Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Bovine M2TW Checker

Default Re: Bovine M2TW Checker

Indeed there are tons of things that can be added to the tool. I always prioritize known bugs in it (whether that knowledge comes from people posting here or myself spotting weirdness as I go along), but when everything that already exists seems to be fine, I sort of tinker away at it and add whatever I feel like tackling at the moment, which may and may not yield any particular benefit. When there is a specific need such as the one you're voicing, I'm happy to tackle that earlier than the mass of potential.

Plugins really sound pretty useful from that snippet. Makes me wonder why I've not seen much use of it.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

If the nameless character spawn is not a known bug then I'll make more tests and open a thread in the workshop, to be sure ! Anyway I'm really enjoying your tool, even if it gibe me so much work !

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

I think you misunderstood. I prioritize work on known bugs in my tool, not known bugs in the game. Bugs in the tool occur quite often, as I touch on quite a few game mechanics I'm not very familiar with and make false assumptions. This discussion thread is vital for the precision of the tool. That said, spawning a character with a name not defined for the faction is certainly a fault in the mod rather than the game itself!

Once I've read the defined names, I'm pretty sure the assigned names of characters in descr_strat.txt should also be checked against it, along with the scripted spawns. I don't know any other places referencing names, so please let me know if there are more.

Edit: Took a brief look and it seems to me descr_names_lookup.txt contains all of the names as well, just not categorized like they are in descr_names.txt. Are they required to be present in both of them?

Additionally, I searched for a random name in SSHIP ("Poszony") and found it repeated in quite a few files:

descr_names.txt (obviously, as this is where I found it)
    descr_names_lookup.txt
    campaign/translation/english/names.txt
    campaign/translation/german/names.txt
    campaign/translation/spanish/names.txt
    text/names.txt

Seems there's quite a few files to read for this one.

--------------

About the tool giving a lot of work, it isn't really, it's merely pointing out work that was there already and undiscovered, so it's a tool for eliminating existing bugs and giving confidence that future development doesn't introduce more. But I agree, there is absolutely a ton of work these automatic tests can discover! For EB2 there remains many thousands of reports, and everything will certainly not be fixed any time soon.
    Last edited by bovi; February 16, 2021 at 12:36 AM.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

You're right, I did misunderstood what you said about bugs! So I'll stick for now to reporting false positives or bugs from your tool. And I really like that it's giving so much to work on , as you said it's pointing to stuff we didn't see before and that's a good thing!

About the names, from what I understood:
    - descr_names_lookup gives the full list of engine names
    - descr_names links factions and internal names, also categorize them as first name, surname, etc...
    - text/names.txt links internal name and displayed name

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

descr_names_lookup, like all the other 'lookup' files is redundant in M2TW, it's only required in RTW.

The only place where a character names will be listed is in data\descr_names (factional allocation of 'data' names) and text\names (the usual data-->display listing).

Thanks for correcting me, so we could delete the "lookup" files from any mod and it would still work, without the game loading a vanilla file instead?

Blog Entries

Correct - it's one of the first things I do when working on a third party mod. Those files simply don't get referenced anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Belovèse View Post
    So I'll stick for now to reporting false positives or bugs from your tool.
    This is not 100% the opposite of what I meant, but close to the opposite nonetheless. I apologize for being unclear, I'll try to do better here.

* I welcome requests for checks that you know will help you with your mod. The one you recently did about the names of spawning characters is one of these, and it is welcome indeed.

* I welcome reports of bugs in the tool. Fixing these is crucial for the tool to be useful, as if there are a bunch of false reports, the true reports are harder to find and correct.

Do not limit yourself to one kind or another of feedback about the tool. Every improvement will benefit everyone, whether they are affected by the issue at hand or will merely have a confirmation that it's fine.

-----------

As a bit of general information, my priorities for working on this tool are:

1. Known bugs in the tool (whether they affect EB2 or not)
    2. Checks that prove themselves necessary for the development of EB2
    3. Checks that are requested for other mods
    4. Whatever I feel like doing at the moment

Taking care of the kids and paid assignments obviously demands priority over anything in this tool. The occasional spurt of fixing critical stuff in EB2 does too. I cannot promise any timeframe for delivering anything, but as long as I'm not gasping for air I tend to tinker with it every so often.

all the 'lookup' files is redundant in M2TW, it's only required in RTW
    I see. Thanks for this tidbit, then I can safely skip reading that file. In fact, I could make a check to report if those files ARE present to make it clear they don't have to be.

================
    ================

Thanks for all the clarifications, and sorry for my short and unprecise answers! It is clear for me now, I'll continue reporting findings and ideas, and thanks again for the time you spare for this very useful tool.
    Last edited by Belovèse; February 18, 2021 at 04:03 PM.

I've started reading the names. As part of that, I also made the test for lookup files being present. It now reports these:

data/descr_names_lookup.txt
    data/descr_quotes_lookup.txt
    data/descr_religions_lookup.txt
    imperial_campaign/descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt

If any of these are actually used by the game after all, or there are more such files I've forgotten, let me know.

================
    ================

Blog Entries

A few more

descr_climates_lookup
    descr_quotes_lookup
    message_text_lookup
    historic_battles_subtitles_lookup
    factionintrosubtitles_lookup
    shortcuts_lookup
    prebattle_speeches_subtitles_lookup
    battle_event_subtitles_lookup

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    A few more

descr_climates_lookup
    descr_quotes_lookup
    message_text_lookup
    historic_battles_subtitles_lookup
    factionintrosubtitles_lookup
    shortcuts_lookup
    prebattle_speeches_subtitles_lookup
    battle_event_subtitles_lookup
    Found the corresponding climates file witohut the lookup under data, and the quotes file was already accounted for. Which folders would the rest be in, if present?

================
    ================

Blog Entries

All 'lookup' files are in the data folder.

Except imperial_campaign/descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt then, I gather. Thanks.

================
    ================

Blog Entries

Ah yes, that one. I had looked in the packed files, that one is unpacked by default, hence I erroneously omitted it.

Uploaded a new version. Note that name references in descr_strat.txt (or any other places which might reference names!) are not checked yet, only those in scripts.

Now reading descr_names.txt, text/names.txt.
    Reading Scripts are now done as part of reading all game files, instead of as processing code for some bits, and pulled into own reader class.
    Expanded reading of script to include name and label references. Label references are yet to be checked.
    Split TraitsAncillariesScript into TraitsAncillaries and Script. Script processing is now in Kotlin.
    ScriptReader's loadScript method was way too long. Now split into parts: findTraitReferences, findCounterReferences, findBuildingReferences, findUnitReferences and the new findNamesAndLabels. Small bits remain in the overall method.
    Storage of data read in code files moved from processing class to data class.
    Date for historic event counters were forgotten to be checked in some tests. They are now stored as a SET LOCATION like any other place they get set rather than as a special attribute. Fixed historic event references in descr_events.txt always being stored as new event counters, now they correctly get stored with other references to the same event if they have already been encountered elsewhere.
    Declared counters' usage is now tracked in the same way as event counters. Tests on them considerably rewritten.
    Plugins for buildings in descr_strat.txt are now parsed. They are further ignored for now, a check should be made at some point to ensure these plugins and levels exist.
    Export_descr_advice now read as part of reading all game files, instead of a preparation step before running tests on code. Advice threads tracking now matches most other references.
    Reading of EDA pulled from processing class to reader class. Ancillary descriptions moved here from TraitReader.
    Usage of event counters in EDA is now recognized.
    A few minor classes converted to Kotlin.

Added checks:
    Lookup files are not present.
    All music files are in use.
    Factions use each given name only once for each name type.
    All name codes have a display name defined for all translations.
    All display names for all translations are in use in at least one faction.
    Edit: Forgot the logs from the previous commit which was not released as a new version. Amended now.
    Last edited by bovi; February 19, 2021 at 01:44 AM.

================
    ================

Hello bovi, thanks for the update and for implementing this function!
    I think there might be a bug in your new name checks though. I have a few of these entries:
    Code:
    CS 57949: Faction first name reference to jerusalem's name isabel, which is not defined for that faction.
    but in that line in campaign_script the faction defined for that character is spain:
    Code:
    spawn_character spain Isabel, princess, age 19, x 14, y 155
    Hope this helps!

EDIT: found another small thing: I had this report, but there is in fact three triggers with the same name in our file.
    Code:
    There are 2 triggers called "absentminded_add_1".
    Last edited by Belovèse; February 19, 2021 at 02:28 PM.

Blog Entries

Multiple entries of the same name in descr_names for one faction is usually done on purpose. It assures that that name will be used more often then the others, eg John. Not sure if that particular check is useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Belovèse View Post
    but in that line in campaign_script the faction defined for that character is spain:
    Code:
    spawn_character spain Isabel, princess, age 19, x 14, y 155
    Hope this helps!

EDIT: found another small thing: I had this report, but there is in fact three triggers with the same name in our file.
    Code:
    There are 2 triggers called "absentminded_add_1".
    About the first one, you are correct. When coding reading the "character" spawns as part of armies, I had to find the faction (and possibly subfaction) entered above, so I stored this as a current faction assignment and used that when encountering them. I did the same thing upon the "spawn_character", but that defines the faction on the same line instead. I'll fix.

Edit: I think I fixed it now, but will do some more changes before putting out a new version. For the version I've got of your mod, this is the only remaining report:

CS 51615: Faction first name reference to venice's name isabel, which is not defined for that faction.

--------

About the second one, I'll have to investigate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Multiple entries of the same name in descr_names for one faction is usually done on purpose. It assures that that name will be used more often then the others, eg John. Not sure if that particular check is useful.
    I see. Will remove that check.
    Last edited by bovi; February 20, 2021 at 12:25 AM.

================
    ================

Honestly about the trigger name being duplicated more than 2 times: it is really a small detail, worst case scenario the third occurrence is not spotted the first time and it will just show again in the next check.