Thread: RTW get it working?

Default RTW get it working?

Was wondering Have 2 systems and have tried on both to install TRW from CD, not steam version both seem to install neither
    will start the game though, windows 10. Any thoughts

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Default Re: RTW get it working?

The reason why I reverted back to Windows 7 almost immediately, you need steam as Win 10 has changes in it which have a problem with any disc using DRM protection. You can subscribe to steam then supply your game key and afaik you will be able to play without having to purchase RTW again, I don't use steam either, but that's personal choice, I prefer my discs.
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; September 05, 2018 at 07:06 PM. Reason: typo
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

This thread should be posted in the Rome TW Technical Discussion, Support forum instead in a subforum to the RTW workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Tyre View Post
    The reason why I reverted back to Windows 7 almost immediately, you need steam as Win 10 has changes in it which have a problem with any disc using DRM protection. You can subscribe to steam then supply your game key and afaik you will be able to play without having to purchase RTW again, I don't use steam either, but that's personal choice, I prefer my discs.
    No. You don't need Steam on Windows 10 in fact what you need to do is to read this or do this.

Also, it's actually Steam that uses DRM and either SafeDisc or Securom are used for copy protection a retail disc.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    ....No. You don't need Steam on Windows 10 in fact what you need to do is to read this or do this.
    I'm sorry laddie the "cool new solutions" did not work for me(as it did not for many others) and saying "no" was a rather abrupt and impolite way to reply, do you seriously believe I would have made the statement without having tried any solutions? Frunk and others allude to the fact, that if these solutions do not work, then steam may be the only other option for many people as CA/SEGA are unlikely to address the issue by releasing a patch to resolve the problem. I chose to revert back to my Windows 7pro x64bit where I used this solution to resolve the DRM issue after a windows update>> Start search>type in CMD>r/click in menu>run as admin>type in window(with spaces) sc config secdrv start> press enter then in the 2nd line type in>sc start secdrv>press enter. This is could be a security risk I know but I have had no issues, this may not be possible for others.NB: This solution does not work on Win 10

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    Just buy Rome Anthology, the retail version, and AFAIK the SafeDisc/Securom protection is no longer present since I could play RTW without having the disc inserted into my DVD device.
    I have and was using RTW Anthology(3 disks) at the time so unless it works with a one disk version it appears this solution is not guaranteed either.
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; September 12, 2018 at 11:15 PM. Reason: additional info
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre