Thread: SFO - Issue with Chaos (and probably other things too)

Default SFO - Issue with Chaos (and probably other things too)

Hello,

I'm posting here since I couldn't find a proper "main page" for Steel Faith Overhaul mod to post on, so if anyone knows about a better place to open this this thread, please feel free to redirect me.

So, I'm playing as Teclis in ME mode while using Steel Faith Overhaul, VH - VH difficulty. So far, stupendously nice campaign.
    So far.
    That is, until Archaon shows up. I'm having a really, REALLY bad time managing chaos armies (those coming from the south seas are named Chaos Seers). I'm no rookie at all in TW games, but the situation here is embarassing.
    Last, best example: Teclis (level 40, fully equipped and levelled up) and my second general (level 18ish) got almost completely wiped out to get rid of one single stack of Chaos. I mean, chaos' Chosen behave in battle like they're just unstoppable, no matter how many batallions of rank 9 Spearmen I throw at them. I mean, one single group of Chosen wielding two handed axes can swallow around 3 rank 9, fully pumped and upgraded spearmen without breaking a sweat.
    What do you say? Spearmen are not supposed to be able to deal with Chosen? I should use more
    Yeah, I know that too, so I tried throwing at them my current best units, at turn 200ish, the White Lions, backed by armor piercing, friggin' expensive archers (the maidens, or something like that, those implemented in SFO)...wanna guess the outcome? They're EATEN ALIVE even more quickly than the spearmen... :|
    And that's just the tip of it... (I watched speechlessly as two great eagles couldn't route a single Helcannon and got wiped out...)
    And besides, the fact that Chaos invasion have armies show up at your doorstep with 30+ level generals already rolling, well...that doesn't help at all, does it?

I know chaos is meant to be hard, and that HE don't exactly perform nicely against them (lack of AP, affordable ranged units), but I'm really starting to wonder where the catch is, here.
    I mean, what's the point in reaching a level 40 general if then everything turns out to be pointless when Archy shows up? In the last battle I had Teclis throw more than one Soul Quench at two groups of Chosen from the flank, they didn't even FLINCH...
    Some might say "strength is in numbers". Yeah, I agree, but with SFO it's already a miracle I manage to run around with 1 single, best tier units army. Can't afford more than one, the economy rebalancing is MERCILESS, to say the least.

So, complaining and whining apart (bear with me, please), here's the questions:

- is there a "suggested" difficulty level for SFO that balances things, beyond which enemies are just simply, plainly broken? is SFO one of those overhauls suggested to be played at a difficulty not superior than Normal or Hard?
    - thinking ahead while leveling up mages in early campaign to prepare for Chaos in later stages, what do you think is the best choice? What Lore of magic? (I currently got one 30+ light mage and one 20+ Shadow Mage) Do you think I should spec my mages as buffers (light of battle, regen, etc etc...) instead of having them deal damage directly (pendulum, banishment...etc etc)?
    - how do you suggest I should be dealing with this s----storm?

Thanks, as usual

Default Re: SFO - Issue with Chaos (and probably other things too)

Im not sure if You found SFO page yet but be sure to check their reddit discord maybe they will help You there . On steam workshop there is link to patreon and discord.

Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!

Default Re: SFO - Issue with Chaos (and probably other things too)

Quote Originally Posted by kelembribor21 View Post
    Im not sure if You found SFO page yet but be sure to check their reddit discord maybe they will help You there . On steam workshop there is link to patreon and discord.
    Thank you, will definitely do that.
    And btw, great name