Page 1 of 33 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: [Dagor Silmarillion - Third Age] Dagor Ennor - War of the Dragons

General Dragon.'s Avatar Champion of Dragons
    Gaming Emeritus

Default [Dagor Silmarillion - Third Age] Dagor Ennor - War of the Dragons

Dagor Ennor - Third Age Campaign

We will be using amazing Dagor Silmarillion mod. Slight changes have been/will be done to improve hotseat balance.

Following the defeat of Morgoth in the War of Wrath, many Dragons were left in Middle-earth. Between the Second and the Third Age the Seven Rings helped the Dwarven Clans increase their treasure troves which however drew the mightiest of dragons and opponents; and over the years they plundered the works of the Dwarves and devoured some of the Rings, the war that later received the name the War of the Dwarves and Dragons. Many centuries before the beginning of the War, the Dragon Scatha had plundered treasure from the Dwarves and kept it in his hoard, however later on Scatha was slain by Fram of the Éothéod, who kept the treasure for himself and refused to yield a penny of it to the Dwarves, which damaged further relationships between the dwarves and the elven folk. Following the loss of Khazad-dûm to the Balrog, in T.A. 1999 Thráin I established the Kingdom under the Mountain at Erebor. However, in 2210 Thráin's son, Thorin I, abandoned Erebor and removed his people to the Grey Mountains to join the rest of Durin's Folk.

Over the years the dragons of the Forodwaith eventually multiplied and became strong, and in T.A. 2570 the Dragons made war on the Dwarves of the Grey Mountains, sacking and plundering their halls. The Dwarves held out for around twenty years, but finally in 2589 the Dragons attacked the halls of King Dáin I. King Dáin, and his second son Frór, were killed by a Cold-drake outside his door to his halls. Following the death of their king, most of Durin's Folk abandoned the Grey Mountains. In 2590, King Thrór and his uncle Borin returned to the Erebor with the Arkenstone to re-establish the Kingdom under the Mountain. However, Thrór's younger brother Grór led others to the Iron Hills.
    Within the years many dragons moved towards the icy wastelands of the far north and never be seen again.

The Dwarves of the Iron Hills and the Dwarves of Erebor managed to prosper for the following couple of centuries. However the threat of Dragons would return: in T.A. 2770 the dragon Smaug, hearing of the wealth of Erebor, flew south from the North "like a hurricane" and attacked the wealthy Dwarven Kingdom under the Mountain. Smaug dwelt in the Lonely Mountain until the Quest for Erebor in 2941 which resulted in Smaug being killed by a Black Arrow shot by Bard. Although Thorin was killed in the subsequent Battle of Five Armies, Dáin of the Iron Hills became King of Durin's Folk and King under the Mountain.

Relationships between the members of the victors of the Battle of Five Armies were improved, however old grudges are never forgotten and today's friend can be your enemy tomorrow. Only few months later after the death of Smaug and mending all the damage he brought upon dire news arrived to the dwarves, men and elves. Men from the northern wastelands arrived bearing ill news of dragon sightings. The sons of the Great Ancalagon's Brood are now coming back. Their sights and greed is upon the rich lands of mortal races and they will show no mercy to any be it dwarf, men, elf or even orcs as the dragons now coming to carve upon a new brooding empire for themselves.
    This is the War of the Dragons.

Admin:
    Dragon.
    Co-Admin:
    Mergor

Scenario Description:
    There will be some factions under admin controll to help the flow of the game and the story of this scenario, however depending on how many players wishes to join I might relinquish some of the factions to players and also I can make few more factions into play instead of turning them rebel or ai. The scenario will focus on the idea, what if the dragons that went to the far north return aswell, just as Smaug did in his greed. The war will focus on the events as the dragons reclaim the grey mountains and later on raiding, harassing the lands of the mortal races. Not even mordor forces are safe againts their wrath and therefore some might wishes to restore old alliances, others might turn to uncanny allies in these times and some might even use the opportunity for conquest.
    The hotseat itself is a Free for All, therefore no lore alliances are at the start and you play as you see fit for your playstyle.
    Also the current rules and the set up are work in progress so there will be some changes when this hotseat starts also, if you wish to change any of it or would you like to suggest something to add feel free to post. Some of the most important ones that aren't set in stones yet is forts should be allowed to be built on the map as normally you can't in Third Age or how much freedom spies and assassins can get.

Admin controlled factions:
    Brood of Ancalagon
    Mordor
    Balchoth Clans
    Rhun
    Avari Elves

Currently playable Factions:
    Dale - S
    ubbed by admin currently
    Dwarves of Erebor - Captain Melon
    Silvan Elves -
    dannyalex
    Galadhrim Elves - Potatoto
    Beornings - Adanedhel
    Orcs of Misty Mountains -
    ilduce118
    Orocarni Dwarves - Jadli

Map preview
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Rules
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    - Time to play your turn is 24h. The Admin may grant a 24h extension if you ask for it.

- No exploits/bugs allowed.Posting defeats, making walls of units on map to disallow enemy agents to move and stomping/killing agents with units, surrounding armies/navies to deny retreat, intentionally spreading a plague with agents/units, stepping on a merchant to remove him from a trade resource, exploiting AI factions ( for example demanding/accepting money or settlements from AI factions), and more.
    - Suiciding your faction is not allowed, and may result into your removal from the HS.
    - List of known bugs:
    1) The naval fort bug: No using ships to bypass a fort's or a settlement's Zone of Control.

2) Ambush fort bug: No luring men in ambush position into ZoC of forts\settlement's as such robbing them of their movement points.

3) Siege reinforcement bug: when the army is adjacent to a fort or a settlements that has been put under siege it cannot reinforce armies adjacent to him which he should have been able to reinforce on normal occasions. Attacking an army which the siege reinforcements bug applies to is not allowed
    Navy inside ports attacked bug: no using this bug to attack ships which are inside ports.

4) Yoyo armies\forts bug: no attacking an army which the bug has been used on multiple times. You can see when this bug occurs, as the enemy army enters the fort and then leaves it.

5) Attacking ships inside the port - Attacking ships that are inside ports is not allowed.

6) Recruitment pool fill up - Quing up units in the recruitment sloots to increase artifically units/agents maximum number you can recruit in one settlement.

7) Recruting mercenaries in forts with depleted movement points - Using forts to get illegal maximum movement points to mercenaries in a depleted army.

8) Using ships to get more movement range - Using ships to give more movement range to armies on seas.

Military rules

- No one turn peace ( although you cannot attack other factions, if they hasnt played their first turn yet. You can cross lands of a faction that hasnt played its 1st turn yet, if your army doesnt stand in enemy territory after its movement).
    - Battles can be auto-resolved or manually played againts AI/Rebels, but againts player you can only use Auto-resolve. Screenshots must be posted with: odds and result screens, mouse over the odds bar to show the ratio, the armies involved with their banners visible on the campaign map, unit card of siege unit must be visible if used to directly assault settlement.
    - Armies that are defeated in battle by a player that comes after them in the turn list may not move the following turn. This is to make it fair for people who are defeated by players that come before them in the turn list. Armies standing in a settlement when defeated are excluded from this rule.
    -Heroic victories against players are not be allowed.
    - You are not allowed to post a defeat
    - Ships cannot leave blockaded ports. No attacking ships in ports using a game bug. It's not allowed to keep units protected by placing them in ships docked in a port.
    -Not allowed to besiege a settlement to deny its garrison participation in battle.
    - You are not allowed to besiege a settlement to deny enemy retreat into it.
    - Not allowed to build watchtowers.
    - You are not allowed to lure an ambushing army a tile closer to bring it in range of more of your forces.
    - Huge stone walls, citadels and lore capitals cannot be assaulted by any unit of siege equipment, only a siege.

Agent rules

- Spies are not allowed to open Gates on players, unless there is at least 40% (for lore capitals, huge stone walls, citadels its 60%) chance of entering into the settlement/fort. If a spy was has been in settlement/fort for several turns, you will have to leave the settlement/fort and enter it again.
    If a settlement/fort is defended by +400 drakes, 720+ elves, 900+ men and dwarves, or 1500+ orcs (260 for drakes, 460 for elves, 620 for men and dwarves, 1000 for orcs lore capitals, citadels, huge stone walls ), than a spy may not open the gates anyway. Screenshots must be provided
    - Assassins cannot sabotage and are not allowed to kill family members or generals. Assassins need at least 40% chance to kill other agents, for enemy assassins/spies just 30% is required. Screenshots must be provided
    - Merchants need 40% to acquire other merchant's assets. Only allowed in your own regions, Rebel Controlled Regions, or regions you have aquired Trade rights to. Screenshots required
    - Bribed units/agents cant move for one turn. You can bribe only settlements/forts that your armies can directly march into.

