Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late Era Campaign 1370

Default Late Era Campaign 1370

Greetings,

I am currently putting together a quick Late Era Campaign that begins in 1370. At this point it will not be especially historical, but more of an opportunity to play with Late Era units in a reasonable setting. A more historical version will follow in the next update

In this version, the Mongols have been reset as The Golden Horde, while Kwarezm is now the Jalairid Sultanate. Would anyone like to take a stab at updating the descr_strat.txt and campaign_script.txt files for the Late Era? I could do it myself, but right now I have plenty of other things to do driving things towards a release as quickly as possible. I have attached those two files as they are for the High Era Campaign (1220). Note that the campaign script has been broken into two files because the upload limit to TWC is 1MB.

For descr_strat, the units, buildings and leaders would need to be brought up to Late Era level, plus the Teutonic Order and Golden Horde would have established regions rather than appear by event. For the campaign_script, I think the only change would be to remove the script sections dealing with those 2 events.

Would very much like to add this in if I can get permission: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...5#post15520485
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Point Blank; August 03, 2018 at 02:51 PM.

Judeman266's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Late Era Campaign 1370

That Pike and Shot Submod looks nice. I don't know how to change descr_strat to make the 2 factions present on the map but there is a mod that does something similar. Total Eras Conquest: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...Total-Conquest. It uses an earlier version of RR/RC and has multiple campaigns eras. You could ask uanime5 or Ricky Toledo if they would be willing to help.

Its not difficult, its just a bit of work. But I remember that mod, I used to be in contact with uanime5, will do so again, good idea cheers

Hi PB, did you end up speeding up jav/archer aim and reload time for this patch? I remember you mentioned it some time ago but I can't recall what you actually did

Javelin, both foot and mounted, yes - the aiming time has been reduced to pretty much zero, so they get into position and throw immediately. Archers were already sped up and did not need it further - as someone pointed out, better quality archers already shot higher poundage bows for more damage with slightly better range anyway

OK to do this Late Era campaign in an even remotely historical fashion will be a lot of work. Convert Kwarezm to the Jalairid Sultanate, the Mongols to the Golden Horde, add in Georgia, Burgundy and another faction (contingent on removing the Cumans). It would also be good to perhaps remove a bunch of Early and High Era units and replace them with new Late Era ones. I could do all that, but realistically I need assistance and it would push the release back *at least* a month, which I am not willing to do - its been long enough! So look for it in a future update (y).

What I will do however is make a last-minutepush to get the three mini-campaigns working - The Reconquists (1146), The Hundred Years War (1337) and The Italian Wars (provisionally 1494). As I mentioned elsewhere, all three generate an inexplicable error which I have so far been unable to solve - I am pretty sure its the way I have them set up to integrate with the Launcher app. The good news is, if I can solve it for one, it will be solved for all.

Aside from that, *everything* is done except for the 2TPY versions of each campaign, which are currently underway and will be completed soon!
    Last edited by Point Blank; August 09, 2018 at 08:00 PM.

Woohoo! Mini-campaigns finally all working, all that needs to be done now before the release is to complete the 2TPY files for all campaigns and do the initial settlements, units and follow-on reinforcement units events for the Italian Wars 1494.
    Last edited by Point Blank; August 10, 2018 at 07:05 AM.

Nice.

Erunion Telcontar's Avatar Senator

Super excited! Really looking forward to this PB!

+Rep for anyone who can translate! (The above)
    Auta i lóme! Aurë entuluva!

Also including 'Italian City States 1280-1450' mini-campaign, featuring Venice, Milan, HRE, Sicily and Hungary.

Still having some issues with these mini-campaigns, right now they are the only things holding up the release. Have asked Gigantus for some help, he is a guru and is back later this week.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Hi PB, how do you plan to phase in the gunpowder weapons? When the first units appear and what kind of tasks are you going to foresee for them?
    I have this question as I'm reading about this weapon and try to imagine how to make them in the SS, given the limited number of units on the battle map possible. Given the loading times (8 minutes in this century, while bows would take 6 seconds to load), it was only at the end of the 15c century when I think it would be reasonable to employ gunpowder units in the field (I stress: given the SS setting). Perhaps some units would be useful during sieges on the walls - shooting down, and allowing for the long times of reloading (I understand in the M2TW the reload starts only when the unit ends his movement and gets an order of shooting (or has "fire at will").JoC
    /I think there're discussions about it a few years ago, but I am unaware of them/

