Thread: Adding resources experiment

Default Adding resources experiment

Greetings fellow mappers:

Ok so i'm making (finishing) a new map, and im at the resources filling stuff. While experimenting i realized that in order to have a resource being "traded" in-game it only needs to be correctly placed in descr_strat.txt; even if the owning region doesn't have it listed in descr_region.txt.

So, i even tried with "none" as the resource for my test region and still descr_strat.txt overlaped and showed it in game and in the trading interface. My question now is: What is the actual purpose of the resources list in descr_region.txt? I know it's usefulness when using hidden resources; but i mean whats the use of listing "normal resources" in that file if as far as i know it won't make a change in the actual game. Unless off course i haven't tested enough and there is an issue that i'm not aware of.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Adding resources experiment

I am assuming that listing trading resources in descr_regions is a left over from a previous game version (maybe similar to the function of the lookup files? Which themselves are not required in M2TW anymore) - it certainly has no impact in M2TW, so if it hasn't got any impact in RTW then that's the best explanation.

The resources list in descr_regions is presumably only for hidden resources, not for trading resources.

I think that modding RTW:

- descr_regions.txt, at least has to contain resources involved with mines to work correctly (maybe even slaves). I recommend include all of them (in case, you know...)
    - descr_sm_resources.txt, this file set up the files on strat map and the value of the resources.

=)

ROME TOTAL REALISM ANABASIS FORUM: HERE

@Gigantus: It seems like the case; thank you for all your help so far.

@Solon: Llevó ya varios "años" de prueba y no; la ausencia del listado no me ha dado lata; eso es bueno porque la idea de hacer una por una era demasiado trabajo. Por cierto; ¿cómo va tu mod?