Thread: Has anyone witnessed AI use shield castle?

Foederatus

Default Has anyone witnessed AI use shield castle?

I've been playing this game since launch and I have yet to see AI use the siege castle formation. I recently played a battle where my men were raining arrows into their undefended ranks, while my men were safely locked into formation and took few casualties. Inevitably the battle soon tipped in my favour.

Anyway, I'm very curious to see if anyone has seen it used by the computer?

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Has anyone witnessed AI use shield castle?

Most formations in any Warscape game are problematically used by the AI anyway.

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    Most formations in any Warscape game are problematically used by the AI anyway.

That gives the player a distinct advantage, which kind of spoils the challenge. It's something they need to correct then.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by largejack View Post
    That gives the player a distinct advantage, which kind of spoils the challenge. It's something they need to correct then.
    Indeed. Let's hope for the best,though the chances for it to getting patched aren't that good.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

That is strange. Early on, I saw them use Shield Castle rather often. However, this was at the start of the battle in their default deployment formation. Perhaps they don't reactivate Shield Castle once they change positions.

While I can't give an exact percentage of how often I have seen the enemy use the special shield formation, I have seen them use it in many battles at some point.
    I just fought a battle today in the rain where the enemy army seemed to not want to charge at all, so the whole infantry line went into shield formation. I had them outnumbered infantry-wise, but they might of had one or two more missile units than me, so that might have had something to do with it.

One has to remember that this stance can only be used when the unit is imobile and in most field battles once you are in missile range of each other the A.I. rarely stands around soaking up arrows and javelins. However, many times I have seen a sword unit (usually the general's unit) hold back while the rest of the army makes contact. If they start taking missile fire they will go into the formation.

Also--every time you assault a walled city, the commanding general's unit always camps out back at the center of the settlement taking no part in the assault on the walls. After you have taken the walls--essentially defeating or routing everyone else--then your army has to make the trek to the city center to take out the commander/governor's unit. If your archers are along and still have enough ammo left to start firing on them, they will go into the shield castle formation some of the time. Other times, they may charge your infantry based on how close you let your infantry get. The enemy commander's morale level will determine how quickly the victory button comes up---sometimes just as they start taking fire and sometimes after a bit of fighting with your troops.

Cheers
    Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!