Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EB 2.3 Pontus Let's Play

Default EB 2.3 Pontus Let's Play

A huge thanks to the dev team for this mod. Haven't played EB 2 since several builds ago, so if the mods will allow it. I have started a Pontic Let's play campaign.

Feel free to check it out here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EmC...ature=youtu.be

Rosbjerg's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: EB 2.3 Pontus Let's Play

Interesting - but as a commenter said on youtube, you should turn down the game volume, it was pretty hard hearing your over the generals yelling

Those two battles show quite clearly the strengths and weaknesses of a largely eastern unit army. In the open field, your infantry have javelins and speed, which combined with cavalry cause real problems for the enemy. By contrast, the same force deployed against Greek units in the confines of city streets loses almost all it's advantages. There was a reason that eastern kings liked to recruit mercenary Greek units, and you'd be well advised to increase the number of Greek infantry units in your siege assault forces. Notice that even though they bore the brunt of wall and street fighting, your mercenary hoplites were relatively intact at battle's end - the only unit you could say that about.

During the pre-battle unit deployment phase, you should also make use of the "group" button for units of a particular type (and battle deployment location) so it's easier to know which units are in which part of the battle, plus you can give the whole group an order without having to drag a box around them every time.

And NEVER send a unit to a new location by asking it to pass through a fighting enemy unit. That's usually a recipe for disaster, as your troops lose cohesion and get slaughtered while trying to march past the enemy swords. That's one reason why all your skirmisher cav units were wiped out (although they also spent too much time in hand-to-hand combat with spearmen).
    EBII Council

Quote Originally Posted by Rosbjerg View Post
    Interesting - but as a commenter said on youtube, you should turn down the game volume, it was pretty hard hearing your over the generals yelling
    Noted. I will look at recording part 2 later today. I'll give the sound options a tweak before I do. Cheers for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    Those two battles show quite clearly the strengths and weaknesses of a largely eastern unit army. In the open field, your infantry have javelins and speed, which combined with cavalry cause real problems for the enemy. By contrast, the same force deployed against Greek units in the confines of city streets loses almost all it's advantages. There was a reason that eastern kings liked to recruit mercenary Greek units, and you'd be well advised to increase the number of Greek infantry units in your siege assault forces. Notice that even though they bore the brunt of wall and street fighting, your mercenary hoplites were relatively intact at battle's end - the only unit you could say that about.

During the pre-battle unit deployment phase, you should also make use of the "group" button for units of a particular type (and battle deployment location) so it's easier to know which units are in which part of the battle, plus you can give the whole group an order without having to drag a box around them every time.

And NEVER send a unit to a new location by asking it to pass through a fighting enemy unit. That's usually a recipe for disaster, as your troops lose cohesion and get slaughtered while trying to march past the enemy swords. That's one reason why all your skirmisher cav units were wiped out (although they also spent too much time in hand-to-hand combat with spearmen).
    I've been playing Total War since the original Shogun, and I've never really been a fan of the whole grouping units thing unless moving the whole army in unison. But your definitely right about your observation with the 2 battle types. Absolutely slaughtered them in the field. I was certain I had lost the siege, but that last units of hoplites and phalangites held the line long enough to snatch the victory. That said as I said at the start of the video, it will take a session or two and a few battles for me to figure out what works best in each individual scenario, still relatively new to EB 2 and it's mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    Those two battles show quite clearly the strengths and weaknesses of a largely eastern unit army.
    The feeling is even more pronounced in my Indian campaign. I have millions of lightly armored men surrounding the rock stars of my army -- the elephants and chariots. It felt like in Starcraft where I have the zerglings supporting my Ultralisks....

I hope the Indian light infantry have a good replenishment rate, would like to just spam that naked canon fodder and swarm my enemies with human wave like zerglings...

Jolly good, someone doing a LP of my favorite faction
    You might find this thread useful sir
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Campaign-Help
    Good luck

PS: hope i'm not influencing you but i always did a Persian Empire reconstruction, i'm mad about the Persians
    Last edited by Cultist; August 14, 2018 at 12:29 AM.
    All life is problem solving ~ Karl Popper

Unfortunately the game crashed at the end of the first session before I could save it. I also assume that the dev team has disabled the auto save feature because IIRC it was known to be buggy in M2TW. So I had to start again, so this episode will be called ep1A. Either or I had the same result and the save was successful.

Episode 1A is live. Watch it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8fX...ature=youtu.be

My autosave works fine, and the game has been (relatively) stable. Perhaps you could just turn the feature back on?

Quote Originally Posted by Revan The Great View Post
    My autosave works fine, and the game has been (relatively) stable. Perhaps you could just turn the feature back on?
    The autosave works after I have made an actual save.

Trapezous has insulted us by refusing our diplomats and an offer of submission. Episode 2 is now live.

Watch it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWg5eH6Ze8A

Often the crushes can occur immediately after the battle, that is if you live battle too soon after the battle result screen. It is better to spend some time at the battle result screen before clicking OK button. This would give computer an additional time prepare to load into RAM the stratmap.

And yes, doing research on memory solutions helps alot too.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; August 16, 2018 at 05:18 AM.

Rosbjerg's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blob View Post
    And yes, doing research on memory solutions helps alot too.
    This cannot be understated - many old games become very unstable on modern systems. EBII crashed every 5-6 turns or every 1-2 hours before I remembered do some research on memory solutions.
    Afterwards, not a single crash.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; August 16, 2018 at 05:18 AM.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Rosbjerg View Post
    This cannot be understated - many old games become very unstable on modern systems. EBII crashed every 5-6 turns or every 1-2 hours before I remembered to do some research on memory solutions.
    Afterwards, not a single crash.
    I think it should go to the "technical faq" section, but my experience is slightly different - after the last year Win10 update I experience crashes very rarely. Does anybody knows if memory research is still needed now?
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; August 16, 2018 at 05:19 AM.

I have my settings turned pretty low, but I typically only crash when I do something like go in and out of menus a lot, or occasionally during an end turn. Nothing major, in other words.

I haven’t applied the researched memory fixes, though I suppose it wouldn’t hurt.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; August 16, 2018 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revan The Great View Post
    I have my settings turned pretty low, but I typically only crash when I do something like go in and out of menus a lot, or occasionally during an end turn. Nothing major, in other words.
    Thats same for me. Nowadays I only crash at menu screens, after each click there is a chance of crash, especially after spending a few minutes at these screens.

My fixes were the large address aware and disabling auto save.

Thanks for the performance advice, I'll figure it out. Cheers. D.U.G.

Our army has betrayed us along with it's general, the kingdom is almost defenceless. We are hurrying to install our government infrastructure along with economic expansion so we can field a larger more powerful army and bring this traitorous rabble to justice...

Episode 3 is now live. Watch it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ICA...ature=youtu.be

As a reminder, TWC policy is that discussion of LAA is restricted to generalities. If somebody is having periodic crashes, please direct them to this thread. Thanks.
    EBII Council

A new army has been mustered. It's time to march again...

Episode 4 is now Live. Watch it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4on...ature=youtu.be

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast