Thread: Request for help with removing black background

Default Request for help with removing black background

Hi guys,

I need some help with creating a new set of explosions for a game series called Combat Mission. After trying to do it myself I have had to come to terms with the fact that it is beyond my amateurish skills.

Here's what I did and need to be done:

First, I found a free explosion video online that I liked and downloaded and converted the video into frames in .JPG format using a free program called "Free Video to JPG Converter".

Next, I needed to remove the black background from the .JPGs and save them in 32-bit .BMP format with an alpha channel.
    I have managed to save them in the right format with a free program called "Pixelformer"
    To remove the black background I've tried using the magic wand tool in Pixelformer, but it leaves black bits that show up in-game.

I'm guessing there a better way to do it, and perhaps a better program?

PS:
    Attached is a zip with one frame in the original .JPG format and in the 32-bit .BMP format that the game needs, in case someone wants to have a look or give it a try.
    I've also attached a frame from a mod as a template
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by AtheistDane; July 12, 2018 at 05:02 PM.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Request for help with removing black background

I've moved your request to the right location

I'll see what I can do but don't expect anything within a short term period (quite busy these days) unless somebody else takes the job

Edit: I've just had a look on the attached file. There's only 1 pic. If it's what you need, why don't you try to find a nice explosion pic in .png format (with a transparent background) on internet? Then you'd just need to convert it to the right format. That should be much easier that way or did I miss something?
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; July 12, 2018 at 04:57 PM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Thanks a lot
    Any help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    Edit: I've just had a look on the attached file. There's only 1 pic. If it's what you need, why don't you try to find a nice explosion pic in .png format (with a transparent background) on internet? Then you'd just need to convert it to the right format. That should be much easier that way or did I miss something?
    Frame.7z should have the same pic in two formats. I've also attached Mod.7z which has a single frame from a mod.

The game uses up to 30 frames to create an explosion, so 1 pic won't do the trick unfortunately.

Update:

So if I use GIMP and go to colors/color to alpha and select black I get a perfect transparent background and cutout of the explosion, however, when I save it the colors get messed up.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

What do you mean "the colors get messed up"?

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

By the way if the game is 3D then you cannot import explosions like this.
    In 3D games explosions are 3D light effects.
    With your way you will only manage (best possible scenario) to import a 2D color effect.

The explosion is 2D and made up of 30 frames.

By messed up colors I mean like in the attachment.
    Attached Files Attached Files