Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: [SS 6.4] God's Justice (Crusader States AAR, with BGR IV and more!) Complete + Behind the Scenes

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: [SS 6.4] God's Justice (Crusader States AAR, with BGR IV and more!)

The one thing they didn't prepare this young man for, the ensnaring power of a beautiful woman. Intrigued to see if this has any consequences in the long run. Still a lovely 16th birthday present, if one could call it that. An Ayyubid army ready to strike at the soft underbelly of Jerusalem is a real worry though. Again you employ a nice balance between seriousness and humor in the story which makes it a very enjoyable read.

A really good update Swaeft! +rep as soon as I'm able.

I wonder who the wise man is who Jean-Pierre spoke to concerning honour?

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    I enjoyed this part. I don't know what action you've precisely set up, but this has already quite a lot of it.

Nitpicking:
    Well the Plantagenet were technically of French descent also. So much so, that they'd speak French at their courts even in England. Jean is French for John, and Joan is English for Jeanne.
    I had some joke about chastity belts, but that wouldn't be appropriate here.
    Well, you'll be able to find out soon! Jean can't stay in Jerusalem forever, as wondrous as it is. Regarding the Jeansies and Joansies, it was a happy coincidence for me to meet this princess in the game, as their names are really pretty close to each other, made me laugh for a bit there. Don't worry, all will be explained in future updates, but you are right to point out that Joan is not entirely 'pure English'. Good eyes, better brain! Thanks for reading and nitpicking! Umm...chastity belts...I shall pretend to know nothing about that...whistles...

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    The one thing they didn't prepare this young man for, the ensnaring power of a beautiful woman. Intrigued to see if this has any consequences in the long run. Still a lovely 16th birthday present, if one could call it that. An Ayyubid army ready to strike at the soft underbelly of Jerusalem is a real worry though. Again you employ a nice balance between seriousness and humor in the story which makes it a very enjoyable read.

A really good update Swaeft! +rep as soon as I'm able.

I wonder who the wise man is who Jean-Pierre spoke to concerning honour?
    I was actually thinking about what aspect of the court I missed out on, then when I was typing it out it hit me - courtship! No one prepared Jean for that so he's going to have a hard time for the foreseeable future. Yeah, I was pretty annoyed when they showed up in game, I had just shifted my forces away one turn earlier -.- Thanks for reading!

Oh, I don't know, a really wise man it must have been. One with a ridiculous name that I can't seem to find a way to integrate into the AAR...LOL!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

From the Perspective of Lord Jean, First Prince of Jerusalem, The City of Jerusalem, 1235 AD.

“My Prince, you know as well as I do that this is madness. You can still stop this.” Tigel de Linus urged, his mount trotting right beside mine. A hint of despair entered his voice as he realised that I would not be swayed. “Gods,” he cursed, “how did it come to this?”

I said nothing, secretly trembling inside the armour. Heavy armour was definitely heavy. I was sweating profusely, yet couldn’t wipe any perspiration away. I briefly wondered what if felt like to fight with little to no armour, like those Ayyubid horsemen the Constable had always warned me about. We don’t even have enough horses to provide for the Constable and his retinue. Every last horse, save three for emergency messengers, were mustered and mounted by members of my bodyguard.

Tigel de Linus had insisted on coming with me, and I couldn’t stop him. The city was now in the hands of Paragon, the treasurer. If nothing else, he made a decent governor. The plan was to ride out and meet the Ayyubids, use me as very rewarding bait, lure the Ayyubid captain into a fight, kill him, and hopefully scare the rest of them off. If that didn’t work…well, let’s not think about that.

“Raise the gate!” Sir Raimondo shouted. The city watchmen complied and the cranking of gears soon reverberated around the immediate area. “Lances proud and high, compagnos.” I cringed inwardly as each crank made a jarring noise that was partially amplified by the helm I was wearing. Then, with a mighty clang, the gate reached its maximum height, and we rode out towards the approaching dust column far off in the distance.

I let my courser carry me forward as I brooded silently. Raimondo was expecting this to end in bloodshed, but from our spy’s report the enemy only had one detachment of cavalry. If we were to be pursued, we would turn tail and run, drawing the cavalry away from the main body of the army, isolating them, then finally turning around and taking them on. “When we make contact with the enemy cavalry, I’ll be on your right, and Alvaro will be on your left.” Raimondo told me. “We will not budge for anything, but in the event that we are dislodged by the enemy, I hope you remember your training.”

Tigel de Linus patted me firmly on my back, his mailed gloves rattling off my plate. “You’ll be fine. I know you didn’t grow up just to die in your first skirmish.”

I frowned. Did I? Training was no substitute for experience, as Lord de Linus had so often liked to say. Dark clouds loomed overhead, as if to foreshadow something ominous. I never paid any mind to superstition, but nevertheless, I found that detail a little unsettling.

Barely ten minutes later, I could start making out the blurred silhouettes of marching men against the sky. The dust their feet were kicking up concealed most of their bodies, but from one glance I could tell that something was off. “That looks like a lot more than seven hundred men.” I remarked. Tigel de Linus motioned for our party to halt, scanned the horizon and swore. “The Prince is right. That’s over a thousand men right there. Maybe even two thousand.”

I looked back towards Jerusalem, wondering if on one of the walls or parapets, a certain English princess was gazing at me, a speck in the distance. Suddenly I found myself wondering if I would live long enough to regret the decision I made in my chambers not two nights ago. “Sorry, Joan, we – I think it’s just too fast.” I had blurted out when she made her advances. Surprisingly, she didn’t seem disappointed. I got a peck on the cheek and that was it – she walked out of my room without another word. When I told Henri about it, he wouldn’t stop chiding me about how I had just made the biggest mistake of my life. I actually had to eat my meals apart from him for the previous two days just to stop hearing his incessant gripes about how I turned down such an attractive woman.

“I don’t like this.” Sir Raimondo declared, his stern voice jolting me back to reality. “I say we turn back to Jerusalem and wait out the impending siege. Maybe even evacuate to Acre or Kerak.”

For once, Tigel de Linus agreed with him on something. “It’s too risky to go on ahead. They probably have more than one detachment of mounted units, and we can’t fight off that many. Turn around, let’s head back. We’ll try another tact.”

My heart sank, but just as I was about to nudge my horse to make an about face, I pricked up my ears and listened intently. “Gentlemen,” I raised a finger, “are you hearing what I’m hearing?” Tigel de Linus looked at me quizzically, then removed his helm and listened attentively…then bewilderment spread across his face. “Is that the sound of…fighting?”

The rest of my men removed their helms and after a while, concurred. We stared intently at the men in the distance, when after a few heartbeats Raimondo let out a great roar, and the most welcoming phrase I’ve heard in days gushed forth from his mouth. “There! That’s our banner! OUR BANNER!” His charger pranced about vigorously, clearly sharing his energy and excitement.

Astounded, I squinted, and though I could not believe my eyes, multiple banners with the Holy Cross of the Crusader States emblazoned on them were barely visibly fluttering in the dust and wind. “My father?” I pondered aloud.

“Impossible.” Tigel de Linus stated. “He was still making preparations to depart Damascus one week ago.” The clash of steel on steel and the screams of men gradually became more audible. “Then who?” Raimondo wondered.

A flash of adrenaline coursed through my body. “Does it matter? There are men up there fighting for us! Those are OUR men! Let’s help them!” I spurred my courser onwards, and brandished my sword. A part of me felt troubled, that I was charging headfirst into the unknown, but I let the exhilaration of the moment wash those emotions away. “God’s steel!” I yelled, emulating my father. I heard my bodyguards curse and swear, but paid them no heed, and they quickly faded out of earshot. I was getting to the bottom of this, with or without them.

The First Battle of Jerusalem, 1235 AD

Upon drawing closer to the battle, the first thing that I noticed was the smell. It smelled horrible. Like stuff was rotting, diseased, and just plain filthy. I reined in my horse, slowing him down, as I tried not to gag. Taking a few moments to regain my bearings, my training kicked in and I subconsciously started to analyse the battle. I quickly ascertained that the Ayyubids were losing. Their flanks were on the verge of collapse, and the crusader general was leading a charge straight through their centre, supported by his mounted sergeants.

I saw men garbed in yellow and orange scatter like leaves being blown apart, and let out a small whoop in celebration, barely registering my bodyguards reining in their horses around me, their swords drawn and forming a defensive formation. This crusader general was a formidable one, and once I glimpsed the insignia on his standard I understood why. The Ibelin family crest, with the sigil of the Templars next to it. This had to be Phillip d’Ibelin, Grandmaster of the Knights Templar. I let a wave of relief wash over me. It was good to know that a capable general was in charge of the battle, which really helped to set my mind at ease.

Over the next few minutes, I watched as the well-trained and disciplined Templar spearmen shattered the Ayyubid flanks and pushed them back to the centre, encircling them.

Then the thought struck me out of the blue: Should I partake? Should I be in the fight? I knew I would eventually be expected to lead armies, but the thought of sticking my blade into someone's stomach still left a bitter taste in my mouth. I never liked killing. I never wanted to be king. Why should I hack someone else to bits when I didn't want to? The answer presented itself clearly to me - crusaders were dying mere feet in front of me, their death throes and bloodcurdling screams of agony sending chills up my spine. I was supposed to protect them, wasn't I? I was their Prince. I am their Prince. I sat there in midst of the chaos, indecisive, as men scrambled to kill one another in the tumult of the battle. I hesitated, and I knew that as I was hesitating, good men were dying.

Suddenly, I realised that it wasn’t really a battle anymore. I could see the mass of Ayyubid infantry panicking and trying to break out. They were stumbling over their peers in their haste to escape, leaving those that had only minutes ago fought shoulder to shoulder with them to die. Even then, not many made it out. Those that did were met with the thrust of a Templar’s spear, the sharp knife of a pilgrim, or the blunt club of a fanatic. Phillip commanded one unit of the Canons of the Holy Sepulchre, canons in name only, but with the massive two handed swords they wielded they might as well have been real canons, such was the brutality with which they cleft a man in twine. Only a handful managed to escape, and these were ridden down by the mounted sergeants. Some were even gesturing frantically for the crusaders to stop, kneeling and pleading for mercy and their lives, but amid cries of ‘God’s Justice!’ they were put down. The Templars seemed almost…happy to slaughter the Saracens by the tens. It was very discomforting and unnerving to witness this first-hand, and I think it showed, because Tigel de Linus rode over to me, and told me softly that I could avert my gaze if I wanted to.

At last I could bear it no longer. I led my retinue and intercepted the detachment of mounted sergeants who had rounded up the last eight fleeing Ayybuids. “Let them go.” I ordered. The sergeant captain looked outraged. “On who’s authority?” He challenged, then immediately regretted his words as Alvaro rode forth with the banner of Jerusalem.

“On my authority as the First Prince of Jerusalem, release these men.” The captain hurried to obey, though I sensed unease and resentment from his men. I dismounted and strode over to the nearest captive. “English?”

The Saracen nodded hesitantly, as if suspecting a trick. “Find your way back to Cairo. Tell the Sultan that no more men should be sent towards Jerusalem, and to set aside a large plot of land for a graveyard should he decide to do so.”

The Saracen’s eyes widened, then he mumbled his thanks as the sergeants cut him loose from his bonds. They did the same to the other seven, then sent them on their way.

“What is the meaning of this?” A booming voice hollered. “Who sets my prisoners free and dares to bring the banner of Jerusalem out of the city?”

I turned around and saw that it was indeed Phillip d’Ibelin who had been leading the army. I clambered back onto my horse and straightened my back before addressing him. “Lord Phillip. It is an honour to see you here. I had not thought to find you so close to Jerusalem. Perhaps you do not remember me, but I do remember you, when we last met in the war council chambers before my father departed on the crusade.”

Phillip d’Ibelin was nonplussed, clearly not expecting to be addressed by the youngest in my group, but after a while I saw a spark of recognition in his eyes. He dismounted and knelt, and once he did, the rest of his soldiers in the vicinity did as well. “My Prince, I did not know you had taken the field. I wish you good health and fortune.”

“And I wish that God may deign to bestow his Justice upon you.” I replied. “Rise.”

Phillip rose and gracefully mounted his horse. “That is kind of you, my prince. You needn’t worry yourself with the handling of my prisoners. I am well aware of your father’s code of chivalry. All will be treated well, and released once they are deemed to be no longer a threat.”

I exchanged a wary look with Tigel de Linus, and we both silently concurred that we would not speak of my father's own interpretation of his code.

“Was this your first battle, my Prince?” He inquired, setting off on a slow trot. I eased my courser forward to match his mount’s speed, letting him draw slightly ahead, aware of just how prestigious and influential the company I was in. “Well, I didn't really fight, so I can't really say it was, my lord. Have you fought many battles like this?”

He chuckled loudly, but not unkindly. “Plenty. I’ve lost count. But you didn’t just ride out all the way here to ask me about my military history. What’s the matter?”

“Well, my lord, I was wondering, how did you know we were in trouble, and where did you get this army? I thought all our forces were away with my father.”

“Please, stop calling me my lord. You are my prince, and I should be the one addressing you with your title.” He paused to take a breath. “Before the King left on crusade, he ordered me to patrol the area around Jerusalem and repel Ayyubid raids. I didn’t have the manpower, though, and I only recently managed to raise enough men using the funds Lord Bohemond acquired from the sacking of the Saracen coastal settlements.”

I almost fell out of my saddle in stupefaction. “What?” Tigel de Linus had a look of shock etched on his face. “If it please my lord, would you kindly furnish us with the details?”

“Certainly,” Lord Phillip replied, “though not here. Let’s head back to Jerusalem. We can speak in private there.”
    Joan Plantagenet greeted me with a grin and a curtsy when I reached the throne room, and it warmed my heart to see her again. Then it occurred to me then that we had not spoken since that night. As much as I yearned to embrace her, I knew it was unsightly to do so in front of the entire court. Tigel de Linus led Lord Phillip straight to the council chambers, where he sat down and promptly began to inform us of Lord Bohemond’s conquests.

The First Siege of Alexandria, 1233 AD
    “As you well know, my Prince, our navy has been a laughing stock for years. I suppose that’s why the Ayyubid Sultanate left their coastal settlements undermanned – they didn’t expect an attack by the sea. Lord Bohemond took a single ship and sailed to Damietta undetected. I don’t know if you remember, my Prince, but at the final war council before your father set out on crusade, he ordered Lord Bohemond to only attack if the settlements were poorly defended. In this case, the castle of Damietta was moderately well garrisoned, so Lord Bohemond wisely moved on to Alexandria.” As Lord Phillip settled into a comfortable rhythm in between breaths, I couldn’t help but think that I was being schooled in warfare yet again.

“Lord Bohemond brought with him a pair of catapults, doing away with the need to construct siege equipment. This is important, as a protracted siege always brings about the prospect of enemy reinforcments.” Yup, definitely a lesson on tactics. “As he approached Alexandria, he sent envoys to treat with the Ayyubid garrison commander, one of their family members by the name of Ahmad Al-Ayyubi. But in reality, the envoys were actually supposed to get him an accurate count of the number of soldiers garrisoned in Alexandria. When they returned to Bohemond’s camp, they told him that the city was held by 3 companies of spearmen, and the Ayybuid general’s bodyguard. A definite win in an open field, but with guard towers and strong walls to hide behind, this was a chancy assault at best.”

Lord Phillip paused to rub the bridge of his nose, and Tigel de Linus decided to take this opportunity to make queries of his own. “If I remember correctly, Lord Bohemond didn’t depart with many men. 3 companies of spearmen and a general’s bodyguard on the defensive or holding a choke point could do serious harm to his forces. Why did he assault? He would have lost many more men than we could have afforded.”

Lord Phillip nodded. “I met Lord Bohemond while he was on the way back to Tortosa. He stopped at Acre to resupply, and told me of his battles. I wasn’t aware that he didn’t send Jerusalem a missive, otherwise I would have delivered the battle reports earlier. He told me he had no choice. His expedition was more of a supply and finance raid than a battle of attrition. He had already sailed past Damietta, and if he were to retreat from Alexandria, he would be heading back to Jerusalem empty handed with nothing to show for his efforts. We desperately needed any florins he could get from his raid, so I understand why he went ahead.”

Tigel de Linus looked unconvinced, but said nothing else, so Lord Phillip continued narrating. “If I remember correctly, there was a heavy downpour when Lord Bohemond made his assault. He commanded just under four hundred men, separated into two companies of Templar spearmen, one of the Templar crossbowmen, one of the Foot Knights of Jerusalem, one detachment of Mounted Sergeants, one company of Spearmen, and a pair of catapults. The Ayyubid general commanded two units of spear militia, and one unit of Saracen militia.”

“Lord Bohemond sent his ram against the gates, which fell in good time. The overzealous knights of Jerusalem charged in and immediately engaged the three companies of Ayyubid spearmen before the rest of the crusader army could get into position. Lord Bohemond was extremely disgusted with their behaviour and did not reinforce them, unwilling to let more of his men die out of position. When he finally shifted his army into their assigned battle positions, the knights had cut down more than half of the Ayyubid spearmen, but were almost wiped out. They probably realised their mistake by then, but refused to retreat, and held on while the Templar crossbowmen pummelled the remaining ayyubid spearmen with their bolts. In the end, there was to be no victor, for the Foot knights of Jerusalem were killed to a man, and the remaining Ayyubid spearmen were lying on the floor, full of crossbow bolts and holes.”

I let out a long sigh. Another group of much needed knights killed for their zeal. I used to think knights were the epitome of…everything good. “When the Ayyubid general saw his men fall in droves, he realised the battle was lost, but refused to surrender. Not unlike our foot knights. He charged our company of spearmen and actually killed them all. They tried to form their defensive schiltrom formation, but the Ayyubid general and his retinue butchered them all.”

This I could not understand. “How?” I blurted out. “Aren’t spearmen made to counter cavalry? How on earth did they lose?” Lord Phillip shot me a peculiar look. “The weapon isn’t everything, my Prince. Training, practice, armour, morale, zeal, and many other factors contribute to whether one wins or loses. Remember that. Regardless, Lord Bohemond ordered the rest of the Templars forward, and eventually they stabbed the Ayyubid general to death. That’s another of the Sultan’s royal family down. With luck, we’ll get them all soon.”

“Lord Bohemond lost a good portion of his men, some might say his better portion, but his Templars remained intact, so he stayed encamped in Alexandria for a year. I was pretty amazed when he told me he handed the city over to the Teutonic Order. Apparently he has a cousin in a leadership position in the Teutonic order, and they’ve been getting hammered by the Lithuanians. Bohemond told his cousin they could have Alexandria if they could hold on to it, and they sealed the deal with an alliance and a small sum of florins.

I exchanged a glance with Tigel de Linus. This was an unexpected development. “Only time will tell if he made the right decision,” Lord Phillip said, noticing the looks on our faces, “but I believe he did. We don’t have the manpower to hold on to a city so far away from our borders, and the Teutons will develop the city for us and defend it if they can. If they can’t, they will raze it before letting the Ayyubids recapture it. They are our brothers after all.” It was there and then I was reminded that I was talking to a grandmaster of a knighthood order.

The First Siege of Damietta, 1234 AD
    “After settling everything, he set sail for Damietta, praying that it would somehow be garrisoned by fewer men than a year ago. Either the local Emir mustered his troops, or they were sent somewhere else, for when he got there, Damietta was held by one company of Desert Archers in training. Lord Bohemond needed no further encouragement, and attacked immediately. Some of his men say he started the siege the moment his men were disembarked, so scared was he of losing this golden opportunity.

“This was a simple affair, really. Lord Bohemond rode in himself and slaughtered the archers. No quarter was given. He lost 4 of his bodyguards, but the entire archer company was decimated. Damietta was ours, and for way too cheaply, but I’m not complaining.”

“So there you have it. I used the florins Bohemond left me at Acre to raise this army, and continued to patrol this area. And it was a good thing too, I might add. You don’t have much of a garrison here, do you?”

Although I knew that comment was not meant to be an insult, Tigel de Linus nevertheless stiffened uncomfortably.

“We’ll be grateful if you stay here and provide security during the Prince’s coronation, at least until the King returns from Damascus.” Tigel de Linus managed to say.

Lord Phillip either did not notice his discomfort, or did not acknowledge it. “Of course. It would be my honour.”

Just then, there was a knock on the door. “Enter.” Tigel de Linus intoned. A servant entered and bowed, then meekly pointed at me. “My Prince, forgive me, but there is an English princess outside who is begging to speak with you.”

Lord Phillip raised an eyebrow. “English princess? The English are here already?”

I stood up and straightened my robe. “Lord de Linus will fill you in on the situation. Please excuse me, my lords.”

Tigel de Linus looked at me curiously. “Might I inquire as to your intentions, my Prince?”

I grinned devilishly at him. “I have…unfinished business to conduct, my lord.” Then, with a bow and a smile, I threw open the doors and walked straight out.

Unrelated bonus clip:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Swaeft; August 22, 2018 at 05:56 AM. Reason: 4k contentboxes...just 4k! Enjoy the bonus clip!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Good update Swaeft, though I still agree with a comment Cookiegod made earlier that it would look nicer if the images were centered. You responded that
    Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft
    I didn't want to centralise the pictures because my words aren't centralised, but that's just personal preference and I guess I might try that in an odd update not related to the story (one coming up soon).
    However, that's incorrect. You can center just the image (leaving the text left-aligned) if you code things as follows:

Centering Images

Text text text...

[CENTER][img]Your image url[/img]
    [/CENTER]

More text...

This would then look something like the following:
    Example

I wanted to help Swaeft center his pictures, so I made an example to show how it's done. However, a picture is also needed to prove this point. Here is said picture.

Now isn't that nice, with the picture all offset and pretty like that? Also, if one wants to ever see how someone else has gotten their sharp formatting done there is a simple method to use.

1. Hit "reply with quote"
    2. Hit the top left button in the comment interface, which says "Switch editor to source mode"
    Now you will see the code that was used for various nice little touches and can easily port that into your own works!

I hope that is helpful, or at the very least informative. At any rate, do use that final trick I mentioned, as it is a good way to learn lots of really elegant solutions from TWC members who are a whole lot better at these things than you or I are ever likely to be. My main method of improving any skill I use on here or in modding is to simply look at the code of someone who does things as I'd like to do them, and then emulate that to the best of my ability.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Content Emeritus

That was a stroke of luck to find Lord d'Ibelin coming to the rescue of Jerusalem. Without him, all would surely have been lost for Jean. Speaking of Jean, refusing a princess of such charm was really a good move although he did it for personal reasons not so for the good of his kingdom. Henri's reaction to this is a nice representation on how such things are also viewed in our society today. Refusing an attractive women is still seen as something stupid and is ridiculed. Yet Jean might do something foolish any time soon especially with that ominous last line of "unfinished business".

Again you keep my desire to keep reading firmly in your hands! Good work!

PS: The wise man's name would indeed fall a bit out of tone in this narrative. Maybe a stranger from a strange land, who knows.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

It's good to see this is still going! I've been terrible at keeping up with AARs recently, but I am slowly catching up. I admit I haven't finished this one yet, but so far I'm enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11
    Good update Swaeft, though I still agree with a comment Cookiegod made earlier that it would look nicer if the images were centered. You responded that
    Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft
    I didn't want to centralise the pictures because my words aren't centralised, but that's just personal preference and I guess I might try that in an odd update not related to the story (one coming up soon).
    However, that's incorrect. You can center just the image (leaving the text left-aligned) if you code things as follows:
    I may be wrong about this, but I didn't read Swaeft's comment as saying it was impossible, Kilo11 - I think he was just saying he doesn't want to centre the images. He likes to have them on the left, because his text is left-aligned.

That seems entirely the right approach to me: authors should be free to format their AARs to please themselves. (I know that's what I do! )

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post

Centering Images

Text text text...

[CENTER][img]Your image url[/img]
    [/CENTER]

More text...

This would then look something like the following:
    Example

I wanted to help Swaeft center his pictures, so I made an example to show how it's done. However, a picture is also needed to prove this point. Here is said picture.

Now isn't that nice, with the picture all offset and pretty like that? Also, if one wants to ever see how someone else has gotten their sharp formatting done there is a simple method to use.

1. Hit "reply with quote"
    2. Hit the top left button in the comment interface, which says "Switch editor to source mode"
    Now you will see the code that was used for various nice little touches and can easily port that into your own works!

I hope that is helpful, or at the very least informative. At any rate, do use that final trick I mentioned, as it is a good way to learn lots of really elegant solutions from TWC members who are a whole lot better at these things than you or I are ever likely to be. My main method of improving any skill I use on here or in modding is to simply look at the code of someone who does things as I'd like to do them, and then emulate that to the best of my ability.
    Thanks, those are really helpful tips that every AAR writer should know, although Cailagh is right that I simply wanted to keep my pictures left aligned because my texts are also left aligned. It's not that I don't know how to do that...you can do that in MS Word too I do agree that it has its appeal though.

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    It's good to see this is still going! I've been terrible at keeping up with AARs recently, but I am slowly catching up. I admit I haven't finished this one yet, but so far I'm enjoying it.

I may be wrong about this, but I didn't read Swaeft's comment as saying it was impossible, Kilo11 - I think he was just saying he doesn't want to centre the images. He likes to have them on the left, because his text is left-aligned.

That seems entirely the right approach to me: authors should be free to format their AARs to please themselves. (I know that's what I do! )
    Well it's not going to die anytime soon since it kind of just started, but yeah it's still going Don't worry, I've been terrible at keeping up with AARs myself, I only have a few free hours a week to crank out chapters so I read what I can on the train or on the bus, which is really inconvenient for me to do a detailed reply to the user's post, so sometimes I feel like I'm doing them a disservice even though I'm 'commenting'. Good of you to spot that I just wanted it left aligned, and it's nice to see another bodemloze read my work (The last was Robin, I believe. Wonder what has happened to him?)

That was a stroke of luck to find Lord d'Ibelin coming to the rescue of Jerusalem. Without him, all would surely have been lost for Jean. Speaking of Jean, refusing a princess of such charm was really a good move although he did it for personal reasons not so for the good of his kingdom. Henri's reaction to this is a nice representation on how such things are also viewed in our society today. Refusing an attractive women is still seen as something stupid and is ridiculed. Yet Jean might do something foolish any time soon especially with that ominous last line of "unfinished business".

Again you keep my desire to keep reading firmly in your hands! Good work!

PS: The wise man's name would indeed fall a bit out of tone in this narrative. Maybe a stranger from a strange land, who knows.
    Yeah, it was really annoying for me, I moved that army away to protect Damascus the turn before so I had to expend all its movement points just to go back and defend Jerusalem. Still, makes for great roleplaying. Good point about our views on women, I tried to portray that without over stating its significance so I'm glad someone caught that. That unfinished business isn't really meant to be ominous though, just time for some good clean fun Many thanks for your continuing patronage.

P.P.S. I have a plan for the wise man's name, but it will not come in to play so soon. Have no fear, thou shalt not be unrepresented!

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

From the Perspective of Lord Jean, First Prince of Jerusalem, The City of Jerusalem, 1236 AD.

The Sepulchre’s bells had been tolling for the past hour as my father’s army streamed into the city. I was getting a serious headache as the Sepulchre was only a few blocks away from the gatehouse. The war council was out in force and had correctly predicted that my father would be riding at the head of the column, eager to seize the opportunity to be the first to re-enter Jerusalem after a few years of crusading and bask in all the glory and triumph his victories had won him.

“Let’s go.” I gently nudged my horse forwards, and my retinue fell in behind me. Tigel de Linus had mustered a few companies of the city watch and together, we moved out to greet my father, the King. I was wearing ceremonial heavy armour, and was starting to get used to sweating it out under the brutal heat of the Sun.

Lord de Linus signalled for a halt a hundred or so metres away from the city walls, and we waited for my father’s column to approach. His army looked significantly smaller than the one he led out of these very walls a few years ago, but I suppose that was to be expected. There were a few companies I did not recognise, mercenaries perhaps, but as long as they served ably I had no complaints. Once my father reached speaking distance, he turned to his captains and issued some orders to halt his army, then turned and stared expectantly at me. For a short duration, I was at a loss for words, unsure of what to say to him after so long. It wasn’t that I didn’t want to say something, it was just that I didn’t know what to say.

Hundreds of men stood under the unrelenting Sun in silence, waiting for one of us to make a move.

Then, my brain kicked into action and I urged my courser forward. When I was close enough, I addressed him. “Father, it is a relief to see you unharmed. Welcome home.”

“What?” He uttered, moving in for a closer look. “Jean, is that you? Remove your helm.” I complied, and he burst into laughter the moment he saw my face. “Jean! Good heavens, I didn’t expect you to be out here in armour, certainly not in this heat. This is all very unnecessary.”

“Father?” I stammered, certainly not expecting him to say anything as such. Lord Phillip had assured me that a simple greeting ceremony was a standard way of honouring armies returning from conquest. “I can…order everyone back in if you’d like.”

My father shook his head, still chuckling softly to himself. “No, no, it’s fine, my son. I just didn’t expect this from you. I thought you’d still be playing with your sister or something. This,” he gestured to the men I’d brought out with me, “is all very much appreciated. It’s nice to see some friendly faces again after so long. LORD DE LINUS!” He bellowed, sending his horse into a canter towards Tigel de Linus. I watched, a benign smile slowly forming on my face as they both dismounted and gave each other a fierce hug.

“My King,” I heard Tigel de Linus say, “the men. Please, let them stand on ceremony no longer.” My father let out a huge guffaw, patted Tigel de Linus on the back and waved his captains forward. He then mounted his horse deftly and urged it into the city, gesturing for me to follow. I was only too happy to obey – I had a myriad of questions to ask him.

The city watchmen split into two and reformed on either side of the city gates, acting as a sort of guard of honour for the returning crusaders. I guided my courser to one side, coughing at the amount of dust the marching men kicked up.

“Ah.” Tigel de Linus, who had stationed himself on my right, remarked, as the baggage train passed through the gates. “That looks like a substantial prize. Our Kingdom has sore need of whatever’s in there.” Upon closer inspection, I realised that the baggage train’s tarp was bursting from its seams, and chests were stacked on top of other chests. It seemed that my father’s campaign wasn’t successful just militarily.

The throne room was abuzz with activity. Many of the nobles had wanted to organize a great feast for the crusaders to commemorate their victories, but my father would hear none of it. For one, the crusade was not over, and the Kingdom didn’t have enough money to throw around at feasts just like that. Instead, a simple gathering of the officers in the throne room would precede my coronation. I hadn’t participated in the crusade, so I stood to one side, watching the captains congratulate each other and brag about who had killed whatever prominent figure of the enemy and wondering if I would do the same someday.

My mother hadn’t left my father’s side since he returned, and I for one am glad to see them spend some time together after so long apart. Henri was chatting eagerly with Yolande, pausing occasionally to point at a certain person who walked past. I raised a hand to stifle a chuckle; no doubt he was trying to impress my sister with his knowledge of my father’s lords and vassals. Tigel de Linus was, as usual, entertaining members of the foreign delegation, though he looked much more relaxed now that my father was back in the city. Even my bodyguard captain, Sir Raimondo, was strutting around trying to catch the eye of a noble lady or two – a most unusual sight. “I guess even the most staunchly uptight men long for the company of women every now and then.” I mumbled to myself, amused.

“What was that?” Footsteps echoed off the ceramic floor behind me, and a presence sidled up to me gracefully. It could only have been one person.

“My lady.” I dipped my head. “How have you been these past two days? You’ve said not a word to me.”

Princess Joan placed her hand over her heart and the rolled her eyes at me, and it was not for the teasing smile on her lips I would have thought her mad at me. “My Prince, are you suggesting that this is my fault? As I last recall, you were the one who turned me down…twice.” Her voice sharpened notably when she uttered that last word, and for a moment I thought she was angry. As I looked at Henri and Yolande laughing gaily together, I thought back to the evening when I came back from the battle outside Jerusalem. After Lord Phillip had filled me in, I’d headed off to meet with Princess Joan, who had whispered sweet nothings in my ear, but in the end I was too shaken by what I saw on the battlefield to do it. The screams of the fleeing Saracens were still fresh in my mind.

I nodded, and apologized. “Perhaps my mind was not at its finest then, but I can clearly see that I’ve made a mistake, and would like to make amends.” I smiled weakly at her, but she was having none of it.
    “My dear Prince,” she pouted, “making amends will not be as easy as saying sorry. You’ll have do better than that.”

“What do I have to do?” I asked, uncertain. She simply curtsied way lower than what was necessary, and walked away.

“I’ll let you know later.” She called out as she walked out of earshot. I stood still, shaking my head and watching her fade into the crowd.

Just then, I noticed my father striding over. He barely broke his stride as he motioned for me to follow, then headed for the door. “Son, you’re about to be crowned as the First Prince of the Kingdom. Are you ready?”

I thought about putting on a brave face and bluffing my way through the question, but in the end a simple ‘no’ was my answer. I flinched involuntarily, awaiting the backlash that would certainly follow. Instead, my father simply kept walking. “I knew you’d say that." He snapped. "You’re not a warrior, and neither are you a politician.” I couldn’t tell if he was dissatisfied or just trying to make me feel guilty. For a few minutes we walked in silence, and I didn’t dare ask where we were going or why.

I smelled our destination before I saw it. The stables always was the most fetid place in the city, eclipsing even the blacksmithy with its pungent odour. That didn’t stop me from enjoying my horse riding lessons, though. The stablemaster, Chirgeon, was ready with four horses saddled. Two of my father’s bodyguards were waiting for him, unarmoured, and he quickened his pace when he saw them, so much that I struggled to keep up. Once we arrived, I was instructed to wait as my father changed into ragged clothing in one of the horses’ stalls.

A golden-haired bay courser turned its head inquisitively to check out the intruder in its stall, and sniffed at my father. “Don’t do that.” I patted the horse, and its big brown eyes turned to fixate themselves on me. “It’s rude.”

“Mount up. We’re going for a ride.” Without waiting to see if I had even gotten on my horse yet, my father set off at a steady trot to the city centre. One of his bodyguards accompanied him, and the other stayed until I was properly seated and ready to ride.
    I saw that we were approaching the Beggar’s Quarter. I remembered my promise to the boy, now training as one of Foucaud’s agents, and the thought gave me some courage to speak out. I spurred my horse onward until I was abreast of my father, then coughed awkwardly and began to speak.

“This is the Beggar’s Quarter, father. A place in the city, your city, where many people are star–”

“I know what it is, Jean. I brought you here so that you might see it for yourself.”

“I have seen it for myself, father. The day of the assassination attempt on you was the day I was here, shocked that such a place existed within such a holy city. How did you let this happen?” I stared accusingly at my father, expecting a fierce reprimand, or at the very least, an instant rebuke, but strangely, none was forthcoming.

“You’ve got heart, at least. And a fierce passion. Good. You’re going to need it. SILENCE!” He raised his voice as I was about to retort. “I will forgive you for that insult, because you have been confined within Jerusalem for far too long. If you ever get the chance to visit the great cities elsewhere, London, Constantinople, Paris, Venice, take a stroll around the city, and if you find it free of the poor, the destitute and the downtrodden, come and find me. I will then spend the remainder of my life in the church, praying for my sins. Do not lecture me on things that I already know so much more than you do.”

“Princess Joan tells me that in London, people eat whatever they want, and never go wanting.”

“Princess Joan is here to court your favour, as are the rest of the European Kingdoms, and will tell you that her people eat elephants for breakfast if it got her an alliance with you. Did she happen to ask for one?”

I shut up. I did not want to answer that, but I didn’t need to. My father could already tell from my silence. He patted his horse, stopping it, then laid a hand on my shoulder. “Jean, I know you have no love for me. I know you have no love for politics, for battle, or for the throne, even. Not everyone wants to be King, and I’d certainly know why. But this is the way the world works. I cannot pass the throne to someone else, and neither would I want to. Follow.”

For the next few minutes, I trotted beside my father in silence, contemplating the Princess’s real intentions, and if that was only the beginning of whatever nonsense I’d have to deal with as the First Prince and the future King. Was I being used? I barely registered the city gates opening and my father leading our small party out.

About ten minutes’ ride away from Jerusalem, we happened across a small settlement. The grass was growing steadily, spreading its lush greenery around the small village. The people were tilling their fields, minding their crops, and tending to their animals. My father bid us halt and observe them, and so we did.

“Jerusalem used to start like this. Small, peaceful, prosperous. It can still be that way. Aside from the relics, trinkets, monuments, and the land, what truly makes a Kingdom great?” I sat atop my mount, deep in thought, and at first I had no answer, but as I watched them scurry across the fields, helping each other out, I knew my father had brought me out here for a reason.

“The people.

My father nodded and a slight smile appeared on his face. “Yes. The people. Even your enemy cannot attack without the support of his people. Even your most steadfast ally can do naught but stand idly by if his Kingdom is in chaos whilst yours is under threat. You are the servant of the people, not their master. You are their protector, not their overlord.”

I was confounded. This was not the father I knew. Did something on the crusade cause this sharp turnabout in his ruling style? “So how do you propose we go about protecting these people?” I gestured towards the serfs running around in the fields. He smirked, and this time a hint of arrogance entered his voice. “I already have. They would have perished without Lord Phillip and his Templars’ protection.”

I felt like an idiot. Of course. I was there. “And the poor, destitute, and downtrodden in Jerusalem?” I inquired. My father inhaled and exhaled, and something told me he was enjoying all this. “Tonight a heavily guarded caravan will be making its way from the royal compound to the Beggar’s Quarter. It will be laden with food, purchased with the spoils of war we have plundered from the Ayyubid lands. It will also contain florins, and certain common medicine that the people have been sorely lacking since…forever. And you will be leading that caravan.”

I marvelled at the brilliance of it all. It seemed that my father had had all this planned out to perfection before he had even left for the crusade. Years and years’ worth of planning, followed by years and years of execution in which so many things could have gone wrong. He had every right to be as proud as he was surely feeling right now. Such a sense of accomplishment was something only I could hope to achieve myself one day. A sudden wave of emotion came over me, and I hugged my father tightly, almost falling off my horse. “Where have you been, father?” I whispered.

“I’m home, son. I’m home now.” His voice was cracking, and I almost wanted to break free from the embrace to see if my father was actually crying, for it sounded very much like it, but I didn’t want to let him go, not for anything in the world.

A short while later, my father led us back to the stable where we changed into ceremonial armour, then we headed towards a field outside of Jerusalem, this time with a full complement of guards. It was a day where half the city was actually outside the city. Thousands of people had thronged to the makeshift tourney fields, where Venetian knights were trying to unhorse their Genoese counterparts in a joust. There were many good fights, but the rivalry was fiercest between the English and the French, as Princess Joan had told me it would be. I looked around for her, but it was almost impossible to find someone in this crowd, and I had a coronation to attend to in any case.

The ceremony took place at a clearing. All the apprehension and anxiety that I had over the previous few weeks towards the coronation had all but disappeared. I was on an emotional high with the sudden change in my father’s character, and was savouring every moment of it.

My father held a sword that was kept in the Holy Sepulcher itself and only to be used for this purpose – the coronation of Kings and Princes of Jerusalem. He touched it to both my shoulders and said a few words, and knighted me there and then on the spot – my reward for suffering all the way through childhood in order to serve my Kingdom.

After which, still in full view of everyone, Cardinal Reynaud presented me with three gifts – but I was only allowed to choose one. They were three embroidered flags sown by his own clergy members and blessed by the Pope himself, and I was to pick one that I resonated the most strongly with. A flag bearing the sword, one bearing the cross, and lastly, one bearing the image of a knight. “By picking these flags, you will display to your people which part of being a ruler you deem the most important. The sword represents military might, the cross represents Holy piety, and the knight represents defending the people. The one that you choose will be sown onto your personal banner, that you will bring with you wherever you go, so that it will remind you of your commitment to your cause.”

My choice was immediate and obvious. The common people cheered wildly when I hoisted the flag of the knight high, but the nobility and clergy were less pleased.

Thankfully, my father saved me the trouble of speaking to the crowd and gave a long speech himself. He ended it with: “Today my son becomes a man. He has been touched by God’s Steel, and now will deliver God’s Justice to our enemies. Lords and ladies, citizens of the realm, I give you, my son and heir, the First Prince of Jerusalem and your future King, Lord Jean de Brienne!”

A rapturous roar emanated from the crowd as I stood up and waved. When it was over, the various ambassadors and diplomats started to form a line to offer me their congratulations, but my father bid them be seated, and motioned someone forward.
    The ambassador from England stood and approached me, with Princess Joan following close behind. She was dressed in a radiant red gown that fit her snugly, and I was certainly not the only person admiring her figure as she closed the distance between us. The ambassador started to address the crowd, but as usual Princess Joan came straight to me. I was slightly flustered at this public display of…whatever this was, but resolved not to back away in front of everyone.

“Remember when I told you that you needed to try harder?” Princess Joan took my hand and squeezed it lightly. “All you need to do now is say yes.” As I processed those words, my eyes widened as I finally realized what she wanted. The breath caught in my throat as I struggled to come to terms with what she had just suggested.

“The English Crown presents the Kingdom of Jerusalem with Princess Joan as a bride for Prince Jean.” The ambassador bellowed, the crowd watching in complete silence at this new development. I was still unsure. Well this is certainly a step up from simply seeing each other.

“What is the Kingdom of Jerusalem’s answer?” The ambassador yelled with more pomp that I would have allowed. Princess Joan stared at me, and I could see her beseeching me silently in those exquisite eyes of hers. And it was in those alluring eyes that I found the voice to give my answer.

I had made the mistake of rebuffing her twice. I would not do so again.

Last edited by Swaeft; August 27, 2018 at 07:14 AM. Reason: I swear, the day I get the first post right is the day I rep everyone everywhere

Content Emeritus

It's nice to see the relation between Jean and his father improving although I don't think they will ever be best of friends, sort to speak. I love the thing you did with the three flags choosing preference to either the nobility, church or people, it is no wonder Jean picked the third one. He might become a reluctant king, but better a reluctant king with a sense of duty, like Jean, than a powerhungry king who only thinks of himself and not his people. Princess Joan is a very shrewd woman which might come in handy in the future for Jean and the kingdom of Jerusalem.

To wrap it all up a wonderful and superb update!

P.P.P.S. the wise man is already gladdened to have seen his knowledge spread to the Holy Land.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

It's nice to see the relation between Jean and his father improving although I don't think they will ever be best of friends, sort to speak. I love the thing you did with the three flags choosing preference to either the nobility, church or people, it is no wonder Jean picked the third one. He might become a reluctant king, but better a reluctant king with a sense of duty, like Jean, than a powerhungry king who only thinks of himself and not his people. Princess Joan is a very shrewd woman which might come in handy in the future for Jean and the kingdom of Jerusalem.

To wrap it all up a wonderful and superb update!

P.P.P.S. the wise man is already gladdened to have seen his knowledge spread to the Holy Land.
    You have a very astute mind Turkafinwe. I still haven't really decided on how the father and son dynamic will pan out but I have some idea. Have you ever played Dragon Age: Inquisition? I adapted the flag idea from there. Which is a very polite way of saying stole. It's honestly a little hard for me to write about a reluctant King, I for one can't figure out how and why someone would ever be reluctant to be a King (which is why I'm having so much fun writing about it).

I was lucky to have bumped into Princess Joan tbh. I was using the starting diplomat at Rome the crusader states get to just explore the Rome to Paris area, and I caught up to her at Paris. It made for a bit more of an interesting tale, and is the reason why I always play a few turns in advance, so you can insert a portion of the story that would fit in nicely that you never would have noticed if you played it turn by turn.

P.P.P.P.S Are you sure it is knowledge that the wise man will be spreading? I wonder how many Ps this will go on for

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Great chapter! The awkwardness, the uncertainty and the compassion of Lord Jean, as a young man trying to live up to the expectations of his father, his society and his own beliefs, came across well. I enjoyed the King's response to Lord Jean's observations about the Beggar's Quarter and the King's clear-sighted comments about Princess Joan. I also enjoyed the moment when Lord Jean had to choose between the three flags, showing us more of Lord Jean's character.

If there was one AAR which I wanted to read the most it was this one. I have been excited to read it since the day you announced it but couldn't since I had exams.
    It's very well written and I am loving the way it is. The best part is that I have go to read perspectives of various people- the very thing which had made me excited in the first place. I just hope to see more posts soon. My personal favvy part is one where the Assassins tried to kill Prince Jean. Also I hope you wouldn't mind if I use your idea of using pictures from the game in the AAR and also of using different perspectives.( I am thinking of writing a Rome 2 AAR and so would love to use diff perspectives there if I write.) Overall going really well though one suggestion-
    When you say Bohmeond had 1 ship or 800 men marched to battle it doesn't look that accurate (ofc its just my opinion), instead you can use my trick- I multiply land units by 10 and then round off so 835 men become 8500 men and 1 unit of ships becomes 10 ships which makes it look more realistic. Just a suggestion ofc and it's upon you if you wanna use this or not
    Last edited by Caesar16; August 29, 2018 at 05:05 AM.
    My AAR- The Restoration of the Empire-A Vanilla Byzantine AAR

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Great chapter! The awkwardness, the uncertainty and the compassion of Lord Jean, as a young man trying to live up to the expectations of his father, his society and his own beliefs, came across well. I enjoyed the King's response to Lord Jean's observations about the Beggar's Quarter and the King's clear-sighted comments about Princess Joan. I also enjoyed the moment when Lord Jean had to choose between the three flags, showing us more of Lord Jean's character.
    To be rather honest with you, I had to rush this chapter out in just under two hours, so I'm glad its being viewed so positively...at least by you Once again, I appreciate you continually highlighting the good points in the AAR so I know where else I have to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar16 View Post
    If there was one AAR which I wanted to read the most it was this one. I have been excited to read it since the day you announced it but couldn't since I had exams.
    It's very well written and I am loving the way it is. The best part is that I have go to read perspectives of various people- the very thing which had made me excited in the first place. I just hope to see more posts soon. My personal favvy part is one where the Assassins tried to kill Prince Jean. Also I hope you wouldn't mind if I use your idea of using pictures from the game in the AAR and also of using different perspectives.( I am thinking of writing a Rome 2 AAR and so would love to use diff perspectives there if I write.) Overall going really well though one suggestion-
    When you say Bohmeond had 1 ship or 800 men marched to battle it doesn't look that accurate (ofc its just my opinion), instead you can use my trick- I multiply land units by 10 and then round off so 835 men become 8500 men and 1 unit of ships becomes 10 ships which makes it look more realistic. Just a suggestion ofc and it's upon you if you wanna use this or not
    Hello hello hello! I'm very excited you feel that way, and I sure hope I'm not letting you down so far. I know the first ten or so chapters can get a little draggy, but if you managed to survive that then welcome abroad I'm really glad you like the idea of different perspectives, I think I mentioned somewhere earlier on that I wanted this to be from one person's point of view, but then expanded it later on when I realised it would make a much better story and allow possibilities to open up that would otherwise not work with a one person perspective. Oh...you naughty boy...enjoying Prince Jean getting himself into peril, eh? Don't worry, I can assure you, as the First Prince he will always be in peril.

