Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: [SS 6.4] God's Justice (Crusader States AAR, with BGR IV and more!) Complete + Behind the Scenes

Default Re: [SS 6.4] God's Justice (Crusader States AAR, with BGR IV and more!)

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    I must admit I'm a little confused as to what you mean by show the enemy for what they are. Are you trying to say something like get him to mingle with the Saracens in the city, or write a report about the more civil, less war type concerns of the people?
    What I was trying to get at is that the stuff from all the crusader's is going to be by necessity somewhat biased. However, you make a point here of stating that Robin and the other scribes are supposed to be unbiased, impartial. I thought it might be cool to periodically have single letters or notes written by Robin which tell about what is happening in an unbiased way. Then you could show little acts of kindness the Jihadists show, or small acts of cruelty that on the part of the crusaders, but which they would be likely to turn a blind eye toward.

To put it more carefully, here is my thought. If your writing was supposed to be a recounting of the events from a crusader after all of this is done, then it would be very biased, because he'd likely forget the terrors he caused, and remember his own actions in a way that always paints him as the "good guy". You're not doing that, so that at least is good. What you are doing is writing from their perspective, (but not as thought it is the memoirs of one of them), and that makes it a bit more honest, but if you're writing it really from their perspective, then there are some things they simply won't see, or won't see properly. For example, suppose there is a farmstead outside Jerusalem which is being attacked by bandits, and the Saracens approaching the city decide to help, to protect the innocent. They draw swords and start fighting off the bandits, killing many of them in the process. Some crusaders come by, and they just assume the bandits are actually some of the farmers or farmhands, and they attack the Saracens, ultimately killing all of them. When all of this over, the crusaders will just believe the Saracens were pillaging and murdering, and that they (the crusaders) "saved the day", when in fact they murdered enemy soldiers who were protecting the innocent. This doesn't mean the crusaders are necessarily lying to themselves; the narrative that automatically gets written in their head is simply going to be biased. I thought it might be cool to have Robin show how sometimes this happens, by maybe recounting here and there some events that your crusaders are treating as "acts of good", when they are in fact acts of evil that are only thought to be good because they cannot see the enemy for what they are, which is people like themselves.

Does that make sense, or is it too complicated?
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    What I was trying to get at is that the stuff from all the crusader's is going to be by necessity somewhat biased. However, you make a point here of stating that Robin and the other scribes are supposed to be unbiased, impartial. I thought it might be cool to periodically have single letters or notes written by Robin which tell about what is happening in an unbiased way. Then you could show little acts of kindness the Jihadists show, or small acts of cruelty that on the part of the crusaders, but which they would be likely to turn a blind eye toward.

To put it more carefully, here is my thought. If your writing was supposed to be a recounting of the events from a crusader after all of this is done, then it would be very biased, because he'd likely forget the terrors he caused, and remember his own actions in a way that always paints him as the "good guy". You're not doing that, so that at least is good. What you are doing is writing from their perspective, (but not as thought it is the memoirs of one of them), and that makes it a bit more honest, but if you're writing it really from their perspective, then there are some things they simply won't see, or won't see properly. For example, suppose there is a farmstead outside Jerusalem which is being attacked by bandits, and the Saracens approaching the city decide to help, to protect the innocent. They draw swords and start fighting off the bandits, killing many of them in the process. Some crusaders come by, and they just assume the bandits are actually some of the farmers or farmhands, and they attack the Saracens, ultimately killing all of them. When all of this over, the crusaders will just believe the Saracens were pillaging and murdering, and that they (the crusaders) "saved the day", when in fact they murdered enemy soldiers who were protecting the innocent. This doesn't mean the crusaders are necessarily lying to themselves; the narrative that automatically gets written in their head is simply going to be biased. I thought it might be cool to have Robin show how sometimes this happens, by maybe recounting here and there some events that your crusaders are treating as "acts of good", when they are in fact acts of evil that are only thought to be good because they cannot see the enemy for what they are, which is people like themselves.

