Thread: Are SPQR story missions mandatory?

Default Are SPQR story missions mandatory?

I have checked the guide and tried searches, but I cannot find information on whether there will be repercussions for not following the scripted historical storyline ( I guess we could call them senate missions) in the Romani campaign. Let's say that I want to expand north and not do away with the traitors in Rhegion at the first opportunity. Am I looking forward to some trouble later on, or will the option to take Rhegion and continue the storyline be there indefinitely?

Perhaps role playing it and going with the flow would make sense, but somehow I feel like not getting involved and perhaps ending up in wars I do not want for the time being.

Default Re: Are SPQR story missions mandatory?

I believe those function more like advice,rather than missions.

Morrowgan's Avatar Centenarius

It's easier to take the south first anyway.
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project

I didn't start taking south until I was reading "This Year in History" and found out historically the Romans had already taken the south in that year, while in game with all the conveniences I lagged behind my historical counterpart...

Thanks, guys. I guess it is simply a matter of scripted events and not like the Senate missions from the original in which you can hurt your standing if you do not comply. I just felt too powerless going against Carthage while commanding very few economically challenged regions and seeing rebel/Eleutheroi factions fielding almost full stacks left and right at the same time. Doing a bit of exploration, I noticed that the actual non-player factions do not have such numbers at least in their colonies. The balance of military power has apparently been changed from the original RTW, in which the rebel factions were weak.

@Morrowgan Ok, thanks for confirming that. After a seriously costly war in Liguria, I think I'll turn south now after all.

I'm fairly certain the Roman missions are pretty much there for flavour and to point you in the right sort of direction. As such they're fairly inconsequential.

Other factions have missions that do have fail states/time limits and these are explicitly signposted. E.g. Baktrian missions will tell you: do such-and-such before such-and-such a time or you will miss out on your reward and displease your overlord.

I appreciate all advice. For anyone who has fought Carthage in previous games/mods/playthroughs and feel like something else, I advise going East after Epeiros instead. I have found plenty of interesting action and challenge so far there with factions competing over the wealthy lands of the Greeks. Carthage can wait for now.