Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ancestral Update feedback

Default Ancestral Update feedback

Hello, I find several problems in the current Beta version, also I have some suggestions for additional improvement of the game.

Raindrop effect on the camera.

There used to be a screen effect of drops on the camera simulating the rain hitting the glass for some reason this disappeared but I look into the code and it seems is on, but is not rendered in the game.
    The effect was present in pre-Emperor Edition. When raining this effect was very nice but after some patching, the distortion effect broke and was left unfixed. The effect is still present in Attila for reference.

Water shader problem

Water Reflections on rivers

The new reflections in the game are great and one of the biggest requested fixes for the game from 2014 today, but for some reason, the reflections in the rivers don't render anymore, here are some examples.

Examples

The lack of buildings reflection and other objects

The trees also are no longer rendered

In And older Rome II version pre-EE patch reflections used to work.

Attila Example.

Rome II Example

There is a glitch rendering the unit flags UI reflection on the water.

When you hide the UI and the reflections disappear

Weather and Rain problems.

Rain texture problem when raining there is a texture on objects but there is an issue with it. The texture is very huge low res and blurry and the speed when moving is very fast and the result is like a glitch The problem is that the texture does not scale properly but stretch. In the first image, you can see the texture and the image below image from Attila with no issues.

Rome 2 texture problem

Attila hi-res texture and much slower animation

Aditional example from Attila, texture resolution is easily visible on the collum and the ship detail on the image below.

There is a glitch in fog weather with the god rays

Night Battles

The particles during night battles are very dim and dark also desaturated and look grayer then yellow

The night battle particles in Attila have some kind of a mask and the particles are brighter.

There is a problem with the lack of lighting for some units. Here is an example of the praetorian guard, there is no light and a torch.

Bugs and glitches

there is a problem with the shadow when you move the camera back

Campaign Map

Campaign map glitches

Beaches and rivers are broken right now
    There is a strange glitch with the beaches and lakes in the game, like a low poly polygonal squares, the rivers on the Nile delta for example disappeared.

This is how used to be before the update

In previews version, there used to be more grass around the Nile delta.

Seasons

With the latest patch, the seasons in the game became less pronounced, especially the autumn and the overall lighting in the campaign map became much darker. This makes some of the readability of the units harder. Because of the darker texture and flatter lighting overall detail is lost for example some bumps on the map are very difficult to see and the color of the trees is close to the grass and they blend and also the tree shadows are bearly visible that make the overall picture flat.

Spring

Patch 17

The overall picture is brighter and the shadows of the trees are more visible. Details like hills are easily visible. Every element blend, the CIties look 3d dimensional and the trees also. The normal map is highlighted, creating a lot of variation and detail in the map.

Ancestral Beta.

The overall images are much darker and flatter, the detail from above like hills and shadow is nearly gone. The trees now blend with the grass and this is not good. The cities on the map look like gray spots without the lighting that make them 3d in the previews patch. They don't cast shadow and don't have bright spots and looks much worse and defused also desaturated. They look like they are not from the environment but stamped on. The normal map dot reflects any lighting and the map looks much flatter and with less detail.

Summer.

Patch 17

The summer in patch 17 is very vibrant and hotter looking, the threes cast visible shadows to make them much more third dimensional and are clearly visible also they are with a different colder tone than the grass. This third-dimensional look is very visible on the cities as well with more highs on the different structures. The ground is much warmer.

Ancestral Beta.

The overall image looks good but again detail is lost and ist very visible on trees and cities, whit this much flatter defuse image the sense of 3d space is lost. The illusion of summer is not the same as before.

Autumn

Patch 17

The Autumn in the game looks pretty good, whit warmer overall tone, with yellow and orange lives from the trees. The forests look diverse with yellows and orange and red tone. creating the illusion of autumn.

Ancestral Beta.

The Autumn in the ancestral update looks like anything else but Autumn. The trees are brown flat and the lives that fall on the ground for some reason are white. There is some kind of blue fog and the image is very darker. The overall image must be much more colorful brighter and warmer.

Here is screenshot before the emperor edition not only the colors are more vivid but there are farms that give additional flavor on the map.

Winter

Patch 17

The winter here is brighter and objects again are more visible

Ancestral Beta

I actually like the darker lighting for the winter season but again a little bit contrast will make the objects better visible. The winter overall looks good and need a little tweaking.

Deserts

Patch 17

The desert here looks very warm and hot place as should be, there is a glow and very contrast light in it with the heat distortion combine looks very unhospitable and hot place.