Does that make sense, or is it too complicated?
    Right, right, I see what you're getting at now. I've actually started work on that and I think I've sort of got what you wanted down. I have to thank you (again) for giving me inspiration for the next chapter, it's always good to have fresh ideas. Also, your detailed example was very helpful. Don't worry, I don't think I've seen a post that you have never made sense in. It makes sense

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I enjoyed the interlude, too. Initially I was confused about the most recent battle recorded by the Junior Master, because I remembered that as a defeat (but the Junior Master records it as a Clear Victory). But I guess I'm remembering it wrong, and actually it was a victory, even though - as the chronicler says - it was brutal.

Kilo11's thoughts on different perspectives look good to me, as well.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I enjoyed the interlude, too. Initially I was confused about the most recent battle recorded by the Junior Master, because I remembered that as a defeat (but the Junior Master records it as a Clear Victory). But I guess I'm remembering it wrong, and actually it was a victory, even though - as the chronicler says - it was brutal.

Kilo11's thoughts on different perspectives look good to me, as well.
    A-ha! I didn't actually put a victory screencap for the battle - it ended with the troops retreating to the castle square. Though it did look like defeat was coming! I guess we'll just have to wait for the report to come in

Indeed, it is a privilege to receive his insight.

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

These Interludes are always a lovely experience, looking at the campaign from this dry perspective.

Indeed the scribes should be impartial, but are they really though? I guess we'll have to wait for the next chapters to come.

Read the first chap this morning, and some of the second so far. It's sad the poor kid hasn't even been outside the Royal Compound at twelve. And Holy Piety Batman! The kid's a saint! Lol

Can't wait for his first battle. His reactions about life are already growing on me.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    These Interludes are always a lovely experience, looking at the campaign from this dry perspective.

Indeed the scribes should be impartial, but are they really though? I guess we'll have to wait for the next chapters to come.
    Well then you're gonna love the next chapter! I can't have too many interludes, though, imagine if I end up with 5 or 6 interludes. That means this will be over 80 chapters long! That's insaaaaane!

Hmm, you make a good point there with the scribes. I shall expand more on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aga_Sher_Khan View Post
    Read the first chap this morning, and some of the second so far. It's sad the poor kid hasn't even been outside the Royal Compound at twelve. And Holy Piety Batman! The kid's a saint! Lol

Can't wait for his first battle. His reactions about life are already growing on me.
    Hello Aga Sher Khan!

It is my pleasure to welcome you to TWC! *pauses* *thinks* Wait...there's some sort of formal greeting thingy I'm supposed to say, right? *whispers to Turkafinwe* Psst, buddy! Where's my script? What do you mean there's no script? Argh...

*dashes back* Well, I had to go err, take care of something. Anyway, I'm glad you decided to stick around the Writer's Study, we're a bunch of friendly and welcoming people, so I do hope you eventually join our little community!

For a start, you should read these two posts: This one deals with the Writer's Study and this one deals with the basics of being a member of TWC.

If you're not sure of anything, you can always ask me. Hope you have a great stay here, whatever the duration

Edit(oh you can't do this yet, you need to be a member for a week and have 25 posts): Ahh, I got so caught up linking that I forgot to respond to your comment. Thank you kindly for reading my work! It's true, medieval times were harsh...and yes there was nothing I could do about the piety, it shot up while he was staying in Jerusalem Not that I'm complaining.

Right, about that, you actually have to wait a while for his first battle. I kind of messed up my planning and the intro to this whole story is a lot more convoluted than I would have preferred. If you somehow survive reading past chapter 16, it's more smooth sailing after that.
    Last edited by Swaeft; January 07, 2019 at 07:31 AM.

Well then you're gonna love the next chapter! I can't have too many interludes, though, imagine if I end up with 5 or 6 interludes. That means this will be over 80 chapters long! That's insaaaaane!

Hmm, you make a good point there with the scribes. I shall expand more on that.

Hello Aga Sher Khan!

It is my pleasure to welcome you to TWC! *pauses* *thinks* Wait...there's some sort of formal greeting thingy I'm supposed to say, right? *whispers to Turkafinwe* Psst, buddy! Where's my script? What do you mean there's no script? Argh...

*dashes back* Well, I had to go err, take care of something. Anyway, I'm glad you decided to stick around the Writer's Study, we're a bunch of friendly and welcoming people, so I do hope you eventually join our little community!