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

You need to keep some of them for siege and from a slightly earlier period. However avalaibility and replenish rate can be lowered down if needed
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Hi PB, how do you plan to phase in the gunpowder weapons? When the first units appear and what kind of tasks are you going to foresee for them?
    I have this question as I'm reading about this weapon and try to imagine how to make them in the SS, given the limited number of units on the battle map possible. Given the loading times (8 minutes in this century, while bows would take 6 seconds to load), it was only at the end of the 15c century when I think it would be reasonable to employ gunpowder units in the field (I stress: given the SS setting). Perhaps some units would be useful during sieges on the walls - shooting down, and allowing for the long times of reloading (I understand in the M2TW the reload starts only when the unit ends his movement and gets an order of shooting (or has "fire at will").JoC
    /I think there're discussions about it a few years ago, but I am unaware of them/
    If you load the Late Era Campaign files then go to data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign then open "descr_events". Each event is added to the year 1220 and tells you when the event occurs. Then you go to back to data and open up "export_descr_buildings." Go to whatever unit you are looking for and look for what events are attached to it. If you see the events attached to the unit you can go to descr_events and find when the unit will become available.

@Judeman26, @Lifthrasir - I meant something different. I've asked PB how conceptually he envisages the role of the firearms in his mod starting in 1370. What was the role of such units on the battlefield as re-created by the Real Combat 2.0? To what extent it's historical?

Well it is really up to the player to decide the battlefield role of firearms. They have some advantages in that they typically have shorter training times than other Late Professional units (some are of other types including mercs), and are relatively cheap and fast replenishing. Their reload times are fairly historical. There are also different types of Arquebusiers ranging from early to late, with progressively faster reload times and increased damage and range (reflecting improved mechanisms plus factors like corned powder) as well as hand gunners, calivers and muskets, some mounted. Of course their main advantage is their much increased damage over conventional missile weapons - RC converts their considerable kinetic energy to a point equivalence in joules (modified by being ball ammo rather than something like an arrow) to depict their ability to penetrate arrmor, plus a bonus to represent the shock effect on the body; though they had relatively low muzzle velocity compared to weapons today, their bore size was around 0.75” to 1” so they had considerable momentum. Despite that, so-called ‘armors of proof’ were in use that had a demonstrated ability to resist, very heavy though.

What is not generally appreciated is that these weapons had a much tighter fit between the barrel and the ball than Napoleonic guns like the iconic Brown Bess musket, leading to longer reload times but also higher muzzle velocity, accuracy, range and damage.

Note that will likely be removing the fire-by-rank attribute so that gun units fire then rotate to the rear to reload. This is more historically accurate because fire by rank was not really seen until the late 16th century, around 1575.

Another thing I am considering implementing is an inflation mechanism, where High and Late Era units have recruitment and upkeep costs that are progressively greater in later years. The reason for this is that those costs are calculated based not necessarily on combat effectiveness but how much units would cost to equip, recruit, train and upkeep based on actual costs for such things in the early medieval time period only.
    Last edited by Point Blank; September 06, 2018 at 04:03 PM.

On inflation - actually, one of the reasons for the popularity of the firearms was that they're getting cheaper and cheaper. This concerns most of the equipment, I think. According to John France, a mail hauberk in 9c. France was worth 6 oxen, while in 14c England 2 oxen. Furthermore, inflation is a phenomenon of overall price rising in nominal terms. If you have an increase of prices for recruitment and upkeep, then the same should be applied to the income. All in all, imo, the issues it's not worth your scarce time...

This tackles another thought I had on the RC system: the prices of various elements differed from country to country (and even from region to region). I always wondered if the RC/RR took it into account - but not on the availability (some factions having access to some units) but on the price (a horse for some factions should be cheaper than for the others. Or: Poland kept on importing the swords from the Rheinland until late MA. Obviously, the sword prices were higher in Poland than in France or HRR. Is it taken into account? (I think the formula is the same for each faction).

No it isn’t; if you’ve got any good data it could be included

I guess you've got a spreadsheet with all the details for each unit - what produce the final price. You can just add a subjective coefficient ;-)

I usually make a spreadsheet for myself for various mods, eg. for IB-SAI Armenia:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast