Thread: Can I easily install DBM 2, without breaking DBM 1 install?

Default Can I easily install DBM 2, without breaking DBM 1 install?

DBM Noob here.

I recently installed DBM 1, I am really liking it, but feel the game could use some rebalance, alteration, etc--a concept I assume may be addressed in in DBM 2. Are.the folders etc all separate so that an install would allow me to also play 1 unhindered? Is it just as simple as downloading & giving it a go?

I wouldn't bother the community with such minutia, but I have very slow, unreliable rural internet.

I appreciate any help in advance.

Default Re: Can I easily install DBM 2, without breaking DBM 1 install?

You will need to follow a few very simple steps, as in my great 'anticipation' skills, I didn't separate the earlier build versions used eventually to make the beta 2.0 with rafmc. Important, read the end of the post about the 'rebalance' part before proceeding, in case.

Rest easy, once downloaded, the steps will only take a minute:
    1,Once downloaded, extract the new DBM rar anywhere but not directly in your main installation/mods directory
    2, Go to the new DBM folder you extracted, then rename it DBM2. Next, open the DBM.cfg with notepad++, freeware easily downloadable, just choose the right version, 32 or 64 bit according to your system:
    https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.5.6.html
    3, find these lines:
    Code:
    [features]
    mod = mods\DBM

[log]
    to = mods/DBM/logs/system.log.txt
    Change them to:
    Code:
    [features]
    mod = mods\DBM2

[log]
    to = mods/DBM2/logs/system.log.txt
    4, last step, download the bat file from there and place it in your DBM2 folder, let it overwrite the old bat:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post15489289

Open the new bat with notepad++, it's what you should see:
    Code:
    cd ..\..
    IF EXIST kingdoms.exe (start kingdoms.exe @mods\DBM\DBM.cfg) ELSE (
    IF EXIST medieval2.exe (start medieval2.exe @mods\DBM\DBM.cfg) ELSE (
        echo ERROR: Cannot find the M2TW executable.
        echo You probably installed the mod into the wrong folder.
        pause
      )
    )
    Replace by:

Code:
    cd ..\..
    IF EXIST kingdoms.exe (start kingdoms.exe @mods\DBM2\DBM.cfg) ELSE (
    IF EXIST medieval2.exe (start medieval2.exe @mods\DBM2\DBM.cfg) ELSE (
        echo ERROR: Cannot find the M2TW executable.
        echo You probably installed the mod into the wrong folder.
        pause
      )
    )
    That's it, you now have the new version in a separate folder that won't overwrite the first. Place your DBM2 folder in your installation/mods folder.
    Please also read my advices to Lucasgugli here, especially regarding the 4GB patch, very important:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post15605696

Finally, a note on things I thought about lately. I am almost sure that some hasty tests monitors of mine made it in the campaign script of this version, interfering with at least a part of what few of my old shaped scripted features are in there along with rafmc own scripts. Joy of team work on the same files and trying to merge them, in short.
    At least it doesn't appear game breaking since nobody noticed except me, logicaly since if I am right, only a old version of my system and civils wars for romans are affected, but I could still be wrong, this deduction being based on findings made during reshaping many scripts not present in this version, and with only my features, not rafmc's.

Ah, and about the rebalance, many things are differents from the original DBM, it's not a rebalance mod, more like a overhaul and I can't say if my base concepts, such as the new map and much longer campaign among other things, play well in this version. My mod play well now but it's very far from DBM 2.0 in it's current beta state. I don't know what rafmc came up with for his future complete version since, but passing him content became more complicated than expected lately, our mods being very different, too much incompatible to work on easy/fast merging.
    Just to say that if it is some pure rebalances in the original DBM style you seek, this overhaul might not be what you expect.

Once again, selv saves the day. I'd +rep you if i could. Thanks again

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad The Mad View Post
    Once again, selv saves the day. I'd +rep you if i could. Thanks again
    Or you could just rename the DBM-folder and play the one you want for the moment. I have many versions of mods at the same time by renaming them. The one i want to play is named the original name and the rest are changed.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal