Thread: Edited texures and models don't change?

Default Edited texures and models don't change?

Hi, this has been plaguing my modding process for a long time. It seems that no matter what I change, be it models or textures, none if it is registered by the game. I've been trying to change the colors on some of the units and transferring models form one mod to another for personal use, but when I do nothing change. The units still look the same. I have no idea how the game is able to do this as I have altered the only files where it can draw information about the unit's appearance. Please help, this is very tiring and I have found no answer in the forums.

Default Re: Edited texures and models don't change?

Read, read, read. Tutorials

How are you changing the models and textures, are you modding vanilla RTW or a mod? are you modifying the models and textures themselves or are you adding them in and renaming them and then altering the .txt files accordingly? What exactly are you doing? What tools/programs are you using? be specific.
    Last edited by phylosopher stoned; August 10, 2018 at 08:49 PM.

I have modified the existing models and textures under the same file names, so I shouldn't have to alter the .txt files. I am making personal changes to a mod and I use Photoshop when I edit the files. The problem is that my changes don't register with the mod when I play it. It's like there's some hidden copies of the files that the game/mod insists on using instead of my own. I have the same issue with Medieval 2 Total war and all mods. Even when I switch one texture or model file with another there's no change.

are you saving the texture files in the correct format, I'm not too familiar with photoshop but when using Gimp if you make changes to a texture file and then "save changes" it will automatically save them in .xcf format and they won't be recognized in game. You have to "export" the file in .tga to the original file location and then you can overwrite the existing file. If you are not getting an "overwrite?" popup when you try to export or save your changes, then the original file wont be changed.
    Last edited by phylosopher stoned; August 10, 2018 at 10:45 PM.

are you saving the texture files in the correct format, I'm not too familiar with photoshop but when using Gimp if you make changes to a texture file and then "save changes" it will automatically save them in .xcf format and they won't be recognized in game. You have to "export" the file in .tga and then you can overwrite the existing file. If you are not getting an "overwrite?" popup when you try to export or save your changes, then the original file wont be changed.

Another thing is since you are playing with another mods files, make sure you know the factions internal names. Maybe you change the texture in this line:
    texture dacia, data/models_unit/textures/unit_barb_warband_archer_dacia.tga

because you want to change the Getae archers texture and go in game to the Getae and nothing changes because the Getae are coded as (scythia) internally.

edit: woops, sorry for double post

Yes I have tried that and I get the overwrite because I save it in .tga every time. I have also tried switching one texture with another, the problem still persists. The game just doesn't recognise my changes when it comes to textures and models. It does with everything .txt based. It is really strange and no one else seems to have the same problem.

Can you think of any reason why the changes don't show in-game, despite the fact that I'm apparently doing everything right?

Well, that's the issue, because when I do everything right the changes do show in game. So we have to figure out the step that's wrong or figure out why executable isn't reading the folder you are making changes in. What mod are you modding? Do you use steam? If yes, are you setting the launch options or using a desktop shortcut.

Just to be sure here is how this goes. You go in game find a unit you want to mod, take name of unit, then go in mods "text" folder to export_units.txt. Find the unit you want to mods' internal name. then look up internal name in the descr_model_battle.txt file and find the unit and corresponding location of its texture. go into models_unit folder as indicated in the file path in the dmb file to find the model and/or texture you want to alter? yes?
    Last edited by phylosopher stoned; August 11, 2018 at 06:37 PM.

It's the same with all mods across Rome 1 and Medieval 2 and the vanilla versions. I'm using steam and desktop shortcuts.

Yes I have done all that. Is there something about texture and models that makes the executable read it in a different manner? Because I can paint a unit completely black in Photoshop, save it, and the units still looks the same in the game, as if it draws upon the memory of the original texture file from somewhere else. I can try to edit the files in Gimp, see if that works. Thank you for trying to help.

Yes. All unit textures needs to be saved in .dds format (including the .tga before it). So the actual file name is data/models_unit/textures/unit_barb_warband_archer_dacia.tga.dds

You can use a photoshop plugin to save in dds format, or simply use the DDS converter:

Photoshop plugin: https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-...dobe-photoshop
    DDS Converter: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...do=file&id=362

Do you remove/delete the models_unit_textures.pak file after unpack it?