Thread: How do you recruit Agema (Hypaspitai, Royal Peltasts, and Agema Phalangitai) as Macedon?

Default How do you recruit Agema (Hypaspitai, Royal Peltasts, and Agema Phalangitai) as Macedon?

Hi,

I'm playing a Macedon campaign and really enjoying it. I've managed to fulfill all of the requirements to be acknowledged as Basileus - kill Pyrrhos, capture Pella, build security buildings, etc. and I received the message that this goal has been completed. However, I can't understand how I'm supposed to be able to recruit my elite troops.

According to the guide, I need a large city (IMO ridiculous, considering Epirus can recruit these troops from the start, in their large town), but no matter how I progress down the tree I can't seem to get the proper 'Basilike Patris' building to become visible to build. What gives?

Default Re: How do you recruit Agema (Hypaspitai, Royal Peltasts, and Agema Phalangitai) as Macedon?

If you're not playing 2.3 then I'm out of my league. If you are...

...You definitely don't need a Large City to build Basilike Patris. What you might be missing are the Port Garrison building (Coastal Patrol) and Doreai. In order to get to the Coastal Patrol you'll have to upgrade Pella's port.

Default Re: How do you recruit Agema (Hypaspitai, Royal Peltasts, and Agema Phalangitai) as Macedon?

The problem can't be with the Port Garrison, since Revan the Great said he got the event notification for finishing the Kingship Reform, and that requires a Port Garrison building.

Have you built the first level of Hellenistic Military Colony? In my semi-recent Macedon playthrough, I had to build a lower level of government (after completing the Kingship Reform), construct colony level 1 (which is kind of odd: why am I colonizing Macedon with Macedonians?), and after that, I was able to build the Basilike Patris.

Quote Originally Posted by Dargaron View Post
    The problem can't be with the Port Garrison, since Revan the Great said he got the event notification for finishing the Kingship Reform, and that requires a Port Garrison building.

Have you built the first level of Hellenistic Military Colony? In my semi-recent Macedon playthrough, I had to build a lower level of government (after completing the Kingship Reform), construct colony level 1 (which is kind of odd: why am I colonizing Macedon with Macedonians?), and after that, I was able to build the Basilike Patris.
    Yeah, that was the problem... I was missing the requisite level of military colony. I had the same thought process as you - why build the colony since it’s already Macedonia. Oh well.