Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [IBFD AAR] Saviours of Roma

Icon1 [IBFD AAR] Saviours of Roma

Hi my name is Kaiser_Alex, this is my very first AAR, so I would apreciate any constructive criticism.

I am playing the mod Invasio Barbarorvm Flagelum Dei as the Imperium Constantini, this is my attempt at a narrative AAR so I will be focusing on characters and try to narrate event as they happen.

My native language is not English but I tried my best.
    The battle difficulty is set to hard and the campaign set to either hard or very hard, I can´t remember.
    I am trying to make it somewhat historically believable, so if I make some mistake I would appreciate if somebody corrected me.

Default Re: [IBFD AAR] Saviours of Roma

Part 1

Romans, Friends, Brothers, we all have heard great stories about our ancestors, about the mighty Scipio Africanus who defeated the seemingly unbeatable Hannibal, or about the Caesars who conquered this very land and brought civilization to it. This land war built by god and populated by giants, and now I fear it will fall to monsters. Our leaders call themselves august but dare to abandon romans to their luck. The coward Honorius took the legions of the island five years ago, leaving US to face off the barbarians alone. How can we follow a man who deserted his own people? All the things we enjoy as Romans, Hot baths, clean water in our cities, and roads, were earned with the blood of our fathers and the ones who came before them. If we allow those unwashed hordes of hairy pigs to breach our walls and Pierce our hearts all of that will be gone forever. I will do my duty as a true Roman must, and I trust you will join me to save Rome from Her enemies, be them Barbarian or Roman. Roma Victor!
    -Constantinus´s speech after being crowned Roman Emperor by the remnants of the army in Britannia.

Rome falls as a great calamity sweeps over the known world, hordes of Germanic tribes Banished from their homes by stronger invaders and snows that would freeze hell itself, seek to settle in Roman lands.
    Since 402 the legions were constantly removed from Britannia until only militia forces were left.
    After five years of fear, what was left of the British garrison rebelled and crowned Constantinus as the true Roman Emperor of the west.

With haste the new Emperor gathered the few troops he could and marched on Gallia to free it from Honorius and barbarian invaders such as the vandals, and proclaimed his son, Constans, Caesar
    Constantinus sent Constans and trusted general Gerontius to make war on his roman enemies in southern Gallia and Hispania when he was dismayed to know that Britannia, his homeland rebelled against him so that they could seek favor with the other romans.
    Constantinus felt betrayed but knew all of this was his fault, he not only wanted to save Britannia but all the Romans.
    Later, in spring 409, Gerontius rebelled in favor of yet another usurper, his son, Maximus.
    It is now 410, Constantinus find himself trapped at Arelate and surrounded by two legions sent by Honorius, commanded by Constantius Flavius and posthumus dardanus.
    Edobichus, a prominent general, receives a message from constantinus to defeat gerontius and relieve the siege.

First off I disbanded the useless garrisons that were hurting my already weak economy, and repairing the buildings damaged by the barbarian incursions.
    Before Edobichus can relieve the siege at Arelate, he must fight Gerontius´s rebellion.
    Both parties agreed to exchange words at an intermidiate distance between their armies, acompanied only by a handfull of horsemen.

“This need not end in bloodshed, surrender your weapons, Traitor.” Edobichus said in an arrogant tone.
    “Traitor, I, may you wish to talk about your father then?.” Asked Gerontius challenging Edobichus´s arrogance.
    “Your blood will clean the dishonor I inherited from my father” Edobichus answered as his men applauded and cheered for him.
    “Maybe, but not even God will save you from your fate, IF, you defeat me here today, what then, you will follow your master to the pits of hell that are Honorious´s legions and die.My son has a better chance of being emperor than Constantinus ever had.”
    “Then I will see his head on a spear too.”

After a rousing speech about guts and glory, Edobichus prepares his men for battle.
    As his men march forth to meet the enemy, a messenger arrives saying that the garrison force of lugdunum under captain Verenianus are about to enter the battlefield from the north, effectively trapping Gerontius.
    Such good news filled Edobichus´s heart with confidence, but not as much confidance as captain Verenianus who charges his men while Edobichus is still skirmishing with the disorganized enemy.

Gerontius and his bodyguard dared to threaten edobichus´s right flank but he anticipaded such cunning moves from his oponent and sent a cavalry detachment supported by spearmen to kill them and protect the flank.
    As soon as the garrison force met the enemy, Edobichus gave the order to charge while of course keeping some reserves.
    After the sound of trumpets and whistles, swords, spears and shields clashed and battle began.
    The bloodshed was most intense, captain Verenianus, tries to prove his hability, but falls from his horse and is killed amids the sword fight.

Seeing the left flank crumbling after the death of the captain, Edobichus rode with his bodyguard and a detachment of hardened Frankish cavalry to prevent an envelopment on his own men, but at the same time the right flanck is starting to give in. The Centurion of the foederati spearmen on the right, Gaius Flaminius, saw the seriousness of the situation and doubled his efords to kill Gerontius.
    With the right flank threatening to melt away the situation was starting to become desperate and Edobichus knew that Gerontius´s Troops were both better trained and equiped than his mostly foederati army and the only way to win the day was with tactics.
    After some time the gap made by the retreating forces on the right had to be covered by the reserves which by this time consisted of weak warbands, the lowest peasants barely drilled for battle.
    On the extreme right all but Gerontius himself are killed and with stunning precision Centurion Flaminius´s blade finds his heart and the rebel´s body lays gently on the ground.

Still victory could not be claimed for Edobichus´s men now exhausted from the fight break and flee, and the enemy, tenacious as the were, stood their ground.
    As Edobichus loocked back he saw most of his army running away, so, after a curse or two, started giving orders to whoever was left in the chaos that this battle had become. After new battlelines formed, God smiled upon him this day and Gerontius´s army now tired and leaderless and so without reson to fight, surrendered or fleed.

After the battle Maximus, son of Gerontius lost all hope of becoming Emperor, and knowing the danger of being alive and fealing the fear that comes with such knowledge, he committed suicide.

Unfortunatly, I forgot to sceenshot the battle results so you are going to have to belive me when I say that many people died.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Welcome to the Writers' Study! Writing an AAR can be tricky until you have 25 posts, because you can't edit your posts until you have 25. One good way to reach 25 posts and to introduce yourself to the community of writers here is to post encouraging comments on other AARs and creative writing. If you have questions about writing, feel free to ask them on the Writers' Study chat thread or start a thread in the Writers' Lounge.

It's great to see an AAR set in the fifth century as the Western Roman Empire struggles for survival. I'm reading Adrian Golsworthy's book The Fall of the West: The Death of the Roman Superpower, I find this period fascinating.

You set the scene well, introducing us to Constantinus, proclaimed emperor by the remnants of the garrison in a remote province and fighting to restore Roman order in chaotic times. Your English is good and I enjoyed your report of the battle. (You don't need to screenshot the battle results; you can, if you want do.) I hope that Constans, son of Constantinus, will have more success than Maximus, son of Gerontius!

Thank you, I did´t know about the 25 post thing, I will surely try to involve myself more in the community.

Back in camp, the mood is too dark and grim to celebrate and the wine is not to comemorate victory but to honour fallen brothers.

“The priests will have a lot of work in their hands this time, bloody mess.” Edobichus jokingly comments to one of his servants.

“I don´t belive this is time for humor, Dominus.”

“Humor helps to lighten the darkest times, does it not?”

The conversation is abruplty interupted by one of Edobichus´s frends and companions, Horatius

“what a disaster, with what force are we to relieve Constantinus now?” Asks horatius with terror stiken eyes

“Why so nervous you all, we still have men, in combination with Constantinus´s it´s more than enough to take on those bloody dogs.” Replies the general with great calm and confidence.

