Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Estates of Perceval of Oakham

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Default Estates of Perceval of Oakham

Roger Perceval, second son of the Earl of Nottingham and former ward of Gerold of Gloucester, found himself being elevated to Baron of Rutland thanks to his guardian's pull with King Edgar. Alas, young Roger also found himself maimed for life and his bride shipped off to the court of the man who crippled him not long after his assumption of the Rutland estates.

Household
    Roger Perceval

Spouse: Maria Bageard (17, betrothed)
    Traits: 6 pts
    +3 Personal Combat (can only fight on horseback due to injury)
    +2 Battles
    +1 Charisma

Temperaments:
    - Impulsive: This character acts before (sometimes, without) thinking. They might move and decide more quickly than others, but their recklessness can lead them to disaster as well. +5% movement speed, -1 to detection rolls.

Provinces
    Rutland:
    Oakham - Average Income (caput)
    Uppingham - Average Income
    Ketton - Average Income

Total income: £900

Levy & retinue
    Levy
    3 provinces x 100 men = 300 men (max potential)

Perceval retinue composition: 25 knights, 75 serjeants

Buildings
    N/A

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Estates of Perceval of Oakham

Sir Walter de Lacy comes to see Roger Perceval. He knew the young man from the war in Wales and remembered he suffered an ugly injure during the last battle, as well as his wife now as a prisoner at the court of the Welsh king.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Lacy is shown into the main hall, where Roger (and lunch) awaits. Though still quite young and fresh-faced, like an old man the Baron of Rutland needs a cane to walk now, and the wooden staff indeed rests against the central table in a place where he could easily grab it in his right hand.

"Sir Perceval"

Said the younger Lacy respectfully. Like the man before him Walter appeared young and fresh faced, despite being some years older than Roger.

"I came to inquire after your health....... as a friend if i may" He was under the impression the wound Roger received in Wales was not the one to subside quickly. Walter pitied the man, especially so with his wife send away as prisoner.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

"Oh I'm about as good as I can get with my leg still being a mangled mess, Sir Lacy." Roger grumbled. "As you can plainly see, life has not been kind to me these past few years. All that bloody time in Wales with nothing to show for it but a bad leg, and on top of that my betrothed has been sent to the court of Gwent as a hostage." He should have opposed Mar taking command, in hindsight, even if he wasn't nearly as experienced and realistically probably would have made similar mistakes, not that he'd admit it to himself. Giffard perhaps could've done better than either of them, but then hindsight was 20/20 and it was not possible for him to go back in time to warn his past self.

"Oh, how terrible that is."

Walter praised himself lucky he had received no wounds and avoided capture during the long campaign. The campaign he felt that was useless in the end and brought nothing but senseless death.

"This campaign was a mistake, so many good Christians dead, and nothing to show for it, don't you agree?." It seemed so futile now, he wished it had never happened now.

For his part the younger Lacy was different to his older brother and sister. He wasn't blonde nor blue eyed but he was brown haired, with eyes as dark as the night.

"But you fought well and honorable at least."
    Perceval's flank had done well. Lacy himself saw little fighting.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

"Well, thank you." Perceval grunted, nodding gratefully. "It was a mistake, yes. A grave one, to be sure. But as my brother would say, we must move ever onward with our lessons learned. The past won't change no matter how much we dwell on what-ifs, after all." The redheaded young baron stretched his arms. "And just moping about it won't get us anywhere in life. As far as I'm concerned, the first step of my 'moving forward' entails getting my bride back from the clutches of Caradog." Maimed he might be, but he'll be damned if he were to lose his prospective wife on top of Llanfair's keep and his leg.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Some time after the events in Wales Mar arrives to discus things with Roger Perceval.

Mar is allowed in. Despite his frustration with the man's orders dooming the southern Welsh expedition and costing Roger himself gravely, the Baron of Oakham meets him in the manor's main hall, where supper has been prepared for the two lords.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    "Well, thank you." Perceval grunted, nodding gratefully. "It was a mistake, yes. A grave one, to be sure. But as my brother would say, we must move ever onward with our lessons learned. The past won't change no matter how much we dwell on what-ifs, after all." The redheaded young baron stretched his arms. "And just moping about it won't get us anywhere in life. As far as I'm concerned, the first step of my 'moving forward' entails getting my bride back from the clutches of Caradog." Maimed he might be, but he'll be damned if he were to lose his prospective wife on top of Llanfair's keep and his leg.
    "Yes........, that is so." He conceded the point, the past can't be changed.

Walter was not a man of much words so a short period of silence filled the room between them.

"....What will you do then...?" He'd finally found the right words. Walter himself wasn't a big talker, he didn't inspire much confidence either being but small and thinly build.

Veritas Temporis Filia

"Roger," he says glancing down at the mans leg. "I am truly sorry to hear about your leg." There was a note of genuine sadness in his voice and he glanced down ashamed. "You are paying for my conceit." he sighs shaking his head. His father wouldn't of made such a mistake.

"So I am." Roger answered the man who he'd spent a few of his teen years growing up with bitterly, shaking his head. "This is your fault, Mar. Would that God decreed you should suffer this for your folly rather than pile it on my shoulders, or leg as the case might be..." Still grumbling under his breath, he pushed himself up from his chair and began to pace on his cane, face still turned away from the Earl of Gloucester. "But I assume you didn't come here to bear my anger. What is it you want?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary The Quene View Post
    "Yes........, that is so." He conceded the point, the past can't be changed.

Walter was not a man of much words so a short period of silence filled the room between them.

"....What will you do then...?" He'd finally found the right words. Walter himself wasn't a big talker, he didn't inspire much confidence either being but small and thinly build.
    "Ride to Caerleon's gates and drive a lance through that bastard Caradog's head myself, if I have to." At the thought, Roger smiled wryly. "I can still ride a horse, after all. But more realistically, probably wait for Mar of Gloucester to pay Maria's ransom and retrieve her from the clutches of the Welsh. Marry her, bed her, pray to the Lord for healthy children, and help my father and brother against the Danes if I can." His tenants had been raised too long by the end of the Welsh campaign, and went home shortly after their final defeat. They would not answer any summons to war this day or the next to be sure, like any other mortal they needed time to rest before even considering picking up the sword and ax at Roger's call.
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; August 14, 2018 at 08:14 PM.

"If I could of traded places I would have," Mar said bitterly. The battle had been a mistake through and through, but Edgar had been right nothing to do about it now. Move on and continue. "Still you are right. I came to discuss the marriage to my sister if you still desire such." It had been arranged by his father as with most things. The late Gerold had a head for politics Mar still lacked.

"Of course I still desire such." Perceval replied plainly, back turned to Mar so that he could gaze out the window. The skies overhead were dark and rain was beginning to fall - this being England in springtime, that meant it'd surely pour. "I've already lost potential for land and a good leg in Wales. I don't intend to lose a promised bride as well."

"The Ransom has been fully paid. We can hold the marriage as soon as you are ready." Mar says settling down and turning to the man, "And I can speak on your behalf to the king. " It was the most he could do for the man. He had been wounded greatly. "I have need of good men still as I have been charged of leading the kings navy against the Danes." How the mans leg would fair on a ship deck though that remained to be seen.

"Ride to Caerleon's gates and drive a lance through that bastard Caradog's head myself, if I have to." At the thought, Roger smiled wryly. "I can still ride a horse, after all. But more realistically, probably wait for Mar of Gloucester to pay Maria's ransom and retrieve her from the clutches of the Welsh. Marry her, bed her, pray to the Lord for healthy children, and help my father and brother against the Danes if I can." His tenants had been raised too long by the end of the Welsh campaign, and went home shortly after their final defeat. They would not answer any summons to war this day or the next to be sure, like any other mortal they needed time to rest before even considering picking up the sword and ax at Roger's call.
    "Well then......"

Walter didn't know what he could add at that. Much depended on the ransom paid by Mar then.

"You have my prayers then for her return........" He said after some lengthy pause. Like his father he took a great concern for religion.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Quote Originally Posted by Trot View Post
    "The Ransom has been fully paid. We can hold the marriage as soon as you are ready." Mar says settling down and turning to the man, "And I can speak on your behalf to the king. " It was the most he could do for the man. He had been wounded greatly. "I have need of good men still as I have been charged of leading the kings navy against the Danes." How the mans leg would fair on a ship deck though that remained to be seen.
    "I won't be of much use at the sea, if that's what you're asking." Perceval shook his head, watching as the rain outside turned into a thunderstorm. "It's rather difficult to fight on horseback atop a ship's deck, after all."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary The Quene View Post
    "Well then......"

Walter didn't know what he could add at that. Much depended on the ransom paid by Mar then.

"You have my prayers then for her return........" He said after some lengthy pause. Like his father he took a great concern for religion.
    "Thank you." Roger said dismissively, waving one hand at Walter. "We'll see how things turn out in the coming months, I suspect. Anyway, is that all?" His losses had not made the Baron of Oakham inclined to small talk. Indeed, these days the young man's servants knew full well that he would be irritable when he wasn't plainly melancholic.

"Thank you." Roger said dismissively, waving one hand at Walter. "We'll see how things turn out in the coming months, I suspect. Anyway, is that all?" His losses had not made the Baron of Oakham inclined to small talk. Indeed, these days the young man's servants knew full well that he would be irritable when he wasn't plainly melancholic.
    "I suppose so..." Walter didn't really know what he could further and. And thus if Roger had nothing substantially to add they soon took their farewells and departed.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

"Very well," Mar says a touch awkwardly. "Then the only mater to discuss now is the dowery." He pauses studying the man. "I can offer a 3000 pound dowery." A sizable sum by amy estimation.

"What about 3,500?" Perceval retorted, finally turning to face Mar. He was brother and son both to Earls now, and clearly felt Mar owed him greater compensation for his bum leg.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast