Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    I also noticed geralt swinging swords and taking down full plate armoured soldiers with ease. It bothers me but this is usual BS in shows so can't really say much.
    So far it looks good overall. Acting wise I also feel Cavill has delivered well. Now we just have to wait to see the actual show in December. Overall I'm hyped.
    It's a fantasy world so getting through plate might be justified, imo.
    On the main character - Cavill is too cute, I really do think Mads Mikkelsen's weird look and acting would be much better for Gerald (and Christopher Waltz as Vilgefortz ;-)
    And Sar1n is right - it looks like a Hollywood generic fantasy, loosing all "slavic" tiny features that made the novels standing out.

On the main character - Cavill is too cute, I really do think Mads Mikkelsen's weird look and acting would be much better for Gerald (and Christopher Waltz as Vilgefortz ;-)
    Sure. Although im pleasantly surprised by Cavils voice on this.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Is this out yet?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Is this out yet?
    December.
    But new Trailer is out.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Somewhere in Toussaint.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

those trailers have tiddies, how do you guys get away with posting them

but this also has the coveted gerald bathtub scene

dunno your issues with the armour etc, looks decent to me.

I enjoyed the short stories and the first couple books in his series, but he starts focusing on Ciri more and they're considerably less entertaining than Geralt's. I kept thinking how much more I enjoyed Aria's chapters in ASOIAF while reading them.

The show will get cancelled. Expensive to produce and sounds like it's going to be meh.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...ng-1203377007/
    Last edited by NorthernXY; November 15, 2019 at 12:33 AM.

Unlikely as of yet. Netflix already renewed it for season 2. Looks like it has been received well internally.

https://www.game-debate.com/news/279...ins-early-2020

The series is a big insult to the fancommunity of this franchise the same way disneys star wars is an insult to star wars fans.
    I just hope one day i will be able to see the execution cartel style of all the netflix people involved in this pile of garbage on lifeleak.

what a pathetic, spat out culture this is that can'r even retell some fantasies stories anymore.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Raubritter View Post
    The series is a big insult to the fancommunity of this franchise the same way disneys star wars is an insult to star wars fans.
    I just hope one day i will be able to see the execution cartel style of all the netflix people involved in this pile of garbage on lifeleak.

what a pathetic, spat out culture this is that can'r even retell some fantasies stories anymore.
    so, from 0 to 100 how this is?.

Quote Originally Posted by gastovski View Post
    so, from 0 to 100 how this is?.
    Generic crap fantasy. I just finished first episode. They butchered whatever was unique to the original, start the storytelling in the middle, totally twisted the Blaviken thing...

The only thing good were some musical parts, which were obviously influenced by the Witcher 3 game.

Edit: I should've made a pun that they butchered the Blaviken. Oh well...
    Last edited by Sar1n; December 20, 2019 at 07:47 AM.

Bad acting, dialogue and horrible costumes. The battle scene made no sense. Whole thing felt like a bad Narnia ripoff.

THOUGH,

Geralt was awesome! Fight scenes where also good. But man, what a huge (but expected) disappointment

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Absolutely loved the show.
    Geralt and Yen chemistry was perfect imo, and it did not felt rushed for me. The Last Wish and the Bounds of Reason episodes are certainly my favorites specifically because of this. Anya and Henry did amazing jobs.
    My main disappointments are brokilon forest and the battle of sodden. Wasnt much of a fan of
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    how a protagonist and leader Yennefer was for the latter, the mage theatrics werent nothing to write home about, while on the former the dialogue wasnt that good, the dryads were rather meh and the queen lacked a certain charm.

CGI was great except one monster.
    Jaskier and Calanthe were absolutely great, bringing out their best in all of their scenes. Great comedic timing across the show, from episode 2 to 7 specially. Laughed my ass off a couple of times. Also, honestly, got a bit emotional during some Geralt and Yen scenes in the later episodes, which is more than what i can say about pretty much everything ive watched in the past few years.

I give it a 8.5/10. A wee bit more than i give the Two Towers and Return of the King (which i also love). Though this rating is of course subject to changes due to rewatches. First time i watched the Force Awakens i thought it was a 5/10. Second time it was a 2/10. Now its an unwatchable movie out of my review spectrum. Just to set an example as everyone in here has rather strong opinions about Star wars
    Unrelated but, all the main changes Peter Jackson did to LotR affected me, negatively, way more than the changes from the books in this season. Kudos to the crew. My expectations for season 2 have skyrocketed. Specially since they have changed the costume designer.

Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Saw a couple of episodes while doing things like packing and cooking dinner and sorting through clothes: The series is rather watchable. But had zero expectations and previous investment (even though I love the Witcher games, I completely uncoupled the two).

A word of caution to the novel readers: An exact retelling of the story isn't what you should ever expect, nor is it what you should want. Aside from the fact that this will look differently in everyone's head, a tv-series is a completely different medium than a book. And for that reason alone it needs to be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

It's okay.

Some ropy dialogue and very sketchy CGI, maybe not enough monsters and the editing/story-boarding could do with some sort of mechanic to keep the audience on track with the timelines. If I was being picky, the use of modern language is jarring at times (arrows are not 'fired') and the humour is a bit hit and miss.

It's really obvious it's based on game and even feels like watching a game at times.

I liked the first episode. Nothing spectacular but Henry really does well as Geralt. I'm impressed.
    And lol Nilfgaard armor is pure lolz.

I haven't read the books so loving the storyline.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    It's okay.

Some ropy dialogue and very sketchy CGI, maybe not enough monsters and the editing/story-boarding could do with some sort of mechanic to keep the audience on track with the timelines. If I was being picky, the use of modern language is jarring at times (arrows are not 'fired') and the humour is a bit hit and miss.

It's really obvious it's based on game and even feels like watching a game at times.
    It's not based on a game tho' but on the novel series. Agree with the rest though.

I've actually already binged them (though honestly only with half my attention while doing a lot of other stuff), but I've now technically seen the entire first season. Technically because I definitely missed some stuff, and especially that last episode made little sense to me because of that. Anyway, here's a

SPOILERFREE review:

Pros:
    • Small scale fights are usually done very well. Some exceptions but mostly really good
    • Some characters/actors perform well. I have to respect Cavill for his role, even though I would have preferred someone else. Stregobor and some other roles were also well cast/performed.
    • Usually what I'd say to flashbacks is: "Please don't!" They tend to go wrong. This time is the exception. It was probably the best way to get through the exposition without making it feel like one. It wasn't made in a confusing manner. Nor does it matter that you don't immediately get that those are different timelines.
    • They very obviously threw bones at those who loved the games here and there. The music has many melodies alluding to the game soundtrack.
    • The "graphics" are mostly quite nice.
    • The game is also alluded to in the first episodes with a choice Geralt has to make. A moral dilemma very reminiscent of what the games put you through time and again.

Minusses:
    • Many characters were badly cast: Triss, Yennefer and Foltest are top of my list in that regard.
    • Large scale battles are "meh" at best. Obviously they had budget constraints to work with.
    • Most significantly: They "depolishified" the universe. What made this game so special and dear to me is its eastern setting. The folklore is heavily based on slavic culture, and so are many other things. They removed almost all references and turned an eastern thing into a western thing. Turned one of its distinguishing features into some standard run-of-the-mill-fantasy. In that vein also the black actors: I'm not against them per se, and not in all roles, but again: It should have been slavic folklore, not American. The irony being that this was partly motivated by political correctness, and yet this cultural appropriation is the farthest from political correct it can be.
    • The feminist rants were also mostly a complete miss. If you're a queen loved by everyone who does literally anything she likes, you should not be ranting about how hard it is to be a woman and that you can't do what you like. Meanwhile doing anything you like and always getting away with it. Same goes with a rant in a cart. Ranting about how tough it is to be a woman in this world while being a princess and the other woman agreeing with her even after literally dozens of men around her have been slayed... I mean... Come on. This was literally tacked on to the script with no regard to the context of its own setting.
    • Nilfgaardian armour - just kidding. It really didn't matter at all. Though good news to those who care: They'll likely use different ones in the next season. They hired someone new for those. But I can't stress enough that this really doesn't matter at all.
    • I'm not sure how much of this is because of the script and how much of this is due to the novels, but I don't like really evil evil. Did they have to present the Nilfgaardians as the worst scum?

All in all I'd still give it a 7/10. In spite of the many minusses, those mainly mean that instead of something that could have been really great, we got something that's just standard.
    Usually I dislike fantasy, this time I at the very least stuck with it. I have not read the novels, so no emotional baggage from there, whereas the games, which take place after the novels/series simply meant that I was interested in seeing what Geralt had gone through before the start of the first game. The only really big minus in my opinion was the westernisation of it all. They shouldn't have done that. Other than that: It's ok. Story I mentioned neither as a plus nor a minus, because it's just ok. Nothing mindblowing, nothing crazy good like early GoT, but nothing bad either. It's good enough.

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

6 episodes in, I'm really enjoying it so far! Having read the collection of short stories it's based on (The Last Wish) it often feels like I know what's about to happen too quickly, but what the hell, the same can be said for any adaptation of a novel, and the changes they make are usually interesting and work in their own right. The different timelines are explored well and when they intertwine it feels natural.

Out of curiosity, how has it been more Americanised than for example the games? I'd argue that for the most part it's similar to the games and novels, in some parts maybe even better at keeping true to the novel than the games (ie Jaskier is called that instead of Dandelion). Is it purely because of actors like Cavill you feel this way? Also mostly a sidenote, I do enjoy the different accents depending on where the episode takes place; it feels like Geralt actually travels the north, not just keeping to the same 3 villages.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Citizen

It's not what they did, it's more that they simply erased almost every reference to it being set in a fantasy version of eastern Europe. You see some very few Slavic traditional clothes on only very few of the many characters, and I only remember one house (the very last one, and even that one isn't that good) looking at least a little bit slavic. The rest was all as if it were in any other British/American fantasy. Including the ethnical make-up, but most importantly the behaviour. Everyone behaves Western and practically nothing of the lore makes it into the game.