Ancestral Beta

In the Ancestral Beta, the desert looks very cold and green compared to the previews version. No longer there is high contrast or glow, the orange color is gone for more desaturated dull tone. The previews atmosphere depicts a dessert better.

The Farms are missing.

There used to be farms around cities and roads, strangely they disappeared from the map. they are in Attila and any other TW game to date. They represent the countryside around cities.

The cities don't look like are part of the environment

Patch 17

Here the cities look like a part of the environment and the cast shadow

Ancestral beta

The cities right now look like they are stamped on the map, they are white and don't have many highs also doesn't look to cast shadows like before. Also, the roads look like only a white line before they have a yellow-orange outline outside the main road suttle but make like the road transition very slightly to grass.

Early version and EE

The cities used to be very bright and colorful with varied land around them with multiple textures blending.

Ancestral beta

The cities now look flat, the texture around them is very similar with no diversity and overall very dark. The shadows of the trees look not so long. There needs to be more variety in the textures like different tones of green and yellow.

Fog on campaign map

The fog is very strong and bluish, I think the tone of the fog must be season specific, more bluish in the winter, little bit green during spring, with warmer summer tone and saturated yellow-orange tint during autumn also the strength of the fog must be lowered

Vegetation Alpha bug

A glitch with the vegetation alpha it's very noticeable when is raining, "The bug is a light radius that follows you while moving around, it removes shadows from units and lights up foliage. Thought this would be an important bug to fix as many appreciate to see the closeup fights!"

Fog during Battles

There is strong blue fog when the rain is light and there are no wet surfaces when it happens.

The sandstorms sand textures are bearly visible in Rome II

The sandstorm flying cloud texture is not as visible as it in Attila, you can see the comparison below
    In Rome II we have more like a regular fog. Before there was a pronounced cloud texture but with the patches was almost removed.

In Attila, we not only have fog but a sand cloud texture

The fog during the spring is very blue and saturated and compare to the other 3 seasons have very low distance.

Other seasons don't have this very saturated blue ting

In Attila, the spring fog is also desaturated and the draw distance is even smaller making the fog more realistic.
    This was the case before the EE update.

The effect is present in the city also.

The other seasons are not affected

Ceaser is missing when selected as general on custom battle

Features

The film grain currently is a bit too strong, the size of the grain can be lowered.

Dust when units walking and running.
    This feature was present in past Total War titles but in Rome II it was removed. In deserts or dry land when soldiers or cavalry run they didn't bring up the dust. This feature must make his return to Rome II after I saw it in Attila.

Armies number bar information
    This is a great feature in Attila and needs to go to Rome II as well.

Highlighting units as triangles when holding space, currently, this is done by pressing the action button in the middle of the screen and the highlight is circle not triangles showing the soldiers direction. When dragging ships in Rome there is no circle around the ship like in Attila but a 3d model and different art direction to the rest of the game

When holding alt in Attila there are circles in the same UI style.

Unit strength number replenishment bar instead of a green cross will be much better, you can clearly see how much your army will be replenished next turn, this is much better information.

Particles

Particles in Rome 2 originally were near the quality of the previews games and Attila but something happened after the game launch. In this post, the town down the projectiles but I think this was a wrong decision. First, this have gameplay design behind it with a purpose of readability when you play with top distance camera. Second, this can be added as a toggled option in the menu. In the screenshot can be seen also a dust from an impact on the shields. This was in the game in Vanilla but was removed with the patches.

Better particle system.
    Attila has similar particle system to the siege of Carthage video for Rome II.

Rome 2 particles system is very basic with low-resolution particles with lower quality even then Shogun 2. I hope CA will introduce the particle system from Attila to Rome II in the future. Also, the particle visible range is very limited please make the range of the particles similar to shogun and Attila on the extreme setting and the range of LOD in general.

Sogun 2 particles detail and distance compared to Rome II

Default Re: Ancestral Update feedback

I want to add several features and bugs fixing

1 The ability when ending turn whit a miniature like in Attila to go to the general who needs upgrading or the region that needs edicts.
    2 The ability to issue edict when you don't control all of the provinces like in Attila.
    3 The ability to change capital.
    4 The ability to sale buy gives a region.
    5 Make the rivers more transparent where the armies can cross, after the last patch the bottom is bearly visible.
    6 New map mod, showing which province have edicts.
    7 Increase navies range, now navies have a smaller range than armies on land, people use ships to move faster...
    8 Remove the attrition when signing, this is the most annoying feature for me, I'm glad CA remove it from the latest titles, this error needs correction here too.
    9 Torches should not burn metal gates.
    10 there is a bug, triumphs no longer show in the grand campaign.
    11. In Empire divided Roman soldiers should have spatha, in third-century Rome adopted the spatha.
    12. Sometimes the game slows down a lot when alt-tabbing.

1 The ability when ending turn, go to a general who need upgrading or a region that need edicts with a magnifier, like in Attila

Hey biohazard great work but if you turn your gamma on 10 and brightness on 20 your game will look more vibrant like the older pics. This completely changed the look of thew game for me.

It seems like devs are active on official Total War forums. I would feel sorry if they won't see your epic feedback. Try to post there too, I guess.

Better post it in official forum.

Quote Originally Posted by natethegreat2002 View Post
    Hey biohazard great work but if you turn your gamma on 10 and brightness on 20 your game will look more vibrant like the older pics. This completely changed the look of thew game for me.
    I know what you mean but the problem is that the lighting is changed just bumping the brightness won't resolve this issue, this must be done from the engine.

I have some problem with their forum, for some reason the images can't load there, but I did a thread here with a link from here and I personally contact the developers and send them the thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Vardano View Post
    It seems like devs are active on official Total War forums. I would feel sorry if they won't see your epic feedback. Try to post there too, I guess.

Can you please post this bugs and glitches in the main forum? they are answering to everyone almost everyday.
    https://forums.totalwar.com/categori...update-support

Well my campaign looks completely different then your ancestral beta patch. I have very vibrant colors. seasons also effect lighting of battle maps, for example winter looks dull and cold but summer is bright and has the best lighting in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by natethegreat2002 View Post
    Well my campaign looks completely different then your ancestral beta patch. I have very vibrant colors. seasons also effect lighting of battle maps, for example winter looks dull and cold but summer is bright and has the best lighting in my opinion.
    Are you sure you update the game, I tested with another build and the difference is striking?

I have screen shots just how do i put them on here?

Oh I see that you took the quote from my bug report ( The light radius bug ), I'm glad your putting everything here together.
    However there is some issues that some of you have that I don't, as for example the farm ground textures is shown for me.
    Some doesnt get the triumph notification, however mine is bugged and is notified every turn...

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

The difference playing Carthage between hard and very hard is insane. The politics system makes early game secession inevitable given the penalties combined with all the AI bonuses. Here's a secessionist force holding only one region six turns after revolting (almost two stacks plus navy, working on a third ):

Also having trouble landing my ships when defending in town or siege battles. The ships just move around a bit and then stop. Eventually I can get one or more to land after repeated commands, usually half way or longer through a battle.

Foliage sometimes isn't rendered, highest settings, 4K resolution:

Last edited by Huberto; July 23, 2018 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post

Also having trouble landing my ships when defending in town or siege battles. The ships just move around a bit and then stop. Eventually I can get one or more to land after repeated commands, usually half way or longer through a battle.
    Same here though the third time it happened I had to land them much further along the coast away from the settlement

Are supposed the hired politicisns to appear in the other nobles section? In the family tree área?
    Im Notfall sure if when you hire them they sound appear there couse I have none of then

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Quote Originally Posted by sinuhe2 View Post
    Are supposed the hired politicisns to appear in the other nobles section? In the family tree área?
    Im Notfall sure if when you hire them they sound appear there couse I have none of then
    Basically Family Tree is people who are related to the ruling family, while Other Nobles are other members of your party not related to the ruling family.

So if you just hire a politician who is a member of your party they'll be one of the Other Nobles. If you adopt them into the family, they move to the family tree.

Hope that helps.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by sinuhe2 View Post
    If you hover over the politicians you're hiring, are they members of your ruling party? If they are, then as Welsh Dragon said, they'll appear in the right-hand column. If they belong to a rival party (as the politicians available to hire often do, in my campaigns) then they'll appear in the left-hand column.

If they are members of your party, you might be able to use the 'adoption' intrigue to make them members of your family. It seems to be a good idea to keep using your leader as a general, winning battles, as this improves the leader's traits which makes adoption easier.
    Last edited by Alwyn; July 27, 2018 at 05:08 AM.

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

You can also "Entice" other Important Characters in other parties to your own party (not family) as well, which is kind of over-powered at the moment since it always succeeds. Before the Ancestral update, the "Bribe" ability was used to get other party members into your own party, but at least there was a chance of it failing which increased based on the target's gravitas level.
    Last edited by Benjin; July 27, 2018 at 06:30 AM.
    3D ARTIST (MODELS/TEXTURES), ANIMATOR, RIGGER

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Please post this in the official total war forums!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast