Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Bovine M2TW Checker

Default Re: Bovine M2TW Checker

With no further faults reported last week, I uploaded the new version. Only the one change:

Due to vanilla having a non-numeric value for the great bombard's mass, the checker crashed on most mods. It now survives and reports instead.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

btw, your finding of the wired vanilla value solved the problem of not creating the full logfiles.
    i´ve deleted them anyway, as we don´t use gunpowderweapons (besides nafatun and siphonatores)

What is the link to the newest version. In the first post I see only the link to the version from 31st August. Thanks
    Rus 2 Total War 2.01 - Unofficial English translation released
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ation-released
    Buff and Shine submod for Broken Crescent
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...tment-and-more
    My submod for Baltic Campaign - Battle for the Baltic
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...altic-Campaign

I have been updating the file there multiple times. The date on that page does not get updated when I upload a new version - I am not sure how I would make it do so.

To be clear, the version you can currently download from that page I link to is the current version made in November.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

ahh, didn´t know that too
    so i guess i used still an older version. maybe you make a comment in the download section

I'm not sure how I would state this any clearer than "I uploaded a new version". But I'll change the first post to reflect that the date stated on the file download is not correct, at least.

================
    ================

i meen the comment posts here

Ah! Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't even notice there were comments there.

================
    ================

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Just came across an omitted cross check: descr_sm_resources lists CAS models that are usually in the models_strat directory:

File "models_strat/new/resource_olive_oil.cas" is not referenced in the Strat models

descr_sm_resources entry
    Code:
    type				ivory
    trade_value			6
    item				data/models_strat/new/resource_olive_oil.CAS
    icon				data/ui/resources/resource_ivory.tga
    Are you cross checking descr_cultures already? (strat settlement buildings)

Not reading those two files yet, no.

I'll see if I can make that happen shortly. I'll be starting in a new project for paid work sometime this week. Was supposed to start up yesterday, but the client had not yet come with any specification by then (or today). So, I may be able to do so today, unless anything too horrible crops up with EB's new release in the meantime.

================
    ================

Blog Entries

It's a fairly small number of files but someone unfamiliar with a mod might delete files and then struggle with an 'out of video memory' error. Much appreciated, and good luck with the job.

Did the campaign map resources now and added verification of references to those from DS and EDB. I simply searched for one of the resources in EB2 to find those files - are there any more files referencing campaign map resources that I missed?

================
    ================

I'm not familiar with descr_cultures, and it is a bit confusing.

fishing_village data/models_strat/residences/ebstrat_eastern_fishing_village.CAS, port_roman_level_1
    port_land data/models_strat/residences/ebstrat_eastern_port_01_land.CAS, port_roman_level_2
    port_sea data/models_strat/residences/ebstrat_eastern_port_01_sea.CAS,
    port_land data/models_strat/residences/ebstrat_eastern_port_02_land.CAS, port_roman_level_3
    port_sea data/models_strat/residences/ebstrat_eastern_port_02_sea.CAS,
    port_land data/models_strat/residences/ebstrat_eastern_port_03_land.CAS, port_roman_level_4
    port_sea data/models_strat/residences/ebstrat_eastern_port_03_sea.CAS,
    watchtower data/models_strat/residences/ebstrat_eastern_watchtower.CAS, watchtower_roman
    watchtower_cost 200
    spy spy.tga spy_info.tga spy.tga 1350 1 1
    assassin assassin.tga assassin_info.tga assassin.tga 1500 1 1
    diplomat diplomat.tga diplomat_info.tga diplomat.tga 1250 1 1
    admiral admiral.tga admiral_info.tga admiral.tga 100 1 1
    merchant merchant.tga merchant_info.tga merchant.tga 1550 1 1
    priest priest.tga priest_info.tga priest.tga 1200 1 1
    I get the file reference, but what comes after the comma (port_roman_level_1 or watchtower_roman for instance) isn't to be found in any text file. I understand that it differentiates between building levels, but how is it built? Why is it allowed to be blank for the "sea" port lines?

The character file references are sensitive to faction I guess, pointing at data/ui/units/faction/filename.tga and data/ui/unit_info/faction/filename.tga? What is the third file for the characters?

================
    ================

Blog Entries

There are no other files that reference strat models that I know of. Wonders do not exist any more, so that's it.

The part after the CAS entry is an 'underlay' - it's referenced from descr_aerial_map_bases (a file I have never seen edited). See that brown patch in the middle of the port and motte in the screen shot, it's obviously not needed for the sea part of a port:

Code:
    type        settlement_roman_level_1
    filename    bases/settlements/ground_underlay_small.tga
    range        1.0   ; diameter of underlay, Gig
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 04, 2018 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    There are no other files that reference strat models that I know of. Wonders do not exist any more, so that's it.
    I was asking for further references to campaign map resources, not strat models. DS reference them when plotting down the resources, EDB can reference them as conditions. Any others?

The part after the CAS entry is an 'underlay' - it's referenced from descr_aerial_map_bases (a file I have never seen edited). See that brown patch in the middle of the port and motte in the screen shot, it's obviously not needed for the sea part of a port:

Code:
    type        settlement_roman_level_1
    filename    bases/settlements/ground_underlay_small.tga
    range        1.0   ; diameter of underlay, Gig
    Thanks! That helps a lot.

================
    ================

Blog Entries

I am probably misunderstanding you - please define 'campaign map resources'. In case you mean the entries in descr_sm_factions:

descr_strat references the hard coded names (eg type ivory) in descr_sm_resources (also referred to as 'trading resources' to differentiate from 'hidden resources'). EDB references the same hard coded names. In both cases no crosscheck is required by your tool unless you check for spelling errors in those two files. There is no possible reference in the script afaik.

The only check required is the crosscheck of the CAS models in descr_sm_resources, descr_model_strat and descr_cultures against models in the model_strat directory. You may run into a problem here: how do you crosscheck the textures of the resource and culture CAS files? They are not listed in a text file....

Example from RotK, descr_sm_resources:
    Code:
    type                cotton
    trade_value            0
    item                data/models_strat/wonders/wonder_spires.CAS
    icon                data/ui/resources/resource_cotton.tga
    This trading resource uses a custom CAS file ('wonder' emulation). The hard coded name (cotton) remains and is referenced in descr_strat. The only way to trace the texture file for the CAS file would be to read the CAS file itself (Notepad), at the bottom of it in all the gibberish the TGA name and path is listed:

While rare, it's possible that a custom CAS file has multiple textures.
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 04, 2018 at 09:02 AM.

I am probably misunderstanding you - please define 'campaign map resources'. In case you mean the entries in descr_sm_factions:
    Campaign map resources are the resources that dot the campaign map, which can be traded and used to enable certain units. They are the ones defined in descr_sm_resources, not descr_sm_factions.

descr_strat references the hard coded names (eg type ivory) in descr_sm_resources (also referred to as 'trading resources' to differentiate from 'hidden resources'). EDB references the same hard coded names. In both cases no crosscheck is required by your tool unless you check for spelling errors in those two files. There is no possible reference in the script afaik.
    Thanks, got both then. Yes, I check for spelling errors - any reference to a resource that does not exist.

how do you crosscheck the textures of the resource and culture CAS files? They are not listed in a text file....

Example from RotK, descr_sm_resources:
    Code:
    type                cotton
    trade_value            0
    item                data/models_strat/wonders/wonder_spires.CAS
    icon                data/ui/resources/resource_cotton.tga
    This trading resource uses a custom CAS file ('wonder' emulation). The hard coded name (cotton) remains and is referenced in descr_strat. The only way to trace the texture file for the CAS file would be to read the CAS file itself (Notepad), at the bottom of it in all the gibberish the TGA name and path is listed:

While rare, it's possible that a custom CAS file has multiple textures.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I recall reading CAS files to find texture references for siege engines. Possibly that bit can be reused.

================
    ================

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bovi View Post
    Campaign map resources are the resources that dot the campaign map, which can be traded and used to enable certain units. They are the ones defined in descr_sm_resources, not descr_sm_factions
    Ah yes, my bad - got muddled up there, obviously descr_sm_resources, there are no resource references in descr_sm_factions.

Edit: just came across some false positives:

1758: (Entry pope) Reference "models_strat/textures/mtw2_catholic_pope.tga" does not exist.
    1770: (Entry heretic) Reference "models_strat/textures/heretic_christian_rebels.tga" does not exist.
    1782: (Entry witch) Reference "models_strat/textures/witch.tga" does not exist.
    1794: (Entry inquisitor) Reference "models_strat/textures/inquisator_papal_states.tga" does not exist.

These textures exist in vanilla only in TGA.DDS format and are used by the game, in the descr_model_strat file however they only have the TGA extension - needs to be added to the vanilla file list:

models_strat/textures/mtw2_catholic_pope.tga
    models_strat/textures/heretic_christian_rebels.tga
    models_strat/textures/witch.tga
    models_strat/textures/inquisator_papal_states.tga

Also had some battlemodels flagged as surplus but they are in the script via the 'change_battle_model' command:

Battle model "han_leader" is never used by EDU entries, strat characters or scripted characters.
    Battle model "syleader" is never used by EDU entries, strat characters or scripted characters.
    Battle model "liao_shushanjun" is never used by EDU entries, strat characters or scripted characters.
    Code:
        monitor_conditions I_TurnNumber = 0
            change_battle_model byzantium leader han_leader
            change_battle_model emirs leader liao_shushanjun
            change_battle_model saxons leader SYleader
            terminate_monitor
        end_monitor
    These entries in descr_model_strat have to be present but are never used (no idea why, at bottom of RotK file):

Strat model "diplomat" is never used by strat characters.
    Strat model "spy" is never used by strat characters.
    Strat model "assassin" is never used by strat characters.
    Strat model "princess" is never used by strat characters.
    Strat model "merchant" is never used by strat characters.
    Strat model "priest" is never used by strat characters.
    Strat model "bishop" is never used by strat characters.
    Strat model "cardinal" is never used by strat characters.
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 05, 2018 at 08:03 AM.

Thanks, I'll try to get around to this soon.

================
    ================

i can second that, found the same with the princess, bishops a.s.o.
    in tgc, we don´t use this types of agents, but they are still present in the (vanilla) files of our mod

we also use a script to change battlemodels, which where shown as not used in the log