Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nine Years War submod ideas thread (Update 06/08/2019)

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Default Nine Years War submod ideas thread (Update 06/08/2019)

So I have been working on a submod to cover the Nine Years War 1688-97, which is also known as the War of the Grand Alliance and the War of the League of Augsburg. Before then I welcome ideas you might have on what I should include. At present I am not able to mod the tech tree, though I intend to do so in future after studying Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's modding of the tech tree in one of his mods which I think is a submod of Imperial Splendour.

Update: Work in progress video added (06/08/2019):

The NYW is especially interesting because:

- France had no allies apart from the Jacobites, supporters of the exiled Catholic English King James II. Previously they could pick off some of the Protestant German states as in the Thirty Years War who saw them as allies against Habsburg centralism in Germany. But after the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes, which banned Protestantism in France and set off a wave of Huguenot emigration (perhaps 400,000), that was no longer possible at this time. Sweden was part of the Grand Alliance against France until 1691, before agreeing with Denmark that both would stay out of the war.

- Some countries have by now abandoned the pike (Denmark, Saxony, Bavaria and possibly Poland-Lithuania). But the rest have not quite yet (Venice and Savoy did in 1690). France and Spain entered with the war with armoured pikemen, but Spain abandoned pike-armour in 1690, but not yet the pike itself. Austria kept the pike until 1699 (around the time it adopted the bayonet).

- Armour is in decline but not everywhere. The British still have cuirassiers but after 1688, most cavalry is unarmoured. The Danes abandoned cuirassiers in the 1670s. In contrast, Austrian and Bavarian cavalry look like English civil war cavalry with lobster helmet, cuirass and sometimes buffcoat. Some Austrian dragoons (such as the 9th regiment) wear armour, while others e.g. Lowenthal regt, do not. The hussars do not wear armour. Spain has some cuirassiers from its Italian possessions e.g. Milan and German mercenaries, but most of its cavalry no longer use armour. The vast majority of French cavalry (except the Cuirassiers du Roi) are unarmoured.

- In Spanish-America, the pike disappears around 1690. The French likewise do not use it. Its possible English colonial militias still used it including at Quebec in 1690. Dutch colonists use the flintlock musket, while the Spanish colonists still use the matchlock and perhaps even the arquebus, and their cavalry uses the lance and wears buffcoats in the style of Thirty Years War. Sword and buckler men are used as late as the 18th century in Spanish-America.

- The mix of matchlock and flintlock. England entered the war mainly armed with matchlocks, but by 1693 mostly used flintlocks. France was only 50% through phasing out matchlocks at this time, in part because some commanders considered it less reliable. Denmark abandoned the matchlock since the Scanian War of the 1670s. Sweden has a mix of both until 1698 as do the Dutch. Austria didn't make serious use of the flintlock (except for cavalry and grenadiers) until around the War of the Spanish Succession.

- Artilery is now lighter because of new casting techniques and so horse artillery is now available.

- The paper cartridge has made the musket faster (maybe 10-15 seconds) by removing the requirement for a musketeer to measure the amount of gunpowder he needs to pour into the gun.

---

So I will try to incorporate this into the mod but I'm open to suggestions. In particular I would like to know more about Brandenburg-Prussian uniforms and whether they still used cuirassiers in this war.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; August 06, 2019 at 02:01 AM.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Default Re: Nine Years War submod ideas thread

I love the idea of this. And it's made me try to find a book on the war I remember reading at some point.

I'd guess Brandenburg-Prussia did have Cuirassiers, based on me having memories of them being fielded in the 30 Years War and I think Frederick the Great removed them. If he did, they were given back, only to be removed again from them during the Napoleonic Wars.

Russia was not involved in this war but nonetheless I am trying to reflect what we know of the relative undocumented army of this part of the 17th century. There are already a number of Russian units in the released mod, based on the 1670 uniforms, but most of this army was disbanded by Peter after Sophia's failed coup in 1682.

Lefort Regiment (Russia). Note the combination of eastern and western clothing styles. So they wore a justacorp coat, but with Russian style caps. This unit was probably raised around 1691 for General Franz Lefort, a Genevan of Huguenot descent. The regiment had 12000 men, including 300 Huguenots and many Scots:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; October 19, 2018 at 12:51 PM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Further improvements aside, a version that actually has recruit-able units would be great to see. Factions are missing units in the MP/CB roster.
    For example, Austria can recruit 6-8 different types of pikemen - but not a single Matchlock.

Thanks for feedback.

Work in progress on Petrine boyar cavalry officer. In the 1690s some officers started to dress like their western counterparts e.g. broad brim hat, or tricorne, sometimes justacorp coat instead of Russian caftan coat, while the rank and file still wore the Russian kartuz cap. This model is based on the picture of the Boyar (noble) cavalry officer at Narva in 1700 in the Osprey book on Peter the Greats army 2 (Cavalry). While info on the early Petrine army is sketchy, it does seem it used less cavalry than its western counterparts, possibly because it was largely composed of boyars. The Boyars were divided into Metropolitan cavalry (redcoats and red kartuz caps) and Provincial boyar cavalry (grey caftans and red kartuz caps), both dressed in traditional Russian style, but by the time of Narva, the Metropolitan cavalry coat was slightly westernised. Also most of the Petrine army at the start of the GNW still probably looked like Streltsy in terms of uniforms, though dragoons have more freedom to wear tricornes or kartuz caps.

Last edited by Geronimo2006; November 09, 2018 at 06:02 AM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Late Venetian marines work in progress.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Work in progress. I want to use this model for the Danish general's bodyguard. Got the idea for this model from the Rosenborg tapestries which show men dressed like this around King Christian V during the Scanian War.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.n...BE4720F973ED0/

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Some Bavarian officer works in progress pics attached below. At the start of this war, Bavarians had already introduced blue uniforms, but the officers wore reverse colours until 1694, when they dressed the same as their men. Also they wore breastplates early on. The regiments concerned are (left to right), Rummel regiment, Tattenbach/Preysing Regiment and Steinau Regiment. Some units will have the early tricorne from the Imperial Splendour mod. Credits to the IS3 team.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bavrummelofficere.jpg   bavtattenbachofficere.jpg   steinauofficere.png  
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; January 27, 2019 at 08:07 AM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Update. I've decided to base the French general on this portrait of the Duc de Noailles in 1691. Screenshot of work in progress attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gen.png  

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Work in progress. Bavarian general. According to plates, officers wore breastplates and infantry wore reverse colours until 1694, when they switched over to same colour as their men. There is a plate of Elector Max Emmanuel II dressed this way.

Last edited by Geronimo2006; May 29, 2019 at 09:28 AM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Work in progress (French units). 1st one was raised in 1690 from Swedish POWs. The 2nd were German mercenaries and was originally raised in 1670 as the Furstenberg Regiment.

Regiment de Leisler-Allemand:

Regiment de Greder-Allemand.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Prince Eugene of Savoy's regiment of dragoons and officer.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Looking good as always!

New Spanish drummer and general models and sample texture work in progress pictures attached. Basing it on sources. Credits to Imperial Splendour team for use of part of their officer model for the drummer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spanishdrummer.png   spanishgeneral.png  
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; June 21, 2019 at 06:03 AM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Left to right: Drummer variant, Spanish cavalry bugler, Spanish militia, Spanish general (based on Count of Clonard's research in 1800s). The militia is based on a picture of the miquelet of Provencano which I found from 1701 (after the NYW but close enough to this period).

Updated (04/07/2019).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spaindrummer.png   spanishbugler.png   spanishmilitia.png   spanishgen.png  
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; July 06, 2019 at 12:40 AM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Default Re: Nine Years War submod ideas thread (Update 06/08/2019)

Some faction flag previews below. Left to right: Brandenburg-Prussia, Irish Jacobites, Sweden, Spain and England. The Jacobite flag is the Earl of Antrim's regiment flag. The Swedish flag is one used in the Scanian War of the 1670s which is the latest I can find. The Spanish flag is one that was certainly used in the Nine Years War. The English flag is the flag of Sir John Hanmers regiment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails prusflag.png   jacobiteflag.png   swflag2.png   spainflag.png   engflag.png  

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Here is a French general's bodyguard, based on a painting of the Battle of Fleurus 1690. The Duke of Luxembourg with bodyguard is in the bottom right hand corner of the painting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails generalsbodyguard.png  

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Great Job Geronimo!!!!!!!! We are looking forward for this!!!

Geronimo have you checked the M2TW With Fire and Sword 1.3 version? It has the entire Europe map plus a Sun King French map campaign. How does it seem to you, since we don't have many Pike and Shot era mods.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast