Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 245

Thread: [Feedback] Suggestions & Improvements thread

  1. #1

    Icon3 [Feedback] Suggestions & Improvements thread

    I felt a dedicated feedback thread was sorely lacking on this board.

    Discuss your own ideas for the mod, critiques and ways to improve the faction or mechanics that you love. Feel free to also drop gameplay questions here and we will do our best to help each other
    Last edited by Sheridan; June 18, 2018 at 11:17 AM.
    Campaign modder for Ancient Empires


  2. #2
    1.Spear's Avatar Civis
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Teutoburge Forest is right around the corner
    Posts
    160

    Default Re: [Feedback] Suggestions & Improvements thread

    Hello AE-team. I thought I have read a while ago, that maybe Sparta would get the chance for a comeback. Could this be possible???

  3. #3
    The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Content Staff
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    I wash my hands of this weirdness!
    Posts
    4,376

    Default Re: [Feedback] Suggestions & Improvements thread

    More dilemmas - they feel too far and few in between.
    The political situation could do with some explaining - I'm struggling to maintain absolute support.
    I can't remember where it was, but I played Darthmod NTW and I won a series of battles - the event pic came: The people are in a surge of your victories abroad! - Would love something like this to happen. But if I lose battles - then the opposite.
    Any possible way to implement cinematics? I would love something for this. RTW 2 has plenty of cinematics to put as well as custom ones. Benjin did a mod for this in DEI.
    More work on Eastern cities! I would like to play large scale cities in the future - but Eastern cities could do with some love.
    A camera mod that can zoom into cities of the campaign map.
    Last edited by The Wandering Storyteller; June 18, 2018 at 03:14 PM.





















































  4. #4

    Default Re: [Feedback] Suggestions & Improvements thread

    Dilemmas is something we all want very badly. But you'll have to wait. I have to say we have some really interesting events we want add in.

    As for Sparta, there is nowhere in the campaign map to put them I'm afraid. They are part of the Achaean league though
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

    AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

  5. #5
    The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Content Staff
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    I wash my hands of this weirdness!
    Posts
    4,376

    Default Re: [Feedback] Suggestions & Improvements thread

    Sounds great!





















































  6. #6

    Default Re: [Feedback] Suggestions & Improvements thread

    Plz add much more playable factions and fix some bugs for now

  7. #7

    Default Re: [Feedback] Suggestions & Improvements thread

    Two subjects immediately come to mind. Forewarning that this is mostly from the PoV of the available Hellenistic nations as those are the ones I have the most experience in.

    1. Buildings: While I love the many hallmarks of Europa Barbarorum in the mod, the execution of the building system leaves much to be desired, in my humble opinion. Right now there is a large number of building lines, several of which are of questionable utility or are quite similar in function to other lines. For example, you have two Sanitation chains, one called Hydrogogion, which seems to represent public water works, baths, fountains, etc. The other is a water supply chain which represents wells, cisterns, and canals.

    They both give equal amounts of sanitation, and the secondary benefits are somewhat backwards. The public water works gives an irrigation bonus whereas the water supply gives public order. To start with, surely that should be the other way around? However more to the point, why not just combine the two since they are so similar and the differences so trivial; most historically major urbanized region would have had have both at some point.

    From a gameplay perspective the ambiguity between only serves to confuse players while at the same time offering them very little real ability to specialize. This is because we of course must work around the hard(ish?)coded building slot limit with and over 20 building chains, some of which a player would arguably never build, and others which are unnecessarily complex, branching unnecessarily to offer the player a choice between extremely similar bonuses such as in the urban slum building chain.

    I hope I was able to express the perceived problem and suggestion in a clear way. Let me know if something needs to be clarified.

    TLDR: The number of available building chains is vast yet the differences between a number of them are quite trivial.

    2. Garrisons: Something of a minor issue, but I find it odd how every one of my cities is guarded by a large number of elite professional soldiers. Palmyra's default garrison includes 3 Hypaspists, 2 Silver Shield Phalangitai and 4 Silver Shield Thorakitai. This is the basic setup of almost every one of my cities as it were. This seems totally out of place to me. Surely provincial garrisons should consist mostly of local militia, with maybe one or two mid tier professional units, but should by no means consist almost entirely of elite royal guardsmen and elite professional infantry, except perhaps for the capitol and even then not in those numbers.

    Historically this is totally off base, and as far as a pure game design consideration goes, it's hard to ever lose a city when even your most remote provincial settlements are defended by a minimum of 9 top tier infantry.

    I apologize for any inaccuracies in this post as I'm still not wholly familiar with the mods features. These are just my initial observations from the few campaigns I've done.

  8. #8

    Default Re: [Feedback] Suggestions & Improvements thread

    Idk if this can work, but i was thinking for example adding cities from rome total war vanilla they were the best, u could see the progress when u build a larger city better walls etc those were the best thing for sure. Now every city looks the same its just totaly i don't like it at all

  9. #9

    Default Re: [Feedback] Suggestions & Improvements thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Rendon View Post
    Two subjects immediately come to mind. Forewarning that this is mostly from the PoV of the available Hellenistic nations as those are the ones I have the most experience in.

    1. Buildings: While I love the many hallmarks of Europa Barbarorum in the mod, the execution of the building system leaves much to be desired, in my humble opinion. Right now there is a large number of building lines, several of which are of questionable utility or are quite similar in function to other lines. For example, you have two Sanitation chains, one called Hydrogogion, which seems to represent public water works, baths, fountains, etc. The other is a water supply chain which represents wells, cisterns, and canals.

    They both give equal amounts of sanitation, and the secondary benefits are somewhat backwards. The public water works gives an irrigation bonus whereas the water supply gives public order. To start with, surely that should be the other way around? However more to the point, why not just combine the two since they are so similar and the differences so trivial; most historically major urbanized region would have had have both at some point.

    From a gameplay perspective the ambiguity between only serves to confuse players while at the same time offering them very little real ability to specialize. This is because we of course must work around the hard(ish?)coded building slot limit with and over 20 building chains, some of which a player would arguably never build, and others which are unnecessarily complex, branching unnecessarily to offer the player a choice between extremely similar bonuses such as in the urban slum building chain.

    I hope I was able to express the perceived problem and suggestion in a clear way. Let me know if something needs to be clarified.

    TLDR: The number of available building chains is vast yet the differences between a number of them are quite trivial.

    2. Garrisons: Something of a minor issue, but I find it odd how every one of my cities is guarded by a large number of elite professional soldiers. Palmyra's default garrison includes 3 Hypaspists, 2 Silver Shield Phalangitai and 4 Silver Shield Thorakitai. This is the basic setup of almost every one of my cities as it were. This seems totally out of place to me. Surely provincial garrisons should consist mostly of local militia, with maybe one or two mid tier professional units, but should by no means consist almost entirely of elite royal guardsmen and elite professional infantry, except perhaps for the capitol and even then not in those numbers.

    Historically this is totally off base, and as far as a pure game design consideration goes, it's hard to ever lose a city when even your most remote provincial settlements are defended by a minimum of 9 top tier infantry.

    I apologize for any inaccuracies in this post as I'm still not wholly familiar with the mods features. These are just my initial observations from the few campaigns I've done.
    Mistakes tend to slip through with well over 10,000 database entries

    I have corrected the aqueducts. But if you feel the building system leaves much to be desired, I don't think I can help. It's about as diverse as it gets with the limited number of effects and building slots taken into consideration.

    As for garrisons, I can only agree, and Hellenistic ones aren't finished. Roman and Eastern garrisons represent what we have in mind in terms of size, quality and diversity of units. This will be copied over to the Greeks shortly.
    Campaign modder for Ancient Empires


  10. #10
    GM207's Avatar Semisalis
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mew York
    Posts
    497

    Default Re: [Feedback] Suggestions & Improvements thread

    I would like to make a suggestion to have the Centurions look like in this picture, particularly the helmets, what do you guys think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rome-2-Total-War.png  

  11. #11
    Eladryel's Avatar Foederatus
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Far Far Away
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: [Feedback] Suggestions & Improvements thread

    First of all, I love this mod, it has great potential and I appreciate your hard work. Starting the carthaginian campaign with the battle of Zama is cool idea, I like it... well, I used to like it, but now I hate it, because I restarted my campaign several times, and sadly the autoresolve isn't viable. I think, the Native Discontent is still a bit harsh at the start, my provinces keep revolting, and I don't have enough time, money or army to do anything about it. It's challanging, but sometimes frustrating a bit. Aaaand any chance for Epirus? I really miss it from the map. For me, at least. And sorry for my potato English.

  12. #12
    Maetharin's Avatar Senator
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    1,474

    Default Re: [Feedback] Suggestions & Improvements thread

    edit: sry wrong thread
    Last edited by Maetharin; June 20, 2018 at 03:07 PM.
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

    Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

    "I concur!"

    ​Me

  13. #13
    Julio-Claudian's Avatar Senator
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Britannia
    Posts
    1,169

    Default Re: [Feedback] Suggestions & Improvements thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Petellius View Post
    Dilemmas is something we all want very badly. But you'll have to wait. I have to say we have some really interesting events we want add in.

    As for Sparta, there is nowhere in the campaign map to put them I'm afraid. They are part of the Achaean league though
    If somebody could tell me all of the tables that would need to be edited I will happily spend my evenings creating more dilemmas. I've been thinking about it since I found out about this mod and I remember there being a thread where we were all coming up with ideas. Or if you have specific things you want to have you could tell me what to do.

  14. #14

    Default Re: [Feedback] Suggestions & Improvements thread

    Mints

    It is my understanding that during the Republic the job of minting coinage belonged to low level magistrates: Aediles and Quaestors. The minting was done in Italy. Yes, there were some provincial coins minted, but those were pretty much used just for local commerce.

    Currently in the game, mints are an exploitable feature that have very little resemblance to real life. Oh, I exploit them, too. But I know I should not be able to build mints in every province.

    I would recommend that provincial mints be limited to one or two levels of building: perhaps just copper and bronze coins. (I would change the order of improvements so that silver and gold are the third and fourth build.) Make such mints available only to independent cities: copper at 2nd level city, bronze at 3rd level city. Make only Latin cities capable to build silver and gold level mints, and limit that to only third and fourth level cities.

    I know that what i am recommending is not exactly historical, but it makes much better historic sense for game purposes. Plus, it removes the temptation to exploit the ability to make yourself rich easily. Save me from my own greedy impulses.

  15. #15

    Default Re: [Feedback] Suggestions & Improvements thread

    - LESS garrison units in low tier town center and more once its upgraded

    - more aggressive CAI (taking settlements)

    - high tier units not available at the start

  16. #16

    Default Re: [Feedback] Suggestions & Improvements thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zom View Post
    Mints

    It is my understanding that during the Republic the job of minting coinage belonged to low level magistrates: Aediles and Quaestors. The minting was done in Italy. Yes, there were some provincial coins minted, but those were pretty much used just for local commerce.

    Currently in the game, mints are an exploitable feature that have very little resemblance to real life. Oh, I exploit them, too. But I know I should not be able to build mints in every province.

    I would recommend that provincial mints be limited to one or two levels of building: perhaps just copper and bronze coins. (I would change the order of improvements so that silver and gold are the third and fourth build.) Make such mints available only to independent cities: copper at 2nd level city, bronze at 3rd level city. Make only Latin cities capable to build silver and gold level mints, and limit that to only third and fourth level cities.

    I know that what i am recommending is not exactly historical, but it makes much better historic sense for game purposes. Plus, it removes the temptation to exploit the ability to make yourself rich easily. Save me from my own greedy impulses.
    I like the suggestions. Will be included in the update
    Campaign modder for Ancient Empires


  17. #17

    Default Re: [Feedback] Suggestions & Improvements thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Julio-Claudian View Post
    If somebody could tell me all of the tables that would need to be edited I will happily spend my evenings creating more dilemmas. I've been thinking about it since I found out about this mod and I remember there being a thread where we were all coming up with ideas. Or if you have specific things you want to have you could tell me what to do.
    I can guide you through the basics of dilemmas and events with my limited experience in the area. Send me a PM with your email adress and I'll invite you to our Slack where we can talk
    Campaign modder for Ancient Empires


  18. #18

    Default Re: [Feedback] Suggestions & Improvements thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yarev View Post
    - LESS garrison units in low tier town center and more once its upgraded
    This is in progress. Most Hellenistic garrisons will be rebalanced in the next update.

    In terms of CAI - I think reworking the garrisons may indirectly have a positive impact on its tendency to attack. However, its settlement occupation decisions need to be more carefully looked into.

    The units you mention, are there any in particular you have in mind?
    Campaign modder for Ancient Empires


  19. #19

    Default Re: [Feedback] Suggestions & Improvements thread

    Just wondering, will the next update concerning garrisons require a full restart?

  20. #20

    Default Re: [Feedback] Suggestions & Improvements thread

    [IMG] WTF these stats.jpg[/IMG]Is the rebel stat suppose to be godlike like in the picture??Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WTF these stats.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	307.1 KB 
ID:	353826

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •