Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Infantry and Battle Tactics Thread

Default Re: Infantry and Battle Tactics Thread

That's why I like phalangitai. No switch necessary, put them on guard mode and they hold for incredibly long time...more than enough to give my Thracians and various cavalry to do their work on flanks.

So, when you go for rotating lines, how deep formations do you use? Four ranks, or even less?

Default Re: Infantry and Battle Tactics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    That's why I like phalangitai. No switch necessary, put them on guard mode and they hold for incredibly long time...more than enough to give my Thracians and various cavalry to do their work on flanks.

So, when you go for rotating lines, how deep formations do you use? Four ranks, or even less?
    I usally do 2 Lines when its Phalangitai or Hoplitai or any other Spearclass without ranged weapons

and support that line with hastati which get switched with fresh hastati or principes there i use bigger lines with maybe 5 ranks or 4 like you said.

the pure spear class gets rotated when avaiable with same but with them its kinda a must to wait for the refreshed line

with hastati and principe i usally have no problem with that /stuff like routing never happens cause of the impact of the imcomping fresh troops

I had a Huge Rebell battle last time where there were 2 full stacks coming to my big infantry stack that got some cavalry for support / usally to push the annoying skirmisher cav away from good positions

anyways i build a huge 2 line V with pure spearclasses with more spread to make it bigger
    behind them cohortes of hastati principe some of my slave soldiers from tribes and on the flanks in the back triari

i supported the lines were the most enemies collided and worked around slowly making the V tighter and tighter..
    heroic victory they got soacked like sponge and i didnt need a hammer

damn i love this mod anyways mate could you explain the effectivness of guard mode more to me? is it still a good way to kill enemies or is it drastic slowed down?
    i never used it much its about time to learn more to the game

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123