Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Dude's Classrom

Default Re: The Dude's Classrom

I've got two years of Latin instruction under my belt, for what it's worth. I'm patient though - becoming conversational would be nice!

I'm very flexible, I'm Happy
    if I learn to interact on a basic level.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

I'd go with the more informal way

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

ok so it seems that all in all a more informal course is a solid possibility, so basically the structure will be something like this

- 3/5 lessons with some basic Italian grammar rules; I think that I can give you some links to where you can expand about those rules if you wish so.. we are in internet times that it makes little sense to not to exploit online info, when available

- some 5-7 lessons focused on learning about conversational Italian

- 1 or 2 mid term tests and a final exam

I think we can work mainly on simple texts of your choice that you can submit and that I will help correct and thus do a sort of practical learning

@ Skotos; I can't commit right now, but considering that I'm busy with a lot of things on TWC and RL, I don't see how I can start this before March
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Skotos of Sinope's Avatar Macstre Gaposal

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post

I think we can work mainly on simple texts of your choice that you can submit and that I will help correct and thus do a sort of practical learning

@ Skotos; I can't commit right now, but considering that I'm busy with a lot of things on TWC and RL, I don't see how I can start this before March
    Awesome!

March is just perfect for my schedule. As far as sample texts, would these be self-selected or our choice of several options you provide? I'm not trying to pin you down to get too specific this early, so it's fine if you can't answer yet. But could it possibly be in the form of passages of an academic book that I've been wanting to be able to read/translate? While something like that may be considered too advanced for a course like this, it might paradoxically be easier in some ways because it's my field of research, so it shares a lot of vocabulary and subject matter that I'm already familiar with.

But like I said, it's fine if a lot of this is up in the air at the moment. In any event, thanks for doing this, Flinn. I'm really looking forward to this.
    Last edited by Skotos of Sinope; January 14, 2019 at 06:05 PM.

I would be interested in this.

Blog Entries

thnaks everybody for the input

I'll be back on this anytime in the future, but for the moment I'm very much busy with too many things
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Hey Flinn,

I'm in for both courses. I think I'd get more out of the Italian one though, as I think I already have a fair handle on how to write reviews/do interviews (though I would still be into that class at some point in the future). At any rate, that seems to be the one that's looking more solid for the moment. As far as timing goes, March would be ideal for me, as I have an essay deadline the 1st of March, so I am swamped until then. But once things are live, I am totally in!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Skotos of Sinope's Avatar Macstre Gaposal

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    Hey Flinn,

I'm in for both courses. I think I'd get more out of the Italian one though, as I think I already have a fair handle on how to write reviews/do interviews (though I would still be into that class at some point in the future). At any rate, that seems to be the one that's looking more solid for the moment. As far as timing goes, March would be ideal for me, as I have an essay deadline the 1st of March, so I am swamped until then. But once things are live, I am totally in!
    Ciao, Kilo! Awesome. Now you can correct my typos in Italian as well as English!

Not sure about that Skotos. If you ever use German, I can correct that (to a passable degree), but that is about it. Italian is a new bag of tricks for me. But I anticipate it will be a verrryy fun-ah!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Blog Entries

Yes mid-March sounds like the first possible period for this class to start

Io sono in pace

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

I don’t have much experience in Italian, but I have taken French classes. I’d like to join
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    I don’t have much experience in Italian, but I have taken French classes. I’d like to join
    noted

I'd like to participate on the second, What should I do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vgsknot View Post
    I'd like to participate on the second, What should I do?
    I suppose you refer to the review/interview course, if so I will contact you about when I will be ready to run it

Blog Entries

so, March is getting closer; I'm still busy with the Modding Awards ATM, but I will start to prepare at the least some 2-3 lessons to give it a go. I plan to start around mid March with the Italian course, but it's not unlikely that it will be postponed.

Indefinitely Banned

I would like to sign up if I may.

Blog Entries

which of the two? the basic Italian class?

Indefinitely Banned

Yes sir, the basic Italian classes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast