Thread: {DIK}A journey now ends..

Aneirin's Avatar of flowing verse

Default {DIK}A journey now ends..

Hello dear fans, fellow modders and TWC-Community,

well, it has been quite a journey since I set out to work on the Italian Wars back in 2012.
    I learnt a lot about modding, managing projects, rage attacks cos the code was not working, 3D and 2D modelling and many other skills,
    which I'll never want to miss.

Sadly though, this must be the end of my journey and with it, for Italian Wars, too.
    My reallife has changed rapidly during the last months and I am now about to found a company.
    That takes a lot of time and effort, which sadly leaves no time for modding at all..

So I am here to announce that the pre-release of Italian Wars - Ultimate will be on next Friday, 31th of August.

Better mark that date in your calender

Also I'd like to very much say thank you to my fellow travellers,
    without them there would have never been an Italian Wars as it is today.
    First of all Vlad Tepes who allowed me to carry on his initial project Italian Wars (Die Italienischen Kriege 1.0), but also supported me through out the work on version 2.0-3.3.1. There is of course Iskar, without him you guys probably would not have as many events as you have now in the Italian Wars. Besides he was a merciless bug hunter and 'pain in the arse', who helped me expand and reach out far beyond my thought humble possibilities and skills
    The thing about modding, all people just awe about the outcome, shiny new models, all that stuff, but never appreciate the actual hard work behind all this. There is no reward or appreciation on those people's work. No matter how essential it is. Luckily, I had Malborough and Morifea with me who supported me in all this minor tasks and worked as hard as anyone else, even harder, so that Italian Wars could see the light of day.
    Of course there are many others, who helped me to set out on the right path.
    Thank you very much to all of you!

Well, enough bla bla..

See you next week!
    Aneirin
    Last edited by Aneirin; August 23, 2018 at 04:19 PM.
    Proud son of Aikanár and brother of Iskar

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: {DIK}A journey now ends..

Hi Aenerin,
    first - thanks in advance for the mod (and thanks for all your work during these years, also on the In Nomine Dei).
    second - I fully understand your lack of time and need to devote to your RL project.
    third - I'd be happy to play the mod even in the pre-release form. However, every mod contains a few bugs that are discovered after the release. The post-release help of the creator of the mod is badly needed as only he knows in-and-outs of the mod. Some bugs may require much work to be fixed, but most of them are simple - for the creator. So: would be able to provide the help with the second sort of the bugs: the small ones. It would require little time of yours, but would make a huge difference for the players?
    fourth - this is very sad that many great mods remain unfinished. I actually find it the biggest problem of the TWC community. So much work went into Chivalry II: Sicilian Vespers, Deus Lo Vult, Broken Crescent, Titanium etc. The creators disappear and then nobody is using their work. Sometimes there's no clear situation if somebody is allowed to use the work. Some mods were developed by submods-to-the-submods. It's not the best way. For instance, I've always wanted the Buff&Shine submod to the Broken Crescent to be named Broken Crescent 3.0. It deserves it. I hope you'd take into account that somebody might finish your mod.
    five - well, maybe you'll come back after a few months or years to the M2TW? Why to say it's end of the journey? Long breaks are possible, and coming back may be very fun. Having seen the recent TW games, I think the M2TW is going to stay with us for a few years more - it provides a different experience than R2TW-DEI or ATW-AE. I doubt the Three Kingdoms will replace it. So a come back might be possible, mightn't.
    cheers
    JoC

Hey Jurand,

thank you, very appreciated!

As for your questions:

- Support: I am aware that there might be several bugs with this version of the mod, since the testing was very brief. As for the support to fix those issues I cannot promise to find the time to do so. I'll try nevertheless, because I know how frustrating it can be for players

- Usage of material: I've already written a kind of policy for that, here. Though, I will make up my mind about how my work may be finished. I'll probably assemble some kind of package with all the incomplete scripts and ideas etc. We shall see

As for my return, you may be right about not being 'The end' of my modding career, but it will be for quite a while. That's for sure.

Anyhow, I have to thank you as well, for supporting me with your improvements on the trait-system in the pre-release version!

Cheers,
    Aneirin

Antonius's Avatar Decanus
    Europe - Britain, Austria, Italy, Belgium....

Quote Originally Posted by Aneirin View Post

well, it has been quite a journey since I set out to work on the Italian Wars back in 2012.
    I learnt a lot about modding, managing projects, rage attacks cos the code was not working, 3D and 2D modelling and many other skills,

Sadly though, this must be the end of my journey and with it, for Italian Wars, too.
    My reallife has changed rapidly during the last months and I am now about to found a company.
    That takes a lot of time and effort, which sadly leaves no time for modding at all..

So I am here to announce that the pre-release of Italian Wars - Ultimate will be on next Friday, 31th of August.

First of all Vlad Tepes who allowed me to carry on his initial project Italian Wars (Die Italienischen Kriege 1.0), but also supported me through out the work on version 2.0-3.3.1. There is of course Iskar, without him you guys probably would not have as many events as you have now in the Italian Wars. Besides he was a merciless bug hunter and 'pain in the arse', who helped me expand and reach out far beyond my thought humble possibilities and skills
    The thing about modding, all people just awe about the outcome, shiny new models, all that stuff, but never appreciate the actual hard work behind all this. There is no reward or appreciation on those people's work. No matter how essential it is. Luckily, I had Malborough and Morifea with me who supported me in all this minor tasks and worked as hard as anyone else, even harder, so that Italian Wars could see the light of day.

Well, enough bla bla..

See you next week!
    Aneirin
    Dear Aneirin,

Thank you for your hard and amazing work and the the countless hours of fun, relaxation you have given me and 1000s of others - as well as a reason to read up on a fascinating aspect of European history. Also: Rest assured that most of us are well aware of the hard work and time you put into this, and the understanding that underneath the shiny surface of a finished mod there are countless hours of frustration, problems, troubleshooting, unexplained bugs etc. My modding skills are limited, so I am not sure I will be able to help with any bug fixes, however if you do need help, I will do my best.

I wish you all the best with your company and any other projects, if you put in the same diligence and competence, I am sure they will be successful.

And again: Thank you.
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them.
    ~Alfred Adler

PeaMan's Avatar Winter Is Coming

Thanks for all your hard work on TIW Aneirin and wish you all the best in your endevors!

I just discovered this mod a few weeks ago. I can't imagine all the hard work that went into it. Congratulations on your new job and I wish you the best of luck. As a sidenote, will there be anyone still monitoring the bug report forums? Thanks again for making such a work of art.

Well, enough bla bla..

See you next week!
    Aneirin
    Will release it today?

Quote Originally Posted by Antonius View Post
    Dear Aneirin,

Thank you for your hard and amazing work and the the countless hours of fun, relaxation you have given me and 1000s of others - as well as a reason to read up on a fascinating aspect of European history. Also: Rest assured that most of us are well aware of the hard work and time you put into this, and the understanding that underneath the shiny surface of a finished mod there are countless hours of frustration, problems, troubleshooting, unexplained bugs etc. My modding skills are limited, so I am not sure I will be able to help with any bug fixes, however if you do need help, I will do my best.

I wish you all the best with your company and any other projects, if you put in the same diligence and competence, I am sure they will be successful.

And again: Thank you.
    Cheers mate
    Your nice words are very appreciated! As for the bug support I'll try to stick around to help you guys

Quote Originally Posted by PeaMan View Post
    Thanks for all your hard work on TIW Aneirin and wish you all the best in your endevors!
    Thank's PeaMan!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal0216 View Post
    I just discovered this mod a few weeks ago. I can't imagine all the hard work that went into it. Congratulations on your new job and I wish you the best of luck. As a sidenote, will there be anyone still monitoring the bug report forums? Thanks again for making such a work of art.
    As I said, I'll try to be around to lend a hand

Quote Originally Posted by HuoShan View Post
    Will release it today?
    Yes, it will be released today. Just give me some time to set everything up

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Dear Aneirin, or whatever you want to be called- I can't even remember your former user name, but I still know your real name I was happy to find out that you've released a final version of this brilliant mod and it is being installed on my computer as we speak. Every mod comes to a natural end, and it is amazing enough that you have come so far with such a small team so many years after MTW2's original release. I can only thank you for your hard work and can guarantee you that it was always fun to help you out with research, too- I learned quite a bit! Now I am just looking forward to enjoying this masterpiece of a formerly neglected period in TW games, and I hope to see you around anyway
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

Im sad to hear this friend, you have made a great mod!

And indeed sadly people go for eye candy when it is the codes and scripts which make the mod really stand out.

Centenarius

Thank you very much for the release, Aneirin, good luck for your RL!
    Temporarily retired from modding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mausolos of Caria View Post
    Dear Aneirin, or whatever you want to be called- I can't even remember your former user name, but I still know your real name I was happy to find out that you've released a final version of this brilliant mod and it is being installed on my computer as we speak. Every mod comes to a natural end, and it is amazing enough that you have come so far with such a small team so many years after MTW2's original release. I can only thank you for your hard work and can guarantee you that it was always fun to help you out with research, too- I learned quite a bit! Now I am just looking forward to enjoying this masterpiece of a formerly neglected period in TW games, and I hope to see you around anyway
    My former user name was Neadal, I still use it on the German fora. I am glad you still recall my name Well, yes you have been an incredible asset and resource of information, especially on the minor Italian factions! Thank's for your praise, mate! Very appreciated! I hope I can come back some day and finish this project. But I fear that won't happen..

Quote Originally Posted by Hrobatos View Post
    Im sad to hear this friend, you have made a great mod!

And indeed sadly people go for eye candy when it is the codes and scripts which make the mod really stand out.
    Thank you Hrobatos! I am so sorry not being able to help you on your very own mod.... I hope you guys get the job done! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you
    Since I am not quite an artist it was the only way to get first attention to the mod. Which was in version 2 to 3.3.1. That attracted luckily some guys capable of handling 3D and 2D arts. In the end, do what you do best, someone will lend you a hand in the end

Quote Originally Posted by Warcrafthero View Post
    Thank you very much for the release, Aneirin, good luck for your RL!
    You are welcome! Have fun!

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

My former user name was Neadal, I still use it on the German fora. I am glad you still recall my name Well, yes you have been an incredible asset and resource of information, especially on the minor Italian factions! Thank's for your praise, mate! Very appreciated! I hope I can come back some day and finish this project. But I fear that won't happen..
    Yes I remember it because I still have you on facebook I think Oh yes, Neadal, of course! It was unique since I never knew where it might be from, so I should have really remembered it.

You are welcome, I am glad that I was able to contribute my part to this wonderful mod Good luck with everything!
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Good luck with your company man!

Thank you for all this

And best of luck and wishes to your company Aneirin.