Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AAA: Discussion + Feedback Thread - Questions, Ideas, Critiques

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Default AAA: Discussion + Feedback Thread - Questions, Ideas, Critiques

This thread is for discussions and feedback related to the AAA mod series.

You can, if you want, open up a new thread about whatever topic you wish to discuss in the forum if you feel it warrants one.

Frequently Asked Questions
    Q1: When will # be done? / Any news? / Updates? / Progress? / Where are my #?
    A1: When I have time and also feel like modding, progress will be made. While doing character appearance mods is easy in theory (e.g. make variantmeshdefinition file, replace existing general's files with your own, done), I put a lot of time and effort into these ones since thousands of variants need to be created for age, rank and season. I also not only do retextures of existing assets, but I also go out of my way to make entirely new assets from scratch (modelling, texturing, exporting etc) if they haven't already been made by CA. I'll let you all know in my own time when noteworthy progress has been made - don't rush me/pile on pressure, otherwise it'll give you a rushed mod and/or have the inverse effect of making me want to do it.

Q2: I've just started using this mod and I've noticed that none of the characters wear helmets? Why?
    A2: Rank 1 generals don't have helmets. This has been done intentionally so that the player can see at a glance whether or not a general is totally inexperienced (i.e. has never fought and won a single battle before) and also to see the recruitable candidates' full facial features so that you can recognise them as a politician. It is also a noticeable way to test to see if the mod is working as intended - when a general gets to rank 2, they will acquire their first helmet. If you would like all starting characters to have a bit more variety in their ranks upon starting a new game, I suggest using a mod like Skidvar's Starting Ranks (vanilla).

Q3: Is this mod compatible with # mod?
    A3: This mod should be compatible with all mods (as said before, it only changes character appearances - nothing major), but there might be a few minor hiccups depending on whether or not the mod you're using affects character art sets for certain cultures or factions, makes changes to existing vanilla content (e.g. models, textures, shield patterns) and other things related to character appearances. If you are unsure whether or not a mod works well with AAA, take a look at the list of mod combination test reports here (coming soon - text is placeholder for a new thread to be made). If you run into any issues, let us know in the AAA: Bug Reports / Other Issues thread.

Q4: Is this mod save compatible?
    A4: Yes, even after updates - it only adds character appearance-related files (which, when running, overwrite existing ones below the load order). It doesn't add any scripts, startpos edits or whatever which causes serious incompatibilities. You can enable / disable the mod(s) at any time without consequence.

Q5: Should I enable all the mods at the same time?
    A5: That's up to you, each one changes different culture's / faction's appearances. If you want the full AAA character experience without interruption, enable all of them. If you only want to cater for a specific campaign, check out the coverage of each mod on the Future Roadmap thread (coming soon) to see which ones you need to cover all factions on the campaign you're playing on.

Q6: Are all the AAA mods compatible with one another?
    A6: Yes, they are. You can enable all at the same time without consequence. However, be mindful that there is a mod limit for Total War: ROME II - if you go over 35 enabled mods, you will encounter strange graphical issues. This is a bug CA introduced with Patch 18 (Empire Divided) which hasn't gone away, nothing to do with AAA.

Q7: I want to play with this mod in a multiplayer campaign, but I get a "version mismatched" notification when my friend tries to join / when I try to join my friend's server? Why is this?
    A7: All players must have the same mods enabled to be able to play with one another - check your enabled mod lists in the launcher before playing the game. This goes for any mod, no matter how small. AAA has been successfully tested to work on multiplayer many times without issue. Here's a screenshot of both AAA: Greek Generals and AAA: Roman Generals in action, showing two different ranked / aged / located faction leaders (Benjin = Egypt, Faction Leader = Rank: 3 (early helmet + early cloak), Age: Young, Climate: Warm. Joshua hygaard = Rome, Faction Leader = Rank: 2 (early helmet), Age: Young, Climate: Cold).
    Last edited by Benjin; July 11, 2019 at 01:19 PM.
    3D ARTIST (MODELS/TEXTURES), ANIMATOR, RIGGER

Default Re: Feedback Thread - Questions, Ideas, Critiques

Hi Benjin. Could you add hair to the majority of generals please? Most of them are bald. ��

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Thaddeleus View Post
    Hi Benjin. Could you add hair to the majority of generals please? Most of them are bald. ��
    I will be doing that in future for the ones who are still totally bald, yeah. Unfortunately, the vanilla hair doesn't fit on the majority of the Attila Roman heads properly, so the existing hair assets require a bit of resizing before I can give them hair.

Once I'm done with the Egyptian + Greek generals, I'll come back to the Roman ones.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

The usual question! Where are we on DEI's compatible version ?

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

The mods are already compatible? When placed above DeI in the load order - unless a certain culture / subculture / faction didn't exist in vanilla and has a different name (if it does, then I'll just add it to the tables myself incase anyone uses it with DeI) - the mods should just overwrite DeI's generals when enabled. So far, the GC / IA / CiG / HatG generals for Rome have been released and people report that it works great with DeI.
    Last edited by Benjin; September 25, 2018 at 10:43 PM.

aNarion.'s Avatar Centenarius

I can confirm it works flawless with DEI.

How is the next installment coming along? Heard it was egypt, hellenic and etruscan(?)

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Yeah I'm currently doing Egyptians, Greeks and Spartans first - you can check here for progress. Hopefully some time in the next week or two I can get around to finishing those Etruscans I started for Rise of the Republic - all of the uniforms were actually finished, but I still needed to do their heads (slightly higher quality textures and some old variants).

EDIT: I'll finish the Etruscans after the Greeks have been released. I can also include the new work I've done on the Greeks to make Greeks for RotR as well.
    Last edited by Benjin; November 09, 2018 at 01:10 PM.

Benjin, Let me express my gratitude and respect from Russian fans of TW and your creativity.

and now questions��
    Similar work will be done with agents?
    And my tame bear asks: Will updates be released on TWC? and when?
    I hope everything is clearly written��

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Twoyamamasha View Post
    Benjin, Let me express my gratitude and respect from Russian fans of TW and your creativity.

and now questions��
    Similar work will be done with agents?
    And my tame bear asks: Will updates be released on TWC? and when?
    I hope everything is clearly written��
    Totally forgot to reply to this, sorry.

Yeah I eventually want to do agents as well. However, that's a long way off - I'm doing all the Generals / Family characters first.

It may take me a while sometimes to make an update (depends what happens IRL), but I eventually post them. I've posted quite a few in the AAA: Greeks thread recently.

So excited for the Greek update today!

Is Carthage slated next? I'm holding off on my Carthage campaign for your mod cause it's just that good.

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

I would really like to do the Punic Generals / Politicians next. So yeah, I think that will be the next one - after the Romans and now Greeks, Carthage look like they need some attention next.

I agree. I actually found this mod while looking for alternate general skins for Carthage. I mean they look "decent" for Phoenicians/Liby-Phoenicians with their olive skin, facial hair, and big noses, but the same four faces in different angles got tiring.

Too bad there's no voice actor mod

Agree with the Carthage decision.

can you provide non steam link to AAA submods (Polybian style set and Marian style set)

Default Re: Discussion + Feedback Thread - Questions, Ideas, Critiques

Still working or plans for Empire Divided Romans?

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Yes, I am working on Greek + Punic + Empire Divided Roman 3D assets right now. Here are two things I'm working on at the moment.

Wrath of Sparta - Greek "Parablemata" Shield Apron
    References

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

3D Asset (WIP)

nCloth Simulation - Looking for the basic shape of the thing.

Model + Textures - Low-poly Parablemata model with baked details from the high-poly nCloth simulation (low-poly = 200 faces (front + back sides, 100 faces per side), high-poly = 32,000 faces).

Model + Textures - Test texture; will improve it later (the checkerboard squares don't align with the shape of the cloth at the moment, and I want some more leather-like details on there, and some more cloth-like ripples).

Empire Divided - Roman "Worthing" Helmet

References

3D Asset (WIP)

Model - The first version of the low-poly model is done, I just need to make a high-poly version with all of the microdent + carving + engraving details using this thing as a base. Once that's done, I bake those details onto either this or another, new low-poly mesh (depends on what changes I make while doing the high-poly).

Last edited by Benjin; April 23, 2019 at 06:35 PM.

Gyrosmeister's Avatar Monsieur Grec

Quote Originally Posted by Benjin View Post
    Yes, I am working on Greek + Punic + Empire Divided Roman 3D assets right now. Here are two things I'm working on at the moment.

Wrath of Sparta - Greek "Parablemata" Shield Flag

Empire Divided - Roman "Worthing" Helmet
    Looks good Keep it up

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

This is a pretty neat mod. I do wonder if maybe traits could initiate a change in the armor they wear? For example if a general suddenly gets a trait for Thracian helmet, they now wear a thracian helmet?
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    This is a pretty neat mod. I do wonder if maybe traits could initiate a change in the armor they wear? For example if a general suddenly gets a trait for Thracian helmet, they now wear a thracian helmet?
    I wish that were possible, but I don't think it is. If it were, I'd definitely do that sort of thing, especially with the "Faction Leader" and "Scarred" traits.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

I've checked the lua functions but didn't find anything regarding this

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast