Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Franco's Mausoleum upsets Spain, again.

Default Re: Franco's Mausoleum upsets Spain, again.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Umm. If that's [It is a Catholic basilica to commemorate and bury those that died in Spanish civil war.] so why is Fraco buried there?
    Because he won that war and ruled country for a long period of time.
    I'm sure the guys in US prison working a few cents an hour would take that deal if they were not in prison?

On balance I think Spain is stuck with the hideous relic. But Franco should go the current state owes him no particular honer amidst the dead soldiers. When Spain buries Juan Negrín next to Fraco I'll call fair. Fraco was despot he at minimum and should be removed. He did not keep Spain out of WW2, only Hitler's unwillingness to sort out all the conflicting demands of Spain, Italy and Vichy did and his hard for a two front war. Franco was hot to join that's a man who does to be there. Or maybe he dose alone with that grotesque monument after everyone else is interned someplace else.

But than again I think is was a grave mistake to allow a confederate memorial at Arlington.
    Ton be fair, that was a better deal then what people in US prisons get. It is not a hideous relic - it is just history. Franco actually did keep Spain out of WW2. Ironically, if commies won the civil war there, Germany would have steamrolled them in 1940 and obviously would make short work out of British to the South, "locking" the Western Mediterranean, giving Axis powers heavier strategic advantage.
    You just seem to express same kind of sentiment that is generally used for barbaric destruction of historical sites. Its a good thing that people who share such opinions are a fringe minority.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

I don't think that the axis had the power to effectively keep Spain under control. In the real timeline they didn't have to bother with it, and still managed to get wrecked. I also am not seeing how it would matter re the med; Britain mostly used airplanes there anyway (which sunk most of the italian fleet, so once again they didn't face any troubles).
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    I don't think that the axis had the power to effectively keep Spain under control. In the real timeline they didn't have to bother with it, and still managed to get wrecked. I also am not seeing how it would matter re the med; Britain mostly used airplanes there anyway (which sunk most of the italian fleet, so once again they didn't face any troubles).
    Locking the strait could play a detrimental role for Allied capabilities in the region. Technically, if it wasn't for Franco, Allies could have lost or war would have ended much differently. Having said that, the above claim made by conon that Franco wanted to join WW2 is hilariously opposite of what happened in reality.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Locking the strait could play a detrimental role for Allied capabilities in the region. Technically, if it wasn't for Franco, Allies could have lost or war would have ended much differently. Having said that, the above claim made by conon that Franco wanted to join WW2 is hilariously opposite of what happened in reality.
    Maybe in the short-term it would have a notable effect. But Britain could bring ships from the other way too (Suez). They also used it in that way during WW2. Now if this was an entirely different timeline, where axis managed to get hold of Suez (which they weren't close to IRL), it would be a bigger problem.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Spain was neutral in the II world war only nominally. Airports and ports were used by the German army, they exploited tungsten mines here, and I am very surprised that you are forgetting the blue division (troops sent by the Francoist government to fight under orders of Hitler, present especially in Ukraine if I'm not mistaken) . You also seem to forget that Spain, just out of an atrocious civil war (three years), did not have much more to offer its natural allies.

Are you debating if the figure of franco was positive for Spain?

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Because he won that war and ruled country for a long period of time.
    Again - I suppose if you like dictators. Put Juan Negrín there and I will buy there is some legitimacy to Fraco there (and also bury every president there). But Franco was not one of the fallen.
    Last edited by conon394; August 27, 2018 at 03:28 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

It is also a curious fact, about the neutrality of that construction, that no president of democracy (40 years) has ever visited that place.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Should Spain deal in a determined way with its fascist past or tolerate the relics of the dictatorship for the sake of preserving social cohesion?
    If you/we are worried about the Spanish social cohesion, it means that the fascist legacy is alive and well.

Franco foundation calls for new 'uprising' in Spain - Catalan News
    With fascist salutes, defenders of Spanish dictator Franco protest plan

Yet, polls suggest that most people in Spain are in favor of removing Franco’s remains from the Valley of the Fallen: 56%. You know perfectly what my answer will be - finally, a sacred cow will be touched, by the hand of Pedro Sanchez. The PSOE is finally changing the things.

As I said before, on 17 June, good news are good news, ​
    The PSOE seeks the Franco Foundation to be banned. It should be known that those who donate money to Foundation are permitted to deduct the value of those donations for tax purposes.
    More,
    Spain to outlaw groups honoring dictator Francisco Franco
    Spain launches truth commission to probe Franco-era crimes

All good news.
    -----
    Sanchez said:"the decision is taken", to transfer the remains of the dictator from his current burial site at the Valley of the Fallen, and have him reinterred elsewhere Spanish PM: “The decision is taken. We will soon exhume Franco's

That being said, the monument will remain untouched.
    This is a monument to all those killed in the conflict, but in fact only two graves are marked: Franco's and that of José Antonio Primo de Rivera, the founder of the Falangist party. In my opinion, for the sake of coherence, Primo de Rivera remains should also be removed.
    Last edited by Ludicus; August 28, 2018 at 03:15 PM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Hmm...

