Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: [Dagor Silmarillion - First Age] Quenta Silmarillion (Roleplay Hotseat)

Default Re: [RP HS] Quenta Silmarillion - First Age Roleplay Hotseat - SIGN UP

looking at the installation of this new mod:-

a)Disable UAC. - what is this & how do I change it? Some comments say it is not necessary to change?
    b) paste the PCP_File_Cleaner.bat - where do I find this program?

regards

PBOB
    Last edited by paladinbob123; July 23, 2018 at 12:35 PM.
    "War is the continuation of politics by other means." - Carl von Clausewitz

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by paladinbob123 View Post

a)Disable UAC. - what is this & how do I change it? Some comments say it is not necessary to change?

regards

PBOB
    a) UAC is a windows feature intended to protect your system that unintentionally murders Medieval 2 Total War when it is using larger mods that write temporary files into the game folder. Simply put, the game ends up with not enough permissions to do what it wants, and the game fails as a result. This can be circumvented if the game is installed outside of program files or if you give the medieval 2 directory special permissions. It ties closely with VirtualStore, which can result in the temporary data mentioned above being written to another directory entirely (including game saves sometimes). Basically, having your game in program files is a mess, and UAC is a big culprit for that.
    b) PCP Cleaner is included in the installation files, and its use should be described in a notepad doc coming with the same files or the online guide. Haven't checked. It's a quirky mod to install manually. Ideally it will be an easy matter to install it if Dragon simply uploads the compiled version (I'd say he should given he's planning on using edits).
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

BTW What comes to rule
    "Spies are not allowed to open Gates on players, unless there is at least 60% (
    for lore capitals, huge stone walls, citadels its 80%)"​​ then there is a question: Is it even possible to level up your spy in Third Age mod to the point he will be able of havink 80% chances of opening gates?

joerock22's Avatar Leader of Third Age HS
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Potatoto View Post
    BTW What comes to rule
    for lore capitals, huge stone walls, citadels its 80%)"​​ then there is a question: Is it even possible to level up your spy in Third Age mod to the point he will be able of havink 80% chances of opening gates?
    It looks like the rule is based on infiltration percentage rather than chance of opening the gates, similar to what had become typical in Stainless Steel hotseats, if you've ever played that. So in practice you can prevent a spy from opening your gates by either: a) placing your own spy inside the settlement (reduces enemy infiltration chance) or b) putting the required number of troops inside the settlement.

Quote Originally Posted by joerock22 View Post
    It looks like the rule is based on infiltration percentage rather than chance of opening the gates, similar to what had become typical in Stainless Steel hotseats, if you've ever played that. So in practice you can prevent a spy from opening your gates by either: a) placing your own spy inside the settlement (reduces enemy infiltration chance) or b) putting the required number of troops inside the settlement.
    I do play SS hotseats (sad that you do not recognize me since we were allied for quite good amount of time in SSAF and also for a while in SSAF2 ). The difference on which I am talking about is that at SS you can easily level up your spys and in Third Age I have never yet got my spy beyond lvl 5 which gives 70% to infiltrate. Therefore I am asking if this is just me who can't level them to point which would give me 80% to infiltrate or it is at all impossible to do so.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow2daknee View Post
    Does this start before or after the fourth battle?
    As stated in the OP, it starts just before the 4th battle, thus the first turns will have many large battles.

Quote Originally Posted by paladinbob123 View Post

regards

PBOB
    We will specify what to install it once we finish the edits to the files, since me and Dragon still have to figure out some things regarding using different ages for our hotseats. There are launchers in the mod that switches between ages. It changes banners, faction names etc. Pretty easy to use, so no worries).

Anyway, if you want to install it already, the easiest is likely to follow download on moddb. We will likely make full download then, so no worries
    1) PCP core files, 2) First Age Campaigns Alpha 3) First Age IU fix, 4) PCP UI fix

BTW What comes to rule

Well, I actually have to test if its possible in this mod. In TES where I was using it, it should be possible, since there are several additional lore agent traits/ancillaries. As joe says, its based on infiltration, not the chance of opening gates. I dont really have much an opinion on whats better, so up to players, though I assume placing a spy inside your settlement doesnt decrease the chance of opening the gates for enemy agents?
    Anyway, the purpose of this rule mostly is to protect important settlements, so I suppose we could as well just say the spies are not allowed to open gates on such settlements (if they cant get 80%, thats what it already means anyway).

Also, do you want to play with buildable forts?

Anyway, seems we got more than enough sign ups for roleplay, so here is my suggested roster. Seems there is not enough people for non roleplay version, though if they really wanted, it could work too, with cutting most of factions. Also everyone please check Dragon's Dagor Ennor Hotseat (especially those that want to play non roleplay). Its using the same mod, but it set in the 3rd age instead

Evil

Morgoth's orcs and other creatures

Dor Daedeloth (Morgoth's faction) - General Dragon
    Glaurung -
    General Dragon
    Síleráth Ungoliant - Captain Melon
    Raugdúath - Captain Melon

Noldor
    The elves that finished The Great Journey, and reached Valinor. Although, later most of them returned to Middle-Earth with Feanor, to fight Morgoth and retrieve The Silmarills.

Host of Feanor - King Athelstan
    Host of Fingolfin - Adanedhel
    Kingdom of Gondolin (of House of Fingolfin) - PeaMan
    Kingdom of Nargothrond (of House of Finarfin) - Turkanfinwe

Sindar
    The Elves that didnt finish The Great Journey, and stayed in Middle-Earth.

Kingdom of Doriath - paladinbob123
    Falahtrim - Arrow2daknee

Edain
    The Men who came into Beleriand and fought for the Noldor.

House of Marach - Adanedhel
    House of Haldad - Arrow2daknee
    House of Beor - Turkafinwe

Eastrons
    The Easterlings who came into Beleriand, later than The Men. House of Bór fought for The Host of Feanor, but House of Ulfang later joined Morgoth.

House of Bór - King Athelstan
    House of Ulfang - Captain Melon

Avari
    The Elves who refused the summons from Valinor.

Laegrim - joerock22

Khazad
    Dwarves...

Khazad ai-Belegost - JCdestr0yer
    Khazad ai-Nogrod -
    CommodusIV

The roster is not final, need to talk to some ppl about whether they are ok about playing certain factions. A few people will be playing more factions, so we can have all factions. Turn order will be changed according to that, so the turns can be as fast as possible. If some people will drop (as it happens in every hotseat), players with a similar faction would sub. I will adjust the turn order to that.

Estimated Turn order so far is:

Dor Daedeloth (Morgoth's faction)
    Glaurung
    House of Ulfang
    Síleráth Ungoliant
    Raugdúath

Host of Fingolfin
    House of Marach
    Host of Feanor
    House of Bór
    Kingdom of Gondolin (of House of Fingolfin)

Kingdom of Nargothrond (of House of Finarfin)
    House of Beor
    Kingdom of Doriath
    Falahtrim
    House of Haldad

Khazad ai-Belegost
    Khazad ai-Nogrod
    Laegrim

I will post some lore roleplay stuff/rules in a few days, something to guide you a bit to play your faction properly (in regards to the lore), and something about the events etc. Probably something similar like in Black Drake, but in a smaller extent. I think it will be better to not make it entirely Good vs Evil, since some "good" factions have serious issues with each other, and some other just done care that much about Morgoth. Probably will add some small winning conditions, or some ways how to "win" the hotseat for the "good" factions.

I also remind everyone that in this hotseat the roleplay is what matters. And if someone cannot do that, than please let me know. That means all your actions and decisions should (as we are not perfect) come from the roleplay/lore reasons (what that specific character/general would do, etc) whenver possible, not do something just because it gives you advantage, and then "justify" it by the roleplay. It is of course up to everyone to choose a format for their roleplay...

Last edited by Jadli; August 12, 2018 at 06:44 AM.

Adanedhel's Avatar Campidoctor

Sounds great! I can take House Marach, too. I'll 100% confirm when I see the mod. As for forts, I'd rather see the mod first, but I'm flexible, can do it both ways.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

This appears reasonable. I'll give it a go.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?

joerock22's Avatar Leader of Third Age HS
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Jadli View Post
    Well, I actually have to test if its possible in this mod. In TES where I was using it, it should be possible, since there are several additional lore agent traits/ancillaries. As joe says, its based on infiltration, not the chance of opening gates. I dont really have much an opinion on whats better, so up to players, though I assume placing a spy inside your settlement doesnt decrease the chance of opening the gates for enemy agents?

Anyway, the purpose of this rule mostly is to protect important settlements, so I suppose we could as well just say the spies are not allowed to open gates on such settlements (if they cant get 80%, thats what it already means anyway).

Also, do you want to play with buildable forts?

I'll cast my vote for no buildable forts, but if the majority is against me then so be it.

Either spy rule is fine with me. I think you have to have some limit where a certain number of troops prevents the gates from being opened. Below that limit, you can have an infiltration rule or not. Having an infiltration rule allows you to counterspy (i.e. keep your own spy inside to lower the infiltration percentage of enemy spies)...that's why the rule requires you to re-infiltrate the settlement, so you can't get around the counterspy by infiltrating several turns in advance. All of which makes sense to me.

As far as I know, nothing can be done to reduce the actual chance of opening the gates. That is solely dependent on the number of spies infiltration and their skills.

I wasn't excited for this hotseat at first...but I'm starting to get there.

I wasn't excited for this hotseat at first...but I'm starting to get there.
    There are some cool names here, for instance me. My first game after a long break. Looking forward to this.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

I return in 6 days, not a few weeks, so might not need the sub after all. As for forts and spies, I agree with Joe's post above
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

PeaMan's Avatar Winter Is Coming

Turgon will march forth from Gondolin with a force of 10,000 strong even though it's not the 5th battle

Dr mac and I, together as the evil side? Well, anybody feel free to send me some relevant lore if able - some general guidelines for the RP.

I just know that we're going to have so much fun together.
    Don't be a prick, don't be a whiny little child - Stop White Genocide and Praise Jesus.

Very nice, Getting a good picture everybody? So we look nice and handsome and thin? Thank you. -The God Emperor, creating world peace and unforgettable memes
    https://twitter.com/RitaPanahi/statu...48737210662912 <-- Unforgettable face.

REDBOOSTY's Avatar Ducenarius

Better to be late then never to show up. If something is open(which I doubt) I will take it, if not I would like to be a substitute(replacer)
    "I never asked for this, no more than I asked to be king. Yet dare I disregard her? We do not choose our destinies. Yet we must ... we must do our duty, no? Great or small, we must do our duty"

-Stannis Baratheon

Gaming Emeritus

Well, I dont think we need more players rn, we will already be slow as it is. Im still kind of rearranging some factions, so will let you know. And in any case, as the hotseat will go on, some replacements will likely be needed

Wanted to inform you guys that I will be away from my pc from 6.08 to 10.08. This might not matter, if there are still tuning/balancing stuff to do with this sub-mod, but if it does matter, one of the allies can sub.

Gaming Emeritus

I finished the modding aspect of the hotseat, balancing and so on. Very soon we should upload the files. I think we will not add buildable forts, since it doesnt seem that there is anyone much eager about adding them. I also upgraded the map the in OP, since I changed ownership of a few settlements.

In a few days I will add a bit of RP/lore rules, and we can start. Might also change some players
    Last edited by Jadli; August 09, 2018 at 07:45 AM.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Very good! I would just like to say I'll be gone for a couple of days and will be back home monday, 13th of August, ready to play.

Gaming Emeritus

The Patch is finished, so you can now download the entire patched mod using this Download LINK (simply extract into your Medieval II/mods. Be careful to not merge it with your other TATW folders). Its for both, this hotseat as well as Dagor Ennor - War of the Dragons.

This mod has unique file swappers, changing some of the major files depending on what Age do you want to play in. Since we also have there a hotseat from the Third Age, you will need to switch between the ages each time to play turns from both hotseat (assuming you are in both hotseats). The swappers change many important files, such as recruitment, factions names, main campaign, and banners, thus you have to do it each time. The Swappers are located in .../mods/Third_Age_3. To swap to this hotseat, use "1st_Age_Beleriand.bat", for Dagor Ennor hotseat, use "3rd_Age.bat". After that use the usual "Third_Age.bat" to play the mod (or your desktop launcher).

The download already has The First Age as the main, so if you are playing only this hotseat, you can ignore all of I just said in the previous paragraph.

As for the changes I made. The First Age campaigns, as part of Dagor Ennor mod, have still been in alpha version, so there are some things not fully finished yet. Especially ancillaries/trait and units. Most of the units (names) availible were specifically from Third Age, or at least their names. I tried to remove all units that couldnt have existed in The First Age yet or renamed them/changed their descriptions, but there might likely be some left. Similar things I did with the ancillaries/traits. The Main changes however went to recruitment, factions balance in the campaign (the campaign in the download might be not be exactly the same as the one the save will be made on, as Ill likely polish a few hings) and so on. Dragon made similar adjustements in his part. He also changed population growths, enabled forts, slightly increased movement points, etc.

As for other news, the player roster and turn order is finalized. It seems Dr Mac disappeared, and Mith doesnt want to play without him, thus The Evil will be played by General Dragon. (who will be also admin) and Captain Melon. House of Bór will be added to King Athelstan, since the faction is tied to House of Feanor closely.

The normal rules should also be finished, so check them out. Aquiring 80% for spies should be possible, so I left it as it was. Forts are not allowed to be built in this hotseat, although they are buildable/destructible (as they are allowed in Dragon's Dagor Ennor), which means you shouldnt abandon the forts you are starting with, as otherwise you would loose them. This unusual way can be in my opinion interesting, as the enemy can for example damage you by taking them from you and then abandoning them to destroy your defences for the future. There are two types of forts, wooden ones (they look like a village, but cant be taken without a siege) and stone ones. Important rule that was also changed is the one regarding use of siege equipment, most importantly allowing Glaurung to take any settlements with any piece of siege equipment.

We will be starting very soon, right after I figure out some things regarding the lore rules.
    Last edited by Jadli; August 13, 2018 at 05:58 AM.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Still trying to piece together a medieval 2 folder in the first place, and then attempt to catch up on things. Ideally the game folder will be around very soon, can't comment on the mod itself.

But, considering I'm later in the turn order, perhaps that won't be a serious problem.