Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: [Feedback] Suggestions & Improvements thread

Default Re: [Feedback] Suggestions & Improvements thread

Quote Originally Posted by praetor marcus View Post
    [IMG] WTF these stats.jpg[/IMG]Is the rebel stat suppose to be godlike like in the picture??Attachment 353826
    Have you restarted your campaign since the 1.01k update?
    Campaign modder for Ancient Empires

Quote Originally Posted by Spariel View Post
    Just wondering, will the next update concerning garrisons require a full restart?
    It shouldn't require an update. The garrisons may take up to a turn to appear in your ongoing campaign, but they should appear

Salah-ad-Din's Avatar Laetus

First off, congratulations on the beta release!

After playing some campaings (restarted a lot to see differences, etc), I have a suggestion in regards to the 2 buildings concerning sanitation and\or irrigation for all the factions I've played (Rome, Macedonia and Armenia):

Why not just have 1 building available in the province capital and a different one for minor towns. The capital one would be more focused on public order and sanitation and the minor one on irrigation and agricultural perks (Example: Fountains\Baths in capital, wells\canals in minors). This way I think it would address the redundance between both buildings and also give a distinct feeling between more urban areas and rural ones while also freeing up a slot for another type of building.

Anyway, congrats on the great work and good luck going forward, it feels like this is already a great mod so I can only imagine what it will be like when you guys are finally done

PS: I always wondered this; Is it impossible to mod the building limit in the settlements? Or adding buildings to it without actually having the town get bigger in size on the map?

I'm about 175 turns into a campaign and I think something has to be done about corruption. It's basically paralysed me - as I've expanded I've actually had to decrease my armies. I now control the majority of West Africa, all of Spain, all of Italy, and most of Greece and Illyria yet I can still only reliably field three armies at one time. I've pretty much maxed out all the buildings in my provinces and constructed those which can make the most profits (i.e. mints, certain farms, resources, etc.) yet still I've had to pursue the entire civil technology tree before even nearly finishing the third section of military tech just in order to keep a float. Currently I have around 78% corruption, despite only owning the aforementioned provinces.

I'm about 175 turns into a campaign and I think something has to be done about corruption. It's basically paralysed me - as I've expanded I've actually had to decrease my armies. I now control the majority of West Africa, all of Spain, all of Italy, and most of Greece and Illyria yet I can still only reliably field three armies at one time. I've pretty much maxed out all the buildings in my provinces and constructed those which can make the most profits (i.e. mints, certain farms, resources, etc.) yet still I've had to pursue the entire civil technology tree before even nearly finishing the third section of military tech just in order to keep a float. Currently I have around 78% corruption, despite only owning the aforementioned provinces.
    Edit: figured out what's wrong
    Last edited by Sheridan; June 23, 2018 at 10:56 AM.

Cascading Consumption

Two related issues. Playing as Rome there is no easily accessed source of lead, which is a vital resource for sanitation. In Italy I had one region with a negative 1 sanitation. Just as I finally found a source of trade for lead, consumption struck. In the three or four turns (I cannot recall exactly) that it took me to build latrines, that consumption spread all over the Republic. It spread to provinces and regions that had positive sanitation, like a wild fire. Now every turn, for example, it spreads to Rome from one or two other regions. Every new turn it spreads to four or five regions. This has been going on for several years. It is impossible to stop it. I see no end in sight... except looming bankruptcy.

I recall another player complained of a cascading disease, that he said lasted 20 turns if I remember correctly.

Two suggestions. The first is to make lead a bit more available in the Mediterranean basin. It is more scarce than gold and silver, and I am pretty sure that is not likely. Second, change the probabilities of disease spreading, or make it last a shorter time, or make it impossible for a period of time to infect a city that just recovered from that disease... or maybe all of the above?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180623170837_1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	390.6 KB 
ID:	353882Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180623170844_1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	390.4 KB 
ID:	353883

Here is a good example of how the consumption is like on a feedback loop: jumping back and forth between two cities with no chance of recovery. In fact, it jumped from one city to the other twice in the same turn.

Just checked the plague issue. The table has not been modified by AE, so any bugs would be from vanilla. This will require a bit of testing to figure out.

Here is another very strange thing. Rome finally has no consumption. For some reason, it appears that there is a negative sanitation, when in fact there is only a negative 3 compared to positive 7 for buildings (plus governor factors). The other building have no sanitation effects.

Attachment 353884Attachment 353885Attachment 353886Attachment 353887
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180623185035_1.jpg   20180623185050_1.jpg   20180623185059_1.jpg  
    Last edited by Zom; June 23, 2018 at 06:15 PM.

I believe this is because, since Rome is an urban region as indicated by the icon on the province info panel, it inherently has more squalor.

I believe this is because, since Rome is an urban region as indicated by the icon on the province info panel, it inherently has more squalor.
    Mmmmm, that would be counter productive. How can one plan and build without knowing the pertinent facts?

As I understand it you can hover your cursor over the icon (the temple looking thing) and it will give you the specifics about regions. That should help with facilitating planning.

As I understand it you can hover your cursor over the icon (the temple looking thing) and it will give you the specifics about regions. That should help with facilitating planning.
    Yes, I was just coming on to say you are right. I wanted to be sure I was not missing anything, so I examined all my urban areas that did not have consumption (only one other) and discovered what appeared at first to be "hidden" squalor. When I further examined, I discovered that indeed, on the lower left province stats, the icons for buildings do describe increased squalor that for some reason are not included where one would expect, the actual city description. So you were absolutely right.

Except the number still do not add up. Highly Urbanized Rome adds 6 to a squalor of 3 for the city, for 9 squalor points. Yet hovering over the sanitation icon says there are 10. Still one squalor point to find.

I can see how a player can build into squalor without knowing it. I suspect most players do as I do when deciding to upgrade a city, compare the squalor from a larger city with the current level city's squalor; usually a plus 2 or 3. Then a quick glance at current sanitation tells whether more sanitation is required for the upgrade. If there are other squalor points that do not show up on the description of the upgrade, disaster awaits. This begs the question: Why are the actual squalor points not contained in the description of each improvement? Another question: Are there higher squalor points associated with further urban development? Is there a category beyond "highly urbanized"?

A point to you, Spariel, for your helpful reply. Even though I found it on my own, you did a service.

Even with having a few cities with a -2 or so sanitation, that really does not explain why this consumption just keeps recurring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180624123139_1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	574.2 KB 
ID:	353901

Cis-Gaul is heavily sanitized. You see that there is an overall +19. Mediolanum has negative 5 for the city and negative 1 for the forum, net +13. Genua has neg. 5 for city and neg. 2 for wood, net +12. Yet the consumption keeps showing up in this province.

I am taking steps now to be sure I have plus in Italy, but it will not be enough to stop this consumption if a +12 does not keep a region safe.

First of all congrats on this overall masterpiece of a mod. i played this like crazy this weekend and i am now in turn 329 with rome. But it was a really tough journey there. So here are a few Suggestions and Feedback.

- Corruption is really an issue once you hit terrifiying imperium lvl and have lvl 4+ Cities. It completely prevents you from fielding more than 4 armies later on. After i controlled Italia, Cisalpina, South-spain, western islands and western part of North Africa i was able to field those 4 legions. I went on and conquered the rest of Spain, Illyria, Macedonia, Thrace and all of Africa including Egypt. And it was not possible to field a 5th army at any point. In Italia itself i had the roadbuilding (- corruption /banditry) and in rome and neapolis the Courthouse [-20% local corruption) which are 2 buildung slots used up but still my corruption was between 50-60%. in other provinces it was way worse with up to 78% corruption. That is a LOT of money you loose. After a certain point its more or less pointless to conquer more regions, because you loose all the extra income because of more corruption in the other provinces. So my Suggestion: Either turn up the means of fighting this corruption (higher bonuses from those buildings) or decrease the corruption penalty from bigger cities and imperium level. in the end i was only able to hold those 4 legions when i had them standing in a settlement with the roman colonies building which gives them -30% upkeep.

- economics seems random. my income jumped around like crazy. Not just because of the seasons but in general. one year my income was (spring: +8k, Summer +12k, autumn +20k, winter -2k); next year (spring: -18k, summer: -14k, autumn -16k(!), winter -26k) and that just send you flying over the cliff with everything. Because not even disbanding all your forces helps here. with -23k income and you pay for all military only 6k its just senseless. its province upkeep which kills you.
    Is there still some attila mechanic which periodically decreases fertility, thus explaining those heavy income hits?

-Is there some hidden mechanic which costs you a lot after conquering a new region? sometimes after a time of peace i send one legion to capture one new settlement. Yes during the siege my upkeep was much higher and i had a little less income. then after i conquered the city my income was completly gone and i lost 10-20k every turn, even in summer and autumn. a few turns later everything was back to normal, but i coudnt even think of starting a war without having at least 200-300k in my treasury. because it was everytime all gone after i finished the war and captured a few new settlements.

-which brings me to Public Order: the high penalities because of native discontent are fine at first and realistic. But after 100+ turns of controlling a region, with latin culture 70%+ you still have that -20 to -30 penalty to PO if you build tribute settlement buildings and the auction off farming tree, that is kinda hard. But you need this income because of the corruption mentioned earlier.

- also all the political stuff feels a little bit random sometimes. i had a few turns where i had 0 political support and i dont know why. Shortly before the civil war (yes i had one at around turn 230-300) you have all the loyalty warnings, because a lot of the characters had more influence than my ruler. ok good. i always give my leader and the heir all the + influence perks there are available, so they get at least 5,6 influence/turn. the the warnings came and i used my other familymembers to secure the loyalty of those other chars. But not my leader, cause i wanted him to have high influence. After 20-30 turns of constant loyalty securing my leader only got like 10 influence more which is rather weird, because before that he was earning way more. so here my question: is there a hidden mechanic which kinda forces you into a civil war after a certain turn number? it kinda feels like that way.

So in conclusion: Love the battles, they work really good and nice. also all the micro managment in the provinces and all that stuff, taking the right govenor with certain traits etc. to max out trade/industry or agriculture (depends on province) really great and cool.
    but then, when you thought you build the perfect provinces, everything works fine, gold flows into your treasury and then BOOOM. -20k income every turn and you despair. you can do nothing but after a few turns it ends and you have to build up everything again. and then the next crisis. it all feels random you kinda are powerless to prevent it and i dont know whats causing this. my income in the province italia changed from only 6k to up to 20k and then back again. and i didnt change a single building, govenor or anything..just..random.

yeah but still fun to play. If someone can explain those hits on my economics it would be great

For the last 12 battles, I have intentionally tried to kill my general. I simply can not. The general unit retreats long before ever having the chance of dying, last attempt involved standing on the coast in front of 3 artillery ships.
    The HP for generals is ridiculous! It has generally taken pinning down a general unit with a melee cavalry AND THEN ATTACKING THEM WITH ELEPHANTS, if I don't want to wait half an hour on fast forward.

At this point, I feel like I'm going to have to change the values of morale bonuses and negatives until units don't retreat at all.

i start the campaign june 16. when was the 1.01k update again ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    i start the campaign june 16. when was the 1.01k update again ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    it was also nordic rebel that spawn on caralis island if that can help

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

Would it be possible for culture to have an influence on taxes?

Imagine it like this: when you conquer a region, you basically only have the regional capital under your control.
    If the previous faction is culturally similar to you, you can use existing structures to gather taxes.
    If not, you will have to establish control over the numerous existing settlements of the native population.

Increasing your culture basically means that you either colonise the land or gain control over/make deals with native settlements.
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me