Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Captain Marvel (2019 MCU movie)

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Default Captain Marvel (2019 MCU movie)

Entertainment Weekly posted a cover story on Captain Marvel today. In EW tradition the cover itself is garbage that you might expect from someone who took a 2 hour photography course followed by a 1 hour intro to photoshop course, but the stills from the movie actually look really good.

Spoiler for spoilers in case you want to avoid plot points, plus the images are huge
    In the movie she has left earth, gained superpowers at some point, and is now part of a Kree special forces unit called Starforce

In this shot of her team you might notice Ronan the accuser and Korvath (the "Who?!?" guy from Guardians) presumably before they became evil, as Korvath at least is on the team.

Jude Law plays Mar-Vell, her mentor. Lee Pace reprises his role as Ronan.

The movie covers the Kree-Skrull war, a major event from the comics. These are the Skrulls, a shapeshifting race adept at infiltrating other civilizations before conquering them. Ben Mendelsohn plays their leader, clearly infiltrating Earth in this scene.

It takes place in the 90s so expect to see plenty of 90s fashion, plus it's got a digitally de-aged Sam Jackson as Nick Fury prior to his promotion to director (and prior to losing an eye).

Danvers' origin is as an air force pilot. The movie also features another fighter pilot Maria "Photon" Rambeau as a side character, who is clearly meant to be a nod to Monica Rambeau, another character who has donned the Captain Marvel moniker who has also gone by various other names including Photon. Maria is likely meant to be Monica's mother, which since this is set in the 90s could be setting up a future MCU character for phase 4.

Trailer is likely to come in the next week or so.
    Last edited by the_mango55; September 05, 2018 at 06:18 PM.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

Default Re: Captain Marvel (2019 MCU movie)

captain marvel? Mar-Vell?

so, obviously im starting to suffer from marvel fatique, and not being terrible into it in the first place, can we expect something new from this iteration?

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    captain marvel? Mar-Vell?

so, obviously im starting to suffer from marvel fatique, and not being terrible into it in the first place, can we expect something new from this iteration?
    Haha yes in the comics the Kree hero Mar-Vell is the original (marvel comics version of) Captain Marvel. I think they are going to sidestep Mar-Vell being called Captian Marvel in the movie, which is a good idea IMO.

This is a highly complicated issue that involves both labyrinthine comic book canon as well as real world legal battles, since DC owned the rights to an already established character at the time named Captain Marvel (who also has a movie coming out), but they weren't actively publishing the comic in the 60s, which allowed Marvel Comics to swoop in and steal the name since Copyright law requires intellectual properties and trademarks to be in use to be protected.

As far as something new? I don't know what I can tell you. I'm not at all suffering from Marvel fatigue because I think their movies have been pretty varied in genre. I mean they range from standard superhero flicks (Iron Man, Dr Strange) heist movies (Ant-Man 1 & 2) to spy thrillers (Winter Soldier) to buddy comedies (Thor Ragnarok) to space operas (Guardians of the Galaxy). I don't know what to expect of this one before seeing the trailer, but if you're bored by the MCU in general I don't know that you should expect anything groundbreaking to get your attention now.

But if you don't like Marvel movies I don't know whether you can expect anything drastically different from this one.
    Last edited by the_mango55; September 05, 2018 at 07:14 PM.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

thanks, seems like something to catch on nextflix then, been doing that quite a bit. i usually only catch something on the big screen if it seems worth the money and effort.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

My problem is if Nick fury had captain marvel on speed dial how come she missed infinity war? None of the Avengers knew about her and phoned in hey we are in trouble kind of call. 5 year mission w/o cell service or what. If was still in HS I ask my comic geek friend, but seems a bit odd.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    My problem is if Nick fury had captain marvel on speed dial how come she missed infinity war? None of the Avengers knew about her and phoned in hey we are in trouble kind of call. 5 year mission w/o cell service or what. If was still in HS I ask my comic geek friend, but seems a bit odd.
    The Avengers don't know about her. Only Fury does. And Fury didn't know anything about Infinity war until Maria Hill turned to dust about 30 seconds before he turned to dust himself.

I mean he knew aliens were involved in some kind of situation, but that also happened in Avengers and Thor 2 and he didn't call her in those situations either. Until the snap happened, all he knew were aliens were involved in incidents in New York and Scotland but both were seemingly turned away by the Avengers.
    Last edited by the_mango55; September 05, 2018 at 09:16 PM.
    ttt

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

*sigh*

Is this trend of superhero movies ever going to end? :/
    Ok, they look flamboyant, but imo it is way beyond overkill by now.

As a side-snipe: in the OP image the person (from that angle) looks like Dave Mustaine
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

I have no idea about MCU, whatever i know is through movies and games. So, looking forward to it.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

I mean, I’m willing to suspend my skepticism, I’m pretty sure judged on it’s own it’ll be a good film. I hope though they don’t try to make a wonderwoman rehash.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    *sigh*

Is this trend of superhero movies ever going to end? :/
    Ok, they look flamboyant, but imo it is way beyond overkill by now.

As a side-snipe: in the OP image the person (from that angle) looks like Dave Mustaine
    Holy wars...The Punishment Due was inspired by Marvel character Frank Castle The punisher So says Dave!!!???

Also Psychotron its all about Deathlok the cyborg ( another marvel character)....
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 06, 2018 at 11:21 AM.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    thanks, seems like something to catch on nextflix then, been doing that quite a bit. i usually only catch something on the big screen if it seems worth the money and effort.
    That will become a problem, as far as I know Disney has stated that they won`t extend the license of their MCU-Films for Netflix.

meh, no big loss

Citizen

So I think the trailer makes the movie look good, but as a trailer it's a little dull. Should have used a 90s song like Sabatoge, Hey Man Nice Shot, Head Like a Hole, or More Human than Human instead of just generic orchestral trailer music.

Usually the first trailer is the "teaser" trailer which doesn't tell you anything about the characters or story, and this one was a little too heavy on Nick Fury (understandable since he's the one most people would know) so I'm hoping the next trailer goes more into the Skrulls and Jude Law's character.
    Last edited by the_mango55; September 18, 2018 at 06:02 PM.
    ttt

Very generic Trailer. People are saying it gives off Green lantern Vibes. I can see why they say that.

Also Bored Larson... quite bland in the character. With bland lines... ( "I’m not who you think I am” line was awful delivered)

Jenifer Hale in that Avengers cartoons were so much better.

Still Just a Trailer. But meh.

Good to see Coulson back though.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 18, 2018 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post

So I think the trailer makes the movie look good, but as a trailer it's a little dull.
    You're missing all the personal drama...but that's on you.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

All the content looks great, in that Marvel sort of way, but the trailer itself is just absurdly boring. What happened to the marketing department of Infinity war and Iron Man 3? It's set in the 90's! Lets hear a "whats going on" remix, bring back the memes ffs, do something.

I suspect most of the backlash is the suspicion she will become Captain Mar Eezoo, though I think Feige will be aware of making her a Messianic figure.

Time lags haven't hurt either StarLord or Captain America.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Sooo excited, looking forward to it

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AprilFallFan View Post
    Sooo excited, looking forward to it
    Slightly embarrassed (because I'm a man, you know) I've got goosebumps the three times I've seen the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    Slightly embarrassed (because I'm a man, you know) I've got goosebumps the three times I've seen the trailer.
    I also had goosebumps while watching the trailer, have no idea how I will feel when I see the movie lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast