Thread: How to delete hoplite Phalanx formation?

Default How to delete hoplite Phalanx formation?

So as a fan of a good line of battle in a total war game, the fact that the ai is using the weight of the hoplite phalanx formation to push and rotate their units like a dumbass is throwing me off. Don't get me wrong, I love this formation when is used by the player, but the AI man..
    I want to know if there is already a mod for this or if not somebody please tell me how to do it myself. It would be much appreciated.

Default Re: How to delete hoplite Phalanx formation?

@Ikeys93: This is just some general information, from my limited experience, but in case you have questions, I'm going to PM you my Steam handle. Feel free to add me.

If anyone with more experience wants to correct me here, please do.

What you'll need:
    - Pack File Manager <-- Click
    - Patience
    - 30 minutes-24 hours free time
    - Patience
    - Look into Magnar's videos, try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8knIIK1Xg8

If you've never used Pack File Manager (PFM from here on), it is a powerful tool. Without knowing how much experience you have, this may be too little, or too much, information, but I'm going to do my best to break it down.

So, first things first, PFM. If anywhere along the way you run into error messages with PFM, click continue. If the application closes with/without errors, just reopen it and try again. I get errors regularly, probably because I don't read the manual. If you screw something up with this initial setup, just delete the folder and extract from the archive again.
    • Extract the archive (7zip is my favorite), and open PackFileManager.exe.
    • It will ask you to point to the Total War installations. My suggestion, navigate to the folders using Windows explorer and copy their address into PFM. If they are not installed, just click Cancel.
    • Once PFM is up, click 'Game' drop-down menu at the top, and make sure R2TW is selected (click on it).
    • File > Open (Select the pack file you wish to edit and press open, or double click)
      • Start with ___divide_et_impera_010_part1.pack (located in the R2TW data folder). Since I'm not familiar with each of DEI's pack file contents and don't feel like going through them right now, you will, most likely, need to go through several of them to completely/mostly remove the ability from units.
      • I should mention, there is a method for pulling individual tables so that they are compatible (mostly) with future updates. I will append this method to the bottom. However, I'm not sure if it will work with the changes we're trying to make here. I HIGHLY suggest you try it, and test using a Custom battle. If it works, then this could save you A LOT of headache down the road. In the very least, we will be saving our changes to a new pack file.

• On the left, expand "db"
    • Scroll down, expand "land_units_to_units_abilities_junctions_table" (click the + symbol to the left of the name, or just double click the name)
    • Now, each of the entries (AOR, AUX_Rome, etc) needs to be checked, click on them once to open the table, you will see the section on the right populate with a bunch of information.
      • On the right, sort by abilities (click the box where it says "ability" at the top of the left column). I'm pretty sure you're looking for form_pike_wall, but I'm not sure what the ability is called.
        • Note: Each row ties an ability to a given unit. If you want to remove the ability from all units, then your job is a bit easier. But, the units are listed on the right, in case you want to pick and choose.

• To remove an ability from a unit, select the row by clicking the row number on the left, it should highlight the row, then press the Delete key. It will remove the entire row from the database.
      • Repeat this process until you've eradicated all traces of form_pike_wall. Fortunately, the unit abilities will always be found under the "land_units_to_units_abilities_junctions_table". So just go through each pack file checking this area (if it exists) until you're satisfied. As well, you might only need to go through DEI's pack files. These changes are save game compatible.

• Once you're done with a pack file, click File > Save as > Ex: __dei_010_part1_edit.pack Saving as a new pack file will prevent updates from overwriting your changes.

1. Pulling tables:
      • Click File > New
      • In the left window, Right Click > Add > From Pack > Double click the pack you want to pull from i.e. ___divide_et_impera_010_part1.pack
      • In the window that opens: Expand the pack > db
      • **RIGHT CLICK** land_units_to_units_abilities_junctions_table (This selects the DB and all of the tables inside for your new pack file)
      • Click Ok, the DB and tables should be listed in green in your new pack file.
      • Continue with the steps under the solid line above.

2. It might be necessary to create a mod load order:

• Pulled from Steam user Ash
      "MOD LOAD ORDER:
      follow these steps carefully
      step 1: uncheck all the mods in the game mod launcher
      step 2: navigate to C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Rome2\scripts folder
      step 3: create a text file called user.script
      step 4: edit the text file and add the mods you want loaded in priority order, the top being highest priority
      step 5: add my mod to the end of the list (lowest priority)
      step 6: start the game (DO NOT CHECK ANY MODS IN THE MOD MANAGER)
      step 7: do not forget to edit the file when you subscribe to new mods

example user.scripts file contents and format
      mod "your_other_mod_1";
      mod "your_other_mod_2";
      mod "_Lord_skills.pack";

IMPORTANT NOTES: user.scripts is CASE SENSATIVE so make sure you match the file names. Additionally make sure you have a blank line at the end of the file. also ensure that the file is not open by another program (aka notepad) when you start the game. "

That about does it. Hopefully this gets you done.

Good luck,

Powell

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Hey thanks, I'll copy and store this, could be useful someday!

The ability is under Spear_Wall_hoplites (land_units_unit_abilities table) called dylans_test_2

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Thank you so much. As soon as I can devote some time to this I will get on it. I'll let you know how is going

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Also keep in mind that they will switch to swords when in melee if you do not change their visual look.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

OK I've done it, than you guys

I swapped the hoplite phalanx formation and the shield wall for the "FORMED"(cavalry_counter_tactics) formation but now as KAM 2150 said they mainly use if not always their swords.
    Would I be able to make them use spears or at least use them more often or is that too complicated for an amateur?

In any case I've definitely got the effect that I wanted. The line of battle in my test reminded me of the good old roma surrectum mod but with more orderly formations which is even better.
    The formed formation fits very well with hoplites and some of the elite barbarian units. I left the hoplite phalanx ability (not the dylans_test_2 one) that very few units have because I think it fits them well and also those unit are very very rare in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeys93 View Post
    OK I've done it, than you guys

I swapped the hoplite phalanx formation and the shield wall for the "FORMED"(cavalry_counter_tactics) formation but now as KAM 2150 said they mainly use if not always their swords.
    Would I be able to make them use spears or at least use them more often or is that too complicated for an amateur?
    cavalry_counter_tactics is only a buff given to units to compensate for the weaknesses of formation combat, the formation itself is added through changing the attribute of the unit, to like thorax_spear for example. Having them fight with the spears could, I assume, be accomplished by changing the individual animation of the unit to rome_man_spear_shield for example.
    Last edited by Dardo21; August 05, 2018 at 06:47 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rome2 2018-08-06 23-30-01-821.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	475.7 KB 
ID:	354505Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rome2 2018-08-06 23-29-02-615.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	432.7 KB 
ID:	354506Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rome2 2018-08-06 23-28-49-456.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	359.2 KB 
ID:	354507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rome2 2018-08-06 23-28-38-292.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	371.5 KB 
ID:	354508Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rome2 2018-08-06 23-28-40-904.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	352.5 KB 
ID:	354509
    In this pics you can see how they behave now. Also notice how they have Discipline Formation which seems to be cavalry_counter_tactics... yes at first I thought it was the anti cav buff but it seems to work I think.
    Now I only need them to use spears and test if formation attack works well with this.

I've done it
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rome2 2018-08-07 00-37-39-537.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	459.2 KB 
ID:	354514

Any idea on what is the name of the formation attack? bet it has a tricky name like dylans_test_1 or something like that
    Is there a set of animations that let units use 80% spear 20% swords?

Formation attack is not a unit ability, its assigned in the units attributes to groups table

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Formation attack is not a unit ability, its assigned in the units attributes to groups table
    THANKS