Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 21718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Bovine M2TW Checker

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bovine M2TW Checker

Not sure how I missed that the upload was 800KB instead of the usual 5MB

descr_missions.txt 346: Unrecognized mission parameter factions
    I have now added parsing of this, and a check that the factions exist. There MUST be curly brackets around the factions for the checker to recognize them - let me know if that is not required by the game.

descr_missions.txt 357: Unrecognized mission parameter exclude_sea_travel
    I have now added this to ignored mission parameters.

descr_strat.txt 887: Parsing error - Unrecognized directive on line: script
    descr_strat.txt 888: Parsing error - Unrecognized directive on line: campaign_script.txt
    The checker assumes that there are general campaign setup directives at the top of descr_strat, and then more structured bits starting with resource, ending up with a (tiny) section for scripts starting with script. As there are no resources in NM's case, the general campaign setup "never finished" and it did not recognize the start of structured data, so it never even looked for that script marker. I suppose I'll have to recognize other kinds of signals that general campaign setup has concluded. In NM's case, that would be faction, and I believe those would necessarily have to be present for any mod, so that should be enough. Until someone proves me wrong...

Unrecognized token in EDCT 18161: settlementislocal. Typo in EDCT or fault in the checker?
    Added to ignored conditions. But... why would one ever conquer a "local" settlement? Doesn't that mean you already own the settlement?

Not yet released.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

A quick test shows that the descr_strat reading fix was not sufficient. It now believes there is an active faction specification being read, need to investigate more on that.

Edit: I took a quick and dirty fix by ignoring anything in the file coming after a line starting with "script". That is, it was already being ignored (I have hardcoded reading campaign_script.txt rather than do it once finding it here), but now it will not consider whether any section is open before recognizing that "ending" of the file.

I noticed these oddities:
    descr_model_strat.txt 650: indian_general's texture line refers to non-existent faction "slavemodels_strat/textures/indian_general_rebels.tga".
    descr_model_strat.txt 660: indian_chief's texture line refers to non-existent faction "slavemodels_strat/textures/indian_chief_rebels.tga".

These are because there is no space after the comma for the slave texture:

texture chichimeca, models_strat/textures/indian_general_chichimeca.tga
    texture apachean, models_strat/textures/indian_general_apachean.tga
    texture slave,models_strat/textures/indian_general_rebels.tga
    I take it this is valid syntax?
    Last edited by bovi; August 29, 2022 at 01:42 AM.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Blog Entries

Added to ignored conditions. But... why would one ever conquer a "local" settlement? Doesn't that mean you already own the settlement?
    That is a redundant condition when it comes to conquering, but you can cook up some condition sets where the condition would indeed make sense - like testing a particular settlement only if it belongs to another faction, eg whatever a settlement event allows.

texture slave,models_strat/textures/indian_general_rebels.tga
    That is incorrect syntax, but I suppose the game can handle it - like so much other stuff (trailing commas, missing commas as Geomod shows so nicely )

Unrecognized directive
    All that you need in descr_strat for the game to run are the top section (before resources), two factions and only the non slave one needs a single named character, one settlement per non slave faction (their capital), nothing else. Missing settlements get generated as slave settlements at minimum level (400 pop, no buildings), faction standings are not required, nor is faction stance, see my custom cmapaigns in BG for the latter.
    The two script lines at the bottom are technically optional as well, that is if you do not intend to use a campaign script.
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 30, 2022 at 11:09 PM.

Uploaded a new version.

Quote Originally Posted by change log
    New feature: Missions for specific factions are now recognized, and faction names in them are checked for existence.
    Fixes:
    StratMapReader (for descr_model_strat) can now handle texture assignments missing a space after the comma separating the faction name and the texture file.
    DescrStratReader now recognizes "faction" as well as "resource" to determine when the general campaign setup has concluded, in case there are no resources.
    TraitReader now recognizes (but ignores) "SettlementIsLocal" conditions.

================
    ================

Is it just me or does your checker not like how IWTE formats the bmdb?

After converting bmdb -> csv -> bmdb with IWTE, the checker fails to parse the file, resulting in a tooooooon of errors.
    Would be nice if that combination would work because I know quite a few people use that format now.

Thanks for the great tool!

Blog Entries

Provide a file for bovi to check. I would be curious as well.

Here, hope this helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries

IWTE puts a lot of double spaces and splits the 'torch' sequence' as well as longer zero lines at the top, guess that's the issue. My suggestion to bovi: stop checking for multiple, trailing spaces - the game ignores it. Other then that it's the intial sequence as well as the two unit closing sequences ('torches')

Last edited by Gigantus; September 01, 2022 at 11:25 PM.

Good guesses, but unfortunately not correct. It's going wrong already on getting the name of the first model, by reading this 1085 as the length of the name, and then all of the blue stuff as the actual name. It then of course expects an integer to be the next segment and tosses in the towel when it turns out to be a sprite filename instead.

22 serialization::archive 3 0 0 0 0
    0 0
    10 mount_pony
    0 0
    0 0
    52 unit_models/mounts/medium_horse/mount_pony_lod0.mesh 121
    52 unit_models/mounts/medium_horse/mount_pony_lod1.mesh 1225
    52 unit_models/mounts/medium_horse/mount_pony_lod2.mesh 10000
    0 0
    0 0
    7 england
    69 unit_models/mounts/medium_horse/textures/medium_horse_england.texture
    68 unit_models/mounts/medium_horse/textures/medium_horse_normal.texture
    42 unit_sprites/england_mount_pony_sprite.spr
    8 scotland
    70 unit_models/mounts/medium_horse/textures/medium_horse_scotland.texture
    43 unit_sprites/scotland_mount_pony_sprite.spr
    6 france
    68 unit_models/mounts/medium_horse/textures/medium_horse_france.texture
    41 unit_sprites/france_mount_pony_sprite.spr
    3 hre
    65 unit_models/mounts/medium_horse/textures/medium_horse_hre.texture
    38 unit_sprites/hre_mount_pony_sprite.spr
    7 denmark
    69 unit_models/mounts/medium_horse/textures/medium_horse_denmark.texture
    unit_sprites/denmark_mount_pony_sprite.spr
    I'll need to investigate more to see where this is going wrong.

================
    ================

Blog Entries

It also doesn't use the 'blank' line - see from BG:
    Code:
    22 serialization::archive 3 0 0 0 0 676 0 0 
    5 blank 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 
    10 mount_pony 
    1 3 
    52 unit_models/Mounts/Medium_Horse/mount_pony_lod0.mesh 121 
    52 unit_models/Mounts/Medium_Horse/mount_pony_lod1.mesh 1225 
    52 unit_models/Mounts/Medium_Horse/mount_pony_lod2.mesh 10000 
    7 england
    EBII uses this format:
    Code:
    22 serialization::archive 3 0 0 0 0 656 0 0 
    10 mount_pony 
    1.12 0 0 3 0 0 
    58 unit_models/Mounts/horses/horse_small_unarmoured_lod0.mesh 500 
    58 unit_models/Mounts/horses/horse_small_unarmoured_lod0.mesh 1200 
    58 unit_models/Mounts/horses/horse_small_unarmoured_lod0.mesh 6400 
    0 0 31 0 0 
    7 f_aedui

I see the main problem now, I think. In one particular instance the checker still cares about line breaks: the very first line. It reads and discards all the 10 tokens on that "header line" except the 8th, which it expects to be the number of entries. In Potato's model DB, there are only seven of those before the first line break, so it believes there are no such entry counter, defaults to 0 and proceeds to interpret what is actually the entry count as the number of characters in the name of the first entry.

I'll have to see if there are other locations in the model DB it gets confounded by.

================
    ================

Nope, that was basically the problem. There are of course a zillion issues reported because I plonked that model DB into Novus Mundus and nothing matches the other files, but it successfully reads it and can check its contents.

I got thrown a bit when I saw reports for "null". Turns out there are model entries called "null", "null1", "null2", "null3" and "null4" in there, so it's not a programming error. I'm not sure why they would be called that though.

Uploaded a new version with the fix:

Quote Originally Posted by changelog
    The Model DB reader now copes when the header is not a single line exactly 10 tokens long. It will now instead read the first 10 tokens as header, regardless if there are line breaks in there.
    Fixed a copy pasta saying it fails to find the "culture" definition file when descr_missions.txt is not present. It is of course the missions definition file instead.

================
    ================

Small feedback: in edb the checker reports if a recruit line has an event counter condition tested for something else than 0 or 1 as an error. But it also works with values greater than one.

EDIT: removed the faulty "=" in the code line below

In SSHIP we have these kind of conditions and I just tested them, they work as intended:
    Code:
     and event_counter leap_year_counter 3
    Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Belovèse; September 06, 2022 at 06:26 AM.
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

Blog Entries

You are getting a 'true' return with the above EDB entry? Never mind the equal sign which isn't the original format in EDB. The entry looks more like a script entry because of it.

Lemme check in BG.

Edit: nope, added this to roads 'and event_counter build_road = 3' and still could build roads in Thessalonica (byzantium). Changing it to 'and event_counter build_road 3' however disabled the road building.

Adding this line 'set_event_counter build_road 3' to the script re-enabled building again.