For a start, you should read these two posts: This one deals with the Writer's Study and this one deals with the basics of being a member of TWC.

If you're not sure of anything, you can always ask me. Hope you have a great stay here, whatever the duration

Edit(oh you can't do this yet, you need to be a member for a week and have 25 posts): Ahh, I got so caught up linking that I forgot to respond to your comment. Thank you kindly for reading my work! It's true, medieval times were harsh...and yes there was nothing I could do about the piety, it shot up while he was staying in Jerusalem Not that I'm complaining.

Right, about that, you actually have to wait a while for his first battle. I kind of messed up my planning and the intro to this whole story is a lot more convoluted than I would have preferred. If you somehow survive reading past chapter 16, it's more smooth sailing after that.
    Hey thanks for the warm welcome! And the visitor message (can't seem to post visitor pms myself, it's probably a restriction for new members, I'll read the links you said later today to learn more).

You hit it on the nail btw, there is a lot of content and UI to absorb and it can be overwhelming(esp my first day), but everyone is very friendly and thorough in their participation so it's a nice change from other mediums and fun to discover new stuff. Like finding this WS corner was perfect; you guys have quality fiction content here I can read for days. This AAR stuff if pretty cool, sucks I couldn't have found it sooner.

Thanks again for the introduction, it's nice to be greeted so quickly by veterans. Good stuff, looking forward to continuing the journey with Lord Jean, I hope his horse doesn't die too quickly :p

Haha thank you for the warm welcome and the visitor pm (not sure I can return the favor, I don't see the option yet). It's nice to be greeted so quickly and nicely by the vets.Those links will help a lot btw. Writer's study was a pleasant discovery for me, you guys have some real quality content here (no more sleeping on the commute to work for me). Looking forward to reading the rest of Lord Jean's journey, hope his horse doesn't die too quickly
    Last edited by Swaeft; January 09, 2019 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Merged posts

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Don't worry about it, that was exactly how I felt when I discovered this place...in 2013. (And I thought of the same words you did, it sucks I didn't find it sooner.) And it still hasn't changed! A trove of information and lots of stories that may never be read but deserve to be. I'm going to assume internet failure/posting issues for the double post, I hope you don't mind if I merge that for you.

You don't have to reply to all Visitor messages, and personally I won't feel offended if you don't, I'm here to welcome you after all...no promises about the horse, though it seems to be doing fine so far

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Irony! I dropped off the world or at least TWC for about month and needed to catch up on things. The Interlude was the perfect addition to this great AAR. My emory is not as good as it once was and this style of writing helps a great deal. I will remember to have an interlude once my own AARs re long enough to to justify such.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Glad you liked it NorseThing, I love it as well (can't believe it was a random brainwave).

Next chapter coming in a few hours...or minutes. Please remember to rep Kilo11 generously for his contribution in suggesting the type of chapter it should be.

Side Note: I realized (rather late) it was probably insensitive of me to use Robin's name, and more importantly the 'de Bodemloze' part, so I changed it to Robert.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Character List

High Lord Jean de Brienne the Honourable – King of Jerusalem and the Crusader States
    Marie de Lusignan – Wife of High Lord Jean, Queen of Jerusalem and the Crusader States
    Lord Jean de Brienne – First Prince of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, War Council Member
    Joan de Brienne – Wife of Lord Jean, Princess of Jerusalem and the Crusader States
    Henri de Lusignan – Close friend, cousin and later brother in law to Lord Jean
    Yolande de Lusignan – Older sister of Lord Jean, wife to Henri de Lusignan, Princess of Jerusalem and the Crusader States
    Baudouin de Brienne - Younger Brother of Lord Jean, Second Prince of Jerusalem

Bohemond de Poitiers the Chivalrous – Count of Tortosa, War Council member
    Melisende de Lusignan – Wife of Bohemond de Poitiers

Jean d’Ibelin – Deceased Prince of Acre, Grand Uncle to Lord Jean, Uncle to High Lord Jean
    Melisende – Wife of Jean d’Ibelin
    Balian d’Ibelin – Deceased son of Jean d’Ibelin

Philip d’Ibelin – Duke of Nicosia, Grandmaster of the Knights Templar, Grand Uncle to Lord Jean, Uncle to High Lord Jean
    Alix – Wife of Philip d’Ibelin
    Jean d’Ibelin – Deceased son of Philip d’Ibelin

Lord Tigel de Linus - Commander of Jerusalem's garrison, its Master-at-Arms, and Adviser to Lord Jean, and now Constable of Jerusalem
    Cardinal Reynaud - Former Presiding Cardinal in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Adviser to Lord Jean
    Sir Raimondo - The First Prince's bodyguard Captain
    Alvaro - One of the First Prince's bodyguards
    Foucaud – Deceased former Spymaster
    Gaston de Rocafolio – Spymaster
    Colin – Diplomat
    Gautier Corbet – Diplomat
    Pierre Dupuy – Diplomat
    Denethor the Second – Court jester/fool
    Chirgeon – Stable Master in Jerusalem
    Paragon – Treasurer on the Council of Nobles
    Sir Anduril – Hospitaller Knight
    Robert de Quar - Junior Master scribe to the Royal Chronicler
    Stefano - A mystery...for now

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

From the Perspective of Robert de Quar, Junior Master Scribe of the Royal Chronicler’s Office, The City of Jerusalem, 1239 AD.

Should I have gone with them?

I sat in the office of the Royal Chronicler, shaking my head slowly and questioning the decision I’d made last year.

Perhaps if I had gone with them to Cyprus, I would not have seen…

There were no words for what I’d seen. I stared dolefully at the sigil. Our sigil. Deus Videt Omnia. I jumped to my feet in a spurt of anger. “ARE YOU SEEING THIS, LORD? DO YOU EVEN DARE FEAST YOUR EYES UPON THIS DEN OF INIQUITY, THIS WHICH IS PURPORTED TO BE YOUR HOLY GRAIL?”

The walls stared back at me, silent in their mockery. A few sheets of parchment ruffled themselves, whether it was from the shockwaves of my rage or from the air I’d stirred up by waving my hands aimlessly, I didn’t know. It didn’t matter. I sat back down, and glanced towards the empty wine bottle in front of me, and beyond it, the numerous reports I had compiled.

No one wants to see those. I pinched the bridge of my nose. I could get hanged for publishing these.

My limbs protested as I leaned over and snatched the reports up. A year’s worth of work. Probably going to go to waste.

I sighed and resolved to read through them one more time before discarding them.
    Report from the Constable’s Office, authored by Robert de Quar, 1238 AD

I spent a full day at the Constable’s Office, observing everything that happened. I was initially denied entry, but once I showed them the sigil of the Royal Chronicler’s office, I was allowed to stand in the Hall of Judgement, and watch God’s Justice being meted out.

At full strength the Constable’s Office numbered forty one – twenty judges and twenty administrators, overseen by the Constable, currently Lord Tigel de Linus.

Now there were less than ten.

Every day more petitioners come to the Hall of Judgement and presented themselves and their case to one of the judges. From what I observed, Christian men almost always won their case if their opponent was a Saracen, and any dissenters were removed from the Hall forcefully. Those lucky enough to be assigned to Lord Tigel de Linus had the closest thing to a fair hearing, though I couldn’t say for sure that he was impartial.

One case made me weak at the knees. A tearful Saracen woman had waited her turn silently, and when called upon presented her case with intermittent sobbing. Her family was destitute, and in order to raise money to escape the city her husband had went to the streets to beg. When he spotted a wealthy noble leaving in a caravan, he approached and asked for just a little coin.

At this point the woman was almost incapable of speech, her sentences coming out from behind slow and laboured breathing. The noble was clearly wealthy, and the woman’s husband wouldn’t leave until the noble gave out some money.

The noble had his guards slit her husband’s throat.

The judge who was listening dismissed her case immediately when he discovered that the noble was a Christian, and the woman bawled the loudest I’d ever heard anyone bawl. She would probably have been thrown out with nothing if Lord de Linus didn’t interfere.

A good man, that Tigel de Linus.

I couldn’t stand anymore and left. As I walked out, I noticed that the queue of petitioners was a few times longer than it was when I had walked in.

That case occurred only at the beginning of the Jihad. As I write this report, I know with a sickening feeling in my heart that more cases, more injustices, and more wrongs will come. And we can do nothing about it.

Report from the Barracks, authored by Robert de Quar, 1238 AD

A few boys were dragged into the barracks today, and they couldn’t have been older than fifteen.

They were roughly shoved into the armoury, and came out half an hour later wearing patchwork armour and trying their best to hold training swords. They were directed unceremoniously into the training area, where they were immediately picked on by the drill serjeant.

As I strode out of the barracks for lunch, I couldn’t help but notice a small crowd of adults in the street, pleading and begging whichever guard happened to be on duty to see their children. It was disgusting to see the guards grab some of the stronger looking ones and force them into the barracks as well. The guard captain was a cold, unflinching man, and he told the rest of those gathered that their children were doing their part for God’s Kingdom, and if they wanted to see their children they could pick up a sword and join them.

A heartbreaking choice, and I didn’t envy those that had to make that decision. I had served some time in the Swiss Guard before coming to Jerusalem, but to force citizens and civilians to take up arms against their will – conscription – was something I never thought I’d see for myself. Over time I had gotten used to it – it was law in Jerusalem that all able bodied men had to answer any call to arms the King issued, but to take children who could barely lift a sword was a grave misdeed that God would not forgive.

If God was still watching.

Report from the Marketplace, authored by Robert de Quar, 1238 AD

The place was abandoned.

What few traders that remained in the city weren’t open to selling their goods, not in this time of war. No, they were repulsive opportunists, wolves, waiting for the right time to put their goods on the street at hugely inflated prices that most people could not afford.

Beggars were aplenty in the marketplace, almost as numerous as the thieves and street urchins that prowled around, stealing anything they could get their hands on. Most of these children were abandoned, their family being unable to feed them, or they had lost their parents in the war, and thus had to fend for themselves. The paltry amount of guards stationed in the marketplace did nothing – and who could blame them for not wanting to arrest seven or eight year olds that looked so scrawny they could have come straight out of a crypt?

This city is falling apart. I don’t see the jewel of God’s Kingdom. All I see is a mess that those who were lucky enough to flee from had avoided.

I stopped reading, an overpowering urge to throw up having manifested in my stomach.

We can’t take much more of this. If someone doesn’t remedy the situation soon, this city will implode all on its own, before the Saracens even lay siege to it.

But who could I turn to? No one in a position of power would tolerate these…slanderous words. And I’m not changing them.

Then it hit me.

I was there when he spoke out against Tigel de Linus and Raimondo. I was there when he got married to the English Princess, at an affair so sweet and innocent it could make a babe cry. He was the one who had elevated Lord de Linus to a position suitable for his talents. He was the one who gave out food and medicine to those who needed it the most.

And best of all, he was going to be the next King.

From the Perspective of High Lord Jean, King of Jerusalem, The City of Jerusalem, 1239 AD.

It took us an entire year to get the proper reports. Tortosa was badly battered, and Lord Jean d’Ibelin had fallen in its defense.

The troops that had marched back into Jerusalem warned of the incoming Saracen hordes, but they also told us of the vicious battle that had been fought. How Captain Aubrey did his best at the walls, how Lord Jean d’Ibelin rallied the troops at the gatehouse, and how the troops had routed when he had been slain.

The survivors had gathered at the castle square, ready for a last stand, when the Knights of Jerusalem and the Mounted Sergeants which had been decimating the Seljuk archers outside the castle rode in and set upon the Saracens from their rear.

In the end it was a close thing, the enemy general taking down a few knights before himself falling.

The garrison had won the day, but the damage was done. Their ranks were depleted, and no reinforcements could be sent their way.

Leaderless and without the prospect of relief, the survivors made the decision to abandon Tortosa, and took whatever vessels were left at the castle port and sailed for Jerusalem.

I didn’t blame the survivors for retreating, for they had given their all, and had none left to give. They escaped from Tortosa – but for how long? Soon Jerusalem would come under siege, and once again these men would have to risk their lives.

“My King!” The shout carried itself faster than the man sprinting towards my chambers.

I stood up, displeased at the interruption, for today had been a day of interruptions. First the unrest in the town square, then the complaints by the merchants…now what? Even my spymaster has been killed...Philip better figure Nicosia out fast.

I felt a trace of sorrow as I remembered the day Gaston had brought Foucaud's body back. Foucaud was a good man, and had served me loyally, and with talent. I had planned to reward him greatly for his services when he decided to retire...a shame that would never happened. Nevertheless, I provided what restitution the Kingdom could afford to his family, living in Acre. The most profound loss that the Kingdom would have no knowledge of. I solemnly appointed Gaston as his successor, since he was clearly Foucaud's number two.

My guards marched the messenger in…or at least what I had assumed was a messenger. This man wore the surcoat of the local jailers. “What news?” I asked.

“My King, Cardinal Reynaud, who was set to be sent to Jerusalem this very evening, has escaped.”

“WHAT?” I roared. “What do you mean escaped?”

The man trembled and went to his knees. “The Templars guarding his cell found it unlocked, and by the time they gathered enough men for a search, he had vanished.”

A thousand and one questions swirled around my head, yet I could not find a single answer to any of them.

Author's Notes:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Well, this is what happens when you no longer have pre-written chapters. You steal source for ideas from the readers! Big thanks to Kilo11, though I'm not sure if this was exactly what he meant. I have yet to show the Saracens showing kindness

Last edited by Swaeft; January 10, 2019 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Whoops tiny chapter name

This was a very good chapter Swaeft! It's honest and unflinching and reads much more like a real accounting of events, and not like a prince's pretty image of life (sorry, I am not as much of a fan of Jean's parts; I have a principled knee-jerk reaction against princes ). And I think you've done a very good job here of showing Rob(in)ert's dedication to his trade, and his willingness to see the truth in the mess around him. Regarding my suggestions from earlier, you only need to show the Saracens being kind if they in fact are kind. It's equally possible that they all murder their way to Jerusalem (after all, they have blood to repay as well), and I wouldn't fix that this character is good, that one bad. Just let the story and the people lead you, and see what they do, what it makes sense for them to do.

At any rate, I look forward to more updates featuring Robert. Personally, I think he is probably a character best reserved for particular roles, namely the usual dry reports, and situations like this where it may be useful to hear a properly unbiased accounting of affairs. For that reason, I'd suggest not overusing him, or having him be a regular fixture of the larger story, but definitely mix his things in when you need a bout of honesty.

Last of all, I can't rep you yet, but you'll get one once I've got the ability to hit you up again. This update deserves one!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Content Emeritus

It is indeed a very good chapter like Kilo11 said. I agree with him on everything he has said except I like the parts with Jean. I like this naive character that is trying to be the perfect knight and through age and his experiences comes to learn the world isn't that black and white yet always tries to do what is right, at least that's what I see in him. I also look forward to more chapters with Robert.

And nooo you have killed my beautiful boy. F's in chat for my boy Foucaud. On a more serious note, I think it's good to see you're not afraid to kill off characters especially characters that are well loved (don't know about the rest but my love for Foucaud should be more than enough).

The Cardinal, escaped? I sense foul play!

Chester prepare my horse, I must go forth and unravel this myth! (Ok this is not mine but rather a piece from a comedy show by Danny Bhoy, still I think its very funny but credit where credit's due)

Like Kilo11 says you do deserve rep for this chapter and so I shall give it to you. Really well done.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

A great help with writing is always appreciated Kilo11.

Now on to the really important stuff - the author's contribution with the latest chapter. Turkafinwë
    nija-ed me on my thoughts, so ditto on his post. I had to go back and review a bit though. I missed the intrigue with the Cardinal. Not that it matters. I have complete faith in the author to explain the mystery in coming installments.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    This was a very good chapter Swaeft! It's honest and unflinching and reads much more like a real accounting of events, and not like a prince's pretty image of life (sorry, I am not as much of a fan of Jean's parts; I have a principled knee-jerk reaction against princes ). And I think you've done a very good job here of showing Rob(in)ert's dedication to his trade, and his willingness to see the truth in the mess around him. Regarding my suggestions from earlier, you only need to show the Saracens being kind if they in fact are kind. It's equally possible that they all murder their way to Jerusalem (after all, they have blood to repay as well), and I wouldn't fix that this character is good, that one bad. Just let the story and the people lead you, and see what they do, what it makes sense for them to do.

At any rate, I look forward to more updates featuring Robert. Personally, I think he is probably a character best reserved for particular roles, namely the usual dry reports, and situations like this where it may be useful to hear a properly unbiased accounting of affairs. For that reason, I'd suggest not overusing him, or having him be a regular fixture of the larger story, but definitely mix his things in when you need a bout of honesty.

Last of all, I can't rep you yet, but you'll get one once I've got the ability to hit you up again. This update deserves one!
    Who's Rob Inert? Sounds like he can't move! Robert has his reasons for becoming a scribe, *waves magic wand* all will become clear in due time...

Thank you for the kind remarks, (I'm just going to casually ignore the jab at the prince...which takes up like 80% of the AAR) I'm really glad you like it. With regards to the Saracens - no worries there, they weren't famous for being cruel for nothing, but I will aim to show both sides through Rob the Inert when I can. And yes, I agree that Rob the Inert should not be a regular fixture. Thanks again for your input that made this chapter a thing.

It is indeed a very good chapter like Kilo11 said. I agree with him on everything he has said except I like the parts with Jean. I like this naive character that is trying to be the perfect knight and through age and his experiences comes to learn the world isn't that black and white yet always tries to do what is right, at least that's what I see in him. I also look forward to more chapters with Robert.

And nooo you have killed my beautiful boy. F's in chat for my boy Foucaud. On a more serious note, I think it's good to see you're not afraid to kill off characters especially characters that are well loved (don't know about the rest but my love for Foucaud should be more than enough).

The Cardinal, escaped? I sense foul play!

Chester prepare my horse, I must go forth and unravel this myth! (Ok this is not mine but rather a piece from a comedy show by Danny Bhoy, still I think its very funny but credit where credit's due)

Like Kilo11 says you do deserve rep for this chapter and so I shall give it to you. Really well done.
    I do hope I've been portraying Jean properly, of late it has become a tad harder because of the plot and the campaign. You might have to wait a bit for more Robert chapters though.

F

Ahh, I see you've noticed the Cardinal's departure. A curious thing, that one.
    Chester? Who's Chester? *Looks around* are you sending spies to follow me now, Turkafinwe? Have you not learned from the Foucaud lesson?

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    A great help with writing is always appreciated Kilo11.

Now on to the really important stuff - the author's contribution with the latest chapter. Turkafinwë
    nija-ed me on my thoughts, so ditto on his post. I had to go back and review a bit though. I missed the intrigue with the Cardinal. Not that it matters. I have complete faith in the author to explain the mystery in coming installments.
    Indeed it was a great help!

Never fear, Chancellor Palpatine NorseThing, dealing with intrigues is our specialty. *removes content staff cloak, draws quillsaber, whispers to 'complete faith'* This time, we'll take the next chapter together.
    Last edited by Swaeft; January 12, 2019 at 09:27 PM. Reason: This little boy ​ appears whenever I change the font size. Must be one of Turkafinwe's spies...

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Robert's reports set the scene well, with their details about the way that justice is dispensed in the Hall of Judgement and the kind of traders which remain in these troubled times. It sounds like the survivors at Tortosa made a sensible decision.

I imagine that Gaston and High Lord Jean are in a difficult and dangerous situation, after that profound loss and after the incident involving the Templar guards.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Robert's reports set the scene well, with their details about the way that justice is dispensed in the Hall of Judgement and the kind of traders which remain in these troubled times. It sounds like the survivors at Tortosa made a sensible decision.
    Speaking problem a campaign point of view it was impossible to hold onto, too isolated and takes 3 turns to get reinforcements there.

I imagine that Gaston and High Lord Jean are in a difficult and dangerous situation, after that profound loss and after the incident involving the Templar guards.
    Oh, you have no idea...

Content Emeritus

Chester? Who's Chester? *Looks around* are you sending spies to follow me now, Turkafinwe? Have you not learned from the Foucaud lesson?
    Of course not. I wouldn't dare do such a thing.
    Remember, we will be watching

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Of course not. I wouldn't dare do such a thing.
    Remember, we will be watching
    Oh Turkafinwe, the laughs that I get when I read your posts. What would I do without you?