“what if it isn´t enough?”

“then we all will die, now tell the men to be ready to march tomorrow by first light, we have to pick up supplies and reinfocements at lugdunum, oh, and send my condolences to the garrison commander´s family, that always looks good.”

As the army sets up camp next to lugdunum, it just misses Constans, son of the Emperor, leaving the city. He is sent by his father to go to Avaricum in the center of Gaul to take care of administrative business and become it´s governor.Constantinus could not have picked a better man, for his son has studied all matters of law and politics as well as perfected his oratoral habilities with latin philosophers.

Next turn, Constans betrothes a woman named Vistilia, but he is barren, so, there is not much hope for the dynasty to continue in case Constantinus`s empire survives. The festivities are to take place at Avaricum when they arrive.

Edobichus`s odyssey to save Constantinus continues as he marches south, on the way his scouts report a WRE raiding force. Battlelines are formed but the enemy stands their ground even though they have no hope of victory, certanly they thought this was the ill equipped and trained garrison beacause as soon as the enemy saw the disciplined formation and the faces of hardened men, they turned around and fled , unfortunatly, only one of the four cohorts of legio lanciarii was annihalated.

It sounds like Constans is a skilled governor but that the family line will end here, unless there's a way to get around this (perhaps through adoption?). The general who was marching to relieve Constantinus appears to be concerned about his self-image (with the line about sending condolences "because that always looks good").

Either adoption, or Constantinus can have another son.

Edobichus, well, he is just a pragmatic guy.

During the summer of 411 a great oportunity arouse, the heir of the WRE was at the head of an army raiding the countryside next to Arelate. They were surely triying to destroy nearby plantations so that no food could be smuggled in.

He was isolated and outnumbered,but not weak, his professional infantry are well supported by archers and artillery. This may seem like a onesided battle, but legio comitatenses are like dreadnoughts, whatever else is on the battlefield isn´t half as good as them, and of course, Constantinus´s army are mostly useless militias.

Constantinus`s strategy was cunning indeed, first he would hide his entire infantry force on a forest and move his skirmishers ahead supported by the cavalry. His intent was to deplete the enemy´s ammunition, therefor removing his range disadvantage.

The enemy, caught by surprise, saw his cavalry on the left flank melt away, they must have thought that the archers were their only problem and charged, only to be greeted by Constantinus´s flankish cavalry. A skirmish ensued between the archers and the WRE´s missiles and onagers. At such an extreme distance I was expecting the artillary to be next to useless, but was quickly reminded that romans made great use of WW1 artillery barrages.

Then, they decided to send some of their infantry, the comitatenses that, as stated, are tanks, especialy in the hands of the AI on hard, I had to attack them with javelins from the back and multiple charges in the back by cavalry, losing a great deal of it.
    The skirmish fase continued and Constantinus became bolder and more daring.
    The enemy formed a blob, showing obvious issues in the chain of command and leadership. After a bit the enemy decided to advance, but constantinus would not let the enemy take the initiative, and besides they still had artillary. Constantinus gave the order and his great force started a march that shook the ground.
    The line moved uneven due to the varying quality of the troops, some cohorts moved faster than others. The enemy took advantage of this by charging the faster units with cataphracts, but found themselves quickly outnumbered, flanked and crushed.

Many cohorts of the enemy were outnumbered but not outmatched.

The cavalry stayed on the flanks, waiting for a moment to strike. This moment came when Constantius Flavius showed himself on our right flank, and so a horde of two hundred cavalry charged uphill to cut of the head of the enemy army, they knew what was at stake here, killing the WRE´s heir would land a great blow to the enemy.

Meanwhile, on the left flank, a great pincer movement saw Constantinus´s cavalry, with himself amongs them, cut down the enemy skirmishers with ease, and threataned the artillery.

The rest of the army pressed forth as the heavier units joined the battle, the greatest struggle is yet to be fought.