So yeah, other values are accepted - just not with a token, eg the equal sign.

There is however an oddity - when using zero the building will always be available, regardless of the actual value of the event counter. Using 'not' and 'zero' disables building regardless of counter value (tested with and without script part in both instances). In other words: 'zero' will always return 'true' regardless of counter value. That's certainly worthwhile flagging.
    Last edited by Gigantus; September 05, 2022 at 10:05 PM.

Belovese did similar tests in SSHIP a year ago, with the opposite result.

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1#post16044125

About the 0 value, I recall we saw the same unintuitive behaviour earlier. The checker therefore demands precisely "1" as the event counter value in EDB checks, and I believe that is still correct.

Adding this line 'set_event_counter build_road 3' to the script re-enabled building again.
    Did you try to set the event counter to 1, 2 or 4? I believe you would see the same result as if you set it to 3.
    Last edited by bovi; September 06, 2022 at 01:35 AM.

================
    ================

Guys, sorry, I wrote from my phone and forgot that we don't use equal signs in edb. The correct syntax was of course "leap_year_counter 3".

I did not test with other values, but this counter cycle between 1 and 4, ticking every turn. It work as intended, the counter going to 4 did disable the recruitment.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

@Belo, you might be not precise here. This counter does not dictate recruitment, it only adds to recruitment pools:
    Code:
        ;--- AI support (Byzantium city barracks) ---------------------------------------------------- (UNfWE)
            ; so that it fields better quality armies (goal: to provide the player with better experience: stronger AI armies)
            ; added 1 time every 4 turns (leap_year_counter 3) so that the can be recruited in one moment thus creating stronger armies
            ; delayed (zero initial, leap year 3) because Byzantium is strong at the beginning

;......... base value
            recruit_pool    "Scoutatoi"                0   0.001    2  0  requires factions { byzantium, } and not event_counter is_the_player 1
            recruit_pool    "Scoutatoi Swordsmen"    0   0.001    2  0  requires factions { byzantium, } and not event_counter is_the_player 1

;......... if Byzantium has fewer than 20 settlements
            recruit_pool    "Scoutatoi"                0   0.124    0  0  requires factions { byzantium, } and not event_counter is_the_player 1  and not event_counter faction_size_huge 1 and event_counter leap_year_counter 3
            recruit_pool    "Scoutatoi Swordsmen"    0   0.124    0  0  requires factions { byzantium, } and not event_counter is_the_player 1  and not event_counter faction_size_huge 1 and event_counter leap_year_counter 3

;......... mobilization of citizens if the AI is in trouble
            recruit_pool    "Scoutatoi Swordsmen"    0   0.375    0  0  requires factions { byzantium, } and event_counter is_the_player 1  and not event_counter faction_size_small 1 and event_counter leap_year_counter 3
            recruit_pool    "Scoutatoi"                0   0.375    0  0  requires factions { byzantium, } and event_counter is_the_player 1  and not event_counter faction_size_small 1 and event_counter leap_year_counter 3
    the counter goes 1,2,3,4
    Code:
    	; LEAP YEAR COUNTER	; increses 1,2,3,4 and then again. Name is misleading - it changes every 2 years.
    	; Used in EDB for AI support: increase in something only every 4 turns.
    	; Used extensively in script ;------- Capture of Settlements.

set_event_counter leap_year_counter 1

inc_event_counter leap_year_counter 1

if I_EventCounter leap_year_counter > 4
    		    set_event_counter leap_year_counter 1
    		end_if
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; September 06, 2022 at 05:33 AM.

@bovi, I remember those tests from a year ago, I'll have to do more test to confirm and understand exactly what is working or not here. Is it different for recruit_pool than other edb lines ? Was my previous test failing because of the order of the conditions, because it was using free_upkeep?

@jurand you're right my post was quick an not precise, however I used a different line in EDB I made to test the logic while playing as venice:
    Code:
    recruit_pool    "Urban MIlitia"                0   0.001    2  0  requires factions { byzantium, } and event_counter leap_year_counter 3

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bovi View Post
    Did you try to set the event counter to 1, 2 or 4? I believe you would see the same result as if you set it to 3.
    Counter in EDB is 3

Setting in script:
    1 - disabled
    2 - still disabled
    3 - enabled
    4 - enabled
    -----
    Counter in EDB is 2

Setting in script:
    1 - disabled
    2 - enabled
    3 - still enabled
    -----
    Counter in EDB is 1

Setting in script:
    1 - enabled
    2 - still enabled

If would seem the game uses the equivalent of the >= token when evaluating the EDB event counter.

Note: I am running the disk version, haven't got the Steam version installed yet.
    Last edited by Gigantus; September 06, 2022 at 10:27 PM.