What an odd behavior:

Also, is that woman really wearing a knitted poncho? I mean, I guess I sort of get the other picture with all the guys wearing fruity uniforms. Although I was under the impression that the one upside of being a fascist was wearing a stylish uniform. These guys apparently didn't get the memo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Hmm...

What an odd behavior:

Also, is that woman really wearing a knitted poncho? I mean, I guess I sort of get the other picture with all the guys wearing fruity uniforms. Although I was under the impression that the one upside of being a fascist was wearing a stylish uniform. These guys apparently didn't get the memo.
    Where is that picture from?

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

If there was one thing you could do to push Spanish fascism more radically rightist...
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Citizen

Hmm...
    What an odd behavior:
    Hmm, what? what bothers you? what are you trying to say, exactly? with or without ponchos, with or without military uniforms, they are all fascists.
    Fascism doesn't bother you? aren't you a Jew? General Franco gave list of Spanish Jews to Nazis and you should read about the high degree of Fascist complicity with Nazi Germany and also the widespread confiscation of Jewish property by fascist Italians during the German occupation.

The relevant part is,
    Justice Minister Dolores Delgado,
    It is unacceptable that Spain continues to be second in the world after Cambodia in terms of the number of disappeared people
    swabian
    Instead of asking "where is that picture from", why haven't you followed the link? it says, "Franco supporters still come to the Valley of the Fallen to honor Franco. Above, they make the fascist salute outside the mausoleum".
    Last edited by Ludicus; August 28, 2018 at 04:50 PM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post

swabian

Instead of asking "where is that picture from", why haven't you followed the link? it says, "Franco supporters still come to the Valley of the Fallen to honor Franco. Above, they make the fascist salute outside the mausoleum".
    My problem is that it's obvious and unfunny fake. Call me a humorless German, but i find it rather tasteless. I'm not really complaining, i just want to know where it is from, so that i can project my impotent rage in the right direction. [I consider this to even out the retarded antisemitic and generally racist jokes we used to make more than 25 years ago; yes I am this old]

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    If there was one thing you could do to push Spanish fascism more radically rightist...
    Open you heart and complete the sentence. Everyone (even Nazis) are allowed to post here. Free speech is allowed, you know that.

Quote Originally Posted by swabian View Post
    it's obvious and unfunny fake.
    Ah, "obvious and unfunny fake". Hey Sherlock, explain your tortuous reasoning.
    Charles Péguy

Thomas Piketty

Ah, "obvious and unfunny fake". Hey Sherlock, explain your tortuous reasoning.
    I'm not on a criminal investigation, but you seem to be on one. Not that i cared, but you seem to project that. What i'm doing is ranting and otherwise alien to you. Let's just leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by swabian View Post
    Well the linked website got it from Getty Images, which is a stock photo company, for all those occasions when you really need an image of totally innocuous looking people doing fascist salutes, but just don't happen to have one on hand.

The original is credited to some Faget from Agence France Presse. If it is legit, it's totally surreal.

There are similar images circulating that are certainly less incongruous:

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    As an American, I do find the idea of fighting authoritarianism with authoritarian measures to be a little off, but no more so than knitted poncho wearing fascists. Or is it crochet? Perhaps there's a far right poster better acquainted with needlepoint who could fill us in?

Hmm, what? what bothers you? what are you trying to say, exactly? with or without ponchos, with or without military uniforms, they are all fascists.
    Fascism doesn't bother you? aren't you a Jew? General Franco gave list of Spanish Jews to Nazis and you should read about the high degree of Fascist complicity with Nazi Germany and also the widespread confiscation of Jewish property by fascist Italians during the German occupation.
    What would make you think I'm unfamiliar with any of that? If you don't really understand a post, it's probably best to hold off on making bizarre assumptions.
    Last edited by sumskilz; August 28, 2018 at 06:55 PM. Reason: illegibility
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I don't think the bodies should be moved. As it is the mausoleum is a monument to the Civil War, the cancerous ideologies that caused and the horror that followed it. In fact I would go one step further and bury Franco's victims there, if possible. If they are moved it will remain a monument to the Civil War, and once the Civil War is forgotten (and it will be) then it will be just a monument.

Simply put, having one of the worst dictators in Spanish history buried there gives it a greater staying power and keeps it in people's minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    So? Culture is much more than buildings

True, but buildings are very often the only legacy of the culture that built them.

Hmm...
    Spain is coming out of a horrible recession and Hugo Boss isn't exactly cheap.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; August 28, 2018 at 06:22 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Citizen

Well the linked website got it from Getty Images, which is a stock photo company, for all those occasions when you really need an image of totally innocuous looking people doing fascist salutes, but just don't happen to have one on hand
    Oh come on, there are a lot of images on hand of "innocuous people doing fascist salutes"

------

If you don't really understand a post
    I understand you very well.
    Charles Péguy

Thomas Piketty

I understand you very well.
    Well then, how about explaining what it is you "understand very well" about sumskilz?

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    Well then, how about explaining what it is you "understand very well" about sumskilz?
    I'm not talking with you - and sumskilz doesn't need your help.
    --
    Btw, an amazing an amazing collection of - Francisco Franco Stock Photos and Pictures | Getty Images
    Charles Péguy

Thomas Piketty