Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shieldwall - General Information and Goals

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Default Re: Shieldwall - General Information and Goals

Sort of but we are limited in what we can do as recruitment uses the mercenary pool, that said we are introducing unique mercenaries that can be hired as your faction gains fame. Basically the more famous your faction is the better mercenaries your faction can recruit. This is our list of mercenaries so far:

Frankish Horsemen
    Svear Vikingar - Swedes
    Saxon Band
    Old Captain
    Jomsvikingnar
    Vikingar
    Sailors
    Silver Wolves

There will be a few others as well but these units have their own unique colors and banner as well.

Just wanted to say, IIRC pre-release when people were asking CA why Gallowglass were in game when they weren't mentioned until the 12th century, their answer was basically that they just used Gallowglass as a name to represent Norse Mercenaries fighting for the Irish. So while the name isn't right I'd say the idea from the base game is fine and it makes sense to give some Norse merc unit to the Irish faction.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by AHumpierRogue View Post
    Just wanted to say, IIRC pre-release when people were asking CA why Gallowglass were in game when they weren't mentioned until the 12th century, their answer was basically that they just used Gallowglass as a name to represent Norse Mercenaries fighting for the Irish. So while the name isn't right I'd say the idea from the base game is fine and it makes sense to give some Norse merc unit to the Irish faction.
    I'm not sure. The hiring of galloglasses was a reaction of the Irish elites to the threat posed by the English formations of knights and archers used as a tool to colonize Ireland in 12c. I'm not sure there's a similar reaction in 9-10c. Recruitment of merc was also not so easy, it'd be rather through an alliance with a group of Norse invaders - to it's rather a matter of politics in the ToB.

At this moment we don't plan for irish to have any Gael-Norse or Norse units in their main roster. But that being said, as your faction gains fame you'll be able to recruit mercenaries such as Vikings or Jomsvikingar, so somewhat you will get a replacement for the Galloglaigh

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Long away from playing and modding TW games, i just stumbled about a ToB YT-review by Gamestar, and as expected from early pre-release ToB watches, it just confirms my fears. And well, a pity ofc, the scenario around Alfred the Great is one of my absolute favourites, as usually, CA wasn't able to make a proper depiction of according history. Anyways, i asked myself if there was a realism mod in the works ... et voila, found yours.

Have read through the entire thread here. Keep up the good work, guys!
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Senator

I'm also waiting patiently. I bought the game but will only start playing after this mod releases. Last time I played a TW game unmodded was ... MTW? And that perhaps because I was new to the franchise.

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Here is a small preview of a couple mercenary units that can be recruited in Shieldwall.

Saxon Band
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Frankish Cavalry
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Very interesting concept, lookong realy forward to this. I am very happy that you have performance in mind, so that u dont add to much assets within one unit.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

This looks very interesting ... like the idea of darts and throwing spears

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

The mod is taking great shape! Im also in the patient wait to play on this!
    Also a question, will be some tweak made on the norseman invasions or IA use of armies? It felt in the base tame that they were scarse. (Specially playing with larger factions as Wessex)

But as the other points the mod is dealing with, they look as the thing I was looking for. I love historical accuracy!

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Kinjo View Post
    Sort of but we are limited in what we can do as recruitment uses the mercenary pool, that said we are introducing unique mercenaries that can be hired as your faction gains fame. Basically the more famous your faction is the better mercenaries your faction can recruit.
    Is there any way to use the leftover recruitment pool to reintroduce areas of recruitment? I think it's the most annoying thing about this game, if the Scots capture a town in southern Wales, you can instantly recruit lots of Scottish troops there. Areas of recruitment would also let us build more varied armies with many more types of unit available.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinjo View Post
    There will be a few others as well but these units have their own unique colors and banner as well.
    So can each unit have a specific banner to that unit? Or is that just each unit type (spearmen/swordsmen/missile,cavalry) can have it's own banner?

The mod is looking great, can't wait to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    So can each unit have a specific banner to that unit? Or is that just each unit type (spearmen/swordsmen/missile,cavalry) can have it's own banner?
    Any unit can possibly have it's own color scheme and a banner, altough we limit our usage of it to mercenaries and a few other 'special' units

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Johnyyy View Post
    Any unit can possibly have it's own color scheme and a banner, altough we limit our usage of it to mercenaries and a few other 'special' units
    That sounds pretty cool, thanks. And have you guys considered Areas of Recruitment? While making my Dal Riata mod I noticed a large amount of leftover files from previous games and thought someone might be able to reintroduce the old recruitment system.

Is this mod still alive?

Quote Originally Posted by curro123 View Post
    Is this mod still alive?
    Mod creator very active on Workshop, so yes.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

@Kinjo, it would be really interesting to have a short info on the changes also here, on the TWC!

Where's the download link?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123