Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: WORLD CUP: Russia 2018 Commentary Thread

Default Re: WORLD CUP: Russia 2018 Commentary Thread

Spain and Croatia seem the obvious picks. Though Croats are known for their self-sabotaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    Spain and Croatia seem the obvious picks. Though Croats are known for their self-sabotaging.
    I agree. Would be fun to see Croatia winning the WC though. With Germany and Iran out, I'm rooting for Denmark and Sweden, but I don't think either of them are good enough to make it to the semifinals.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

I don't think Russia could beat Spain today but this Cup is full of surprises.
    As for Croatia, I believe they will easily knock out Denmark.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; July 01, 2018 at 10:02 AM.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Spain looking nervous, surprising given the experience in that team... 1 - 1..

Most boring game. I was surprised from how badly Spain played so far. No action, no aggression at all. Just passing game. You can't beat a serious opponent by playing like that.

Spain is doing the useless in this World Cup, besides it doesn't stop making mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Croatia have been classy and are a dark horse for the final....
    I agree. I can see them int final, especially in this bracket. Belgium is the other team I can see in the final, though France is starting to show class.

After yesterday the first 45 abysmal. Thi is Spain 750 passes in the middle third. Take a chance Spain, you may score more!

Spain is undoubtedly a more powerful team. The quality of the Spanish players is unmatched, but sadly they can't play as a team.

Macunaíma's Avatar Campidoctor

I wonder if Spain's poor performance so far in the Cup has anything to do with their late coach change. But that probably has nothing to do with their boring style of play, since they won in 2010 playing the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Spain looking nervous, surprising given the experience in that team... 1 - 1..
    I think the Spanish federation did a gigantic mistake firing Lopetegui. You check his results, Spain dominated the qualifiers, smashed 6-1 Argentina and looked terrific. In this tournament, they have been unimpressive, considering their potental, all along. This match is not different from their poor performance against Iran and Morocco.

South American solidarity, I suppose.
    Weird coming from a Brazilian dude. I Mean usually Argentina is your rival, and Brazilian ppl cant stand Argentinians. ( always making fun of them etc. Much like the Portuguese now that i can think of it).

So Argentina and Portugal are out - didn't exactly expect that. France seems like they could win the WC this time around. I kinda wanna bet on them now. They weren't too terrible in 2014, either.
    Pff Portugal played like the whole tournament, the only game i see them playing good, its the one they lose ( Uruguay went forward like 4 times the whole game and scored two.) ... go figures, its football after all.
    Argentina was more then expected imo. They have zero organization no clue how to play as team, with an abysmal defense and mediocre midfield. Versus France they relied more on guts and individual inspiration to make a difference.

Lots of it stems from scandals, and instability on the federation, as well bad coaching.

So Argentina and Portugal are out - didn't exactly expect that. France seems like they could win the WC this time around. I kinda wanna bet on them now. They weren't too terrible in 2014, either.
    Anyway so far i feel Spain should pack a bag, after this shameful display against Russia...

So far...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    I think the Spanish federation did a gigantic mistake firing Lopetegui. You check his results, Spain dominated the qualifiers, smashed 6-1 Argentina and looked terrific. In this tournament, they have been unimpressive, considering their potental, all along. This match is not different from their poor performance against Iran and Morocco.
    Was he fired?,, I thought he walked out for the Real job..

Spain just look void of ideas. Can't blame the Russians for the defensive tactics, hope they have enough energy for extra time..

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Weird coming from a Brazilian dude. I Mean usually Argentina is your rival, and Brazilian ppl cant stand Argentinians. ( always making fun of them etc. Much like the Portuguese now that i can think of it).
    I don't know. I pull for Mexico despite the rivalry (US)

-----

Spain seemed more afraid to lose possession than risk the chance of scoring.
    If Spain manages to win this game, I do not see them getting past Croatia and if they face Denmark we would be treated to one of the most unimaginable games possible.

Macunaíma's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    I don't share this aversion for Argentinians many Brazilians have. Of course they're our rivals, but I'd rather they do good and be defeated by Brazil than be eliminated playing this bad. Also, I was hoping for an Argentina x Uruguay quarter final.

On the current match, it is the worst in the knockout stage so far. Absolutely boring. Spain has great players but lacks objectivity with this "pass to the side" game. Russia seems phisically dead now. If Spain scores now will be solely because of this factor. Russia could have explored counter-attacks more instead of just staying on their own field defending. Spain lacks a solid defense.

Russia is already classified. If there are no unforeseen events, the penalties will be thrown and De Gea will not stop any. What a disaster of team...

Blog Entries

Games opened up, both going for it..

Was he fired?,, I thought he walked out for the Real job..
    He signed for Real while he was still Spanish manager, a few days before the start of WC. So the federation fired him.

I don't know. I pull for Mexico despite the rivalry (US)
    Im pulling for Mexico too , it has been my favorite team to watch so far in this tournament. Besides there is quite a few of their players playing in the Portuguese league. ( Herrera is the F.C. Porto Captain, the team i support nationally, for example. But Reyes, Corona, Layun are also Porto players.)

Spain lacks spirit and ideas. The team is obviously not in right mind, it looks to me that they're playing it too safely, concerned more about not making individual mistake than winning. Typical for a team that's not motivated, not holding together. The coach change is most likely main culprit.

And Russian team is exhausted, they're not in shape to run with the best whole 90 minutes, and they won't fully recover from this match in time.

Whoever wins penalty shootout won't get past next round.

Blog Entries

Wow... Brutal....

Great save by Akinfeev. FM08 was right.