Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: [Feedback] Suggestions & Improvements thread

Default Re: [Feedback] Suggestions & Improvements thread

Ancient Empires
    My humble review

Even though I have remained a consistent and dedicated fan and player of total war games, life has rendered it impossible for me to help out with the mods. Though the mods are the only reason I keep on spending whatever free time I can get these days.
    Ancient Empires is not only a great work in progress, it is one that needs to be completed, as soon as possible.
    It’s the kind of mod that is the wet dream of all total war fans. It is a dream that promises it may come true in time.
    I have played around with the battles, but I feel it is not long enough to say any more than that its good, it is certainly much, much better than my shock when I first played Rome II.
    Playing a battle here feels like fighting a battle at least. You can almost have a rehearsal of history with the excellent way things have been balanced so far.
    And there is so much more to praise about this mod. And I can’t wait to play a single player campaign. Which is why the campaign will be the focus of my review.
    Campaign pros and cons

The pros

The family trees are mostly immersive beyond anything I have ever seen so far. The biggest turn off of the total war series for me since medieval 2 has been the way that the family tree was treated. Instead of it being improved it was plunged into a quagmire of bugs in empire total war, it was rendered nearly pointless in Shogun 2. Then Rome 2 came out without it altogether. Attila total war brought a lesser version of it back. I say lesser because of one single question.
    ‘Whatever happened to the family names, whatever happened to their being inheritable as it is in real life.’
    Such are the kinds of changes that suck the energy out of any desire to carry on a campaign. It has become incredibly hard to care about an agent, a general, let alone a unit in an army. I am very impressed by seeing that a baby rules Egypt, as this was the reality. And I would love to reprise such roles.
    Ancient empires has offers such an impressive list of promising and awesome features. The character portraits are just awesome.
    The cons

My first campaign was with Rome of course. I plaid on normal difficulty. I played for 13 turns, and managed to conquer a few cities in north Africa including Carthage, however the biggest problem I had was that even after 13 turns I still had no way of ensuring a proper supply of food and Income at the same time. And in spite the fact that I made numerous trade agreements, and maintained only my original army, public order remained mostly out of control. Even though it remained not so dangerous, in fact by then all I had to do was to move my army to where I expected a rebellion and then crush it and move on.
    All in all I experienced only one ctd that forced me to backtrack to an earlier turn, a few naval unit cards were also missing in the Carthage roster. Aside from the inability of cavalry to remount I encountered no battle bugs. City unique designs are awesome save for a few floating chimneys here and there, the city centres are also often full of invisible obstacles.
    My second campaign was with Carthage. I plaid on normal difficulty.
    So far the only problem I have is the absurdly high native discontent.
    The UI looks great but the season indicator is a bit confusing.
    The family tree has a few characters that appear on both sides such as Bomilcar. I’m not sure how that works. Baalat is also listed as a wife, but has no husband.

That’s it so far, I hope to be able to mention a few more things as the campaign progresses
    Note I’m using the June 29th update so some of the issues may have been fixed, though its not mentioned in the change logs.

Hola todos!

The descriptions and images of the "Moneyer" building tree, 2nd and 3rd step, are turned around.
    Just thought I'd give the heads-up, don't know if anyone else noticed.

Still one of the best mods around! Have been playing for weeks now!
    Thanks again team!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Writer of Historia Romana

Cheers, thank you!
    Campaign modder for Ancient Empires

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmedaliqu View Post
    Also ive been experiencing this bug where cavalry cannot completely mount after unmounting and the unit gets stuck
    This is a known issue. It's not really fixable since it would ruin the spacing between soldiers in combat.

Can we get an option that allows us to change our capital? That way it might feel even more immersive like if we want to change our capital to Byzantium later on in the game. Thanks for considering our opinions you guys are great!
    This would still be pretty far off. If DeI's mechanic is portable to Attila and they allow us to make use of it, it may be possible in the nearer future.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleeon View Post
    Can we get more slave population from captured enemy armies after win battle on the battlefield ?
    >>>>at least in real as Roma, I will surely use them for Gladiators show, Lol
    Yes, I can raise this slightly.

Maximus183's Avatar Senator

What is the "climate change" level set to in AE? It seems like it's stage 3 or 4 of it in the vanilla campaign, which feels a bit excessive. There's heavy snows as far south as Cappadocia and deep into the Spanish peninsula. Perhaps consider dropping it a level or two? Just feels odd to suffer snow attrition in the more temperate regions.

Just to let everyone know. New major update is around the corner. The changelog will be posted tomorrow, and if Jupiter wills it so will the update be.

You know ive read that siege towers were used as platforms for artillery and there is mod like that

here's the link https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=551184261
    could we have something like this in the next update?

You know ive read that siege towers were used as platforms for artillery and there is mod like that
    here's the link https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=551184261
    could we have something like this in the next update?

Ooooh. That looks fun.

Whenever i research socii cohorts i cannot recruit the cohorts extraordinarii (heavy spear infantry)
    is anyone else experiencing this?
    I have posted this in the bug report thread as well as I am not sure if this is a bug or is intended

elephants are almost immortal now. my army surrounded them, I was shooting from all sides and I left the game because I would lose

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

At the risk of repeating myself, do you guys intend to give Pergamum Makedonian culture?
    I do not intend to offend anyone, but I am getting rather tired of asking the same question over and over again.
    I really do hope this is just a misunderstanding and my questions have gone under in the multitude of other questions.

If you do not intend to do as I ask, could you give us a reason why that is so?
    AFAIK it would fit better than Hellenic culture, with there being a King at the head of the faction.
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

Quote Originally Posted by Maetharin View Post
    At the risk of repeating myself, do you guys intend to give Pergamum Makedonian culture?
    I do not intend to offend anyone, but I am getting rather tired of asking the same question over and over again.
    I really do hope this is just a misunderstanding and my questions have gone under in the multitude of other questions.

If you do not intend to do as I ask, could you give us a reason why that is so?
    AFAIK it would fit better than Hellenic culture, with there being a King at the head of the faction.
    After a discussion we decided it was more accurate to keep the Hellenic culture based on Pergamon's political structure and close ties with other Greeks. I'm aware the starting Hellenistic in Asia is still modestly high, which causes discontent. This will be changed into a higher Hellenic fraction to make the start less of a rollercoaster. Sorry your question wasn't answered earlier

Thx for being so quick about it.

Would you happen to know whether changing it to Makedonian culture would entail a lot of work?
    I‘m considering applying these changes in a submod.

IMO it just doesn‘t make sense that I need to convert f.e. Pella into another building,
    even if it would have taken less effort to simply make use of existing infrastructure.

Especially all the Seleucid holdings in Asia would be an appealing target of they were of the same culture.

"I concur!"

​Me

Quote Originally Posted by Maetharin View Post
    Thx for being so quick about it.

Would you happen to know whether changing it to Makedonian culture would entail a lot of work?
    I‘m considering applying these changes in a submod.

IMO it just doesn‘t make sense that I need to convert f.e. Pella into another building,
    even if it would have taken less effort to simply make use of existing infrastructure.

Especially all the Seleucid holdings in Asia would be an appealing target of they were of the same culture.
    There are two entries at play here. One is subculture. Subculture determines which buildings, army traditions etc. are available to a faction, but has nothing to do with cultural friction (i.e. native discontent). This can be changed in the factions_table and is long-term compatible with the mod (we don't make frequent changes at all there). I think Pergamon has the Hellenistic subculture, but it could be Hellenic.

The second entry is less accessible. This is the religion, displayed as culture in-game (e.g. Makedonian culture, Latin culture). Religion decides friction between cultures. It is located in start_pos_factions (that is, the startpos). You can change the religion of Pergamon with the esf editor by going into the faction_array I think. Since the startpos is currently frequently updated it means you will have to update modifications here regularly. If you want more help contact me in PM with your mail and you will be invited to our private channels

I just want to ask what kind of changes and improvements want you doing in the near features ?
    Of course I now the first is bug fixing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    There are two entries at play here. One is subculture. Subculture determines which buildings, army traditions etc. are available to a faction, but has nothing to do with cultural friction (i.e. native discontent). This can be changed in the factions_table and is long-term compatible with the mod (we don't make frequent changes at all there). I think Pergamon has the Hellenistic subculture, but it could be Hellenic.

The second entry is less accessible. This is the religion, displayed as culture in-game (e.g. Makedonian culture, Latin culture). Religion decides friction between cultures. It is located in start_pos_factions (that is, the startpos). You can change the religion of Pergamon with the esf editor by going into the faction_array I think. Since the startpos is currently frequently updated it means you will have to update modifications here regularly. If you want more help contact me in PM with your mail and you will be invited to our private channels
    Ok thx for the quick rundown.
    Is it possible to give factions with differing "religions" the same subculture?
    This way Pergamon could theoretically take over Seleucid and Macedonian cities without having to convert them first.

Would be a step in the right direction at least^^

"I concur!"

​Me

I would like to see a larger number of Ancillaries. It seems like I keep getting the same five or six for each of the three slots.

Bohz's Avatar Libertus

Just to let everyone know. New major update is around the corner. The changelog will be posted tomorrow, and if Jupiter wills it so will the update be.
    Im getting a bit confused about releases..

Is the one you were talking about on the 5th of July the one that came out on the 9th of July on Steam?

Sorry again for my noobish confusion
    Last edited by Bohz; July 11, 2018 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zom View Post
    I would like to see a larger number of Ancillaries. It seems like I keep getting the same five or six for each of the three slots.
    There are over 100 ancillaries in the mod. Triggers are action based. So, I think revising the triggers chances would be a more frugal solution

There are over 100 ancillaries in the mod. Triggers are action based. So, I think revising the triggers chances would be a more frugal solution
    Well, I build 80% the same in all my provinces, so I guess I would be seeing the same ancillaries all the time.