said I have no idea why they are advertising this in July if it is meant to come out in December. They could have waited until September to drop the trailer honestly. Disregarding the fact that this was obviously a ploy to build up anticipation and to remind people that the series existed.
    If you haven't checked it out yet, season 2 is way better than season 1. Season 1 is just an introduction of characters and a series of cheesy monster battles. Season 2 is also a series of cheesy monster battles but with an underlying foreboding story that is refreshingly very well written. The show doesn't take itself too seriously and yet, as medieval fantasy, it retains one of the few positive aspects of Game of Thrones: you never know which character they might deform or actually kill off for shock value!

Unless of course you're one of them fancy pants book readers who knew it all beforehand like some literate Frenchman. Yuck! Murica!

The show in season 2 does a great job of fleshing out the warring factions, especially the Elves and Nilfgaard, and adding real depth to the existing characters and new ones. The last two episodes are honestly a rollercoaster, genuinely thrilling stuff. I didn't care much for Ciri in the first season, but she is a much more fascinating character in the newest one. They also bring back the bard for comic relief. Some might find it hard to get through the first episode, though, because it's the cheesiest one of the bunch. However, the friendlier monster dude in that first episode is literally Tormund from Game of Thrones, the actor Kristofer Hivju. Glad he's getting work at least.

Knowing the books,and the video games, im really having trouble enjoying any of this. Didn't like Season 1 at all. And from what i can tell season 2 is even worse. Even if it has some good moments. The whole thing falls short of what could have been. And i think it could have been great.

I dont know who wrote Jaskier in this, but is completely ridiculous, trying to seduce women.... he comes off as this awkward nerd that doesnt know how to speak to a woman ( probably projection on the writers part) They turned the comedic relief into a 100% and its a put off. Jaskier / Dandelion completely dis-characterized. He is supposed to be a comedic, but not that much. He is not supposed to be a total clown.
    Also he is supposed to be a womanizer. a Rock Star from the medieval ages, he would have groupies and such, he wouldn't be awkward around women.. Also i find the inserts of modern political stuff a put off, specially when its done in a very on the nose kinda way. Be political, but stick to the in universe stuff, and let people think for themselves.
    They should had been more close to the source material in my opinion.
    And whats the point of Fringila? im just.... At least Triss was better, Djikstra was great as well.

But overall? very much meh. I had much more fun watching Arcane (which is fantastic, amazingly written, Netflix do more of that). Hellbound and Squid Game were great too.

The Witcher series? not so much.

Want good Witcher experience go play the Witcher 3. That is amazing.

Having never played the games or read the books, I’ve enjoyed the show for what it’s worth. Henry Cavill consistently delivers a performance that carries the whole production. Season 1 was fun while S02 less so, but I did appreciate they tried to pay a bit more attention to lore and exposition for people unfamiliar with it. If Season 3 isn’t more engaging though, I don’t have high hopes for the longevity of the series.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

I think S2 was an improvement upon S1, but still left a lot to be desired

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I liked season two for the most part. Only things I hated were Eskell, the gratuitous villain and the continued casting of whoever plays Merigold, and Yennefer.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

I have played the first Witcher game, part of the 2nd, read wikipedia on the Witcher long before the series and...

I liked season 1. Haven't watched season 2.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Witcher 1 with FCR mod is the best of all Witcher games and movies.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Gonna have to remember this...

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Considering that I found the combat on the precipice of being annoyingly difficult, I am not sure that's for me.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Considering that I found the combat on the precipice of being annoyingly difficult, I am not sure that's for me.
    Well, yes, this is the whole point of the mod. Full Combat Rebalance. It's not meant to be easy.

TW1 is clunky controls as but gets the job done. Outdated graphics but compelling story that no TW fan should miss. FCR mod is not for everybody, be prepared to reload game multiple times.

As for the show, I have no time to watch anything right now but I'm hyped for this one since I have mostly heard positive and better than season 1, which I liked as well.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Try The witcher 3 it will blow your mind, and show you how mediocre the TV show is.

The only good thing about it is Henry Cavil. In season 2 the scenes with Geralt and Ciri were ok. But the rest is just beyond mediocre.

Wow, nobody is talking about this show anymore and with Netflix stock dropping it'll probably be cancelled (expensive).

They apparently got a better costume designer because the indescribably bad armor from Nilfgaard is now gone in the 2nd season.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernXY View Post
    Wow, nobody is talking about this show anymore and with Netflix stock dropping it'll probably be cancelled (expensive).
    I have slight doubts about this conclusion since somebody is actually talking about The Witcher.

We dont know yet the ramifications for the future, regarding netflix. If season 3 is filming most likelihood it will have a season 3, how well it will do? and if goes beyond that, its up to grabs. generally i dont think season 2 did as well as season 1. And i suspect season 3 will do even worse.

Still no doubt netflix is in a pickle. And its not the only streaming service that it is.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Watching Season 2. So far it has been meh since Season 2 has nothing that is really going for it. It lacks the charm of Season 1.

I am not understanding what has happened so far... They killed Eskel and literally replaced him with a Black guy as the new side character? It has been almost a decade since I played Witcher 3 but I am 99.997% that Eskel never died. So it is deliberate now? They get rid of the annoying White guy Eskel to throw in a random Black character that they just made up?

WTF is a Netflix? I am watching this on an obscure website. I vaguely remember a thing called Netflix that I used to pay for like 6+ years ago but there was never anything to watch. Except a bunch of random low budget TV series about homosexuals that were not very appealing. Therefore I had no reason to keep paying for that.

Then Disney+ thought it would get me to pay for their platform using Star Wars as bait but I just laughed. Ironically a guy I know hooked me up with a free Disney+ account but I have literally never used it. Even though I watched all of the Mandalorian and Boba Fett. If Disney with its unlimited money and IPs can't even make me pay for their service why would Netflix?

They say that people are willing to pay for something so long as it is good as a counter to online piracy. But those people are lazy and are unwilling to just go find alternatives to paying. I imagine that a lot of people just aren't paying and the people claiming otherwise are just lying or coping.

But yeah Witcher season 2... meh. Not helped by how fugly Yennifer and Trish look. Just go play the games?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Yennifer isn't fugly, not a knock-out like the video game but Triss is not my cup of tea. I think everybody was hoping TV Triss would be more like game Triss, who is described as one the most beautiful sorceress without magic, she's allergic.