Thread: Totally new to EB - Trying to figure out which version to play

Laetus

Default Totally new to EB - Trying to figure out which version to play

I'm so glad this mod is still available to download and still has an active community discussing it. A great big thanks to everyone who developed the mod.

A few weeks back I downloaded and installed EB for the first time using the instructions I found here (v1.2 and a few fixes installed with RTW v1.5) : https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...shots-provided
    I haven't played a Total war game since 2013 when I was still playing the Stainless Steel mod for Med II, this mod has blown me away and has captivated me almost as much as the originals did back when I first tried them!

So, my question now. Having done some reading it seems their are a few versions of EB available. 1.2, 1.3a/b/C etc and some submod compilations. I have no idea which version I ought to be playing for the best experience. I have both RTW Barbarian Invasion and the Alexander expansion, though I haven't reinstalled them this time round. So, which options would you guys recommend and where can I find the files and instructions needed to use them?

Tha ks in advance for any help I might get!

Default Re: Totally new to EB - Trying to figure out which version to play

Hi ARK93, and a warm welcome into EB!

Currently there's a lot of work going on for a new EB release (1.3), but I honestly can't tell when 1.3 would be ready. For the moment, I'd suggest you to stick to version 1.2 with the related fixes: it's certain you're going to have a wonderful experience!

As for submods, I'd recommend:

1) Force Diplomacy mod, if you're having problems in dealing with the notoriously braindead AI;

2) Watchtower to Village mod, to improve the appearance of your campaign map;

3) Darth's AI Formations mod, to make the AI deploy in better formations.

Maybe I'll get to other suggestions, for the moment that's what came to my mind.

Anyway, good luck for your EB campaigns and battles! If you ever want to try multiplayer, feel free to contact me or to visit the blog and the website.

Cheers!

mephiston

Turek's Avatar Foederatus

Currently there's a lot of work going on for a new EB release (1.3), but I honestly can't tell when 1.3 would be ready.
    I thought EB 1.31c was released already?

Yes, but as b0Gia stated in the dedicated thread he's now working to a major overhaul of 1.31c, and the new version will be called 1.3.

Turek's Avatar Foederatus

Ah ok I managed to miss it. Good to know.

Fahnat's Avatar Biarchus
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I really like the official release with some submods.
    Weird to say it, but i think i like it better than the Medieval II version. Maybe it's nostalgia.

Laetus

Hi mephiston. Thanks for the reply. Sorry I didn't respond sooner, actually thought this thread had failed to post until I stumbled across my own question.

I've been loving the mod so far! Haven't been able to put as much time into it as I would like but getting some way through a romani campaign. Particularly enjoying the way the mod allows me to use my family members more realisticly, filling appropriate roles according to their rank, age, status and personality. The new units are a blast too and AI armies seem remarkably well balanced compared to vanilla Rome. Looking forward to rejigging my armies when I hit the polybian reforms.

I guess I'll stick with 1.2 for now. I've downloaded Force Diplomacy and will definitely look into the AI formation mod, so thanks for that idea.

My only real niggle with the version I'm currently playing is a total lack of naval invasions, it almost renders fleets obsolete, certainly for defense purposes. Am I right in thinking this is different if playing a version of EB with Alexander installed? I've also read that the Alexander version encourages the AI to group forces into fewer, larger armies. These are my motivations for seeking out a working Alexander version of the mod.

Am I right in thinking the version 1.3 seen herehttp://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...31c-Rreleased! is to be downloaded and installed on a vanilla Rome v1.5 and that 1.31c is a version designed to run with Alexander installed so you can make use of these new AI features?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions but I'm several years out of the loop here!

I'll look forward to the new version when it gets its release!

As for multiplayer, I'd love to but sadly don't have any Internet set up at home besides my mobile data. When I sort something more suitable I might get back in touch.

Thanks again for the help you've already given me.

Some say playing with BI helps with naval warfare, but still the AI would just ship tiny armies all over the place, making the whole matter even messier than it already is.
    Alexander helps also with the AI behaviour in battle, which seems more logical and less suicidal. Note that you need to search for the appropriate threads with the instructions for playing with bi.exe or alex.exe.

Version 1.31c is a overhaul of the original mod: this means you have to choose between 1.2 played on alex.exe (you can do it, just follow the instructions if you find the threads) and 1.31c (which doesn't work with rtw.exe as far as I know). So if you like one of the two versions more, you can just stick to that one and play it on alex.exe in order to have the best AI experience.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask! There is no inherent problem in asking, so don't be scared. I'll try to answer as soon as I can.

Cheers!

Laetus

Cheers Mephiston. That makes things a bit clearer. I'll have to search some of those threads. I think it's definitely worth looking into playing with Alexander.exe. The suicidal AI is making it a little too easy. Enemy generals almost always charge my right flank and get cut to shreds by my samnites and second unit of generals bodyguard.

Thanks again. I'll be in touch about multilayer if I manage to get this game ruining on a reliable PC and sort some home Internet.

ARK93, the RTW AI in general isn't really designed to do naval invasions. You might get a few from time to time on BI, but on Rome and Alex it will practically never happen unless the AI has absolutely no other route for expansion. If regular naval invasions are important to you the only option is to move to the M2TW engine. The EB II team have done a great job with the second generation of the mod. Naval invasions are very frequent and it's also good if you care about having a good AI. The RTW AI is hardcoded unfortunately but the M2TW AI is moddable to an extent, and the EB II team have done a lot of work to improve it.

Laetus

Cheers BHL 20.

I certainly plan on playing EBII in the future but right now I only have my partners laptop to game with. I plan on getting M2TW reinstalled because I'd like to give Stainless Steel another go too. And I've been meaning to try Third Age too. Lots of Total War still to try thanks to the hard work of all the mod creators out there!

Quote Originally Posted by ARK93 View Post
    Cheers Mephiston. That makes things a bit clearer. I'll have to search some of those threads. I think it's definitely worth looking into playing with Alexander.exe. The suicidal AI is making it a little too easy. Enemy generals almost always charge my right flank and get cut to shreds by my samnites and second unit of generals bodyguard.

Thanks again. I'll be in touch about multilayer if I manage to get this game ruining on a reliable PC and sort some home Internet.
    If you'll ever manage to jump into multiplayer, you'll see this is not the case when you're playing against another human...

On a side note, multiplayer is designed to work with rtw.exe, so just EB version 1.2: keep that in mind if you get the chance to set your game and your Internet.

Civis

Mephiston, what about 'Alexander EB' by Maksimus? Do you recommend that submod?

If you want to play EB 1.2 on ALEX engine, sure. I think there's no other way to do it.

As I said before, on the other hand you need rtw.exe to play multiplayer, so unless you plan to stick to single player for a reasonable time that submod might not be the best idea. I don't play SP anymore, so I never installed it because I like MP more