Settlement rules

- Destruction of buildings is not allowed. Only exceptions are churches of foreign religions. They can be destroyed immediately after taking a settlement
    - Not allowed to exterminate settlements.
    You can trade maximally one settlement per turn. Such settlements mustnt be in war zone and you must disband all units you receive except one.

Special Quests

All player factions will receive in private some unique questlines catered to their faction as well there will be some events, quests that will be public to all. Should you pursue these and manage to complete, you will find riches and glory.

Special Rules

To compensate for ingame weakness for the Brood of Ancalagon faction, as their units can't use siege equipments in battle, after I besieged a settlement for 1 turn successfully I will add to that army a siege unit, so I can carry out the attack. After the battle be it victory or defeat I will delete the siege uint. Dragons can fly over buildings, but as it isn't possible by engine limitations this is the compensation for it.

Forts are buildable by default, however in this hotseat you can't build forts. There are many pre-placed forts/settlements/ruins that works as forts in the map. They are all garrisoned at the start, so you need to take them if you want to control certain paths between settlements. These forts don't have rule about how many units needed to be garrisoned, however if you leave one them empty it will dissappear in the next turn. This makes these fortifications even more valuable and can show signs of struggle between factions if they dissappear from a region.

Last edited by General Dragon.; February 22, 2022 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Updated

"The Dragon is wise, a sage among the ignorant. He knows not all that glitters is gold."

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Default Re: Dagor Ennor - War of the Dragons - SIGN UP

Nice work!

I would like to play Orocarni Dwarves or the Avari elves, though, if they dont get to be player controlled, I would take The Balcoth Clans

Gaming Emeritus

I missed Beornings on the faction list. Fixed it now also I will mention in a post and update the first post, whenever something changes. For playable factions there will be some quests that can bring some advantages if someone pursues them, sort of like the ones in Black Drake.

"The Dragon is wise, a sage among the ignorant. He knows not all that glitters is gold."

Dwarves of Erebor or Galahadrim elves for me please, also Free for all as in no alliances at all or just at the start?

edit: thanks for clarifying
    Last edited by keldo52; July 23, 2018 at 10:38 AM.

themzr's Avatar Primicerius
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Dale!
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."

----- Alexander The Great

Gaming Emeritus

Free for all that no alliances at start, everyone is neutral to the other playable factions except the dragons.

LordPureLegacy's Avatar Decanus

Avari Elves, Rhun, Balcoth no particular order
    Study Strategy Over The Years And Achieve The Spirit Of A Warrior. Today Is Victory Over Yourself Of Yesterday; Tomorrow Is Victory Over Lesser Men.- Miyamoto Musashi

joerock22's Avatar Leader of Third Age HS
    Citizen

Something at the front lines, maybe OotMM or SE.
    Last edited by joerock22; July 24, 2018 at 05:08 PM.

Adanedhel's Avatar Campidoctor

Beornings if no one took them.

Galadhrim Elves or Dwarves of Erebor or Silvan Elves for me.
    Last edited by Potatoto; July 27, 2018 at 06:38 PM.

Adanedhel's Avatar Campidoctor

Wanted to inform you guys that I will be away from my pc from 6.08 to 10.08. Hopefully, I will be back before this starts.

Gaming Emeritus

I updated the first post a little bit and tweeked some of the rules. As of now forts are enabled, but if the majority wants I can make them unbuildable. Another thing to follow the steps made by the Fellowship TATW hotseats, there will be private quests for the player factions, all catered towards their goals and nature and I will try to make these quests, possible questlines as unique as I can. There will be also some public events/quests, that everyone will know and those who are nearby can take part in it for the rewards it might bring.

Not sure it room but Dale,Balcolth

Quote Originally Posted by General Dragon. View Post
    I updated the first post a little bit and tweeked some of the rules. As of now forts are enabled, but if the majority wants I can make them unbuildable. Another thing to follow the steps made by the Fellowship TATW hotseats, there will be private quests for the player factions, all catered towards their goals and nature and I will try to make these quests, possible questlines as unique as I can. There will be also some public events/quests, that everyone will know and those who are nearby can take part in it for the rewards it might bring.
    It sounds great

REDBOOSTY's Avatar Ducenarius

I will take any faction, just happy if i can be in this
    "I never asked for this, no more than I asked to be king. Yet dare I disregard her? We do not choose our destinies. Yet we must ... we must do our duty, no? Great or small, we must do our duty"

-Stannis Baratheon

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

The Patch is finished, so you can now download the entire patched mod using this Download LINK (simply extract into your Medieval II/mods. Be careful to not merge it with your other TATW folders). Its for both, Quenta Silmarillion as well as this one.

This mod has unique file swappers, changing some of the major files depending on what Age do you want to play in. Since we also have there a hotseat from the First Age, you will need to switch between the ages each time to play turns from both hotseat (assuming you are in both hotseats). The swappers change many important files, such as recruitment, factions names, main campaign, and banners, thus you have to do it each time. The Swappers are located in .../mods/Third_Age_3. To swap to the Silmarillion HS, use "1st_Age_Beleriand.bat", for this hotseat, use "3rd_Age.bat". After that use the usual "Third_Age.bat" to play the mod (or your desktop launcher).

The download already has The First Age as the main, so to play in this hotseat, you need to use the swapper as explained above. Then you will not need to use it again, if you are playing only in this hotseat.

As for the changes I made. The First Age campaigns, as part of Dagor Ennor mod, have still been in alpha version, so there are some things not fully finished yet. Especially ancillaries/trait and units. Most of the units (names) availible were specifically from Third Age, or at least their names. I tried to remove all units that couldnt have existed in The First Age yet or renamed them/changed their descriptions, but there might likely be some left. Similar things I did with the ancillaries/traits. The Main changes however went to recruitment, factions balance in the campaign (the campaign in the download might be not be exactly the same as the one the save will be made on, as Ill likely polish a few hings) and so on. Dragon made similar adjustements in his part. He also changed population growths, enabled forts, slightly increased movement points, etc.
    Last edited by Jadli; August 13, 2018 at 05:58 AM.

Gaming Emeritus

As jadli said for this hotseat after you downloaded the folder from the link, just start up the 3rd_Age bat file and wait until its finished. It should load in a vanilla m2tw loading screen then ctd with an empty error message. This is normal. After this is done just start the third_age bat file like you would normally do and you can play this hotseat.

I updated the OP once again putting avari elves and orocani dwarves to playable as it seems we have enough players wanting to play, also added a special rule for Brood of Ancalagon. Because orocarni dwarves aren't played by me anymore I changed the map a little bit and 2 more spots opened up, which you can distinguish from the original border line. The 2 new territory will belong to Brood of Ancalagon so the orocarni dwarves not be left out. Also as Jadli said forts can be build, population growth is boosted so you can upgrade your lower level settlements faster just like with my total recruitment patch 1.0 and also there is no barrack events ( I don't know if it was ever in DB), so you have access to every unit right away, you might need to upgrade in your capital cities one or two level and movement ranges increased a little bit.

Gaming Emeritus

Updated first post for the final tweeks. Read the rules again, especially the special rule section. Factions are handed out to players and I will post the starting save tomorrow, with the first quests for each factions. If anyone wishes to switch with someone you can do until I upload the starting save.

Yet about a spy's rule "If inside the settlement is at least 1200 soldiers (720 for lore capitals, citadels, huge stone walls ), than a spy may not open the gates anyway. Screenshots must be provided" there should be diffrent numbers for different factions. 1200 soldiers is half stack of Elves (if army includes archers then even more is needed) when orcs needs just half of it.
    Last edited by Potatoto; August 17, 2018 at 12:52 PM.

Gaming Emeritus

You are absolutely right. I copied the rule from TES line, but I forgot to actually update to tatw scenario. I changed it now to reflect normal tatw rules for normal and the decreased number for lore capitals should be fine.

Also here is the starting save, so Dale is up!
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/2tbpnp

Page 1 of 33 123456789101126 ... LastLast