Finally, on the right flank, reinforcement arrived, now Constantius Flavius has his days numbered.

On the left, the enemy was outnumbered and enveloped, but still refused to give ground and fought with great ferocity.

Then, like a rat fleeing onto the sewers, Constantius escapes and even after a lenghty chase, flead to the forest.

After the chase was done, Constantinus ordered the cavalry to return, for the battle was not yet done, the Romans fought to the death and killed many warriors.

Constantinus´s weaker units were starting to flee, and those who didn´t, died. The battle waged for a long time, but in the end the WRE´s troops lost faith and tried to run, but got slaughtered in the atempt.

The battle was a clear victory!

Part 2

Back in camp, Constantinus writes a message to Edobichus

“Edobichus, dear friend, we archived a glorious victory on the besieging forces today, Constantius had to flee the battle and my scouts report that he borded some ships and sailed off, but all is not yet well, the garrison army is mostly destroied, only a brave few survived. I urge you to come to our aid and together crush Honorious´s slaves.”

Little did Constantinus knew that by the time the letter reached Edobichus, he was done defeating the last army sent to reinforce Constantius, the Heir of the WRE.

A few days later, Edobichus´s army reaches the brige to Arelate, the only way into the city. He sets up camp on both sides and rushed to finaly see Constantinus face to face.

When Edobichus reached the gates of the city, he was stunned by it´s size and magnificence. The light breeze of late afternoon blows on his face and and makes his long, wild hair rise from his shoulders, and at that moment he said to his companions and trusted bodyguards “This is what we have been fighting for.” But there was no time for further reflections, much had to be done.

As soon as the gates were open, a great flood of people drowned Edobichus with flowers, praise and thanks. The spectacle reached it´s peak when the general walked under the triumphal arch in the city, a simbol built in honor of great men.

After that, he entered the church, or rather the small chapel of the city, at this time the crowed had disperced and Edobichus had a moment to reflect and talk to God.

Then, when religious business were done, he entered the imperial palace where Constantinus awaited for his presence. The palace was Huge and Edobichus could not avoid but to think for a second on how many slaves must have worked and died to erect such a building.

As Edobichus enters the palace proper, he is immediately greeted by Constantinus

They come into a giant room, full of the most expensive furniture, surely acquired in a time of economic abundance. The open windows welcome the warm summers’s Mediterranean air that gives this room a calm and comfortable fell to it.

“My heart fills with joy from you presence” says Constantinus with a grin from ear to ear.

“I did only my duty as any Roman must, Dominus.”

“Call me no such thing, we are equals, well almost, you have known me since the days of the legion In Britannia, and you never called me that, besides it is rather awkward to have an old friend use those terms”

“as you wish”

“Anyway, we have important matters to discuss, with Honorious´s dogs on the run, we have a bit more breathing room, I suggest we march north to finally subdue the Franks, you could stay here if you want.”

“why would I want that?” Indignantly asks Edobichus.

“Well, I just thought you would not want to face the comrades of your father.”

“why must this subject haunt me, I will say it once again, I am Roman, and wish only death to the enemies of Rome, and to yours.” Asserts Edobichus abandoning the calm he often shows.

“Fine, I shall not talk about it again.”

“Also, should we not go attack honorious in Italy”

“I am afraid we are not strong enough for that, nor are they strong enough to march on us, I am satisfied with dis status quo for now.”

“I see, now on the subject of future campaigns, we must keep in our minds the financial situation, we are running a deficit even with taxes so high that the population is starting to leave the cities.”

“Exactly, the loot we will get from the Franks will inject new capital that we can invest, besides, in some cities investments have been done to construct trading posts and better the infrastructure for the farms, that should stabilize the situation, at least temporarily.”

“If you say so, we shall march north, but, will Constans come with us?”

“No, he won´t, I sent him to be the governor of Avaricum.”

“His soul lies indeed in political matters, not in military ones”

“Indeed. It is settled then, we will join our legions, leave a garrison at Arelate for it is still in danger, and destroy the Franks once and for all!”

I like your creative use of screenshots, focusing on the grand buildings rather than armies fighting. It sounds like the campaign against the Franks will be important for Rome's economic recovery as well as her physical security. Don't forget to keep commenting on updates from other AAR writers, if you'd like them to comment on yours.
    Last edited by Alwyn; September 16, 2018 at 02:00 AM.

Before preparations could be finished for the campaign, Edobichus got married to an astute local noble named Martina, who won his admiration by sending 3 bandits, who tried to rob and rape her, to their bloody graves. She insisted in going in the campaign and Edobichus did not object to that, in fact he considered it a blessing, for a woman can distract a man’s mind from the hardships of a bloody campaign.

Around the same time, in the winter of 411, Constans arrived at Avaricum, at the door to the palace stand a tall man with a wondering face, he clearly is very impressed by his surroundings.

“Avitus, is that really you?” Asks Constans in surprise

“Did I change that much in three years?” Says Avitus while receiving a long warm hug

“What are you doing here?”

“I heard you were going to become governor here at Avaricum and thought you could use a hand with architectural porpuses.”

“So kind of you, now, the real reason.”

“I just couldn´t take any more of those damned priests in the monastery, always God this and God that, I just want to live a little.”

“I understand that, but for god´s sake don´t cause any trouble.”

“I promise.”

“yes, because that is worth a lot coming from you, now let´s get inside, I need a hot bath.”

Now, the economic situation is not the best.

But if people keep dying so I don´t have to pay them, then I think we are going to be fine.

A new aar? Definitely subscribed
    My name is John, Tribune of Legio Ripenses IX Tertiae Italica and loyal servant to the computer generated Emperor, Julianus Flavius Augustus "The Apostles". And I will have my vengeance again The Quadi tribes, barbarian scums who decimated half of my legio in Mediolanum City Siege almost a year ago and Gratianus Flavius "The Traitor", the former Caesar who convince a half of precious my legio to his petty scheme rebellion just 3 months ago in this save game or the next
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar

And so the march north begins.

In the summer of 412, Constantinus ´s wife gives birth to a girl, Ancharia.

In the north, in the outskirts of Samarobriva, a Frankish raiding party pillages the land, and many farmers are left with their crops and farms raised to the ground. But the local garrison capitain did not felt confident enough to attack.

During the winter of that same year Constans is “visited” by a rather unpleasant family member, his aunt. She is probably here to stay.

The previously mentioned raiding party had the misfortune of going south, right on the path of Constantinus´s spears.

The fighting was over quickly, and the enemy was destroyed, but yet a better prize was to be revealed.
    While on the retreat, the Frankish Capitan stumbled on one of his comrade´s body, fell and was captured. He was brought to a nearby farm that was lucky enough to stand unharmed, there he was tortured by a couple of men, the centurion Gaius Flaminius and Horatius, a trusted man of Edobichus was also there. After hours of suffering, his screams silence as the door opens. One of the men could speak both languages and so made the interrogations much easier.

“Ready to talk, barbarian.” Edobichus asks with a soothing voice.

He mumbles some words that no one understands.

“For another hour, boys”

“Wait, wait, I talk” Says the Capitan, struggling to talk with his now toothless bloody mouth.

“So, why did you come here?”

“King Faramund is preparing a great invasion of Gallia, He levied a huge force, you can´t stop him, no one can, soon the kingdom of Frankia will rule all of Gallia.”

“Shame you won´t be able to see your master´s dreams fade away, just like his life. Finish him, and no word about this to anyone.”

“What about Constantinus…” asks Horatius.

“Especially Him.”

Good update! It sounds like the raiding party's misfortune was created an opportunity for the Romans. I'm intrigued by the news about King Faramund and wonder what the consequences of this will be.

The Frankish Capitan’s confession seemed to be right, a considerable force was marching west, and scouts report of an even bigger army assembling in the province nearby.

