Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Berkhamsted Castle

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Berkhamsted Castle

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfus View Post

"Hereford keeps ill company."

Cecilia's distaste was entirely visible. In private, she was not afraid of airing her thoughts upon her husband's liegemen.

"De Clare is kin to both me and the King. More than a fitting match."
    "Then it shall be De Clare."

Joan decided, or rather the Queen decided for her, not that she minded that.

"Do you know him well then?"
    Perhaps the Queen could tell her more, certainly the Queen was holding her interest.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Cecilia was only half listening, caught in the wave of bitter melancholy that had washed over her, turning away the happiness in an instant. Robert was dead, or gone, and not a soul in England or Normandy seemed to care.

"Do you know where he is? My husband does not. Nobody seems to."

Another draught of wine. Words were becoming slurred.

"Edouard... My darling boy won't be taken from me, like the others. I won't let them near him, those snakes."
    "I do not, though I wish I did." That at least was a completely honest statement. Probably not even the King himself knew, Aubrey figured, considering he'd delegated the task to Bageard when the matter of young Robert's fate was brought up. If anyone truly knew anything about where Curthose had disappeared off to (and assuming he didn't just order his men in turn to take care of everything), it would be the Earl of Gloucester, but he probably wasn't going to tell just anyone.

"Oh, I'm certain he won't." De Vere said in his best attempt at a reassuring tone. He hadn't touched his wine since Cecilia first brought up Curthose, to keep his wits about him - alcohol was not good for one's cognitive processes, as the young Queen was demonstrating. Would his descendants become witless drunken sots in due time? "The King would surely have to consult with you before assigning a guardian to him, obviously, you're Edouard's mother. Who among the lords would you trust with that task, if any?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mary The Quene View Post
    "Then it shall be De Clare."

Joan decided, or rather the Queen decided for her, not that she minded that.

"Do you know him well then?"
    Perhaps the Queen could tell her more, certainly the Queen was holding her interest.

"Not very. I know him about as well as any other of the realm's nobles."

Which was to say not at all, save for the more notable ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    "I do not, though I wish I did." That at least was a completely honest statement. Probably not even the King himself knew, Aubrey figured, considering he'd delegated the task to Bageard when the matter of young Robert's fate was brought up. If anyone truly knew anything about where Curthose had disappeared off to (and assuming he didn't just order his men in turn to take care of everything), it would be the Earl of Gloucester, but he probably wasn't going to tell just anyone.

"Oh, I'm certain he won't." De Vere said in his best attempt at a reassuring tone. He hadn't touched his wine since Cecilia first brought up Curthose, to keep his wits about him - alcohol was not good for one's cognitive processes, as the young Queen was demonstrating. Would his descendants become witless drunken sots in due time? "The King would surely have to consult with you before assigning a guardian to him, obviously, you're Edouard's mother. Who among the lords would you trust with that task, if any?"
    "None!"

She raised a finger in an admonishing manner.

"He will stay here, with me. The rodent and his friends will not take him from me."

The servants had stopped refilling her cup, and in truth she had not even noticed.

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Cecilia gave a little smile at the compliment; one used to flattery thinks little of it after a time, assuming that all speak truly when their virtues are extolled.

"You must be thirsty, my lord."

A thrall shuffled over and presented the Lord of Maxstoke with a cup of ale. Cecilia did not part-take, for her mother had made her swear off the demon drink.

"I am glad you came. I feared that you had already began your travels eastward."

De Clare's intent to travel to Constantinople was by now well known - it was considered a rarity for one to travel that far from England's shores.
    William wasn’t thirsty but had accepted the drink nonetheless
    My travels will begin shortly, I merely wait on a couple of loose ends

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    William wasn’t thirsty but had accepted the drink nonetheless
    My travels will begin shortly, I merely wait on a couple of loose ends

"Good. Do you think you will have time for a marriage, cousin?"

Cecilia gave a wry smile.

"None!"

She raised a finger in an admonishing manner.

"He will stay here, with me. The rodent and his friends will not take him from me."

The servants had stopped refilling her cup, and in truth she had not even noticed.
    "Not even myself? And here I thought you just called me a true friend, Your Grace." De Vere answered, his tone one of indignation even as a playful smirk stretched his thin lips. "I jest, of course, and completely understand why you would not wish your son to be removed from your household." It might be necessary, for the lad Edward had to learn the martial arts and get to know the great peers of the realm at some point, but Arundel knew he wouldn't be the greatest choice to teach the boy anything but numbers anyway. But it was probably best not to point that out to this protective, if also drunken, mother.

"What do you think of our king's other lords, those not on the council? Have you spoken to any of them?" Aubrey continued, now taking his wine in small sips again. "I must confess I know little of any of them save De Clare and to a lesser extent Mowbray, much less those Saxons in the north." It occurred to Aubrey that he hadn't even visited any non-Marchers aside from De Clare and Mowbray, and so should probably get out more. He was unfamiliar with even the majority of the Normans, from Talbot to Montfort, and had nearly come to blows with the Fleming in parliament. Of the Saxons, Waltheof was the only one he had even seen speaking outside of parliament, when the man was called to give his account of Avranches' presumptuous actions in Richmond before the royal council.

"Not very. I know him about as well as any other of the realm's nobles."

Which was to say not at all, save for the more notable ones.
    "I see"

Joan's eyes betrayed a certain disappointment at that, she wanted to know her husband to be better. But soon enough that was washed away by the excitement of the impending marriage.

"Just my young brother is left now unmarried....." She spoke of course of younger brother, Walter. Joan certainly loved to play the match maker.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Citizen

"Good. Do you think you will have time for a marriage, cousin?"

Cecilia gave a wry smile.
    It is interesting you should mention marriage cousin, the Earl of Chester had recently proposed his niece to my hand.

Section Editor ES

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    "Not even myself? And here I thought you just called me a true friend, Your Grace." De Vere answered, his tone one of indignation even as a playful smirk stretched his thin lips. "I jest, of course, and completely understand why you would not wish your son to be removed from your household." It might be necessary, for the lad Edward had to learn the martial arts and get to know the great peers of the realm at some point, but Arundel knew he wouldn't be the greatest choice to teach the boy anything but numbers anyway. But it was probably best not to point that out to this protective, if also drunken, mother.

"What do you think of our king's other lords, those not on the council? Have you spoken to any of them?" Aubrey continued, now taking his wine in small sips again. "I must confess I know little of any of them save De Clare and to a lesser extent Mowbray, much less those Saxons in the north." It occurred to Aubrey that he hadn't even visited any non-Marchers aside from De Clare and Mowbray, and so should probably get out more. He was unfamiliar with even the majority of the Normans, from Talbot to Montfort, and had nearly come to blows with the Fleming in parliament. Of the Saxons, Waltheof was the only one he had even seen speaking outside of parliament, when the man was called to give his account of Avranches' presumptuous actions in Richmond before the royal council.
    "But you are a true friend, de Vere, even if you lurk at the side of my husband's sycophants."

The Queen yawned, resembling a lion or leopard as she lazily sprawled herself upon the throne, stretching her limbs.

"I know them not and trust them not. They lap at my husbands feet like dogs waiting for a bone."

Quote Originally Posted by Mary The Quene View Post
    "I see"

Joan's eyes betrayed a certain disappointment at that, she wanted to know her husband to be better. But soon enough that was washed away by the excitement of the impending marriage.

"Just my young brother is left now unmarried....." She spoke of course of younger brother, Walter. Joan certainly loved to play the match maker.

"I'm certain we can find a match for him."

Replied the Queen. She would not dare marry off one of her sisters to a second son, not without her husband's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    It is interesting you should mention marriage cousin, the Earl of Chester had recently proposed his niece to my hand.

"Lord Chester's niece is a noble woman, I am sure, but not the right woman for you. I think you should wed one of my ladies."

She smiled gently, and then paused for a moment to feign thought.

"Mayhaps the lady Joan? She is of good stock, the daughter of my husband's dear friend Lord Lascy."

Citizen

William looked puzzled, politically the marriage made sense but was there something he didn't know
    Not the right woman, how so?

Section Editor ES

“Rumours. I won’t repeat them, but they are enough for me to doubt her.”

Replied the Queen, vaguely. She did not want to lose patience and lose the chance of winning him around without force.

Citizen

Very well cousin, if marrying lady de Lacy will make you happy I shall marry her.

Section Editor ES

“Good!”

Grinned the Queen in triumph. She stole a glance of the Lady Joan, positively beaming.

“Given that you are soon to leave, the ceremony can be done today. Then the other trivial matters can be discussed later.”

Who really cares about marriage contracts and such?

Citizen

As you wish, cousin

Section Editor ES

"I'm certain we can find a match for him."

Replied the Queen. She would not dare marry off one of her sisters to a second son, not without her husband's permission.
    "We will come back upon it later, when the time is ripe."

Said Joan, who was now in a state of delirium, finally she would marry!. That state of bliss that had been denied her for so long was now so very close. That and the wine started to take her toll...

"It is late now, ohohoh, so very late ohhah, oh sorry, Your Grace." Joan's face turned full red while her speech became slurred. She wasn't the one to tolerate much alcohol clearly. Perhaps it was time for her to go to bed.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

“Good!”

Grinned the Queen in triumph. She stole a glance of the Lady Joan, positively beaming.

“Given that you are soon to leave, the ceremony can be done today. Then the other trivial matters can be discussed later.”

Who really cares about marriage contracts and such?
    Joan couldn't suppress a broad wide smile. The thought of finally marrying had made her very excited last weeks. For sure she was now in eternal debt of the Queen whom she loved now like a sister. Joan's head turned full red, visibly to all those present.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

"But you are a true friend, de Vere, even if you lurk at the side of my husband's sycophants."

The Queen yawned, resembling a lion or leopard as she lazily sprawled herself upon the throne, stretching her limbs.

"I know them not and trust them not. They lap at my husbands feet like dogs waiting for a bone."
    "So they do. Rest assured though, my Queen, some dogs are more loyal than others." Arundel allowed himself a rare, true grin. "For example, you should have seen the Lord Clare at our most recent parlement. His brazen desire for more estates and titles aside, though, he's one I do believe you and King Edgar can both count on." And Aubrey wasn't saying that just because he was De Clare's son-in-law. Gilbert had saved Edgar's skin in the thick of battle, and married his sister. May that union be fruitful and last much longer, unless God above had different plans.

"Alas, Your Grace, I do believe that besides De Clare, the bulk of the great continental lords of venerable blood, your family's blood even - Montgomery and the scions of Penthièvre - attached themselves to your uncle of Mortain's sinking ship, and so found themselves deprived of all land and wealth in the fallout of his defeat at your husband's hands. Mine own pedigree can scarcely compare to theirs." Now Aubrey played a bit with some of his venison. "I heard he - or was it another of your Conteville uncles - mistreated your brother Richard back in Rouen, before your other uncle of Champagne and aunt of Aumale brought you and your sisters across the sea. Stripped him and scourged him bloody in court for all to see. Did that really happen?" Not that it mattered now, but De Vere was curious. If he had propped up a kingly claimant, he certainly wouldn't treat him like some orphaned pauper who'd offended him, much less do so in public. How ironic that Cerdic's heir should treat the children of the Conqueror (save Robert, apparently) better than their own paternal uncles when they fell into his hands.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

A messenger brought a letter for the Queen-Dowager, the messenger was instructed to only give it to the royal persona and nobody else.

[CONTENTBOX]
    Your Majesty,

I write to you with the heavy heart that my Father, Lord Roger de Mowbray has been arrested by his Grace the King of England.

My father mortally injured Gilbert de Clare and was arrest by his Grace the King even though he had sanctioned the duel. There had been no first blood until my father accidental struck Lord de Clare and killed him in the process. The King seems to be heavily effected by this loss and seems vengeful.

Reports are already coming in that Richard de Clare's has viciously attacked my father's estates, murdered the men and raped the defenseless women. Even going as far as to flaying the people that resist and hanging them before Warwick castle and Richard himself is besieging Norfolk Castle.

I would implore you to come to our aid in any way you can your Grace.
    Otherwise we might no longer be around to offer any help in your own predicament.

Signed, Waxed and sealed,
    Sir Roger de Mowbray
    [/CONTENTBOX]

Citizen

A letter addressed to the Queen arrives from William de Clare

Dearest cousin, after a long campaign in wales with your husband I have finally returned home to my fathers estate in Clare. With this letter I humbly ask that my wife is sent to Clare castle to fulfil her wifely duties, now that I have returned.

Sincerely
    William

Section Editor ES

Citizen

William de Clare came to visit his cousin

Section Editor ES