Thread: Mercian Army

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Default Mercian Army

Gathering at Lincoln

Giffard Contingent
    Led by William Giffard, Earl of Hereford
    +1 Battles, +1 Survival, +1 Charisma, +1 to rout rolls against this character.

Retinues
    25 knights
    75 serjeants

Levies
    25 knights
    50 serjeants
    65 fyrdmen
    65 english footmen
    65 english archers
    50 hobelars

Total: 420
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Default Re: Mercian Army

Rhydian ap Seririol - +1 Battles, +2 Survival
    25 Teulu
    75 Serjeants
    --
    The baron of Lichfield and Stafford arrives with his retinue.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Sir Richard Talbot:
    +2 personal combat
    +1 survival
    +2 battles(earned +1 at First battle of Goodrich)
    +2 wealth
    -1 Charisma
    +5% income

Retinue:
    25 Knights,
    75 Serjeants.

Levy:
    25 Knights,
    25 serjeants,
    40 Fyrdmen,
    45 English footmen,
    50 English Archers,
    25 Hobelars.

Total: 310 men.

Baron Talbot marched his forces into the camp and had them settle in their alloted area. The captain of the guard set up a watch on their perimeter and Lord Talbot made his way towards Lord Giffard.

Retinue:
    25 knights
    75 serjeants

levy:
    18 knights
    27 serjeants
    36 fyrdmen
    36 footmen
    36 archers
    27 hobilars

Total: 280
    Led by Ewias: +2 battles

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

One of the knights approach the Lord Hereford and inform him that due to his duties Hugh can't be present with his host, nonetheless the levy is raised and given free command to Hereford. This as his contribution to his war efforts

26 knights
    40 serjeants
    52 fyrdmen
    72 footmen
    72 archers
    40 Hobelars

302 soldiers
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Edmund Godwinson, Earl of East Anglia (+3 Charisma, +2 Survival, +1 Battles, +1 Personal Combat)

55 huscarls (25 retinue)
    120 thegns (75 retinue)
    60 fyrdmen
    85 English footmen (25 from building)
    85 English archers (25 from building)
    45 hobelars

450 men total

A missive returns from the far north: the Mercian army is advised to march to a fortress in the northern Midlands, perhaps Perceval's seat at Nottingham even, so as to place themselves in a position to block the Danish army's southward march in case the Northern army is defeated yet again. In this same missive Perceval's scribe also notes that the Danish army may be up to eight thousand strong, too powerful for the Mercians to have a hope of defeating head-on, and that the Northerners cannot delay in confronting them once again by waiting for the Mercians to join them directly, for every day that goes by with the Danes in control of York means more soldiers will join their cause from the ranks of the Anglo-Danish population and more of their countrymen will land on the shore to reinforce them.

Citizen

William Giffard was reading the missive from the northern army as Lord Talbot is led into the tent. He looks at it curiously before looking up to see Talbot.

Enter, my Lord Talbot. What can I do for you?

Blog Entries

Talbot entered dressed in the finest military outfit money could buy. In his mind his military prowess projected power and that was all that he could project at this point. Edgar had no liking for him and Giffard could do only so much so his military overtures were the only thing he could do to impress others. Better dress and act like it he thought.

"My lord" Talbot said with the utmost respect for his vassal overlord. "I would wish to inquire what out plan will be at this moment."

Citizen

I have been advised to hold south of York, where we presently are, and await further word.

Giffard sets down the missive before looking up at Talbot.

That is all I can say.

“Will we not fight, Lord? I have to pay a lot of coin to keep the men fed.”

Harold was anxious that this would be another Wales: lots of coin and men wasted for no profit to themselves.

“They may as well be idle in the fields instead of wasting their time here.”

Blog Entries

Talbot nodded accordingly. "Aye, this strains our coffers deeply. We must fight" Talbot was always eager for a fight.

Citizen

A soldier comes in, bearing the reports of scouts sent to York's area. Giffard was pleased with what he saw.

We move now! The Danes are cornered in York. Its time to push them out of the North!

====================================

Orders are given for the army to move from Lincoln to York with news from the scouts.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; August 21, 2018 at 03:11 PM.

Another missive comes in from the north: Giffard is informed that the Danes have been defeated at a second battle about halfway between York and Flaxton, and the time is ripe for him to march north to join Perceval in encircling the Danes at the former before they can retreat. At the time of writing, the Earl of Northumbria had not yet been made aware of Mar's victory at sea - or, obviously, that Giffard was already beginning to move.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    A soldier comes in, bearing the reports of scouts sent to York's area. Giffard was pleased with what he saw.

We move now! The Danes are cornered in York. Its time to push them out of the North!

====================================

Orders are given for the army to move from Lincoln to York with news from the scouts.
    Talbot nodded kindly and moved to prepare his troops.

------------------------

Sometime later while the camp was in full preparation to move Talbot found his way towards the Saxon among the three commanders.
    "Lord Harold" Talbot said as he entered the tent he resided in. "Could I perhaps bother you for a moment of your time during this final preparations for the march." Talbot was kind but wasn;t really asking.

“Lord Talbot.”

Harold was with his squire, the latter assisting his Lord with his jerkin of boiled leather.

“My time is yours. What do you need?”

Blog Entries

Talbot sighed a little before talking. He wasn't terribly at easy with this. For one he has always showed severe loyalty to Giffard but on the other hand he felt action had to be taken.

"Might I inquire what you think of our course of action Lord Harold?" Talbot asked rather carefully, a far cry from his normal style of interaction. Talbot tapped his fingers for a moment before he continued. "Even though we are finally moving I feel we should retaliate towards Waltheof. He has committed unheard of crimes towards peers of the realm." Talbot concluded for now.

”Waltheof is barely above a craven dog. Our lord would be wise to avenge the insult done to both you and himself.”

Harold held no great opinion of the Earl of Northampton. He had maybe even burned their lands on the way home from Wales, for the Welsh were still trapped in the mountains as Giffard’s estate was plundered.

”I wager he had something to do with this waiting, also. Anything to slight Lord Giffard.”
    Last edited by Gandalfus; August 23, 2018 at 01:58 AM.

Blog Entries

Talbot nodded accordingly. It would seem like Harold and Richard(I think thats Talbot's name) were of same mind.
    "Aye!" Talbot yelled silently. "I agree whole heatedly" he quickly added on a more calm tone. Talbot cocked his head left and right, clearing his neck pain for a moment. "I am of the opinion that we should burn and pillage this cowards estates. Retaliate a thousand fold for what he has done to us." Talbot spoke with a particular fury now. He was dead set on getting his revenge.

Citizen

Lord Giffard gathers his men to depart south from York and send his troops back home. However, the path he told Talbot and Harold to take, since he would be needed in London, took them right through the heart of Waltheof's lands in the south. He did not even need to give them the order, the movement of the troops through those lands was sign enough that Giffard did not forget what Waltheof did to his own lands. They would make south and William would, gladly, turn a blind eye to what happened next.