Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Bovine M2TW Checker

Default Re: Bovine M2TW Checker

This error message:

NullPointerException
    at processing.Script.namesAndLabels(Script.kt:209)
    at processing.Script.checkAll(Script.kt:22)
    (...)

Pertains to these lines in the code, specifically the first one of the two:
    Code:
    if(nameTokens.size > 1 && !main.data.strat.names[faction]!!.characterSurnames.contains(nameTokens[1]))
        main.writeScriptLog("${character.filename} ${character.lineNumber}: Surname ${nameTokens[1]} is not defined in surnames for its faction $faction.")
    I have two guesses at what's wrong, where I think the second one is more probable as it only requires a typo rather than a failure that should have caused all manner of problems for your mod.

1. You have no names defined for one of your factions - causing the storage of that faction's names to be blank. The code assumes there are names for ALL defined factions, and I find it likely that you do have that.

2. The faction variable it's using to access the storage of names is taken from the owner of a character in the script. Possibly you have got a character with a typo in his/her owner faction? As an example of a character definition, here is a spawned character in EB2.

Code:
                    spawn_army
                        faction f_seleukid
                        character    Polyxenidos Baktrianos, named character, age 37, x 409, y 197, label sel_exped1, direction NE
                        traits   CommandExperience 3 , GoodAttacker 1, LoyaltyLevel 5, SeleukidHeterogenes 1, HaleAndHearty 2
                        unit        hellenistic cavalry general bodyguard    exp 4 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit        eastern cavalry mada asabara            exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit        eastern cavalry mada asabara            exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit        eastern cavalry harauvatish asabara        exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit        eastern cavalry harauvatish asabara        exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit        hellenistic infantry phalangitai        exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit        hellenistic infantry phalangitai mercenary        exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit        hellenistic infantry pantodapoi phalangitai        exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit        hellenistic infantry pantodapoi phalangitai        exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit        eastern infantry babylonian                exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit        eastern infantry babylonian                exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit        eastern infantry kavakaza kofyaren        exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit        eastern infantry kavakaza kofyaren        exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit        eastern infantry nizagan eranshahr        exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit        eastern infantry nizagan eranshahr        exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit        eastern infantry slinger                exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    end
    Edit: I have now made a change that should allow it to survive a typo in the faction. It should then result in output somewhat like this:

campaign_script.txt 899: Character of faction factionWithTypo cannot have name checked, cannot find any names defined for that faction! Wrong faction?
    Last edited by bovi; July 27, 2022 at 04:14 AM.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

By the way, as others pointed to a variety of other locations, you can typically get a general idea of where the problem lies from the error message that is printed out.

In this case, "at processing.Script.namesAndLabels(Script.kt:209)" says it pertains to checks performed on scripts, when checking names and labels.

You can also see the exact line of code that it's happening in, and while it can certainly be daunting to venture into program code and hard to know just what is happening there, it can give further clues. The flow here (large portions snipped out!) basically says "Your problem is with a scripted character's faction when trying to check its surname".

Code:
      for(character :MapCharacter in main.data.code.scriptedCharacters)
      {
        var faction = character.ownerFaction
        if(nameTokens.size > 1 && !main.data.strat.names[faction]!!.characterSurnames.contains(nameTokens[1]))
          main.writeScriptLog("${character.filename} ${character.lineNumber}: Surname ${nameTokens[1]} is not defined in surnames for its faction $faction.")
      }
    The source code is included in the download for the checker.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Thanks a lot for you very detailled and informative anwser, bovi.

Unfortunately I have applied all your and Gig's suggestions and I still fail to run your checker with the Insularis Draco mod.

Did you per chance already update the download link for you tool with the new code?
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

No, I have not uploaded a new version yet, only made the change locally on my computer.

I downloaded your mod (conveniently updated yesterday!) and found these reports:

CS 17163: Character has owner faction slave, which does not exist.
    CS 17163: Character has unrecognized type priest for faction slave,.
    (Many similar ones between...)
    CS 17330: Character has owner faction england, which does not exist.
    CS 17330: Character has unrecognized type witch for faction england,.
    CS 17337: Character has owner faction hre, which does not exist.
    CS 17337: Character has unrecognized type heretic for faction hre,.
    One example of this is:
    spawn_character slave, Padraig, priest, age 57, x 138, y 260

The checker expects the faction in this command to not have a comma. This is the way Stainless Steel uses the command, such as:
    spawn_character mongols random_name, priest, age 23, x 480, y 140

I am not sure whether the game will be fine both with and without the comma? Can you confirm that you have successfully created agents with these commands?

Edit: There are also parsing errors for rogue commas in descr_strat.txt on some relatives:

descr_strat.txt 9890: Parsing error - Unrecognized directive on line: relative, childebert, ludwiga, sigibert, chararic, irmingarda, end
    descr_strat.txt 9892: Parsing error - Unrecognized directive on line: relative, sigibert, herlinda, chloderic, end
    descr_strat.txt 9894: Parsing error - Unrecognized directive on line: relative, chararic, ethelmoda, hariulfus, end
    descr_strat.txt 10679: Parsing error - Unrecognized directive on line: relative, chlodio, argotta, merovech, warnachar end
    descr_strat.txt 10681: Parsing error - Unrecognized directive on line: relative, merovech, aurinia, childeric, adelgund, brunhild, end
    descr_strat.txt 10683: Parsing error - Unrecognized directive on line: relative, warnachar, gisela, ragnachar, rikehari, rignomari, end

I am more confident that these are plain errors on your side, as you are using relative clauses without those commas elsewhere in your file. Contrast:

Line 9374: relative Vortigern, Seren, Vortimer, Cadeyrn, Pasgen, Brydw, end
    Line 9890: relative, Childebert, Ludwiga, Sigibert, Chararic, Irmingarda, end
    Last edited by bovi; August 01, 2022 at 12:27 AM.

================
    ================

Uploaded a new version which successfully runs for your mod on my computer. Apologies to Gigantus for skipping entirely over his reports for now.

Only small changes this time:
    Merged valid trait EFFECTS with valid character ATTRIBUTES, as those turn out to be the same thing.
    Now survives checking character names if the owner faction's names is not found.
    Now recognizes AdviseBuild conditions in EDCT as referencing a building.
    Now recognizes (but ignores) I_BattleSettlementFortificationLevel and InUncivilisedLands conditions in EDCT.
    Last edited by bovi; August 01, 2022 at 12:43 AM.

================
    ================

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

'relative' without comma is the vanilla default:
    Code:
    ;spain
    relative     Alfonso el Valiente,    Constance,    Rodrigo,    Urraca,    Teresa,    end
    ;venice
    relative     Domenico Selvo,    Helena,    Bartolomeo Selvo,    Cristiano Selvo,    Alessandro Selvo,    end
    relative     Bartolomeo Selvo,    Magdalena,    Benasuto Selvo,    Gerardo Selvo,    end
    relative     Cristiano Selvo,    Pencina,    Antonio Selvo,    end
    relative     Alessandro Selvo,    Alegreza,    Barbus Selvo,    end
    'spawn_character' without the comma at the beginning is the vanilla default
    Code:
    ;americas campaign
    spawn_character england random_name, priest, age 27, x 189, y 6
    Basically commas are only between the 'data segments', not after the 'command'
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 01, 2022 at 10:11 PM.

Thanks a lot bovi and gig, I only joined the mod a few days ago and it's a small team so there's a lot of stuff to do!

I'll test the spawning character commands and report back here, I'll also check the family trees with faulty relative commands.

EDIT: the spawn_character indeed doesn't work with the wrongly placed comma
    Last edited by Belovèse; August 03, 2022 at 05:16 AM.
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

Thank you so much for updating your tool to work with Insularis Draco Bovi. Ran the check successfully with no error message in command prompt or blank output log.

Quote Originally Posted by Belovèse View Post
    EDIT: the spawn_character indeed doesn't work with the wrongly placed comma
    Thanks for coming back with this. Then the checker is doing the right thing by reporting this as a fault .

Quote Originally Posted by diealot
    Thank you so much for updating your tool to work with Insularis Draco Bovi.
    No worries! It grows with the needs of the community. When there's a new way of doing things (or screwing things up), it needs modifications to cope, this is not the first and not the last time.

================
    ================

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    And now I am at my 'Novus Mundus' pet project
    I only found a download from early 2021 for that. It is highly unlikely that it's the same set of files as what you're working on now. Still, I believe I fixed the bug you are encountering in the checker.

----------

As an aside, I also found another fault in the checker that prevented running it. Because your model DB for Novus Mundus (at least at the time) is condensed into a single line rather than separated into lines, my reading code failed to STOP reading when reaching the end of the file - it expected the last character in the file to be a line break and this spun infinitely on the end-of-file marker. I'll note that even though a single line is perfectly valid syntax (and the checker no longer cares if there isn't any line breaks), it is an absolute nightmare to read for humans!

----------

When I made the checker recognize the end of file, it runs successfully and sheds some light on the music error:

Music states for type eastern_european not found among music types (these are southern_european, nativeindian, middle_eastern, northern_european, mesoamerican). Probably a typo?
    My guess is that you forgot to snip out some parts while excising eastern_european from your mod? To be clear, the list of music types is read from descr_sounds_music.txt, in lines on the form:

music_type southern_european, northern_european

The reference to the music type here is read from world/maps/base/descr_sounds_music_types.txt (I had completely forgotten that this file even existed!), defining which music type each faction uses:

factions england france hre scotland denmark normans saxons
    music_type eastern_european
    Last edited by bovi; August 09, 2022 at 03:55 PM.

================
    ================

Uploaded a new version that runs successfully on Novus Mundus as of early 2021, possibly not the current state of the mod.

Mostly technical changes:
    Now survives reading the model DB even if it has no line breaks.
    Now survives if there are references in descr_sounds_music_types.txt to music types that don't exist, instead reporting the fault.

================
    ================

Blog Entries

Thanks for the effort - will come back on it.

The NM project is a bit changed - I am now approaching it from the 'full install' angle instead of the 'copy\paste the original campaign' approach. ModelDB is properly formatted now. 'EE' is still in descr_sounds_music_type and I'll have to follow up on that one.

I just migrated to a new computer and it took me a while to realize that I needed to install java....

The checker runs fine now on NM on a quick glance - one thing that came into my eye were descr_mission errors, apparently the kingdoms\americas version has some lines that aren't taken care of in the checker, it's a default entry:
    descr_missions.txt 346: Unrecognized mission parameter factions
    descr_missions.txt 357: Unrecognized mission parameter exclude_sea_travel
    Code:
    mission    council_take_rebel_settlement elders_take_rebel_settlement
    {
        ELDER_COUNCIL_MISSION
        duration 15
        exclude_duration 20
        score_modifier 1.5
        max_score            300.0    ; max score clamp
        factions                 { aztecs, mayans, tlaxcalans, tarascans, apachean, chichimeca, }
       paybacks
        {
        random 0.5    payback_id council_major_income
                payback_id council_major_unit
        }

lower_diff_threshold    0.0    ; threshold on sent faction strength/ settlement strength for difficulty = 0.0
        upper_diff_threshold    1.0    ; threshold on sent faction strength/ settlement strength for difficulty = 1.0
        ratio_modifier        50.0    ; modifies score (+) by ratio * modifier
        no_garrison_modifier    50.0    ; modifies score (+) by modifier if garrison exists
        exclude_sea_travel
    }
    Here is an oddity:
    descr_strat.txt 887: Parsing error - Unrecognized directive on line: script
    descr_strat.txt 888: Parsing error - Unrecognized directive on line: campaign_script.txt
    Unrecognized token in EDCT 18161: settlementislocal. Typo in EDCT or fault in the checker?

Strat stuff was puzzling as it is the standard entry at the bottom of the file, I am suspecting it was looking for faction_standing entries - NM hasn't got any yet.

The token was this trigger, the condition is valid:
    Code:
    Trigger conquistador_regions
        WhenToTest GeneralCaptureSettlement

Condition not SettlementIsLocal
              and CharFactionType spain

Affects Conquistador  1  Chance  100
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 11, 2022 at 02:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FEB, by PM
    Hello! I am an author of the in-dev MossflowerTW mod and I have trouble installing your checker. I've installled it in the 'tools' directory and changed the data path; unfortunately, I get the ".log file not found" for every file the checker is supposed to create. I have the latest Java version installed as well. I figured if someone has the most experience with the tool, that would be the tool's creator It would be great if you could help me set it up.
    Answering this in the main thread as others may then be helped as well. I am a bit confused about what you report, so I am not entirely sure, but what I suspect is that there is an error message of sorts being output when running the tool and it crashes for some reason. Then attempting to open all the log files it should have produced fails, as it didn't actually make them.

Please try to run the checker using the command line. This should allow you to see the error message, which may point you in the right direction and would most certainly allow me to understand more what is going on.

Sample output for a successful run:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    C:\Spill\EB2Svn\documentation\tools\BovineM2twCheck>runcheck.bat

C:\Spill\EB2Svn\documentation\tools\BovineM2twCheck>SET EDITOR=notepad

C:\Spill\EB2Svn\documentation\tools\BovineM2twCheck>if not exist lib (
    mkdir lib;
    copy ..\common_kotlin_library\*.* lib
    )

C:\Spill\EB2Svn\documentation\tools\BovineM2twCheck>SET LIBRARIES=lib/kotlin-reflect.jar

C:\Spill\EB2Svn\documentation\tools\BovineM2twCheck>SET LIBRARIES=lib/kotlin-reflect.jar;lib/kotlin-reflect-sources.jar

C:\Spill\EB2Svn\documentation\tools\BovineM2twCheck>SET LIBRARIES=lib/kotlin-reflect.jar;lib/kotlin-reflect-sources.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib.jar

C:\Spill\EB2Svn\documentation\tools\BovineM2twCheck>SET LIBRARIES=lib/kotlin-reflect.jar;lib/kotlin-reflect-sources.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-sources.jar

C:\Spill\EB2Svn\documentation\tools\BovineM2twCheck>SET LIBRARIES=lib/kotlin-reflect.jar;lib/kotlin-reflect-sources.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-sources.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-jdk7.jar

C:\Spill\EB2Svn\documentation\tools\BovineM2twCheck>SET LIBRARIES=lib/kotlin-reflect.jar;lib/kotlin-reflect-sources.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-sources.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-jdk7.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-jdk7-sources.jar

C:\Spill\EB2Svn\documentation\tools\BovineM2twCheck>SET LIBRARIES=lib/kotlin-reflect.jar;lib/kotlin-reflect-sources.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-sources.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-jdk7.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-jdk7-sources.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-jdk8.jar

C:\Spill\EB2Svn\documentation\tools\BovineM2twCheck>SET LIBRARIES=lib/kotlin-reflect.jar;lib/kotlin-reflect-sources.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-sources.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-jdk7.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-jdk7-sources.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-jdk8.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-jdk8-sources.jar

C:\Spill\EB2Svn\documentation\tools\BovineM2twCheck>SET LIBRARIES=lib/kotlin-reflect.jar;lib/kotlin-reflect-sources.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-sources.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-jdk7.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-jdk7-sources.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-jdk8.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-jdk8-sources.jar;lib/kotlin-test.jar

C:\Spill\EB2Svn\documentation\tools\BovineM2twCheck>SET LIBRARIES=lib/kotlin-reflect.jar;lib/kotlin-reflect-sources.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-sources.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-jdk7.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-jdk7-sources.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-jdk8.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-jdk8-sources.jar;lib/kotlin-test.jar;lib/kotlin-test-sources.jar

C:\Spill\EB2Svn\documentation\tools\BovineM2twCheck>java -cp "target;lib/kotlin-reflect.jar;lib/kotlin-reflect-sources.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-sources.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-jdk7.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-jdk7-sources.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-jdk8.jar;lib/kotlin-stdlib-jdk8-sources.jar;lib/kotlin-test.jar;lib/kotlin-test-sources.jar" main.BovineM2twCheckKt configuration.txt
    Starting the checker. This will show terse information about main stages starting.
    You can see more verbose output by tailing "checker.output.log".

Initializing the tool.
    Looking for configuration file "configuration.txt".
    Did not find the configuration file in the root folder of the tool. Looking for it under config instead.
    Configuration file found. Starting up.
    Starting reading process.
    Starting processing of checks.
    Successful run.

C:\Spill\EB2Svn\documentation\tools\BovineM2twCheck>start "notepad" eda.error.log

C:\Spill\EB2Svn\documentation\tools\BovineM2twCheck>start "notepad" edct.error.log

C:\Spill\EB2Svn\documentation\tools\BovineM2twCheck>start "notepad" filereferences.error.log

C:\Spill\EB2Svn\documentation\tools\BovineM2twCheck>start "notepad" unit.error.log

C:\Spill\EB2Svn\documentation\tools\BovineM2twCheck>start "notepad" script.error.log

C:\Spill\EB2Svn\documentation\tools\BovineM2twCheck>start "notepad" sounds.error.log

C:\Spill\EB2Svn\documentation\tools\BovineM2twCheck>start "notepad" stratmap.error.log

C:\Spill\EB2Svn\documentation\tools\BovineM2twCheck>start "notepad" sundry.error.log

C:\Spill\EB2Svn\documentation\tools\BovineM2twCheck>start "notepad" checker.output.log

================
    ================

Blog Entries

I suspect a java issue as I had the same 'eda.error.log missing' error before I installed the latest java version (version 7 I installed for older tools didn't do the job). The checker generates that file even if it crashes halfway, albeit empty.
    And the 'start' lines assume the checker generated them with eda.error.log being the first one.
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 11, 2022 at 03:05 AM.

Howdy, getting the error in the screenshot. Just using bare geomod as a base. Might also be the error the previous commenter mentioned. I have java installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BovineError.png  
    Last edited by aleolex; August 18, 2022 at 02:06 PM.

Blog Entries

Please check the version of your java, it needs to be 8. You can manually update the version here.

Note: when updating you can uninstall any previous versions, should you be using older java applications (there are some tools around here that run only on 7) then decline.

Yeah I've got version 8. I actually did try to run it before installing Java, and then installed the current version. This is what I got after installing it.

From what I can tell, the specific error is:
    Code:
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError kotlin/jvm/internal/intrinsics at main.BovineM2twCheckKt.main(BovineM2twCheck.kt)
    and then says it was
    Code:
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: kotlin.jvn.internal.Intrinsics
    Along with a bunch of findclass/loadclass lines citing an (unknown source)
    Last edited by aleolex; August 18, 2022 at 11:56 PM.

Blog Entries

Have you set the path correctly in the configuration file? See the config subdirectory: configuration.cfg - this line:

DATAFOLDER=../../../mods/EBII/data

My suggestion is to use a full path to the data folder of the mod, eg DATAFOLDER=D:/games/Medieval II Total War/mods/bare_geomod/data

This error message says it cannot find the Kotlin libraries under lib - which is little surprise considering I forgot to include them in the latest upload .

Edit: Reuploaded with the missing files now. Gigantus probably didn't encounter the error because he unpacked into an existing version of the checker where they are present.
    Last edited by bovi; August 19, 2022 at 04:22 AM.

================
    ================

I figured it might've been something like that because the lib folder was empty.