Please, go ahead and use, well its not really my idea. I've just always wanted to give more recognition to the game and the modders and not use outsourced images to portray the events in the AAR as much as possible - after all, the AAR is about the game. I'm happy that another AARtist is sticking to such an honourable path I'm pretty sure I'm there are other AARs out there that utilize different perspectives (well, maybe not as frequently as mine), but by all means go ahead, I don't own a copyright or anything haha.

Writing a Rome 2 AAR sounds like a interesting idea, but as I don't have that game I can't really tell you whether it would be a good idea or not. Last I heard it was full of bugs, but I think recently they've been patching alot of those. A little bit of friendly advice - unless you plan on juggling two AARs at once (from personal experience that is a horrible idea unless you have loads of free time), try to finish your current Byzantine AAR first. Would really help build your portfolio and it's just nice to finish something and give your readers closure. (I'm the least qualified person to tell you that but yeah that's what I'm aiming for.)

Lastly, thanks for the tip on inflating troop numbers. I've actually put alot of thought into that before starting the AAR, and I know medieval armies ranged in size from 20,000 to 200,000! So yes, I agree that having 1000 men on one side is a little underwhelming, but I've found that it reflects the Crusader States' manpower shortages rather nicely. Of course fitting 800 men into ONE boat is rather unrealistic, and I haven't really thought of a fix for that, but since this is an AAR and not a story (although maybe someday I might turn it into one or even a TV Series LOL), I think people who play Medieval 2 can appreciate having a full stack on one boat...for now. I'll have to think of a solution, and I think I have one, but I'll see if I can implement it in the next update. Thanks for reading and commenting!

Oh and to the guy who is giving me anonymous rep...damn you...let me know who you are so I can rep you back!! Gotta spread some rep around anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    Oh and to the guy who is giving me anonymous rep...damn you...let me know who you are so I can rep you back!! Gotta spread some rep around anyway...
    That's me I am impressed by the story so far.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KingTutEgy View Post
    That's me I am impressed by the story so far.

Oh boy I can’t believe that worked

*cough cough* I mean you got me good there. Many thanks for revealing yourself, enjoy the rep

If you have the time, I would really appreciate it if you could let me know if the story can be improved in any way (e.g. pace too slow, not enough action, that sort of thing). But of course I know not everyone has the time to do that, and in the past most of the time I come to this forum just to read and ghost away...so I understand

P.S. Seems like the old man Stefano was talking to has flown under the radar. Will feature him again soon

Oh boy I can’t believe that worked

*cough cough* I mean you got me good there. Many thanks for revealing yourself, enjoy the rep

If you have the time, I would really appreciate it if you could let me know if the story can be improved in any way (e.g. pace too slow, not enough action, that sort of thing). But of course I know not everyone has the time to do that, and in the past most of the time I come to this forum just to read and ghost away...so I understand

P.S. Seems like the old man Stefano was talking to has flown under the radar. Will feature him again soon
    Frankly the story is great especially with having the focus on multiple characters. it makes me feel that I am watching a movie where multiple things happening at once. I think the biggest improvement you can try to do is giving a glimpse on Ayyubid side. I would start to develop an Ayyubid nemesis who is behind all the assassination attempts that would lead the prince of Jerusalem or Henry to fight against him in a big battle. The choice of the character is up to you because you seem very good at killing Ayyubid generals . Personally, I would shed lights on the situation in Egypt and the Ayyubid royal family's reaction to all their recent losses. It does not have to be a big chapter but it would show the other side. Maybe you could have the Prince of Jerusalem travel to Rome to seek the pop's approval of the marriage or whatever something creative you can think of.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Frankly the story is great especially with having the focus on multiple characters. it makes me feel that I am watching a movie where multiple things happening at once. I think the biggest improvement you can try to do is giving a glimpse on Ayyubid side. I would start to develop an Ayyubid nemesis who is behind all the assassination attempts that would lead the prince of Jerusalem or Henry to fight against him in a big battle. The choice of the character is up to you because you seem very good at killing Ayyubid generals . Personally, I would shed lights on the situation in Egypt and the Ayyubid royal family's reaction to all their recent losses. It does not have to be a big chapter but it would show the other side. Maybe you could have the Prince of Jerusalem travel to Rome to seek the pop's approval of the marriage or whatever something creative you can think of.
    Haha hey, did I tell you that one of my dreams is to direct a movie someday? Lmao it will probably be a 5min youtube flick...if youtube is still the go to platform 20 years later.

You have some very good ideas regarding the plot, and I appreciate the prompt response. At first I wanted to portray the Ayyubid side only through the Hashashin, as developing main characters take time and I will more often than not fall into the trap of dedicating entire chapters to them. The other problem, is as you mentioned - no Ayyubid character is safe enough for me to dedicate some time to writing about before they die, and I don't really want to write about a main character that is not actually in the game. But I can see it's appeal, and perhaps I'll do a short write up on an Emir, just like I did in my Sicilian AAR last time.

I agree, it's high time I shed some light on the overall situation in the campaign - after all, this is an AAR! That goal will be met in the update after the next one, which is due in about five to eight hours' time, depending on how fast I get home from work.

Not going to say too much but a Prince of Jerusalem might have already traveled to Rome...

Thanks for the feedback! It is really very much appreciated.

Edit: I do feel that I should mention that I have roughly the whole story thought out already, now it's just waiting to see if the campaign plays out in a fashion that allows me to incorporate elements of the story into the AAR. But I am very open to suggestions from all of you, and the storyboard now is quite flexible and in no way set in stone. So keep those suggestions coming!
    Last edited by Swaeft; August 31, 2018 at 12:34 AM.

Of course fitting 800 men into ONE boat is rather unrealistic, and I haven't really thought of a fix for that, but since this is an AAR and not a story, I think people who play Medieval 2 can appreciate having a full stack on one boat...for now. I'll have to think of a solution, and I think I have one, but I'll see if I can implement it in the next update. Thanks for reading and commenting!
    It might be a bit of a hard house rule to go by, given your economic situation with KoJ and with how expensive the upkeep on boats is, but you could try to always make it so you have only one unit per boat, or at most two to one boat (i.e. stack of 8 units requires 4-8 boats). That would eliminate this unrealism and also give you an extra challenge. Just a thought.

I would start to develop an Ayyubid nemesis who is behind all the assassination attempts that would lead the prince of Jerusalem or Henry to fight against him in a big battle. The choice of the character is up to you because you seem very good at killing Ayyubid generals . Personally, I would shed lights on the situation in Egypt and the Ayyubid royal family's reaction to all their recent losses. It does not have to be a big chapter but it would show the other side. Maybe you could have the Prince of Jerusalem travel to Rome to seek the pope's approval of the marriage or whatever something creative you can think of.
    I also think some enemy viewpoints would add much to the AAR. It's all well ang good to flip around between our various crusaders, but it's still a more one-sided story with "good" guys and "bad" guys. Adding some more humanity and depth to our faceless adversaries would be cool. Also, I have a theory about the assassinations, which I will put in spoilers because it might actually be a spoiler for some people.

Assassination theory

There are oblique comments here and there about the assassination that seem to hint at it involving Christian people at the very top, and not in fact originating from the Ayyubids. Also, there was one moment where there seemed to be a bit of familiarity between the person hiring the assassins and the prince himself. I think that Tigel de Linus is hiring them, or perhaps one of the Ibelins. Just a theory though. I'd sift through the posts to show the parts that made me think that, but who has the time to go back through all of that just to prove a point.

At first I wanted to portray the Ayyubid side only through the Hashashin, as developing main characters take time and I will more often than not fall into the trap of dedicating entire chapters to them. The other problem, is as you mentioned - no Ayyubid character is safe enough for me to dedicate some time to writing about before they die, and I don't really want to write about a main character that is not actually in the game. But I can see it's appeal, and perhaps I'll do a short write up on an Emir, just like I did in my Sicilian AAR last time.
    I don't know if you read any Terry Pratchett, but he has a great ability to include individual characters for sort of "one-off" scenes to get some point across. He'll just drop us into a scene with totally unknown characters but ones with names that make it obvious who they belong to (that's easy for your case, what with the obviously Arab names you can use to denote the Ayyubids who you'd be most likely to incorporate) and then he'll develop some interesting idea and close the scene. The characters don't come in again, so you don't have to worry about thinking them out fully, and you can make them more intense or odd without then having to keep those oddities around for the rest of the work. It might be worth considering and might prove to add a bit of fun to the writing. Or you can just include them every so often, but not always, and then you have some reserve characters to use when you've got an idea worth exploring but that doesn't fit into the main character canon.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    It might be a bit of a hard house rule to go by, given your economic situation with KoJ and with how expensive the upkeep on boats is, but you could try to always make it so you have only one unit per boat, or at most two to one boat (i.e. stack of 8 units requires 4-8 boats). That would eliminate this unrealism and also give you an extra challenge. Just a thought.

I also think some enemy viewpoints would add much to the AAR. It's all well ang good to flip around between our various crusaders, but it's still a more one-sided story with "good" guys and "bad" guys. Adding some more humanity and depth to our faceless adversaries would be cool. Also, I have a theory about the assassinations, which I will put in spoilers because it might actually be a spoiler for some people.

Assassination theory

There are oblique comments here and there about the assassination that seem to hint at it involving Christian people at the very top, and not in fact originating from the Ayyubids. Also, there was one moment where there seemed to be a bit of familiarity between the person hiring the assassins and the prince himself. I think that Tigel de Linus is hiring them, or perhaps one of the Ibelins. Just a theory though. I'd sift through the posts to show the parts that made me think that, but who has the time to go back through all of that just to prove a point.

I don't know if you read any Terry Pratchett, but he has a great ability to include individual characters for sort of "one-off" scenes to get some point across. He'll just drop us into a scene with totally unknown characters but ones with names that make it obvious who they belong to (that's easy for your case, what with the obviously Arab names you can use to denote the Ayyubids who you'd be most likely to incorporate) and then he'll develop some interesting idea and close the scene. The characters don't come in again, so you don't have to worry about thinking them out fully, and you can make them more intense or odd without then having to keep those oddities around for the rest of the work. It might be worth considering and might prove to add a bit of fun to the writing. Or you can just include them every so often, but not always, and then you have some reserve characters to use when you've got an idea worth exploring but that doesn't fit into the main character canon.
    Actually that is a really simple and effective house rule to play by that I think I will include from now on (am actually playing a few turns ahead of the AAR so it will take a few updates to come into effect), many thanks for that. My other solution was to write that the armies commandeered merchant vessels to lodge in, with only one battle-worthy cog to escort the fleet, but this would be a much more realistic option.

With regards to the enemy viewpoints, I am actually worried that putting in a one-off or two-off character will make the readers actually forget who the person is, then when I reintroduce the person after a while, they will then try to find the previous chapter that they thought they saw the name in, which is time consuming and isn't what I want. I sort of did a silent test run with the boy spy that Foucaud recruited to see if this was feasible, but so far it isn't very encouraging. But that's mostly on me, and I'm open to any suggestions you have for me, so I am definitely considering this possibility. I am in full agreement with you that adding depth and humanity to the Ayyubids will help tremendously.

Thanks for the tip on Terry Pratchett, I haven't actually heard of him before, but then I'm not actually an avid reader so I don't really know the names of most good authors out there except for a few (umm...Dan Brown anyone?), but yes I do agree that the Arab names will help. I will have to extend the AAR by a chapter or three but I believe it will be worth it in the long run. If I ever have the time I will try to look this man up. Once again thank you very much for your feedback Kilo11, it is always greatly appreciated. Have a rep on me!

Edit: A spokesperson from the Jerusalem Department of Defense just told me to drop you a line regarding your assassination theory, umm here it is: "Swaeft will not comment on any ongoing investigations."
    Last edited by Swaeft; August 31, 2018 at 05:46 AM.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

From the Perspective of Lord Jean, First Prince of Jerusalem, The City of Jerusalem, 1236 AD.

The days immediately succeeding my coronation were some of the busiest in my life. Right after the ceremony, my father and I entertained our foreign guests all afternoon in a show of solidarity, with Princess Joan – or just Joan as she told me to call her – by my side the whole time. It was incredibly exhausting to repeat different variations of the same pleasantries over and over again, but I somehow managed to last until the delegates had had their fill of speaking to me. After that, I spent the rest of the evening supervising the distribution of food, medicine, and florins to the general population in the Beggar’s Quarter. There were a few incidents of violence, as the peasants tried to grab what they could, but the presence of priests from the Sepulchre helped calm most of the nerves, and the Canons of the Holy Sepulchre who were guarding the caravans gently removed the more defiant troublemakers.

None of the people so much as thanked me, or cheered my name as they did my fathers’, and I was slightly miffed about that. “It will take time.” Tigel de Linus told me. “These people have been starving for years. A one time display of generosity will not get you into their good graces just yet.”

“This isn’t going to be a one time thing. I plan on doing more of it.”

Tigel de Linus raised his eyebrows. “Then we’d better make sure we can sustain it. From what I hear from Paragon, our treasury was barely able to support this endeavour.”

In the morning after the coronation, our treasurer Paragon told me that quite a few trade agreements had been signed with major kingdoms such as Hungary, Poland and the Byzantines, who were ready to reopen trade routes with us now that our northern borders were secure. Fine Byzantine silk, handwoven Hungarian wool and thoroughbred Polish horses would now be available to the crown. The removal of all Ayyubid forces north of Damascus meant that our people no longer had to live in fear of Saracen raids, which was a common occurrence just a few years ago. Inter-settlement trade between Antioch, Aleppo, Tortosa and Damascus was blooming, and the merchant trade in Jerusalem was really beginning to pick up.

All of that helped to finance the royal wedding which was to take place as soon as the circumstances permitted. My father wanted it held as quickly as possible, so that the delegations from the other kingdoms could be in attendance and lend some legitimacy and prestige to the event. Joan informed me that England was willing to finance a portion of the wedding, and persuaded me to let her handle the arrangements. I was more than happy to – another thing that I didn’t have to do!

The wedding itself took place on a blustery morning just one week after my coronation. Most of the lords and ambassadors who had arrived to commemorate my coronation were still here, although some had begged their leave due to urgent matters in their homelands. Tigel de Linus had members of his city watch put on some fine-looking ceremonial armour for a change, and equipped them with halberds from which heraldries and banners were draped. The Byzantine envoy had graciously provided us with over fifty metres of first-rate purple carpeting, which was used to line the floor of the Sepulchre in which the wedding was to be held from the entrance all the way to the shrine. With the crowd filling in the rest of the space and the city guards looking pristine, it was really a magnificent view that I never thought I would have the pleasure of enjoying during a time of war.

But even more majestic and breath-taking was the way Joan looked and carried herself when she entered the Sepulchre. The double doors were thrown open by the doormen who were garbed in fine clothing for the occasion, but they could not hold a candle to the exquisite dress that Joan was wearing. It was so long that she had to have two handmaidens carry the ends for her, and it was nothing if not awe-inspiring. The white color accentuated her figure, while simultaneously giving off an air of purity and goodness. The morning sunlight filtered through the expensive stained-glass windows and lent its heavenly aura to my betrothed. The crowd bayed and cheered as she made her way down the aisle, and I savoured every moment of it.

The priest tried to get my attention to complete the ceremony, but nothing could distract me from her that day. I stammered and mumbled my way through the vows, and could barely wait until it was all over. I pecked her lightly on the lips when it was done, and promised to do more in the very near future. I once again had to endure the pleasantries and meaningless congratulations from the nobles in attendance, but this time my wife used her charm to get us both out of the situation. My wife! I couldn’t stop smiling from ear to ear. My wife! I stopped on the way to my chambers to receive Lorenzo’s congratulations, and found that he was doing pretty well for himself since the trade routes were reopened. We exchanged a promise to catch up when time permitted, and I gave him a tight hug before we parted ways.

I kept my promise that night. It was a marvellous night, and when we were both done, I lay flat on my back, her head on my chest, wishing that the moment would never end, that we could somehow entrap ourselves in time and just lie there forever. I felt better than I’d ever had before. The past week had brought me closer to my father, Joan, and things were looking up for our tiny Kingdom. I didn’t think it could get any better.

And for the umpteenth time in my life I was proven wrong. A couple of days after my wedding, I was sparring in the yard with Henri when, after breaking my guard, he broke the news to me that he wanted to be betrothed to my sister.

“What?” I dropped my sword. “Why?”

Henri bent down to retrieve my sword for me, and grinned sheepishly. “Well, I couldn’t help but notice how blissful you and Princess Joan were the night of your wedding. I guess I just wanted a wedding as grand as that so that I can see her happy. Are you okay with this?”

He proffered the sword, and I took it, frowning. “No.”

Henri de Lusignan blinked twice in the space of a heartbeat. “I’m sorry, what?”

“I said no.”

Henri started to get visibly flustered. “Umm…why not? We’re happy together, I haven’t mistreated–”

“No, you may not hold a wedding grander than my own. I will not allow it.” I let the seconds tick by, then I beamed as it finally dawned on Henri that I was just teasing him. He scowled good naturedly and raised his sword. “That’s the second time you’ve gotten me good now, Prince Jean. I’ll make you pay for this.”

I hefted my own sword, the smile on my face far from faded. “Alright, I’ll give my blessing…as soon as you best me for this round. En garde!”

After which, while smarting from our bruises, Henri and I went to pay a visit to my sister. “You were always the better swordsman.” I conceded. Henri simply chuckled to himself, but I could tell that beneath that jovial exterior, he was nervous, and understandably so. “There’s no way that she’ll reject me, right?” I decided that this was not the time to take a playful jibe at him, so I kept my mouth shut.

However, Henri’s fears were unfounded. My sister was overjoyed when she witnessed Henri go to one knee and profess his love for her, and it was the first time I saw her cry in the many years we’ve lived together. It really warmed my heart to finally see some happiness come to my family after years of suffering and war.

Alas, all good things must come to an end, and this time the end came sooner than I expected.

My father unequivocally rejected Henri’s betrothal the moment I mentioned it at dinner. Henri was told in no uncertain terms that ‘my daughter is out of your reach’, and was sternly instructed to give up his pursuit of her. When I pleaded with father on Henri’s behalf, he was only more incensed to find out that they had been seeing each other without his permission to begin with. “Princess Yolande will be a great asset to our kingdom in the times to come,” my father declared, “and I will not have her sent away to live with some upstart noble when there are clearly better catches out there.”

I was nonplussed. “Father? You yourself married a de Lusignan. Mother is –”

“From a different branch of their family,” he interrupted, “and that was an arranged marriage. I had no say in it.”

“And you want the same for Yolande?”

Father grabbed me by the scruff of my neck and glowered. “That is how this works! A marriage alliance is infinitely more useful than a union borne out of love. I have already brought the de Lusignans to our side when I married Marie.” Out of the corner of my eye, I could see my sister and mother sitting in silence, probably in shock.

“And you will lose the next generation of de Lusignans if you do not allow Yolande to marry Henri.” I stated, but father did not seem to care. Henri was morose and quietly left the table, and my heart went out for him.

“We will speak no more of this.” He proclaimed, and he looked so mad that I dared not say another word in defiance.

Shortly after, my father departed Jerusalem to continue the crusade. I felt a bitter taste in my mouth as I watched his army march out of the southern gates. It would seem that once again, our disagreements had damaged our relationship, which I had initially hoped was on its way to recovery. I shook my head in disgust. Nothing is ever so easy. Then, a second thought crossed my mind. But I am no longer a child. I am the First Prince.

Two days after my father left for Gaza, I summoned Yolande and Henri to my chambers, and informed them of my intention to let them go ahead and marry. A few moments of silence passed as they both exchanged wary looks, and for a moment I thought they would not dare take me up on my offer. Henri was elated, but my sister was more guarded. “You’d risk father’s wrath just for us?”

It wasn’t a trivial task, and it took a few more days, but eventually Henri and I, together with my mother’s support, persuaded her to go ahead with the marriage. I strongly suspected that my mother had the greatest influence on her and perhaps, had made my sister change her mind by portraying the massive downsides to an arranged marriage. Henri and my sister were wed in a ceremony much simpler than mine, and in the local cathedral instead of the Sepulchre, but it was no less of a big deal for either of them, and when the ceremony was concluded I welcomed Henri into our family as a brother.

As I had come of age, Tigel de Linus was no longer obliged to remain as the acting governor of the city, but I kept him on as my adviser due to his invaluable experience. I was gradually eased into the role of the First Prince, and with Tigel de Linus at my side, started to attend more city council hearings, war council meetings and diplomatic visits.

Foucaud also reported directly to me now, in addition to my father, and I was most pleased to learn that the boy he was training had quickly become one of his best protégés. The size of my personal retinue was also expanded, due to the need for increased security and protection as I was now confirmed as a person of paramount importance to the realm. Not that I wasn’t before. Interestingly enough, I also had the authority to knight people whom I deemed worthy, but I was counselled by Tigel de Linus and the Constable to guard that power carefully, lest I set a dangerous or poor precedent for knighthood.

I also took the time to study father’s war plans, both past and present. From the notes in the war council, it would seem that this crusade was planned as far back as when I was born! It would appear that he had considered many different options, such as a swift, decisive capture of Gaza, or a push as far south as Mecca to destroy the holiest of Islamic cities. The crusade’s plans had undergone many changes and variations, and the final iteration was a product of ceaseless planning and thoughtful decision making. And it wasn’t just an amazing military feat. The logistics and the simultaneous executions of many parts of the plan – Lord Bohemond’s sea raids, Lord Phillip’s protection of Jerusalem – were necessary for the overall campaign to succeed. Not for the first time, I took a few moments savouring the perfection of it all. Whatever else he was, my father was a peerless strategist, and no matter what I thought of him, it was painfully obvious that the Kingdom needed him much more than it needed me. It was there and then I resolved to study his war plans, to learn and absorb as much of his military genius as I could.

It was during one of these studying sessions that I was interrupted by a very unsettled Henri. He quickly ushered me to the throne room, where a group of men were gathered around my wife, Princess Joan, who was trying to calm them down. She fixed me with a dour gaze when she noticed my presence.

“Prince Jean!” One of the men gasped. “Please, my lord. You have to help us. We may already be too late.”

I took my seat on the elaborately decorated throne, and motioned for Joan to sit down on my right. “What’s the issue here?”

“We sent a missive a few months ago, but no reply was received, my Prince. We had reports of a large Seljuk army camped in the vicinity of the Sicilian city of Antioch."

"For a few weeks, our scouts observing them said that they were simply living off the land. But no good can ever come of a foreign army encamped in another sovereign Kingdom's soil, and in this case the Seljuks were simply goading the Sicilian garrison into coming out from behind the walls of their city. The Antioch garrison commander was inexperienced and took to the field. The Seljuks slaughtered them in battle, then declared war against the Kingdom of Sicily and the Holy Roman Empire. Since then, they’ve taken Antioch and Aleppo, killing anyone standing in their way, and now there is no significant defense between them and our northern territories. Lords Bohemond in Tortosa and Jean d’Ibelin in Damascus beg for urgent reinforcements.”

A grave silence filled the throne room. My stomach slowly twisted into a knot as the grave implications of this development made themselves apparent to me. The north is defenceless. I turned to Sir Raimondo. “Summon Lord Tigel de Linus immediately.” He dispatched one of his men for the task, then whispered to me: “My prince, your father took most of Lord Philip’s men with him to Gaza. We only have a token force left here for Jerusalem’s protection.”

Another man spoke up, and I recognized him as Lorenzo’s father. “My prince, there is another matter. I represent the Merchant’s Guild here in Jerusalem, and we regret to inform you that the Seljuks are plundering our trade routes and looting our caravans. Land trade between Cilicia all the way to the Bosphorus Strait has all but ceased due to their reaving and pillaging. Our coffers are suffering, and by extension so is your treasury. We beseech you to deal with this issue swiftly so that proper trade can resume for the benefit of all.”

No, no, no, no. The Seljuks were undoing all the work my father had done in the past few years. “Have they declared war on us?” I asked.

Joan was the one who answered this time. “No, husband. No word has been forthcoming from the Seljuks about their intentions. I have taken the liberty to send messengers asking whether they intend to advance into our territory –”

“– and that would accomplish nothing.” Heads swivelled to see that Tigel de Linus had entered. “English diplomacy may work well with the civilised Kingdoms in Europe, but the Seljuks are known for their cruelty and their willingness to break treaties at whim. Talking to them would likely only accomplish nothing but the deaths of our envoys.”

My wife’s eyes flared, and I realised she was not used to being talked back to. “Still, we have to try.” She persisted, and I for one agreed with her. “Diplomacy must come before war.”

“My Prince, I suggest we adjourn to the war room, where we may discuss our plans in…private.” Tigel de Linus flicked his eyes towards the many men and women in the throne room, and I immediately understood.

I dismissed the messengers, asked my sister Yolande to hold court in my stead, then proceeded to the war room with great haste along with Tigel de Linus, Henri, and my wife. Cardinal Reynaud joined us along the way, having been summoned by Tigel de Linus the moment he received my summons.

“Well then,” I asked as we entered, “what do you propose we do, Lord de Linus?” I gestured for everyone to take their seats, but Tigel de Linus remained standing.

“We don’t have the men to spare, my Prince. And we need every single sword and spear we have here in the city. If your father fails against Gaza, the forces we currently have are the only thing standing in the way of an annexation of this city.”

“Well, can we recall my father’s army from Gaza and send them north instead?”

“Not a chance.” Tigel de Linus declared. “He has already committed his men to the siege. Lifting the siege now would leave his army exposed and too vulnerable to a counter-attack, not to mention the fact that his men will be too dismayed by the prospect of a failed crusade to stay as a cohesive fighting force. Desertion may well become a bigger problem than the Ayyubids then.”

"I concur." Cardinal Reynaud spoke up. "Men who partake in a holy crusade often have a singular thirst to capture the crusade target or die trying. If told to retreat, they would most likely desert. This is the strength of their religious zeal, and is as God has willed. In addition, there are decades of holy artifacts and spiritual treasures in the Sepulchre and its Cathedral. Under no circumstances can we allow the Ayyubids get their hands on them. We must defend this city to the last."

“Do nothing, then?” Henri retorted. “Stay here, in Jerusalem, while the Seljuks pillage and destroy our northern territories?”

“Not nothing.” Joan interceded, stroking her chin thoughtfully. “There is another way. The armies of the crusading kingdoms will no doubt be almost upon us by now. When the Byzantine ambassador made a present out of the silk carpet for my wedding, he told me that several crusading armies had crossed the Bosphorus and were travelling at great speed towards us. I propose we keep our forces here and let the crusading armies deal with the Seljuks.”

“That would indeed be the most expedient solution to our current predicament, Princess.” Tigel de Linus observed. “A shrewd plan.”

I scratched my forehead, not entirely convinced. “So that’s it then? We’re really going to take no action?”

Tigel de Linus sighed, and placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. “My Prince, sometimes, the best thing to do is nothing. There is a time for action, and there is a time for patience, and this is the time for patience.”

I felt extremely conflicted about resolving the situation like this, but in the end I deferred to Tigel de Linus’ expertise and my wife’s political experience. It was then I realised I desperately wanted my father here. He would know what to do. He always knows. As I watched my wife write the letters pleading for aid against the Seljuks, a solemn thought crossed my mind.

If we do nothing, and the European crusaders do not aid us against the Seljuks…I would be leaving everyone in Tortosa and Damascus for dead.

It was now abundantly clear to me that the celebrations and festivities that distracted us from war had to be ended, and our focus once again shifted to the defense of our Kingdom. The future was remarkably bleaker than it was two moons ago, and the notion that I might have just sent over a thousand men and ten times that number of citizens to their deaths kept me awake well into the wee hours of the morning.