On the same summer, Constans makes Avaricum the capital of the Empire, hoping that giving such importance to a city right in the middle of it would improve trade, and also give him a better handle on the administrative business of the Empire, while others waged war.

A few months later the invading army moved towards Samarobriva probably to besiege it, little did they knew, that Constantinus´s army was on its way to defeat them.

During the winter of 413, the Frankish force was but a few days from Samarobriva when Constantinus and his army catched them on the march. To aid them was Decimus, the governor of Samarobriva, he was the one to guide Constantinus army to the location of the Franks.

The night before battle Constantinus and Edobichus planned the battle.

Constantinus: So, as I said, we must move with caution, we never know what tricks they have up their sleeves.

Edobichus: With all respect, I think we should attack decisively, for we outnumber them by far.

Constantinus: exactly, this could very well be a trap.

Edobichus: a trap? How, the battle is going to be on flat ground, barely any forests around.

Constantinus: If there is the slightest chance of a surprise, even if it is as far-fetched as their warriors rising from the ground like moles, then we must be careful. The last thing we need is to lose an army because we charged headlong into the lion´s den.

Edobichus: Of course, we will do as you say.

A Flagellum Dei AAR...cool stuff! I must admit I had mixed feeling when you defeated Constantius. I wrote an AAR some time ago and Constantius was a beast who reclaimed Gallia before been done in by Roman and Gothic treachery.

Good luck. I always found this faction tricky to play with.
    'The Last Pagan Emperor'- An Invasio Barbarorum Somnium Apostatae Juliani AAR
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

'Immortal Persia' A Civilization III AAR

Prepare to imbibe the medicine of rebuke!

It sounds like Constantinus made a sensible decision to approach the enemy cautiously. But could the enemy somehow take advantage of his caution - and does Constantinus have a more detailed plan of attack? I look forward to finding out!

thank you, I actually started reading your "the last pagan emperor" AAR but it´s hard to find time.

The campaign has been pretty tough but fun, you just have to be good with the money you have and win battles.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

An interesting AAR so far. 4th and 5th century is a very intriguing period in Roman history. Tough campaigns usually reward themselves in many opportunities for narrative reasons. Now to crush those dastardly Franks!

The Franks took a nearby hill as Constantinus was setting up, Edobichus was to command the right flank and Constantinus and Decimus the left.
    As planned, the archers began bombarding the enemy with deadly arrows.

The franks moved up their own skirmisher, but they were at a disadvantage in quality.
    Seeing that there was no hope in the skirmish they advanced a few regiments to scare off the archers, but this did not work for the order was sent so that the whole infantry line moved forth to protect them.
    When the franks got close enough they began throwing axes, the feared Francisca.

Constantinus ordered the line to move up and a melee begun but did not last for the Frankish forces started running away, leaving but a few men behind to delay the romans, Edobichus saw this and decided to quickly move up his forces and charge to prevent the retreat.

Through swift action from the cavalry, the franks found themselves surrounded and doomed.
    The Frankish force was crushed, only a few regiments survived.

Back at Constantinus´s tent, he and Edobichus discuss the battle.

Edobichus: We could have killed them all, if only we had been more aggressive.

Constantinus: The battle went just fine, the survivors won´t be a threat anymore. I understand you only want the good of the empire, but sometimes holding the initiative does not mean you have to use it aggressively.

Edobichus: I suppose you are right, we must look to the future now. We are so close to the franks´s heartland we must destroy them once and for all.

Constantinus: I agree, today we celebrate, tomorrow we march to our destinies. By the way, just one more thing, I recognize your value as a capable commander of troops, and for that reason I am making you magister militum of the Empire.

Edobichus: I don´t know what to say, I... am honored

Constantinus: I know, we may disagree in strategy sometimes, but I know you do what needs to be done in the field.

In a more alarming note, the Visigoths enter the province of Narbo with their horde of homeless, hungry families.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast